Pages:
Author

Topic: IBM DPS-4KW PSU (Dual DPS-2000BB) Breakout Boards and Packages!!! - page 6. (Read 20178 times)

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
PSU's & Package prices reduced, cost gone down a bit.  May have a source for better-priced 24" PCIe cables which will bring costs down significantly.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Finksy / J4bberwock's 4K bundle is the real deal folks.  So Sexy and So clean clean!  Super quiet and probably easily the best bang for the buck for powering per S7 / Avalon.   I was able to power 3 x S7 OC at 731M for 3 weeks and test it up to 90 degree heat, no issues.  Although I would never recommend OC any box unless you can maintain temperature control in the low 70s.  I have both the Voltage control and non voltage control versions.  I wouldn't recommend pushing voltage too high and it should always be done in a very cool environment or you could risk burning your boards.  Look at how clean the 4K bundle looks with the Ultra Kaze fan.  I can even put it on the side and let the fan push all the hot air toward my hot zones and let it vent out to the attic.  It works well having the fan push sideways or upward, see pictures.

legendary
Also, all PCIe cables and C19-C20 cables are back in stock (for now, lol. Ordering more now...)  I am working at obtaining some C19 to NEMA variations for a very reasonable price without too large a MOQ.  As soon as I can make it happen I will, PM me if you have preferences (NEMA 5-15P, 6-15P, 5-20P, 6-20P they are all built to handle the same amount of current, but have blades orientated differently to comply w/ code)
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
I'm back and will be replying to PM's for the next 6 hours...

Thanks for the link to Kilo's mods.  That is a fantastic solution that doesn't require the early-rev PSU's, and saves me from soldering the damn SMD chips & pots! Very cool and a great solution.  Another clean way to do it would be to use a stepped drill bit until the adjust pot is accessible.

I did the drill thing on the 1200's and takes and extra 2 minutes  Wink

I will do the same ! Wink
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"

Thanks for the link to Kilo's mods.  That is a fantastic solution that doesn't require the early-rev PSU's, and saves me from soldering the damn SMD chips & pots! Very cool and a great solution.  Another clean way to do it would be to use a stepped drill bit until the adjust pot is accessible.

I did the drill thing on the 1200's and takes and extra 2 minutes  Wink
legendary

Thanks for the link to Kilo's mods.  That is a fantastic solution that doesn't require the early-rev PSU's, and saves me from soldering the damn SMD chips & pots! Very cool and a great solution.  Another clean way to do it would be to use a stepped drill bit until the adjust pot is accessible.
legendary
Not sure Kilo,  when I was testing via the EVGA which connects the S7 to my 120V outlet to my Wemo Insight, it was showing pulling 1540W at the wall.  I would assume the EVGA G2 1300W efficiency rating is similar to the IBM PSU or worst as the 2KW PSU is not Platinum.    So if I use 1540 x 90% which I doubt the IBM PSU is that efficient = 1386W x 3 =4158W.  Seems overloaded to me but I don't have any tools to measure wattage for my 240V line.

Also I think your math above may be off by 1 digit perhaps typo or close key, but 1290W at 93% efficiency from Bitmain info x 3 S7 is 3870W.  These PSU are no where near 93% and even if they can get 90% they're at 100% load.  I think people are saying these are somewhere in the high 80s range efficiency right?  That would make it way over.  I'm running them now and the garage is plenty cold so it's not an issue right now, but concern when spring / summer hits.

You are correct, I calculated at 1210 (oops), Finsky has corrected me below.  But to clear up, the PSU puts out 2000 watts and the efficiency has to do with the draw at the wall and not how many watts are put out on the 12 volt side.

@Finsky, do all of the revisions have the voltage trim pot on the inside or only the older revisions?  I want to order some more packages but do not necessarily need the trim on the breakout board since it is so easy to adjust on the inside.  thanks

Jabber confirmed me that up to Rev10 they have all the internal Pot.

HerbPean- Here is a link to some useful information I found in my searches to adjust trim pot for my REV1 DPS-2000BB. (From an RC Car forum) From the reading, REV9M and higher require modification before the trim pots on those PSUs can be modified.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18117345&postcount=611

They still have the two pots to adjust the Amp and Voltage. You can't just use jabber external control without doing the modification but you can still change the Voltage with the internal pot.

The one on the right is the voltage adjustment and the one to the left is the amperage adjustment (I do not mess with that one - Wink

Took off 6 screws to get the top off, cut off that piece with some snips, and back together all in less than 10 minutes.

Activity: 212
Not sure Kilo,  when I was testing via the EVGA which connects the S7 to my 120V outlet to my Wemo Insight, it was showing pulling 1540W at the wall.  I would assume the EVGA G2 1300W efficiency rating is similar to the IBM PSU or worst as the 2KW PSU is not Platinum.    So if I use 1540 x 90% which I doubt the IBM PSU is that efficient = 1386W x 3 =4158W.  Seems overloaded to me but I don't have any tools to measure wattage for my 240V line.

Also I think your math above may be off by 1 digit perhaps typo or close key, but 1290W at 93% efficiency from Bitmain info x 3 S7 is 3870W.  These PSU are no where near 93% and even if they can get 90% they're at 100% load.  I think people are saying these are somewhere in the high 80s range efficiency right?  That would make it way over.  I'm running them now and the garage is plenty cold so it's not an issue right now, but concern when spring / summer hits.

You are correct, I calculated at 1210 (oops), Finsky has corrected me below.  But to clear up, the PSU puts out 2000 watts and the efficiency has to do with the draw at the wall and not how many watts are put out on the 12 volt side.

@Finsky, do all of the revisions have the voltage trim pot on the inside or only the older revisions?  I want to order some more packages but do not necessarily need the trim on the breakout board since it is so easy to adjust on the inside.  thanks

HerbPean- Here is a link to some useful information I found in my searches to adjust trim pot for my REV1 DPS-2000BB. (From an RC Car forum) From the reading, REV9M and higher require modification before the trim pots on those PSUs can be modified.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18117345&postcount=611
Activity: 895
Merit: 504
Are you back Finksy? Sent a pm inquiring about the sideplates.
legendary
Any news about the side plate for the Fans support ?
legendary
I will be away as of this Friday for a week, and likely unable to answer posts/PM's.  I won't be able to ship any more orders than what I have lined up by the end of the week.  I will resume taking orders when I return around February 1st.   Thanks,

Finksy
legendary

@Finsky, do all of the revisions have the voltage trim pot on the inside or only the older revisions?  I want to order some more packages but do not necessarily need the trim on the breakout board since it is so easy to adjust on the inside.  thanks

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Are the  DPS-2000BB Breakout Adapter Boards in stock yet ?, I just need one board, the US Seller i buy them form is out of stock with no ETA, i Sent J4bberwock a PM , i hope it's no time, he all most never answers any i Send . and HolyBitcoin.com who i buy from of has no Eta for the boards.

nm  J4bber pmed me one is coming this Monday ty

thu Smiley.
legendary
aka "whocares"

legendary
aka "whocares"
Remember though it's 1293W +10% at the wall, or 1422W at the wall given 93% efficiency, which would correlate to their new 0.29W/G rating atw.  This gives us 1,322W DC draw using their ratings.  With 3x on the 4K setup that is 3,967W before fans, so you are over 100% load unless you under-clock.  

Let us know how they make out with your stress test Nhando, I'd love to see if they have as good of over-load/thermal protection as the 2880W PSU's.

I have adjusted the trim pot to put out 12.5 volts and ran 2 Avalon6 per unit without any issues. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1161
Don`t invest more than you can afford to lose
hello i want to buy this

"The "Triple A Package" - $225
Everything required but fans to power 3x Antminer S7's. EDIT: Newer batches (8+) of S7's draw approx. 1300W DC.  Will be running PSU's @ near 100% load, and will require significant cooling.  Reducing load would be recommended for longevity of PSU's.
 - 1x Standard 4K Breakout Board
 - 2x DPS-2000 PSU's
 - 30x 24" PCIe cables
 - 2x C19-C20 cables
For Voltage adjustment, Voltmeter & Early-Rev PSU's, add $20)
"
legendary
You can also open and modify recent revision to connect internal wire to allow voltage adjustment. No need to buy "rare" ones as modification is quite easy.

That is correct, here is J4bberwock's post on modifying them:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13061344
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
You can also open and modify recent revision to connect internal wire to allow voltage adjustment. No need to buy "rare" ones as modification is quite easy.
Activity: 196
Been running the 3 x S7 at 731M on this 4K bundle at 12.2V for the past 16hrs without any issues although the Ambient temperature outside is 50F and my garage is at 72F, the PSU is still a little warm to the touch.  I don't have any box fans running in the back as the temperature is still cold, this is cool using only the Ultra KAZE fans.  The S7s are running at very cool temperature of 55-62 range.  I'll probably do this test for the next few weeks.  If it can maintain at this load, it would give me more comfort dropping their Freq for the Spring / Summer to reduce the load.  So far everything is hashing away nicely at 4850-4900GH.    

P.S It's winter so I'm not running any extra fans and the work to install additional exhaust and cooling are still underway so don't mind the 22 degrees difference, I purposely am using these as winter heaters right now.
legendary
Remember though it's 1293W +10% at the wall, or 1422W at the wall given 93% efficiency, which would correlate to their new 0.29W/G rating atw.  This gives us 1,322W DC draw using their ratings.  With 3x on the 4K setup that is 3,967W before fans, so you are over 100% load unless you under-clock.  

Let us know how they make out with your stress test Nhando, I'd love to see if they have as good of over-load/thermal protection as the 2880W PSU's.
Pages:
Jump to: