Pages:
Author

Topic: Historic Cryptogenic Bullion thread - CLOSED - page 26. (Read 286609 times)

Activity: 120
Merit: 100
lost heaps btc on this coin, the price never rise up!!!
Activity: 285
Merit: 255
I found another site/place that accepts CGB. Smiley

http://www.vintageoriginalposters.com/Infopage.php

Those Spock ears are sweet but 50K USD damn....
Activity: 553
Merit: 500
Solo Miner Legend
I found another site/place that accepts CGB. Smiley

http://www.vintageoriginalposters.com/Infopage.php
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
Morning!! Fabulous clear Winter morning, with Eric and Mrs. Eric Emu eating wheat just outside the window.

Majormax, PSD has a media promotion in hand. Could you write a text on POS coins?? I sure wish I understood more about them.

And: ten days to beta:

cryptomall.com.au

Mark, Australia

Here's a bit of text which gives a few pointers:

Proof of Stake is an alternative method to Proof of Work (standard mining) and it does a similar job in verifying transactions by adding a new block to the chain (which I will call 'minting' in order to differentiate from PoW mining). The new blocks perform the task of adding transactions to the permanent ledger, and as a reward, the wallet which minted the block gets a reward proportional to the coins held ( in a specific chunk) within that wallet.

Every open wallet can participate in the search for new blocks, the only qualification being the ownership of coins with a minimum 'age' ie having been unmoved at the same address for a minimum period of time, 30 days in the case of CGB. The minting is similar to mining, in that it is probabilistic, dependent on a combination of size of chunk, age of coins and CPU power. All wallets on the network are competing to find PoS blocks, and those chunks with greatest 'weight' (age*size) have advantage, although everything gets there eventually.

To 'mint' or mine stake (Proof Of Stake), your wallet has to be open, unlocked, and contain at least some coins of the minium required 'age'. That means they would have to have been in the wallet , untouched for 30 days + in the case of CGB. The rate of new PoS coins minted is usually expressed as an annual percentage rate, of the qualifying coins.

Proof of Stake is considered more secure from a '51%' attack than proof of work, as control of the majority of the coins (ownership) would be required in addition to 51% of the network hashpower in order to change blocks.

Observed Mechanics:

After some time with the wallet open, an incoming transaction appears , corresponding to the amount of coins staked on each qualifying 'chunk' in the wallet. So if the stake % was , say 365%pa, that would be 1 coin per day (of coin age) per 100 coin chunk (365 coins per annum).

When your wallet has minted some stake, the whole balance used for minting (which qualified by virtue of being at least 30 days old) is transferred to 'stake' section.....When 50 confirmations are reached, everything transfers back to 'Balance'. The ageing process then begins again, but you now have two chunks for every one that minted (halved, but with stake added). When they reach 30 days old again, the wallet attempts to mint more stake. The chunks of coin are split smaller and smaller at each staking, and that is why 'coin control' is an essential tool in the wallet , otherwise the minting process can eventually grind to a halt with the blockchain being full of 'dust'.

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Current List of CryptoTown Malls (CryptoMalls)

Please see the Reddit post.
Consider holding a bit of Cryptogenic Bullion (CGB). To find out why, read a bit and ask some questions; experience the consultancy culture. - papersheepdog on Twitter
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010
Bought some more cheap CGB's  Cheesy

Sorry I can't be around for the celebration. I'm enjoying a vacation in France. Fishing on the huge basin of Arcachon, burned by the sun, barbecues with big steaks and wine. YAY.  Grin

Don't worry about the price, buy more...
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Hi Guys, lots of going lately, however the price is dropping and dropping, this could have something to do with the low volume (by design)... or am I wrong?
I'm wondering if someone could summerize the current phase cgb is in, and what the concrete steps will be for the next period.. (e.g. cgb lifecycle, availability artiface/new developers?, new client eta?, new functionality? etc..)

Excellent questions menno1986, and I understand the sentiment. I can only offer a few things:

1. The price is reflecting a downtrend that's been in play for a long time (see the latest chart posted to Reddit).  It seems that many altcoins are on this trajectory where it doesn't matter what's happening, the "market" is steadily declining. Regardless of actual fundamentals per coin.

2. An interesting twist on this would be that the price is being manipulated overall (along with other coins perhaps?) Check this link Entrenched Interests, Lost Direction, and Stagnation in the Crypto-Currency Markets We already know this thing happens in virtually every "real world" market (precious metals, foreign exchange, bonds, equities, libor, etc), why not also in unregulated internet markets?

In order to get a real handle on the most recent drive to create real value, re-read the last few Weekly updates! Smiley CryptoTown is a big part of this. It's a campaign of education and consultancy. Consider the following transitions and balances:

Cryptocurrencies overall: Obscurity – Capitalization - Mining and Speculation – Adoption
Monetary system:  Centralized (debt based fiat) -> Decentralized (hard asset backing - a new balance is found between extremes)

By helping to define and advance these ideas, we see more clearly what fundamental action will make sense. CryptoTown is the result of this analysis.

ps. I wouldn't say CGB is low volume by design (though I have heard it mentioned). Volume is a function of the utility and demand, a byproduct. I prefer to look to the gold market to draw parallels; the gold market is highly liquid because it's widely trusted and used. CGB more simply, can better withstand low volume as it's price isn't constantly used to purchase products or otherwise spend. Investors also realize that there are only ever going to be just over 1 Million CGB. Price going up or down doesn't change that.

Thanks for your insight and explanation PSD, putting all in perspective I really believe there is a bright future ahead for CGB in combination with CryptoTown.. CGB has an unique specification and it deserves to be noticed on a big scale, this will happen sooner or later!
Hi Guys, lots of going lately, however the price is dropping and dropping, this could have something to do with the low volume (by design)... or am I wrong?
I'm wondering if someone could summerize the current phase cgb is in, and what the concrete steps will be for the next period.. (e.g. cgb lifecycle, availability artiface/new developers?, new client eta?, new functionality? etc..)

Excellent questions menno1986, and I understand the sentiment. I can only offer a few things:

1. The price is reflecting a downtrend that's been in play for a long time (see the latest chart posted to Reddit).  It seems that many altcoins are on this trajectory where it doesn't matter what's happening, the "market" is steadily declining. Regardless of actual fundamentals per coin.

2. An interesting twist on this would be that the price is being manipulated overall (along with other coins perhaps?) Check this link Entrenched Interests, Lost Direction, and Stagnation in the Crypto-Currency Markets We already know this thing happens in virtually every "real world" market (precious metals, foreign exchange, bonds, equities, libor, etc), why not also in unregulated internet markets?

In order to get a real handle on the most recent drive to create real value, re-read the last few Weekly updates! Smiley CryptoTown is a big part of this. It's a campaign of education and consultancy. Consider the following transitions and balances:

Cryptocurrencies overall: Obscurity – Capitalization - Mining and Speculation – Adoption
Monetary system:  Centralized (debt based fiat) -> Decentralized (hard asset backing - a new balance is found between extremes)

By helping to define and advance these ideas, we see more clearly what fundamental action will make sense. CryptoTown is the result of this analysis.

ps. I wouldn't say CGB is low volume by design (though I have heard it mentioned). Volume is a function of the utility and demand, a byproduct. I prefer to look to the gold market to draw parallels; the gold market is highly liquid because it's widely trusted and used. CGB more simply, can better withstand low volume as it's price isn't constantly used to purchase products or otherwise spend. Investors also realize that there are only ever going to be just over 1 Million CGB. Price going up or down doesn't change that.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0

Morning!! Fabulous clear Winter morning, with Eric and Mrs. Eric Emu eating wheat just outside the window.

Majormax, PSD has a media promotion in hand. Could you write a text on POS coins?? I sure wish I understood more about them.

And: ten days to beta:

cryptomall.com.au

Mark, Australia

Sure, I can ,and have, written much about PoS...There are a lot of aspects to understanding PoS. Really depends what level of technicality you are looking at, and whether it is specific to one coin, or general.

A list of questions, so that I could compile FAQ would be a good start.

I could actually think of two different things that could use some experienced development. One would be, as Blair suggestd, a more broad document explaining the difference between PoW and PoS for security as well as reward mechanism. Another would be a little more specific. We are putting together an article for this particular media promotion and one section within it may have say 200 words about "what makes CGB unique and pioneering." I loved the point that Elambert made a few posts back:

CGB was one of the first PoS coins, one of the first to implement the accelerated subsidy halving, one of the first to move to PoS as a higher payout than PoW. All coins (even Bitcoin) will at some point in their life cycle come to a cross road where they have to either move away from appeasing miners or change their code and word to their earlier adopters. We are just a trend setter here again. CGB has, and in my opinion should continue to logically envision the path ahead and move proactively rather than in a reactionary manner.

That's along the lines of what I would like to include, but it will also need some more fundamental investor focused stuff on what the advantages really are in a competition sense to PoW. Possibly some detail on the Hybrid nature of CGB. This piece would be a couple well constructed sentences, but feel free to contribute to the development of the overall article (as we discuss it further).

By the way Majormax, I have to acknowledge how much I appreciate a good debate as well as the client compiling assistance you have provided in the past. This goes to VonSpass as well: I am delighted to have your input and actually get drawn into the discussion irresistibly sometimes. Grin

papersheepdog, Canada

I better note this while it's fresh in my mind. I am just updating the website right now. I noticed we also don't have a section on minting, specifically how to do it, the fundamentals behind it, etc. I would like to have a box just for minting interest and a few docs within it. Check the Resources page, it would sit in the middle of the top section. Anyone is welcome to come up with some pieces, and we can work together to get it polished and posted.

Edit: Added to the Community - Development section of the CGB website.

Minting/Interest HOWTO: The website doesn't have a section on minting, specifically how to do it, the fundamentals behind it, etc. I would like to have a box just for minting interest and a few docs within it. Check the Resources page, it would sit in the middle of the top section.  See forum post for more context.

I would like to quickly add that the reason this is important is that it's one of the innovations that differentiate us from Bitcoin or Dogecoin for example. It also lends very well to the store of wealth use case which we promote.
Development Workshop - CryptoTown On The Ground | 100 CGB reward giveaway!

Please also see the Reddit post for further discussion.

This project is an open collaboration between all who wish to participate. In this spirit, we will maintain official development workshops to help capture lessons learned from experiences "on the ground."

This is a persistent post, it will be linked on the SideBar of the /r/CryptoTown subReddit.

Anyone who wants to contribute an idea simply comments on the Reddit post.

The main product of this discussion is The Official CryptoTown Guide.

The project itself may also be discussed or developed here (Reddit post).

Bonus: I will be giving away a total of 100 CGB by the end of the month in tips at the development workshop to participants with the most insightful and constructive contributions to the project.
legendary
Activity: 1696
Merit: 1008
Contest #4!
This contest is aimed at spreading word of one of the major projects that CGB is currently partnered with, CryptoTown! This is an enormous project aimed at bridging the gap between cryptos and real world local users and merchants and is not nation, coin or person specific. This is for all coin communities! The CGB team has a series of numbers selected and will give away 10 CGB to the corresponding individual from each group of 10 to carry out the below assignment.

1. Favorite and retweet the 'Contest # 4 tweet'
2. Subscribes to this Reddit
3. Reply to the Reddit post with a verbal vote of support, your CGB address and sign with your user name and nation (ex: elambert, USA)

Lets get started!

Countdown to CGB's BDAY Contest # 4 continues! Also, the CGB tipbot has been activated over at r/CrytpoTown!  Wink

[ANN] CryptoTown On The Ground - Open community project

Please refer to original Announcement Thread, this is a copy

Development of the CryptoTown On The Ground project is well under way. Many lessons have already been learned as we stretch out into new facets of cryptocurrency adoption. This project has been progressing over at the /r/GotCrypto subReddit, until recently, when the new /r/CryptoTown subReddit, and twitter pages were announced. I have posted some screencaps down below to get a quick idea. I hope this topic can serve as a bridge from CryptoTown to the greater cryptosphere. Questions are very much appreciated.

The CryptoTown On The Ground project aims to develop a comprehensive guide and the resources necessary for starting and participating in what we call a CryptoMall. A CryptoMall is a directory and network of businesses, investors, and consultants maintained by a "management" group of volunteers who act as advocates and consultants on the frontier of cryptocurrency adoption.

The Official CryptoTown Guide (or PDF Version 0.1G)

CryptoTown Website (not yet avail)

CryptoTown on Bitcointalk

CryptoTown on Twitter

Development Workshop
CryptoTown on Twitter!

Please also see the Reddit post for further discussion.

https://twitter.com/CryptoTown/status/480223219199524864 - Pls Follow/Retweet
IMZ
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Workin' on the Directory. This is from yesterday's Workshop:

"Wow, Paper!! There are plenty of business (principally the small ones run by coiners) that are amenable to accepting more coins.
Thus, Mark's looney idea of 'proto merchant facility' becomes a very real possibility. If every CGB-er in the world start tracking down the closest Bitcoin-accepting businesses, and offers to buy for fiat all CGB that they take if they accept CGB, and also offer to work to draw CGB-ers to that business, the world is our oyster.
The consultancy can be realised through the networking.
Finally (I'm gonna re-post this at home base), here's a theoretical prediction:
the growth of the dark coins will not come until the GFC starts gettin' really ugly. Meanwhile, the development will be 'above ground' -- which doesn't mean that peer-to-peer sales can't become a primary dynamic.
I suspect that coins like Dark Coin will have a hard time advancing from their present stage: how do you build a merchant network from a base of super-in-the-Net people?? And if you don't, how does the coin develop?
Canny coiners can 'piggyback' thus: you can use any coin clandestinely -- that's one network. You can use any coin as a base for development -- that's the coinsultancy, another network. You can develop that coin itself -- that's a third string to your bow.

Mark Blair, Australia
I thoroughly believe that CGB should stick to its guns and not change a thing about how the PoW and PoS systems are currently implemented.  Altering them will dilute one of CGBs primary USPs by making it less rare and more importantly send the message "hey guys, we got it wrong" to investors which could end up scaring them off.

What we need to do is encourage investment, this amounts (amongst other things) to higher volume trade, far greater public awareness/discussion and a steadily increasing price.

To achieve this I would propose that we implement a dedicated, highly professional and informative multi-pool (lets find a better name than 'multi-pool' it sounds unprofessional IMO) directly controlled by the CGB core team.

This will have a number of advantages:

• Miners will be encouraged back into the fold with a higher CGB payout than directly mining it; increasing CGB's public profile and getting people excited/talking about CGB once again
  • The CGB purchased from the multi-pool's profits (over a carefully selected number of exchanges) will increase trade volume and help to drive the price up slowly and controllably.
  • A percentage of the the multi-pool's hash rate could actually help directly mine CGB to keep its hash rate up (NB. profits from CGB mining would be added directly to the multi-pool payout pot and not sold)

The absolute key to all of this is to implement it in a highly professional manor (CGB's track record here is exemplary), lots of real-time graphs, predicted profit v direct mining, CGB news/rumour mill etc. All of this will have positive impact of CGB's public image, raise its profile and hopefully encourage both investors and large mining outfits to re-join the CGB family.

FR

Hey FiniteRed, thanks for the excellent post! I just wanted to clarify that I am not opposed in any way to the community coming up with such a multipool. Reason being that it makes little sense to try to stop something that you can't. As for putting Core Team resources toward this, we would love to (though so many other projects would take priority if we had the current ability) , and if there was a developer who could get it done, we would be happy to have them on board to give it a go. My official position is that I don't believe it truly adds to the value of CGB as the demand could be argued to be artificial. If its a matter of miner convenience, then yes I could see it as being fairly popular. I think that you are absolutely right. If we were to do such a thing, we would need to be very clear on the fundamentals of what it actually achieves (miner convenience).

Edit: Added to the Community - Development section of the CGB website.

Profit Spending Multipool: (Open) The CGB Core team is “not opposed” to such a multipool and see how it could be a convenient service for CGB miners. See this forum post for context.
Contest #4!
This contest is aimed at spreading word of one of the major projects that CGB is currently partnered with, CryptoTown! This is an enormous project aimed at bridging the gap between cryptos and real world local users and merchants and is not nation, coin or person specific. This is for all coin communities! The CGB team has a series of numbers selected and will give away 10 CGB to the corresponding individual from each group of 10 to carry out the below assignment.

1. Favorite and retweet the 'Contest # 4 tweet'
2. Subscribes to this Reddit
3. Reply to the Reddit post with a verbal vote of support, your CGB address and sign with your user name and nation (ex: elambert, USA)

Lets get started!

Cool!! Can you please link us back to the original BDAY countdown thread?
I love seeing the country people are from, its such a cool idea Cheesy

EDIT: I forgot its linked through the CryptogenicBullion subreddit!
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/happy-birthday-cgb-633928

papersheepdog, Canada
I'm pretty encouraged by the idea that perhaps many of the strong altcoins are going to bottom out and then the ones with the better quality can rise back out of that.  I'm not completely sure it will happen but there's still hope.

It certainly seems plausible Smiley I think a lot of coins are being effectively tossed aside from the overall market correction.

Its not a market correction but a market dilution. 1001 coins or filling the same spot in what is really a very small niche community. Investing (as some would call it) in cryptos is pretty much just betting on whether xyz coin will ever make it, now that risky investor base is getting spread a little thin....thinner and thinner as more coins are pumped out.

Eventually all the market just floods into the flavor of the day/week/month then it dies as the next flavor pops up, so a few coins here and there get insta-value, but its a slow cold death for everything else.

Only way to survive become useful and not merely a fiat trading token.

That's a good summary of the current situation, and probably for the foreseeable future.

However there are a few (very few) coins which have persistent increasing value (so far). 64k Question: Is capital going to be concentrated further into those (with the odd rare newcomer joining the leaders).

If that is the case the only way to survive is going to be to join that elite group asap, because as time goes on it becomes more difficult for existing coins to be noticed (need a new or novel feature).

"1001 coins or filling the same spot" - Totally true! CGB fills it's own spot though, store of value. This kind of specialization will grant us a spot at the top almost by default. There are competitors now in this area, yes, but most coins seem to be following the exact same playbook and they can all go off and compete with each other. It shouldn't bother us. We will show the cryptosphere just what they are missing, demand will be created with what we are doing. We have only become much stronger, and better organized as this dilution (and correction) has hit hard. Our efforts are shaping up!
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
I'm pretty encouraged by the idea that perhaps many of the strong altcoins are going to bottom out and then the ones with the better quality can rise back out of that.  I'm not completely sure it will happen but there's still hope.

It certainly seems plausible Smiley I think a lot of coins are being effectively tossed aside from the overall market correction.

Its not a market correction but a market dilution. 1001 coins or filling the same spot in what is really a very small niche community. Investing (as some would call it) in cryptos is pretty much just betting on whether xyz coin will ever make it, now that risky investor base is getting spread a little thin....thinner and thinner as more coins are pumped out.

Eventually all the market just floods into the flavor of the day/week/month then it dies as the next flavor pops up, so a few coins here and there get insta-value, but its a slow cold death for everything else.

Only way to survive become useful and not merely a fiat trading token.

That's a good summary of the current situation, and probably for the foreseeable future.

However there are a few (very few) coins which have persistent increasing value (so far). 64k Question: Is capital going to be concentrated further into those (with the odd rare newcomer joining the leaders).

If that is the case the only way to survive is going to be to join that elite group asap, because as time goes on it becomes more difficult for existing coins to be noticed (need a new or novel feature).
Pages:
Jump to: