Pages:
Author

Topic: How do we get the women on board? - page 6. (Read 38370 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
October 08, 2012, 06:29:09 AM
Saw this study today, seems relevant to this thread:

Also relevant to this thread: Women and free market  Smiley
Activity: 354
Merit: 250
October 07, 2012, 10:40:07 PM
I liked the shoe shop idea. Handbags, cosmetics, etc would interest me although I'm also into technology and borderline Libertarian. You should have a whole group of women on board since one company pays their contractors who are mostly women in bitcoin. Again, I think it's the trust factor. Most women want to feel secure. Non-centralized money does not make them feel secure. There is a vicious rumor going around that people in bitcoin use the service for illegal things and this scares many of them. I've seen them mention it on twitter and why they won't take their pay with bitcoin.

+++1   you could start SR women edition "high heels" put some sixpack guys for rent 
I'm not sure if new retailers will attract new bitcoiners, unless those retailers can offer something that the traditional retailers ones can't, the way SR does.
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
COINDER
October 07, 2012, 07:41:21 PM
I liked the shoe shop idea. Handbags, cosmetics, etc would interest me although I'm also into technology and borderline Libertarian. You should have a whole group of women on board since one company pays their contractors who are mostly women in bitcoin. Again, I think it's the trust factor. Most women want to feel secure. Non-centralized money does not make them feel secure. There is a vicious rumor going around that people in bitcoin use the service for illegal things and this scares many of them. I've seen them mention it on twitter and why they won't take their pay with bitcoin.

+++1   you could start SR women edition "high heels" put some sixpack guys for rent 
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
October 07, 2012, 07:19:04 PM
About 1,7% of humans are born hermaphrodites, we have over 5%.
Why is bitcoin so interesting for this gender?

Nice made up number.

0.033% to 0.05%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexuality

From the wiki article you linked to:

According to Fausto-Sterling's definition of intersex,[79] on the other hand, 1.7 percent of human births are intersex

Reading you own references helps.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Capitalism rocks my world.
October 07, 2012, 07:15:54 PM
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
October 07, 2012, 06:16:43 PM
The sex of 20 of the people in the poll is other. lol

Wait, bitcoin has only 1% more women than hermaphrodites?

Other includes trans-gendered people, not just hermaphrodites.

"Other" also includes people who are just fucking with the poll.   Cool
and those messing with the poll are almost certainly guys...
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
October 07, 2012, 06:08:21 PM

"Other" also includes people who are just fucking with the poll.   Cool
October 07, 2012, 06:03:01 PM
To be realistic, the few women in here is only a symptom of where bitcoin is operating.

There are still about 90% Geeks here. (Which I count myself to)

It would be interesting how many % of the people here are not working in some kind of IT-Field, or study something IT related.

I think it's still less than 25%.
I think that's the main thing.  Bitcoin does well with two groups: technologists and libertarians.

Women are under-represented in both of these groups.  Figuring out why and what to do about it is probably beyond the scope of this forum.

Thus, I think we can expect the gender gap to shrink if-and-when bitcoin goes more mainstream.

Couldn’t it be as simple as surveying women about what they want and providing it? Maybe it is as simple as shoes or makeup or maybe it’s something we would never think of but can be easily provided.
What would happen if you surveyed random men about what they wanted?  Most men aren't technologists, libertarians, or bitcoiners.

In order to get useful results, you'd have to find the women who would be one of these save for one thing, and that would imply you already know what that thing is.

Still, worth considering.  Might be nice to see a study about women where the author hasn't already made up her mind to blame the men for a change.
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
October 07, 2012, 05:59:25 PM
wow...we have about as many "others" as women...i'm betting 90% of those have a Y chromosome...
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
October 07, 2012, 05:47:45 PM

Nice made up number.

0.033% to 0.05%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexuality
October 07, 2012, 05:43:39 PM
To be realistic, the few women in here is only a symptom of where bitcoin is operating.

It would be interesting how many % of the people here are not working in some kind of IT-Field, or study something IT related.

I think that's the main thing.  Bitcoin does well with two groups: technologists and libertarians.

Women are under-represented in both of these groups.  Figuring out why and what to do about it is probably beyond the scope of this forum.

Thus, I think we can expect the gender gap to shrink if-and-when bitcoin goes more mainstream.
legendary
October 07, 2012, 05:38:28 PM

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
October 07, 2012, 05:32:40 PM
I don't thing transgeder people would speak of themself as neither male or female.

They might consider themselves to be both male and female, or change regularly (male by day, female by night etc etc).

Anyways, we can see from this poll that not enough women are using Bitcoin. A shoe-shop accepting payment in Bitcoin would help.
legendary
October 07, 2012, 05:06:51 PM

Ok, that explains this. That means we are on average on other and have only very few women?

Edit: Aren't trans-gendered people changing themselves to a specific sex and would at least consider themselves as male or female?

I don't thing transgeder people would speak of themself as neither male or female.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
October 07, 2012, 05:02:39 PM

legendary
October 07, 2012, 04:53:33 PM

Activity: 588
October 07, 2012, 04:07:07 PM
Saw this study today, seems relevant to this thread:

Activity: 336
yung lean
October 05, 2012, 12:57:15 PM
I always love these sorts of questions. You get women into bitcoin the same way you get women into ceo jobs and men into pinterest accounts. YOU DON'T! Not because they aren't capable but because they aren't interested in that sort of thing.
Activity: 658
October 05, 2012, 12:42:26 PM
One should never admit to being a woman on the internets.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Capitalism rocks my world.
October 04, 2012, 11:26:51 PM
You have to have services that women buy to generate interest. Also, the high tech world is still a guy thing even though many women work in it. Are there a lot of jobs that pay in bitcoin?

And one more important point, it is harder to get women to spend money in an economy they don't know anything about. Basic psychology proves that a woman needs to feel secure and bitcoin can sometimes seem a little shady--not that it is. I commented on a thread earlier where the women didn't put up pictures on a site and I believe it is a) because the guys will see the pictures before they pay and most won't send tributes and b) how can we tell if the person on the other side is legit or of age with bitcoin? Both are related to security.

Women also like more structure than men. They are more likely to fall for more totalitarian and centralized systems which is why there are far many more women who are democrats.

I'm the exception Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: