Pages:
Author

Topic: How to sign a message?! - page 42. (Read 141318 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Yoohoo
April 24, 2015, 02:25:20 AM
I think that the easiest way is to use keybase.io , you won't have to have any knowledge about any program,it is really simple.
The bad side is that there is a long queue to get an invite,you just have to sign up and wait
Keybase.io's btc address system does not verify the address' ownership, so it is not perfect. Also you have to store private key to do things easily (and they recommend that!) which doesn't seem so good.

From what I read about keybase.io they use PGP to link several accounts to a single PGP key. They also offer to verify bitcoin addresses, via said PGP key. Can anyone with an keybase.io account verify the above? I can also check around and see if I can get an invite to dig into this.
I do have a keybase.io account, but I don't think adding it to this guide will help.
  • You put the bitcoin address.
  • Wait for keybase.io to save the address, (~10 secs).
  • PROFIT!
Yes, that's all. No signature verification, no check, etc. Just enter the address and that's all.

They offer coinbase.com OAuth, but that's different issue here.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
April 24, 2015, 02:10:48 AM
I think that the easiest way is to use keybase.io , you won't have to have any knowledge about any program,it is really simple.
The bad side is that there is a long queue to get an invite,you just have to sign up and wait
Keybase.io's btc address system does not verify the address' ownership, so it is not perfect. Also you have to store private key to do things easily (and they recommend that!) which doesn't seem so good.

From what I read about keybase.io they use PGP to link several accounts to a single PGP key. They also offer to verify bitcoin addresses, via said PGP key. Can anyone with an keybase.io account verify the above? I can also check around and see if I can get an invite to dig into this.
Yoohoo
April 23, 2015, 11:57:49 PM
Activity: 714
Merit: 503
April 23, 2015, 07:21:22 PM
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
April 23, 2015, 11:08:24 AM
I found it difficult at first to understand signed message because it was kind of complicated with this post i am well knowledgeable of it, quality post with detailed information thanks OP you have my respect.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1273
April 14, 2015, 05:02:47 AM
Great topic as many newbies come and start asking the same thing, I guess all the wallets and their steps are covered, appreciate your work @OP.
Activity: 114
Merit: 10
PMs blocked, send answers to main.
April 14, 2015, 04:14:06 AM
Really helpfull especially there was a mycelium tutorial wallet. It's android wallet and I'm difficult find a tutor about signing address with it
Gonna learn step by step ...Thanks once again

Maybe for next tutorial , you can tutor us about PGP things ( if someone want to be a good escrow  Cool for the example )

Im somewhat torn about the PGP guide idea. It should definitly not be in the same guide as its a completly different topic. Besides that, there are many good tutorials, e.g. by riseup for PGP best practices, setup, etc. Not sure what I could contribute to those tutorials.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006
Black Panther
April 13, 2015, 12:42:44 PM
Really helpfull especially there was a mycelium tutorial wallet. It's android wallet and I'm difficult find a tutor about signing address with it
Gonna learn step by step ...Thanks once again

Maybe for next tutorial , you can tutor us about PGP things ( if someone want to be a good escrow  Cool for the example )
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
be your self
April 12, 2015, 09:23:12 PM
ohh,,many thx for your guide, previously i dont know how to "sign message", yeaa was confused when i sell some stuff and buyer wanted me to sign message as proof of ownership ..
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
April 12, 2015, 03:53:54 PM
I got a message that this guide was posted in a different board[1]. I think thats a good idea, I will add a proper CC BY-SA 3.0 license[2] disclaimer in a second.

[1] http://www.bitcointalk.club/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57&sid=9b5c71a991db1234561525fd741f3bb6
[2] https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Yep you need to copyright your stuff, there are many thieves these days lol
copper member
April 12, 2015, 12:46:51 PM
thanks for this guide it was really helpful but can i sign a address with a java phone?

Depends on the wallet software you use. For Android (not sure if thats what you mean with java phone) Myceliums works great.
Activity: 154
April 12, 2015, 12:36:37 PM
thanks for this guide it was really helpful but can i sign a address with a java phone?
copper member
April 12, 2015, 12:27:39 PM
I got a message that this guide was posted in a different board[1]. I think thats a good idea, I will add a proper CC BY-SA 3.0 license[2] disclaimer in a second.

[1] http://www.bitcointalk.club/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57&sid=9b5c71a991db1234561525fd741f3bb6
[2] https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
copper member
April 08, 2015, 06:18:10 AM
In the OP,
[anchor=bc.i]Blockchain.info 2015.03.17
Maybe kind of a typo?

Meanwhile, some coins for you!

Fixed it thanks2. Anchor is used to create the links within the post, but apparently a dot in the name is not allowed.
Yoohoo
April 08, 2015, 06:09:09 AM
In the OP,
[anchor=bc.i]Blockchain.info 2015.03.17
Maybe kind of a typo?

Meanwhile, some coins for you!
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007
Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets
April 07, 2015, 09:55:21 AM
Wow! Shorena, nice guide there .
It does have an appropriate explanation with Quality images and it covers almost all important wallets , to tell you actually i did liked the MyCelium explanation as i really didn't knew about how to sign a message from Mycelium till now
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
April 07, 2015, 07:58:49 AM

Thats a problem every time you unlock the wallet on a hot system. A general wallet security thread might be a good thread to start, but I want to keep this topic very focused on signatures.

Yes it is but if you already put together a tutorial where the exposure of the private key is required then its also important to atleast warn the newbies to be very vigilant about this, and not to find out in the hard way.

Just basic security, when handling private key.

My online PC is very hot so I dont handle my private keys on it.

A tutorial isn't needed but a warning like this may suffice: "Signing with a Bitcoin address in an affected computer may result in theft of your Bitcoins. Only sign in a secure trusted pc. Never sign in a public pc unless you know what you are doing".

Edit: BTW, Thank you, shorena for keeping this upto date! If you have time, it will be good to add Bither. I maybe able to help you tonight but atm, it isn't possible because of the heavy rain. Sad
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
April 07, 2015, 03:05:47 AM

Thats a problem every time you unlock the wallet on a hot system. A general wallet security thread might be a good thread to start, but I want to keep this topic very focused on signatures.

Yes it is but if you already put together a tutorial where the exposure of the private key is required then its also important to atleast warn the newbies to be very vigilant about this, and not to find out in the hard way.

Just basic security, when handling private key.

My online PC is very hot so I dont handle my private keys on it.
copper member
April 06, 2015, 04:07:46 PM
-snip-
A private key can be easily compromized if you got a virus inside your RAM, there are not just simple Keyloggers out there there are also RAM-loggers too that search within the ram for specified data (a private key format that is used by the QT or Armory can easily be detected by them and send through a backdoor back to the haker)

So because of this I only sign stuff offline, never on an Online PC.

This is really a nice guide, thank you!

Glad you like it Smiley
Activity: 138
April 05, 2015, 07:00:10 PM
This is really a nice guide, thank you!
Pages:
Jump to: