Pages:
Author

Topic: I visited BFL, any questions ? - page 5. (Read 14832 times)

Activity: 186
Merit: 100
April 25, 2012, 12:10:23 PM

As far as shipping dates goes, they seem to be hitting their targets lately...

Do they now? Has been 12 weeks for me already...
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
April 25, 2012, 12:03:28 PM
Thanks.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
April 24, 2012, 03:39:50 PM
At least 100 singles and 7 mini rigs.
legendary
April 24, 2012, 01:21:39 PM
It's not a side job, at least for the people I have met.  But the demand far exceeds anything they were expecting, I think.  That, coupled with the unusual requirements mining bitcoins puts on an FPGA design accounts for most of the problems people have seen so far.  There is a lot of labor that goes into assembling a single, to include the testing they do.  It's a fairly labor intensive process at this point - it will probably be streamlined at some point, but there's still the learning curve and then you throw in development of the Rigbox and a couple other bitcoin projects and there's only so much time in a day. 

Like I said in the other thread, there are far more orders that I personally have knowledge of than are reported on these forums.  That does not include anything I am not privy to, which is likely quite a bit.  I just speak from experience talking to a number of people who have placed orders that either aren't on the forum at all or do not post and only lurk. 
How many orders (and qtys in those orders) do you know of that aren't on the forum?
legendary
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
April 24, 2012, 01:14:43 PM
It's not a side job, at least for the people I have met.  But the demand far exceeds anything they were expecting, I think.  That, coupled with the unusual requirements mining bitcoins puts on an FPGA design accounts for most of the problems people have seen so far.  There is a lot of labor that goes into assembling a single, to include the testing they do.  It's a fairly labor intensive process at this point - it will probably be streamlined at some point, but there's still the learning curve and then you throw in development of the Rigbox and a couple other bitcoin projects and there's only so much time in a day. 

Like I said in the other thread, there are far more orders that I personally have knowledge of than are reported on these forums.  That does not include anything I am not privy to, which is likely quite a bit.  I just speak from experience talking to a number of people who have placed orders that either aren't on the forum at all or do not post and only lurk. 

Are they working on other things?!??  Where's my popcorn?  I demand you give us the juicy dirt Inaba!   Smiley Cheesy Grin Cheesy Wink
legendary
April 24, 2012, 12:28:46 PM

Activity: 85
Merit: 10
April 24, 2012, 12:23:08 PM
I must admit that I am still suspicious of this particular thread.  Anyone who bothered to look at the OPs post history can see that they registered a few weeks before posting, and I find it odd that someone would just book a flight for the hell of it because they just decided to buy 100k worth of bitcoin mining equipment after tinkering with some GPU miners for a short while.

I found out about Bitcoin in early March, 2 days later I found this forum, another 3 days later I placed an order for Butterfly Single, and 2 weeks later ordered MiniRig. Nothing suspicions.

You also posted that you lost $10k trading and used to to justify the risk of dropping $15k because you have "guts".  Wink

My assumptions are based on my own standard for what is questionable due diligence, but that varies and this is just my opinion.  Deep pockets enable you to take bigger risks.

I wasn't tinkering with gpu miners for a while, I was following bitcoin from the start. I'm not some random guy who stumbled upon bitcoin, I invested more money on more crazy things before.

Fair enough, I'm not making any accusations, just voicing my suspicions.  As a fellow miner I do hope it all works out for you.

Thank you Smiley
donator
Activity: 362
Merit: 250
April 24, 2012, 12:05:23 PM
I must admit that I am still suspicious of this particular thread.  Anyone who bothered to look at the OPs post history can see that they registered a few weeks before posting, and I find it odd that someone would just book a flight for the hell of it because they just decided to buy 100k worth of bitcoin mining equipment after tinkering with some GPU miners for a short while.

I found out about Bitcoin in early March, 2 days later I found this forum, another 3 days later I placed an order for Butterfly Single, and 2 weeks later ordered MiniRig. Nothing suspicions.

You also posted that you lost $10k trading and used to to justify the risk of dropping $15k because you have "guts".  Wink

My assumptions are based on my own standard for what is questionable due diligence, but that varies and this is just my opinion.  Deep pockets enable you to take bigger risks.

I wasn't tinkering with gpu miners for a while, I was following bitcoin from the start. I'm not some random guy who stumbled upon bitcoin, I invested more money on more crazy things before.

Fair enough, I'm not making any accusations, just voicing my suspicions.  As a fellow miner I do hope it all works out for you.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
April 24, 2012, 11:57:06 AM
They have the most demand of ANY miner manufacturer right now, and that's not going to change for a long time.  They have a really cheap product for how much MH/s it runs.  Because demand is so high, they would likely make less money by conning everyone instead of just continuing to provide the product.  Not to mention, a multi-million dollar con would mean they'd definitely be on the run from the law and some serious investigators.  I doubt that's the position they want to be in...

I think this is a valid assumption.  The fact is that their product works.  I'm guessing they had no expectation that demand would be this great.  We don't know their profit margin, but I believe it would be MUCH more lucrative for them to grow their business as bitcoin gains traction.  I'd go so far as to say their revenue could be in the millions next year if they continue to deliver their products, even if they are late.  I appears to have worked out well for them so far, now they just need to hire a few more people to answer emails and provide tech support.

I must admit that I am still suspicious of this particular thread.  Anyone who bothered to look at the OPs post history can see that they registered a few weeks before posting, and I find it odd that someone would just book a flight for the hell of it because they just decided to buy 100k worth of bitcoin mining equipment after tinkering with some GPU miners for a short while.

Activity: 336
April 24, 2012, 11:53:03 AM
They have the most demand of ANY miner manufacturer right now, and that's not going to change for a long time.  They have a really cheap product for how much MH/s it runs.  Because demand is so high, they would likely make less money by conning everyone instead of just continuing to provide the product.  Not to mention, a multi-million dollar con would mean they'd definitely be on the run from the law and some serious investigators.  I doubt that's the position they want to be in...

I think this is a valid assumption.  The fact is that their product works.  I'm guessing they had no expectation that demand would be this great.  We don't know their profit margin, but I believe it would be MUCH more lucrative for them to grow their business as bitcoin gains traction.  I'd go so far as to say their revenue could be in the millions next year if they continue to deliver their products, even if they are late.  I appears to have worked out well for them so far, now they just need to hire a few more people to answer emails and provide tech support.

I must admit that I am still suspicious of this particular thread.  Anyone who bothered to look at the OPs post history can see that they registered a few weeks before posting, and I find it odd that someone would just book a flight for the hell of it because they just decided to buy 100k worth of bitcoin mining equipment after tinkering with some GPU miners for a short while.

donator
Activity: 362
April 24, 2012, 11:48:37 AM

legendary
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
April 24, 2012, 11:24:08 AM
Hey Inaba,  since you have been there I was wondering if it struck you that this was a side job to most of them (so not putting in at least 40 a week)?

Maybe that would explain some of the tardiness.
legendary
April 24, 2012, 11:14:26 AM
mem, I might agree with you if there was a good reason for them to be operating a long con.  But there's just not.

Anyway, you're obviously welcome to think whatever you like, and if we all get scammed, you can point your finger and say "told ya so!"
Activity: 336
April 24, 2012, 09:36:21 AM
Jealousy causes him to come up as to why the BFL is bad. Probably can't afford one or too scared to order one, and thus envies people who can afford and order.
legendary
April 24, 2012, 08:50:35 AM
Seeing as I've been to their facility several times and talked extensively with a few BFL people, I would say all your explanations are pure bullshit and you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

legendary
Activity: 1512
April 24, 2012, 04:46:11 AM

herp derp - someone disagreed because they thaid tho  Roll Eyes
I guess you might not be familiar with long cons (or are simply blind fanboys for BFL).

Lets cover the basics:

[...]
Blah Blah Blah, Yap Yap Yap...
[...]

Option C:  You have no idea what you're talking about.
mem
Activity: 644
Merit: 501
Herp Derp PTY LTD
April 24, 2012, 04:37:20 AM
I hope bfl works out but to me it reeks of a long con.
Will keep buying up 2nd hand gpus until then Smiley

I taught about the long con theory before and now...I just think that what happened was an horrible product launch. One of the worst next to the Xbox 360  Grin

Their product seems good, and I really think they're doing their best to make a nice business out of it. I'm still not interested until they fix all their launch mess, there's no way I'm waiting 12 weeks for something, but I'll probably check later on.

Me to buddy, I want to......

Activity: 632
Merit: 500
April 24, 2012, 04:22:16 AM

I taught about the long con theory before and now...I just think that what happened was an horrible product launch. One of the worst next to the Xbox 360  Grin

Their product seems good, and I really think they're doing their best to make a nice business out of it. I'm still not interested until they fix all their launch mess, there's no way I'm waiting 12 weeks for something, but I'll probably check later on.
mem
Activity: 644
Merit: 501
Herp Derp PTY LTD
April 24, 2012, 04:11:28 AM
Yeah everything in the world is a long con, just because I said so. Roll Eyes

herp derp - someone disagreed because they thaid tho  Roll Eyes
I guess you might not be familiar with long cons (or are simply blind fanboys for BFL).

Lets cover the basics:

Dubious company registration.
Next to no contact.
Outright lies regarding delivery times (and has continued to lie regarding delivery times for 6+ months).
Extremely few seen out in the wild (enough that you could simply pay someone for a false review to help out the long con).
0 information on chips used (this is the only thing that does not bother me).
Constant spamming of BFL.
The person assuring us its not a con has answered 0 questions of substance, instead selling you on the "I trust them, you should to".

As previously said - this is what a long con looks like.

1st option

Some user finally hits a to long to wait time, logs a complaint and BFL fob you off with emails.
BFL then simply start ignoring you or worse, stating that you are a scammer trying to get a free BFL.
The members claiming they have working BFL's start disappearing, those that dont visicously defend it insisting it is real with quotes like "HAHAHA more for me" and "I trusted them with 1 billion dollars, they are the real deal !" and "I lost all this weight in 2 weeks !!!".
Website keeps operating despite bad reviews hoping to scrape a few more suckers.

Lets hope this is not the case, but there is absolutely nothing to vouch for BFL currently. For their product or for their companies reliability.
This thread only served to highlight concerns and ease none.

2nd option

Another likely scenario IMHO is this company is not a con but is running afoul of several US laws, at a guess encryption limitations and most likely tax fraud.

3rd option

They are using chips they do not have a license for and would be sued should the parent company find out.
Or counterfeit chips that are not allowed inside the US (due to original creators copyright).

Happy Option:

BFL Hashes pure rainbows and runs on a perpetual motion engine.
6 month delays become shipping times of 3-14 days (website is updated to reflect the real delivery time).
Multiple people testing and confirming legitimacy.
Everyone is happy.

Mid ground option

They are severely under-budget and are accumulating funds to do a bulk fab.
Pending customers have no real expected time of manufacture and delivery.
Significant chance of waiting
legendary
April 24, 2012, 03:09:17 AM
Yeah everything in the world is a long con, just because I said so. Roll Eyes
Hey, don't knock him.  If he's still buying GPU's, that means more BFL singles for the rest of us.  :p
Pages:
Jump to: