Pages:
Author

Topic: How will this change the world of mining?? GTX 1080 / 1070 - page 21. (Read 134091 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Hmm I thought that yellow core clock line shows that hashrate has been stable for long period of time.
Now I realize that it keeps jumping, but is not reflected on the clock graph? (1500 mark is at the same place on both screens).

I think Afterburner just displays that category as a fixed graph but accurate readouts on the side. It's never fluctuated at any point, with either card. On another thread a guy suggested there's extra hash power there, and I probably just have to tune my card and miner to get that extra speed irrespective of the flatline problem, at which point it may stop happening. He runs a farm of GTX 1070's and 1080's but is tight with his scripts and tricks (understandably). Having said that, he'd never seen this exact situation. Afterburner may be inaccurately reporting what's occurring. I'll dig deeper into nvidia-smi logs and see if I can get info at the exact time of the next "flatline." I'm also going to start a new round of tuning the card, miner, p2pool, etc. I've never done much miner and p2pool tuning, so I gotta dig into that. I can't seem to find much detail on tuning ccminer. I think even my vertcoin-qt server can be tuned. I'm using someone's web settings of "block_nTime=1317972665 and block_nNonce=2084524493" in the vertcoin.conf file. No idea what they do yet. Time to research...
legendary
Activity: 1537
Merit: 1005
Your "flatline" happens for core clock 1696, notice that when its bumpy the clock is at 1835.
So my idea is that on a constant(unlimited)1835 you would have an even greater hashrate, but driver is hitting OC / OV limit and keeps throttling the card to keep it in limits.

It might be a driver issue that it keeps switching between those two "modes", or you are just at a boundary of two boost modes.
Anyway, to force the flatline I would force the constant 1696 clock, or raise the power limit to not throttle the card at 1835.

I'm pretty sure the 1696 was just chance of when I hit printscreen. I had seen the clock higher moments before (I think, I'll verify next time it happens). Besides, the card's baseclock is 1695, so it frequently jumps up with 125OC and then briefly down to that level. Higher power just adds tons of heat (temp quickly runs up to toward 80 and fan revs up too for very minor gain in hash). 100% power never comes close to the efficiency and heat readings I'm getting at 81% power, +125OC, auto fan, and the weird "flatline" thing. It's so strange. Two different cards, two different manufacturers did this. The MSI FE would get up to 85 degrees or higher when it happened, so I sent it back. With the gigabyte it's great, the card runs so cool, but I can't figure out how to make it stay in "flatline" mode, or if it's even possible. Was hoping to trouble shoot by finding out if anyone else had experienced this. Maybe someone has.

Hmm I thought that yellow core clock line shows that hashrate has been stable for long period of time.
Now I realize that it keeps jumping, but is not reflected on the clock graph? (1500 mark is at the same place on both screens).
Your "flatline" happens for core clock 1696, notice that when its bumpy the clock is at 1835.
So my idea is that on a constant(unlimited)1835 you would have an even greater hashrate, but driver is hitting OC / OV limit and keeps throttling the card to keep it in limits.

It might be a driver issue that it keeps switching between those two "modes", or you are just at a boundary of two boost modes.
Anyway, to force the flatline I would force the constant 1696 clock, or raise the power limit to not throttle the card at 1835.

I'm pretty sure the 1696 was just chance of when I hit printscreen. I had seen the clock higher moments before (I think, I'll verify next time it happens). Besides, the card's baseclock is 1695, so it frequently jumps up with 125OC and then briefly down to that level. Higher power just adds tons of heat (temp quickly runs up to toward 80 and fan revs up too for very minor gain in hash). 100% power never comes close to the efficiency and heat readings I'm getting at 81% power, +125OC, auto fan, and the weird "flatline" thing. It's so strange. Two different cards, two different manufacturers did this. The MSI FE would get up to 85 degrees or higher when it happened, so I sent it back. With the gigabyte it's great, the card runs so cool, but I can't figure out how to make it stay in "flatline" mode, or if it's even possible. Was hoping to trouble shoot by finding out if anyone else had experienced this. Maybe someone has.
legendary

Has anyone else noticed an issue with the power flatlining and the hash rate getting a boost? I've had two separate cards, one MSI FE, the other Gigabyte G1 Gaming, and both will run for hours (sometimes days) at a time before the power goes from it's usual noisy band to a flatline. The plus side is the hash rate (on lyra2v2) goes up 2-4%, while the power reports being at the limit (81) or sometimes lower (71, see pic below). The downside is the GPU temp increases 3-4 degrees, which is fine because I run it at a cool 69, so it only hits 72-74, but still, I'd like to know what's happening. I suspect my PSU (EVGA 500W) is not enough for an OC'd 3-fan 1080, but I'm limiting the power to 81%, and there's nothing else running on the machine besides p2pool and a wallet in server mode. Anyhow, it was an amazon warehouse deal, so someone else returned it, possibly for this exact reason. But the thing is, I like this, and I'd like to know how to *force* the card into this mode, because I'd like to permanently get the bump in hash rate. It'll stay in this "flatline" mode for hours, sometimes 24+, but eventually it goes back to the normal noisy band, then returns again later (usually around 12-16 hours).

Its windows 10  will do ubuntu tonight.....

Yes there is reported problem with NV and windows 10 with newer driver and ethereum, see genoil miner thread for updates, also there were talk modded driver is in work which can solve this problem...
What you see here is win 10 rs1 14361 build and unreleased driver - this should be ready for july win 10 update, power limit is set to 60% and eaqual to 90w power draw
Btw - lira2rev2 perf for 1070 is 30.5mhs

Has anyone else noticed an issue with the power flatlining and the hash rate getting a boost? I've had two separate cards, one MSI FE, the other Gigabyte G1 Gaming, and both will run for hours (sometimes days) at a time before the power goes from it's usual noisy band to a flatline. The plus side is the hash rate (on lyra2v2) goes up 2-4%, while the power reports being at the limit (81) or sometimes lower (71, see pic below). The downside is the GPU temp increases 3-4 degrees, which is fine because I run it at a cool 69, so it only hits 72-74, but still, I'd like to know what's happening. I suspect my PSU (EVGA 500W) is not enough for an OC'd 3-fan 1080, but I'm limiting the power to 81%, and there's nothing else running on the machine besides p2pool and a wallet in server mode. Anyhow, it was an amazon warehouse deal, so someone else returned it, possibly for this exact reason. But the thing is, I like this, and I'd like to know how to *force* the card into this mode, because I'd like to permanently get the bump in hash rate. It'll stay in this "flatline" mode for hours, sometimes 24+, but eventually it goes back to the normal noisy band, then returns again later (usually around 12-16 hours).

Win 10, i7-4770 3.4 Ghz, 8GB DDR3, EVGA 500W, Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming (not OC model, but base clock 1695), in a Dell XPS 8700 (yes, it's a factory dell and MB, I know, I know).

Normal (Core Clock says 1696 but that was just chance when I hit printscreen; it's usually higher):

Flatline "Boost":
Activity: 148
Merit: 100
2x8 pin are bad, don't buy them, there is no reason anymore with pascal to have 2x8pin card they just force you to buy an expensive psu with additional cable that won't be available with the psu itself

For the 1070, the power consumption is low. There is no need for the 2X8 pin, which can support up to 375W.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
2x8 pin are bad, don't buy them, there is no reason anymore with pascal to have 2x8pin card they just force you to buy an expensive psu with additional cable that won't be available with the psu itself

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
I got one last thing now

I looked through the entire thread. For the msot part a GTX 1070 is a GTX 1070 but I have not seen any post about getting an EVGA card when using finder, let alone this FTW edition. 10+2 power phase and 2x8pins

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Adjustable-Graphics-08G-P4-6276-KR/dp/B01I60OGUK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

For those making dedicated mining rigs, the 2x 8 pins is a problem. Otherwise would there be a reason to avoid this for someone who is just using it in their normal desktop? Only possible problem I could see is that the card might be absolutely awful while idle or have some minimal TDP as I saw a post critique one other card over such an issue. I emailed EVGA about the minimal TDP to be sure.

So long as nothing forces the card to be consuming a minimum TDP of some amount, this would appear to be a deal.

edit:
Here is the post about that TDP minimum
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15566821
legendary
I have a question

Does the GTX 1070 only do poorly with Eth in windows, or is it for all coins?

And how does the GTX 1070 perform on dual mining. I am not seeing mention in the last few pages.

Claymore hasnt released his dual miner for nvidia cards yet.
legendary
I have a question

And how does the GTX 1070 perform on dual mining. I am not seeing mention in the last few pages.

only dag algo, it perform very well on other algo, the dag algo problem will be fixed soon, it's only a matter of driver
I have a question

legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1001
I read exit a new bios for gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming , but i dont know the advantage .
legendary
yeah i don't like strix either, i bought g1 gaming i find it much better, very reliable and stable also vram are covered, not that it matter now since i don't oc mem, it's useless
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
I personally love the strix - its running great on lbry mining 245MH at 60% fans and 65C
Strix's fans are known to fail fast also overpriced card.

And FE's are 410USD now
Activity: 70
What do you guys think about FE GTX 1070's fan? As i understand it is sleeve bearing (which is not very durable)? Are FE's good for mining overall?

the only good thing, is that apparently they cna be overclocked higher on average, they reach easily 2100, them should remain good with few, cards but with multiple one near together it may be far worse

i thought the reviews generally found the FE to hit 80C+ at much lower fequencies tan with the aftermarkets.

I personally love the strix - its running great on lbry mining 245MH at 60% fans and 65C
I stumbled on this while browsing reddit hardware trade

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/4v4rvh/usafl_h_msi_gtx_1070_armor_edition_w_paypal/

MSI Armor edition being sold for 380 USD, normally a 500 USD card. I figure it might be of interest to someone here.
legendary
What do you guys think about FE GTX 1070's fan? As i understand it is sleeve bearing (which is not very durable)? Are FE's good for mining overall?

the only good thing, is that apparently they can be overclocked higher on average, they reach easily 2100, then should remain good with few cards, but with multiple one near together it may be far worse
legendary
Activity: 1901
Merit: 1024
NV has more redefined power control then AMD, so undervolting is not so needed, also power consumption of 1xxx series are just insane good

Only problem can be a boost 3.0 which can drop clock for many reason, as power requirement, temps, voltage, even 3rd party software GPU usage as chrome in widows can make it drop boost
i dont think we have any bios files for the 10xx series yet
manufacturers have. they supply same card with diff BIOSes with diff clocks and sells them according to flashed clocks.
that's how i flashed BIOS from higher-end model to a cheaper lower-end model and got overclocked card

- but they are quite easy to overclock anyways.
not so easy with ubuntu 16 with latest drivers / or i'm doing smthing wrong

AFAIK bios files are more to enable UNDERVOLTING
AFAIK there is no problem with overvoltage with nvidia cards as with AMD cards when some manufacturers flash crazy voltage (1.25V) by default
Pages:
Jump to: