Pages:
Author

Topic: How to sign a message?! - page 37. (Read 141318 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
July 22, 2015, 12:57:02 PM
Great thread and write up, thank you for the how-to!  Marking this page for later reference.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
July 22, 2015, 09:03:59 AM
Thanks a lot shorena. Now I know how to sign a message.

show me[1] Cheesy

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vMO3XmNXe4
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
July 22, 2015, 08:46:47 AM
Thanks a lot shorena. Now I know how to sign a message.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
July 21, 2015, 03:34:23 PM
Yes, wonderful guide! I too was able to figure out how to sign a message and posted it on the reputation thread for future reference if ever needed.

Thanks so much for this valuable information for all of us novices.

Thank you for letting me know, i will do the same too. Must renew something as the times goes so fast
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011
July 20, 2015, 06:33:00 PM
Yes, wonderful guide! I too was able to figure out how to sign a message and posted it on the reputation thread for future reference if ever needed.

Thanks so much for this valuable information for all of us novices.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
July 20, 2015, 06:02:49 PM
Thank you for this guide OP. Because of this guide, I was able to walk myself through signing my first message through my wallet.

Thanks Smiley
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
July 20, 2015, 04:43:55 PM

Sorry but you must be patient with me. I don't know what is AFAIK.

Thanks!

Here, this should help you with figuring out what AFAIK means: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=AFAIK

"Search" for the answer and the knowledge will set you free!
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
July 20, 2015, 11:48:56 AM
The image[1] and similar format in the tutorial might be misleading to newbies. A few users started posting signed messages like it. Eg:-

Code:
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
<18uTXyQubfaYrkbQDdaXhzd2ALEY5YN77B>

-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I think if you put a note there mentioning to ignore '<>' signs maybe good.

[1] https://i.imgur.com/UZDCSad.png

Done, thanks for the tipp. It might be better if I redo the picture, what do you think?

Thanks for the fast response. I think that will do.
copper member
July 20, 2015, 11:36:43 AM
The image[1] and similar format in the tutorial might be misleading to newbies. A few users started posting signed messages like it. Eg:-

Code:

Done, thanks for the tipp. It might be better if I redo the picture, what do you think?
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
July 20, 2015, 11:25:45 AM

Code:

legendary
Activity: 1134
July 19, 2015, 05:14:21 AM
I tried to create a signed message with my coinbase wallet seeing the suggestions at this thread. But at the end, when I sign the message nothing happens. How I must continue? Where I can find the signed message? In which way i can send it in an email address?

Coinbase does not provide a finished format you can just copy paste AFAIK.

If you follow their how to here -> https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

The message is 5 in the last picture and the signature 7. If you want to use the format suggested here you need to copy it.

Code:

AFAIK is short for "as far as I know". I sometimes use it when Im not 100% sure.

I don't know how to create the format of the message under the "Code" (how is created the box with BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE etc).

How is created this:

Code:

You have to do it yourself. If your address is A, the message you wrote is B and the signature that coinbase created for you is C you copy paste the above like this:
Code:

and replace the parts with A, B and C, like this:

Code:
B
A
C

I must copy the writing with capitals and then put the other data and then put all between the writing code? Or how?

Yes.

And at the end the signature 7 cannot be copied. I righ click with my mouse on it but the option to copy is not appear.

Thanks!

This might be a browser issue. I can tripple click the box in chrome and rightclick copy the signature.

Everything clear. A big thanks!!!!
copper member
July 19, 2015, 05:11:10 AM
I tried to create a signed message with my coinbase wallet seeing the suggestions at this thread. But at the end, when I sign the message nothing happens. How I must continue? Where I can find the signed message? In which way i can send it in an email address?

If you follow their how to here -> https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

The message is 5 in the last picture and the signature 7. If you want to use the format suggested here you need to copy it.

Code:

AFAIK is short for "as far as I know". I sometimes use it when Im not 100% sure.

I don't know how to create the format of the message under the "Code" (how is created the box with BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE etc).

How is created this:

Code:

You have to do it yourself. If your address is A, the message you wrote is B and the signature that coinbase created for you is C you copy paste the above like this:
Code:

and replace the parts with A, B and C, like this:

Code:
B
A
C

I must copy the writing with capitals and then put the other data and then put all between the writing code? Or how?

Yes.

And at the end the signature 7 cannot be copied. I righ click with my mouse on it but the option to copy is not appear.

Thanks!

This might be a browser issue. I can tripple click the box in chrome and rightclick copy the signature.
legendary
July 19, 2015, 04:57:41 AM

Code:

Sorry but you must be patient with me. I don't know what is AFAIK. I don't know how to create the format of the message under the "Code" (how is created the box with BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE etc).

How is created this:

Code:

I must copy from here the writing with capitals (or create myself this format) and then put the other data and then put all between the writing code? Or how?

And what is important the signature 7 cannot be copied. I righ click with my mouse on it but the option to copy is not appear.

Thanks!
copper member
July 19, 2015, 04:45:31 AM

Code:

legendary
July 19, 2015, 04:28:54 AM
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
July 09, 2015, 07:38:22 PM
Hi dear you are doing very good for this forum. I really appreciate your work. I got much help from your this post.
Can you also add this coinbase link in the OP, it would be much easir for people, and they will not go for asking about how to sign a message in coinbase
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

Thanks

Good idea, done. I still plan to make a version without text, but you are right. Its better to add the link for now.

Thanks for that.

By the way can you please tell me how to sign a message if im using an address from an exchange site like btc-e or bit-x if its possible ?

my thought is that you cant sign a message directly from the exchange; you need to control the private key of that address, so i think the only workaround here is to get the private key from the exchange (if they provide it, which its likely they wont) and import it to your own wallet to sign the message.

That's right, if you own the private key. It meant the wallet is yours, and you can do anything you want with the wallet. So it just possible if you have the private key. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
July 09, 2015, 06:58:34 PM
Hi dear you are doing very good for this forum. I really appreciate your work. I got much help from your this post.
Can you also add this coinbase link in the OP, it would be much easir for people, and they will not go for asking about how to sign a message in coinbase
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

Thanks

Good idea, done. I still plan to make a version without text, but you are right. Its better to add the link for now.

Thanks for that.

By the way can you please tell me how to sign a message if im using an address from an exchange site like btc-e or bit-x if its possible ?

my thought is that you cant sign a message directly from the exchange; you need to control the private key of that address, so i think the only workaround here is to get the private key from the exchange (if they provide it, which its likely they wont) and import it to your own wallet to sign the message.
copper member
Activity: 1386
July 09, 2015, 06:39:49 PM

Thanks

Thanks for that.

copper member
July 09, 2015, 04:52:17 PM

Thanks

copper member
Activity: 1386
July 09, 2015, 04:40:58 PM

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: