Pages:
Author

Topic: How to sign a message?! - page 43. (Read 141318 times)

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
April 05, 2015, 03:29:30 AM
reserved

Very nice tutorial shorena, newbies will like you for this, you should put up a donation address in case a newbie wants to thank you Smiley

Im not entirely sure if thats within forum rules, thus I dont specifically post an address or ask for it. There is an address in my profile that can always be used, my node is also linked from there and has an address, the example address I used in the OP is obiously still under my control so it could also be used. In short, I think if anyone wants to donate, its easy enough already and I know newbies dont have that much in the first place.

Also please announce in the first post that they should keep their private keys secure while they signs the message, because there are many ways that the private key can be compromized while they sign the message.

Not sure how you would compromise a private key in order to sign a message as long as you keep it in your wallet. Ofc if you go out of your way to e.g. upload it to brainwallet... I guess I kinda see your point. Ill add it to the todo list for now and think about more things to add.

Look at this thread, the OP there also posted a donation address at the end of the first post so i guess its ok for the forum rules
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-of-bitcointalk-signature-ad-campaigns-last-update-01-jan-23-615953

A private key can be easily compromized if you got a virus inside your RAM, there are not just simple Keyloggers out there there are also RAM-loggers too that search within the ram for specified data (a private key format that is used by the QT or Armory can easily be detected by them and send through a backdoor back to the haker)

So because of this I only sign stuff offline, never on an Online PC.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
April 04, 2015, 06:17:05 PM
reserved

Very nice tutorial shorena, newbies will like you for this, you should put up a donation address in case a newbie wants to thank you Smiley

Im not entirely sure if thats within forum rules, thus I dont specifically post an address or ask for it. There is an address in my profile that can always be used, my node is also linked from there and has an address, the example address I used in the OP is obiously still under my control so it could also be used. In short, I think if anyone wants to donate, its easy enough already and I know newbies dont have that much in the first place.

Also please announce in the first post that they should keep their private keys secure while they signs the message, because there are many ways that the private key can be compromized while they sign the message.

Not sure how you would compromise a private key in order to sign a message as long as you keep it in your wallet. Ofc if you go out of your way to e.g. upload it to brainwallet... I guess I kinda see your point. Ill add it to the todo list for now and think about more things to add.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Yoohoo
April 03, 2015, 11:29:56 PM
if you use a wallet that is still missing, please suggest it.
Mycelium supports signing messages, for HD wallets and non-HD, single addresses.

Mycelium 2.3.0/2.3.1 on Android lollipop added[1]. There was an update while I made the screenshots, but I did not change anything. It gives you two options at the end. Either copy the signature to clipboard or share a preformated text that is compatible with brainwallet - they improved the verify page[2] btw - I personally like the preformated version better. You can e.g. create a mail with it and copy it from there

[1] link to pic for those that dont want to check the OP
its pretty big 540*8620 px, 787 KByte
http://i.imgur.com/lNgSoEq.png
[2] https://brainwallet.github.io/#verify
Great! (well, I realized there is update by this post. 'I thought 2.2.0 is newest - is there an update?' => Boom!) Anyway, will give you some tips when I get some coins from my sig campaigns.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
April 03, 2015, 10:35:11 PM
reserved

copper member
April 03, 2015, 04:46:17 PM
Mycelium supports signing messages, for HD wallets and non-HD, single addresses.

Mycelium 2.3.0/2.3.1 on Android lollipop added[1]. There was an update while I made the screenshots, but I did not change anything. It gives you two options at the end. Either copy the signature to clipboard or share a preformated text that is compatible with brainwallet - they improved the verify page[2] btw - I personally like the preformated version better. You can e.g. create a mail with it and copy it from there

[1] link to pic for those that dont want to check the OP
its pretty big 540*8620 px, 787 KByte
http://i.imgur.com/lNgSoEq.png
[2] https://brainwallet.github.io/#verify
Activity: 114
Merit: 10
PMs blocked, send answers to main.
April 03, 2015, 10:37:11 AM
I really don't know how to sign a message. What is the goal of signing a message. Thanks !
To prove that you indeed have ownership for specific address. On bitcointalk, people use signs to verify users' ownership.

Basically this. E.g. in the first post I sign a message with an address I posted when I was still a noob, thus it is reasonable to assume that I am still the same person posting. This can be important later if you want to take a loan with your account as collateral, want to sell your account or if someone suspects you have been hacked.

It can also be useful to sign the terms of a trade. Thus neither you nor your Partner can later claim they did not read a specific detail oft the trade.

It is important to include the date, thus the message can not be reused at a later date by someone else. Some people also include a random phrase.

As almost everything this is not 100%, because I could have sold the shorena account, this alt account and all addresses and corresponding private keys associated with the accounts.

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062
One coin to rule them all
April 03, 2015, 09:27:55 AM
Nice guide Smiley
Should be mandatory in elementary school to learn how to do it  Cheesy
Yoohoo
April 03, 2015, 09:00:36 AM
I really don't know how to sign a message. What is the goal of signing a message. Thanks !
To prove that you indeed have ownership for specific address. On bitcointalk, people use signs to verify users' ownership.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
April 03, 2015, 08:51:41 AM
Activity: 182
DaDice! Next Generation Dice Game
April 03, 2015, 08:01:45 AM
thanks I read the elrctrim docs and was able to sign messages on an Ubuntu server
Yoohoo
April 03, 2015, 07:28:55 AM
Activity: 714
Merit: 537
April 03, 2015, 07:18:32 AM
Thnx alot mate

I really felt irritated when I saw ppl asking me to sign a message but I didn't know how to  ! Undecided

Thanks again  Kiss
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1650
Sugars.zone
April 03, 2015, 07:13:17 AM
is there a way to sign a message from an address without running bitcoinqt

Yes you can sign a message, with out using bitcoinqt wallet in blockchain info and coinbase.com. you can see the OP in which method is given how to sign a message in block chain and here is for coinbase

Can Some one Tell me How to sign a message using Coinbase wallet?

I plan in adding coinbase, but they have good how to already -> https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

THX for the tip btw
copper member
April 03, 2015, 07:12:16 AM

As you can see I currently cover Bitcoin Core version v0.10.0, Electrum v 1.9.8, MultiBit v 0.5.18 and Blockchain.info. Coinbase (linked to guide earlier), armory and the new versions of Multibit (HD)[1] and Electrum (2.0.X) as well as plenty other wallets also support signing as well as verification of messages. If you have a specific wallet, just tell me which and I will add it to the todo list.

New additions will probably[2] follow within the next days, if you use a wallet that is still missing, please suggest it. I dont see a reason to focus on wallets like armory as the chance that someone using armory knows how to sign a message is high. I think its more important to focus on wallets that are used by many people and that are typically considered beginners friendly.

[1] still in beta
[2] unless something unforseen happens
Yoohoo
April 03, 2015, 06:59:33 AM
It depends on the client. Look at the documentation or help pages of your client. (Of course, most web wallets doesn't support it.)
Activity: 182
DaDice! Next Generation Dice Game
April 03, 2015, 06:40:53 AM
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
April 03, 2015, 06:18:06 AM
Thanks for the info.  Smiley Never got around to doing this before, but it's good to already know it before I have to use the feature.
legendary
Sugars.zone
April 02, 2015, 12:39:58 PM

I plan in adding coinbase, but they have good how to already -> https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

THX for the tip btw

Thanks Dear for your Help Its Proved Helpful to me. I again managed to Sign a message Succesfully after 4 tries

Activity: 114
Merit: 10
PMs blocked, send answers to main.
April 02, 2015, 12:17:44 PM

THX for the tip btw
legendary
Sugars.zone
April 02, 2015, 12:12:14 PM
Pages:
Jump to: