Pages:
Author

Topic: I visited BFL, any questions ? - page 9. (Read 14832 times)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10
April 12, 2012, 04:12:07 AM
Arguing about it at this point is pointless, It won't change anything Smiley , We'll see in a few months anyway Smiley , be patient Smiley
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
April 12, 2012, 03:12:53 AM
The list of BFL BS is never ending. They must be thinking we are all complete idiots.

After seeing the things people do around here I almost think I would be in agreement with them, if that is indeed what they think.
Activity: 489
Merit: 500
Immersionist
April 12, 2012, 03:11:07 AM
I was talking to rjk and he was talking to me.

If you believe I am trolling you got the wrong idea.

And last time I checked this was a public forum.

I'm not defending anyone here

You are not? Let me quote the opening paragraph in your initial post in this thread.

If you have any doubts about about their operation or intentions you can relax, they are really working hard, trying to answer every question you ask from emails to forums, they value your opinions, and they are really trying hard to meet the deadlines they promised.

But in general I wasn't even referring to you directly.

We already have enough BFL threads, I am not going to open a new one.

April 12, 2012, 03:08:55 AM
No, not even at the beginning. The BS already started at that time.

For instance, the (now defunct) company registration under "BF Labs" in Wyoming because of tax reasons and it's supposedly the place to be for Furtune 500 companies.

Wyoming is a very odd choice for tax reasons. And there are no Fortune 500 incorporations in Wyoming. Heck, we don't even know if this is really their own business registration and they are not just pointing at it.

The list of BFL BS is never ending. They must be thinking we are all complete idiots.

Their only advantage is that some people here on the forums decided to defend them. Maybe because they are trying to convince themselves that they put their money on the winning horse, or maybe because they are really confident in what they are doing. But that doesn't change the fact that sending your money to BFL is extremely risky (even leaving out all the Bitcoin related risks).

I'm not defending anyone here , this is not a thread about your opinions, if you have opinions on the subject, please open up a new thread and voice them there.

stop trolling.

Immersionist
April 12, 2012, 01:39:57 AM
No, not even at the beginning. The BS already started at that time.

For instance, the (now defunct) company registration under "BF Labs" in Wyoming because of tax reasons and it's supposedly the place to be for Furtune 500 companies.

Wyoming is a very odd choice for tax reasons. And there are no Fortune 500 incorporations in Wyoming. Heck, we don't even know if this is really their own business registration and they are not just pointing at it.

Their only advantage is that some people here on the forums decided to defend them. Maybe because they are trying to convince themselves that they put their money on the winning horse, or maybe because they are really confident in what they are doing. But that doesn't change the fact that sending your money to BFL is extremely risky (even leaving out all the Bitcoin related risks).
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
April 12, 2012, 12:27:22 AM
I'm sure they have both regretted taking him up, and also embraced the business opportunity, since there was and continues to be so much bullshit and flak from bitcoiners, but also so many orders. The Bitcoiner is an enigma, really. 2 parts asshole to 1 part greedy consumer, for most.

Ztex, ngazhang and FPGAmining don't have to take 'bullshit and flak' from bitcoiners (except the one dude who decided to buy Icarus when ngzhang already stopped making them, and he decided to bash Chinese for the size of their dong, lol). I am not Chinese by the way Wink

The problem doesn't lie with bitcoiners, it lies with BFL.
Not even right at the very beginning when they first offered their products? And I mean in general as well, not necessarily specific cases.
Immersionist
April 12, 2012, 12:25:53 AM
I'm sure they have both regretted taking him up, and also embraced the business opportunity, since there was and continues to be so much bullshit and flak from bitcoiners, but also so many orders. The Bitcoiner is an enigma, really. 2 parts asshole to 1 part greedy consumer, for most.

Ztex, ngazhang and FPGAmining don't have to take 'bullshit and flak' from bitcoiners (except the one dude who decided to buy Icarus when ngzhang already stopped making them, and he decided to bash Chinese for the size of their dong, just because he was too late for the party lol). I am not Chinese by the way Wink

The problem doesn't lie with bitcoiners, it lies with BFL.

rjk
1ngldh
April 11, 2012, 03:35:22 PM
I don't have any evidence, however ...
Yeah, because it isn't true...
Activity: 518
April 11, 2012, 03:30:46 PM
I can confirm that there is in fact more people working on the BFL stuff than just Sonny and the Ninja Lady.  I've spoken to and worked with one of the engineers... how do you think EasyMiner is being made, out of thin air? 

No, we just assumed you and 'Sonny' are one in the same.

Wink

I know this is going into conspiracy tinfoil territory but I would not surprise me if gigasvps and Inaba were actually employed by BFL since they seem to be doing a lot of their PR work on these forums ...

I don't have any evidence, however ...
April 11, 2012, 02:38:42 PM
Why moan about someone else's money ? if he wants to invest then it is his choice.

Agreed.

One thing however, the title of the thread should be changed to "I just spent 100k$ on BFL, any questions?",
because most of the answers to antirack's questions didn't answer anything at all (quotes "I have no idea", "I cannot answer this question", "I don't care", "no comment" or evasion by a counter question) and made me wonder what the purpose of the OP posting really was.

And stating
Quote from: darkice
I believe someone declaring that they just spent abour 100k into bitcoin and it's future, and trust that It will have that value in the future actually helps this community
is not very convincing either.
what else do you want ?  free cookies ? Smiley

Nope, no free cookies, I'm not a cookie type person.

What about a few more questions answered about the mini-rig:

1) So as I take from your previous answers you did not see a mini-rig or a real-life prototype of it, is that correct?

Yes

2) The boards you saw, where those really mini-rig modules or just the usual BFL Single modules (those are not the same)?

I know, I saw the latest BFL single , But I was aware of the fact.

3) Did they show you one of these boards running at the spec'd 1.4GH/s?

No, But the reason was clear enough.

4) Did they show you the "assembly line" where they build and test the devices (mini-rigs or BFL Singles)?

Yes

5) What else did you observe during your visit that instilled the necessary confidence to you to make your mini-rig investment with them?

Their general attitude, honest answers to my questions, I saw investment they made and I decided they are definitely not running away with my money, their current investment is way more than the money I'm paying so it's illogical for them to make that much investment just to scam me, Its like buying a ferrari to get 10k credit from a bank Smiley .

Thank you for your answers and your patience with me!

np  Smiley

Activity: 252
Inactive
April 11, 2012, 02:30:38 PM
I can confirm that there is in fact more people working on the BFL stuff than just Sonny and the Ninja Lady.  I've spoken to and worked with one of the engineers... how do you think EasyMiner is being made, out of thin air? 

No, we just assumed you and 'Sonny' are one in the same.

Wink
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
April 11, 2012, 02:17:30 PM
April 11, 2012, 02:06:57 PM
Why moan about someone else's money ? if he wants to invest then it is his choice.

Agreed.

One thing however, the title of the thread should be changed to "I just spent 100k$ on BFL, any questions?",
because most of the answers to antirack's questions didn't answer anything at all (quotes "I have no idea", "I cannot answer this question", "I don't care", "no comment" or evasion by a counter question) and made me wonder what the purpose of the OP posting really was.

And stating
Quote from: darkice
I believe someone declaring that they just spent abour 100k into bitcoin and it's future, and trust that It will have that value in the future actually helps this community
is not very convincing either.

ok dont invest in bitcoin then, problem solved Smiley , I am not selling anything, I dont care what you do with your money, I am not trying to prove anything , what else do you want ?  free cookies ? Smiley
Activity: 336
April 11, 2012, 12:47:26 PM
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
April 11, 2012, 12:20:01 PM
You don't have to answer it if you don't want to, but I'd be interested to know how many rigs/mini-rigs you ordered. Grin

not much Smiley half a dozen or so Smiley

This is another point I don't understand.

If you invest $100,000 or so you clearly have to think about risks and exit strategies.

BTC coming to a grinding halt and you can use your $100k devices as paper weights. Same if mining with FPGA's becomes unprofitable. Or if for some reason you need your money back.

With $100k invested in off the shelf FPGA devices (instead of "BFL's own chip") you could salvage the chips and recover a substantial amount of your $100k investment in the very worst case. If Bitcoin would still be going, the resale value of a an FPGA cluster would virtually be the same or higher as a BFL unit.

It just doesn't compute with me why on earth somebody would take that kind of risk and give his money to BFL of all.

Maybe just because I am working in the electronics industry for a company in Hong Kong (not related to Bitcoin or mining) and I know how this kind of stuff works and goes wrong all the time. That's probably also why I can see that lots of info coming from BFL is BS. I am certainly not somebody that knows everything and all of it, and I am no engineer/developer. But I have a certain perspective that a simple end user might not have. I've been handling developing and manufacturing projects for over a decade, on a small scale not Foxxconn/Apple size, but still significant.

Give me your $100k (and some more) and I'll build you a mining rig with lower risk and one that can truly be used for something else than Bitcoin mining and with higher after market value. I may even find another person or two to put down the same amount of money. And if something goes wrong with Bitcoin, I promise to salvage the FPGA devices for you to get your investment back. And after all, Chinese New Year is over, so I will probably do it much faster than BFL Wink (<- I am just kidding).

I believe someone declaring that they just spent abour 100k into bitcoin and it's future, and trust that It will have that value in the future actually helps this community, thats the reason I opened this topic, It's my way of telling everybody, I just risked 100k$ , I risked it for bitcoin and I trust bitcoin enough that I believe I'll get my money back and have profit.

If you think on that line what I do is good for Bitcoin, I'm publicly declaring that I trust it enough to risk my money, alot of it.

Bitcoin does not have any intrinsic value other that our trust in it, so In bitcoin, I trust Smiley , we should declare our trust in it, and act accordingly, I'm taking that risk because my my gut tells me BTC will be far more valuable in the future Smiley .

and actually telling you guys I'm getting them is not in my best interest because this is also like a competition, and you always have the advantage when competition doesn't know what you are doing, but I believe declaring this publicly will benefit me more in the future by inreasing trust in bitcoin so I'm doing it anyway.

Well, in this case it IS in your best interest to tell people that you're ordering a bunch of rigs, because that might further discourage other people from adding hashing power to the network, securing more profits for yourself in the future.  Wink
April 11, 2012, 11:59:53 AM
You don't have to answer it if you don't want to, but I'd be interested to know how many rigs/mini-rigs you ordered. Grin

not much Smiley half a dozen or so Smiley

This is another point I don't understand.

If you invest $100,000 or so you clearly have to think about risks and exit strategies.

BTC coming to a grinding halt and you can use your $100k devices as paper weights. Same if mining with FPGA's becomes unprofitable. Or if for some reason you need your money back.

With $100k invested in off the shelf FPGA devices (instead of "BFL's own chip") you could salvage the chips and recover a substantial amount of your $100k investment in the very worst case. If Bitcoin would still be going, the resale value of a an FPGA cluster would virtually be the same or higher as a BFL unit.

It just doesn't compute with me why on earth somebody would take that kind of risk and give his money to BFL of all.

Maybe just because I am working in the electronics industry for a company in Hong Kong (not related to Bitcoin or mining) and I know how this kind of stuff works and goes wrong all the time. That's probably also why I can see that lots of info coming from BFL is BS. I am certainly not somebody that knows everything and all of it, and I am no engineer/developer. But I have a certain perspective that a simple end user might not have. I've been handling developing and manufacturing projects for over a decade, on a small scale not Foxxconn/Apple size, but still significant.

Give me your $100k (and some more) and I'll build you a mining rig with lower risk and one that can truly be used for something else than Bitcoin mining and with higher after market value. I may even find another person or two to put down the same amount of money. And if something goes wrong with Bitcoin, I promise to salvage the FPGA devices for you to get your investment back. And after all, Chinese New Year is over, so I will probably do it much faster than BFL Wink (<- I am just kidding).

I believe someone declaring that they just spent abour 100k into bitcoin and it's future, and trust that It will have that value in the future actually helps this community, thats the reason I opened this topic, It's my way of telling everybody, I just risked 100k$ , I risked it for bitcoin and I trust bitcoin enough that I believe I'll get my money back and have profit.

If you think on that line what I do is good for Bitcoin, I'm publicly declaring that I trust it enough to risk my money, alot of it.

Bitcoin does not have any intrinsic value other that our trust in it, so In bitcoin, I trust Smiley , we should declare our trust in it, and act accordingly, I'm taking that risk because my my gut tells me BTC will be far more valuable in the future Smiley .

and actually telling you guys I'm getting them is not in my best interest because this is also like a competition, and you always have the advantage when competition doesn't know what you are doing, but I believe declaring this publicly will benefit me more in the future by inreasing trust in bitcoin so I'm doing it anyway.
April 11, 2012, 11:39:30 AM

No offense but for someone who's visited them, you don't appear to know much. All of your answers are very generic.

I have doubts that this other engineer even exists personally.
From what I've heard/seen BFL could just consist of Sonny and his mother.
Maybe that's why they take forever to reply to emails or fulfil orders?

That engineer exists Smiley i can vouch for that, I'm a computer scientist, I manifacture electronics in taiwan, china, Turkey since 1994, I know the deal, they are not a scam, It's not two guys and a table, they have a nice operation setup scaling up nicely, I'm not under NDA but since I respect them and I know how this type of business works, I'll act like I'm under NDA and cannot disclose any details, I'll try to answer any questions that does not breach that line otherwise , I'll be giving general answers, sorry.
rjk
1ngldh
April 11, 2012, 08:59:55 AM
Remember that BFL and their Single already existed before they stumbled onto mining

Citation needed.
Although I don't have a link to anything specific, it was a member of chugalug that pointed them our way, when they had an early prototype. I'm sure they have both regretted taking him up, and also embraced the business opportunity, since there was and continues to be so much bullshit and flak from bitcoiners, but also so many orders. The Bitcoiner is an enigma, really. 2 parts asshole to 1 part greedy consumer, for most.
Activity: 518
April 11, 2012, 07:29:23 AM
Probably the most shady thing about BFL is the long lead time.

I still think they are using this to mine on the units so they get half of the unit already paid before they ship them out to the customer.

How many units did you see they were "testing" Roll Eyes
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
April 11, 2012, 07:18:48 AM
Pages:
Jump to: