Pages:
Author

Topic: How to sign a message?! - page 40. (Read 141318 times)

legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 1398
For support ➡️ help.bc.game
June 11, 2015, 06:48:50 AM
I used online wallet and that's not Blockchain. Is it possible to signed a message with my primary address? I used my primary address in every transaction (not trading) that's why I like it to be signed or posting it in the "Stake Your Bitcoin Address" thread is the only way to get it signed?

Sorry for quoting. Need help. If thats not possible then maybe I'll switch to blockchain online wallet.  Undecided

AFAIK the only online wallet that can sign messages are Blockchain.info. so you might want to switch to them or something better.

Thanks for the info mate. Well look like I'll siwtch to blockchain. I really like to signed a message that have code and not just by quoting. Thanks again  Cool
copper member
Activity: 924
Merit: 1007
hee-ho.
June 11, 2015, 06:45:50 AM
I used online wallet and that's not Blockchain. Is it possible to signed a message with my primary address? I used my primary address in every transaction (not trading) that's why I like it to be signed or posting it in the "Stake Your Bitcoin Address" thread is the only way to get it signed?

Sorry for quoting. Need help. If thats not possible then maybe I'll switch to blockchain online wallet.  Undecided

AFAIK the only online wallet that can sign messages are Blockchain.info. so you might want to switch to them or something better.
legendary
June 11, 2015, 06:41:10 AM

Activity: 52
Merit: 0
June 10, 2015, 11:13:14 PM
Thank's for your information now i can sign message Smiley
+1 trusted to you
copper member
hee-ho.
June 10, 2015, 08:36:20 PM
just curious, on bitcoin core is it the same process.

cause I just tried and I dont know what to do lol.

select file > sign message.

http://i.imgur.com/qx3C9zl.png

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
June 10, 2015, 08:25:21 PM
just curious, on bitcoin core is it the same process.

cause I just tried and I dont know what to do lol.
copper member
hee-ho.
June 10, 2015, 08:20:22 PM
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
account owned by tarsua
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
1EdenrvQXPNz1Utp6gavnBQuFK2BKphtTL
G1U9urExzvkeVbqK2OVPsZoeddr5JcVCN30kQj8ByojzZpgGfAfBOl9/G5ZeC9JALeGiWadgpbjQvCPl1J93yKg=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

you might want to add a timestamp.

Note: Always include the date and reason when creating a message. If you sign a generic message it could be reused by someone else.
Activity: 266
June 10, 2015, 08:07:20 PM
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
account owned by tarsua
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
1EdenrvQXPNz1Utp6gavnBQuFK2BKphtTL
G1U9urExzvkeVbqK2OVPsZoeddr5JcVCN30kQj8ByojzZpgGfAfBOl9/G5ZeC9JALeGiWadgpbjQvCPl1J93yKg=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
legendary
June 10, 2015, 12:19:33 PM
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023
June 07, 2015, 12:46:31 PM
Thank you for doing this, I was able to use your guide to figure out how to do it on Armory.
Activity: 574
Merit: 296
Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!
June 07, 2015, 11:59:52 AM
This is a fantastic walkthrough, thank you for it. I also didnt know how to sign a message until now. When i get my beginner friends started with bitcoin, i will definitely share this thread with them!
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006
Black Panther
June 06, 2015, 01:23:38 PM
may i ask, how to read this code

if others give code like that I'm confused how to read or how to find out that it was true  Huh

I think you mean by how to verify it ?
I'm usually using blockchain 's feature to verify the signature. Just put the required BTC addy and the signature, and you will see the result instant.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145
The revolution will be monetized!
June 03, 2015, 11:52:08 AM
Some use cases for this include:
Proving your identity.
If you associate a wallet with your identity you can sign a message with that wallet. It proves that you have access to that wallet and so you must/should be the owner.

Proof of ability to pay. 
Let's say your auctioning off a house at a closed auction. You only want to invite people who could actually pay if they won. In this case you could require the bidders to sign an address with at least 885BTC, the minimum price.

Activity: 192
Merit: 100
You are what you eat. PIZZA!
May 28, 2015, 08:45:56 AM
This is very good post for us fairly new to btc, learned how to sign a message and that is good to learn something new everyday  Cheesy Thank you I will be sure to send whatever small amount I can afford as soon as I top up.
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
May 28, 2015, 08:42:09 AM
 [ img]http://i.imgur.com/rB1oVZJ.png[/img]
if others give code like that I'm confused how to read or how to find out that it was true  Huh

Why do you need to do that? It's a signature which tells us whether the message was signed by the address in question.

why do we need a sign message?

Signed message proves you have control over that address.

this puzzles me everytime i see someone asking for a sign message on an account or a wallet. how to determine that the message came from the account itself?

i understood how to sign a message, thanks to shorena for that. much appreciate.

since we are following and arrow going down, how to get the arrow going up and confirm the message is from the account or the wallet?

A signed message can be verified. If a person gives you signed message claiming it was signed with addressA and if it is successfully verified, the message *was* signed with addressA. But if the verification failed, message was *not* signed with addressA and hence, the person who gave you this doesn't have control over addressA.

well then i have another question, if the account was hacked and the hacker bruteforced the email address of the person, he can sign a message with the account anytime he wants since he can change the password of the account.

i understand its a plausible level of security since everybody urges the signature on almost every deal of accounts or loans. but i havent really understood how and how to know that the message is from the account and not just random

You are mistaken. Bitcointalk account and Bitcoin address are different. You are signing with a Bitcoin address not with Bitcointalk account.
Activity: 168
Where is Teddy?
May 28, 2015, 12:44:07 AM
why do we need a sign message? this puzzles me everytime i see someone asking for a sign message on an account or a wallet. how to determine that the message came from the account itself?

i understood how to sign a message, thanks to shorena for that. much appreciate.

since we are following and arrow going down, how to get the arrow going up and confirm the message is from the account or the wallet?
No idea, maybe to let you know that you are the true owner of the account or something like that

well then i have another question, if the account was hacked and the hacker bruteforced the email address of the person, he can sign a message with the account anytime he wants since he can change the password of the account.

i understand its a plausible level of security since everybody urges the signature on almost every deal of accounts or loans. but i havent really understood how and how to know that the message is from the account and not just random
Activity: 378
be your self
May 28, 2015, 12:32:04 AM
why do we need a sign message? this puzzles me everytime i see someone asking for a sign message on an account or a wallet. how to determine that the message came from the account itself?

No idea, maybe to let you know that you are the true owner of the account or something like that
Activity: 168
Where is Teddy?
May 28, 2015, 12:22:47 AM

Activity: 378
be your self
May 28, 2015, 12:20:27 AM

if others give code like that I'm confused how to read or how to find out that it was true  Huh
Activity: 266
May 27, 2015, 09:13:23 PM
Thank you for this, very detailed, i didnt know you could sign a message from a blockchain account
edit: will tip you in the future and bookmarked this thread
Pages:
Jump to: