Pages:
Author

Topic: How to sign a message?! - page 41. (Read 141318 times)

copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
May 27, 2015, 03:37:17 PM
Wow shorena, you are the bomb!  Tip sent!  Wink

thanks Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145
The revolution will be monetized!
May 21, 2015, 04:45:46 PM
Wow shorena, you are the bomb!  Tip sent!  Wink
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
have fun
May 21, 2015, 04:39:47 PM
Thanks for this useful guide, i was searching about this before i stepped into this thread.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
May 20, 2015, 09:05:04 PM
Can somebody please explain to me how to sign message with Xapo wallet?

You can't. I highly recommend you to use a desktop(or mobile) wallet. If you want use an online wallet, use Blockchain.info. Other online wallets are insecure.

But I need the address on my Xapo wallet to sign a message Huh
btw, why is other online wallets beside Blockchain.info are insecure?
Xapo wallet does not support signing using their addresses, since it is shared (AFAIK).

Also, the reason online wallets are considered insecure is that you have to share private key with third party (think of you sharing your home key). Only blockchain.info stores private key in your device (they encrypt your private key on your computer and then upload to server, so you still have to trust bc.info to encrypt your key), that's why MZ suggested you use bc.info (or desktop wallet).

But if we stores private key in our device, it means if we lost our private so we lost everything.
That's why Xapo don't want to share the private key, so if the private key lost Xapo will refund our balance. (CMIIW)

Do you tell another person to create a bank account for you and tell him/her to withdraw money when you want? Or do you create a bank account yourself and never share with another person?

Yeah, that's make sense too. Okay so it's more safe to use Blockchain.info than Xapo, then I will move to Blockchain.inco
btw, I used to use Blockchain. But because there is so many faucets offerig more rewards for Xapo users, so I moved to Xapo Cheesy

Check out this guide if you want 100% offline security for the coins:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/tutorial-how-to-keep-your-bitcoins-100-secure-1002719

I'm not asking about offline wallet, I'm asking about the best online wallet service. Offline wallet is not compatible with my device Grin

What device are you using? Why not use PC. Sure its the most secure way, mobile phones are all surveyed.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
May 20, 2015, 08:13:43 PM

You can't. I highly recommend you to use a desktop(or mobile) wallet. If you want use an online wallet, use Blockchain.info. Other online wallets are insecure.

Xapo wallet does not support signing using their addresses, since it is shared (AFAIK).

Also, the reason online wallets are considered insecure is that you have to share private key with third party (think of you sharing your home key). Only blockchain.info stores private key in your device (they encrypt your private key on your computer and then upload to server, so you still have to trust bc.info to encrypt your key), that's why MZ suggested you use bc.info (or desktop wallet).

But if we stores private key in our device, it means if we lost our private so we lost everything.
That's why Xapo don't want to share the private key, so if the private key lost Xapo will refund our balance. (CMIIW)

Do you tell another person to create a bank account for you and tell him/her to withdraw money when you want? Or do you create a bank account yourself and never share with another person?

Yeah, that's make sense too. Okay so it's more safe to use Blockchain.info than Xapo, then I will move to Blockchain.inco
btw, I used to use Blockchain. But because there is so many faucets offerig more rewards for Xapo users, so I moved to Xapo Cheesy

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/tutorial-how-to-keep-your-bitcoins-100-secure-1002719

I'm not asking about offline wallet, I'm asking about the best online wallet service. Offline wallet is not compatible with my device Grin
Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
May 20, 2015, 07:46:38 PM

legendary
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
May 20, 2015, 09:31:07 AM

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
May 20, 2015, 09:22:52 AM

legendary
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
May 20, 2015, 08:46:09 AM

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Yoohoo
May 20, 2015, 08:35:48 AM

legendary
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
May 20, 2015, 08:32:28 AM

May 20, 2015, 08:12:28 AM

legendary
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
May 20, 2015, 08:09:34 AM
Activity: 868
Merit: 1001
https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service
May 20, 2015, 08:05:27 AM
Very useful tutorial. I've linked to it in my sig for quick reference for the people I deal with Smiley

Thanks for your effort in creating this.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
May 15, 2015, 12:56:54 PM
thanks, I am looking for this tutorials and found it Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
Don't Hesitate to Tip me for My Helps and Guides.
May 08, 2015, 06:48:49 AM
Thank you , it's a well Defined thread on how to sign message and it really helped me .
I tried it once and it was showing error , i figured out the problem after reading it!
I was copying the wrong address :-|
copper member
April 25, 2015, 06:14:45 AM
Thanks for the answers, so keybase.io can not be used to sign a message and thus should stay out of this guide, agreed.

I just did the first few dos and don'ts. Feel free to suggest more.

I also found this very neat feature on the brainwallet page. It allows to create a link with the address, message and signature included. Creates a very long link obviously as it includes everything in plain text.

example

I think "Don't sign a message in a compromised device" should be in dos and don'ts.

done.

Brainwallet's this update looks cool. They have automated this instead of a button. So, maybe, new pic is needed.

Added it on top of the todo list for now, I probably have a little time for it tonight or tomorrow.
April 25, 2015, 03:35:54 AM
Thanks for the answers, so keybase.io can not be used to sign a message and thus should stay out of this guide, agreed.

I also found this very neat feature on the brainwallet page. It allows to create a link with the address, message and signature included. Creates a very long link obviously as it includes everything in plain text.

example

I think "Don't sign a message in a compromised device" should be in dos and don'ts.

Brainwallet's this update looks cool. They have automated this instead of a button. So, maybe, new pic is needed.
copper member
April 24, 2015, 03:50:25 PM

example
April 24, 2015, 07:29:38 AM
I think that the easiest way is to use keybase.io , you won't have to have any knowledge about any program,it is really simple.
The bad side is that there is a long queue to get an invite,you just have to sign up and wait
Keybase.io's btc address system does not verify the address' ownership, so it is not perfect. Also you have to store private key to do things easily (and they recommend that!) which doesn't seem so good.

From what I read about keybase.io they use PGP to link several accounts to a single PGP key. They also offer to verify bitcoin addresses, via said PGP key. Can anyone with an keybase.io account verify the above? I can also check around and see if I can get an invite to dig into this.
I do have a keybase.io account, but I don't think adding it to this guide will help.
  • You put the bitcoin address.
  • Wait for keybase.io to save the address, (~10 secs).
  • PROFIT!
Yes, that's all. No signature verification, no check, etc. Just enter the address and that's all.

They offer coinbase.com OAuth, but that's different issue here.

True. The two things I didn't agree with them are

- They recommend storing encrypted PGP private key in their server.
 - They doesn't verify whether Bitcoin address is owned by the same owner of PGP key, obviously by asking a Bitcoin signed message from submitted address.

I have already proposed this but I didn't get any response from them. https://github.com/keybase/keybase-issues/issues/1400
Pages:
Jump to: