Pages:
Author

Topic: IBM DPS-4KW PSU (Dual DPS-2000BB) Breakout Boards and Packages!!! - page 7. (Read 20178 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
The fans are in the 30-36 Watts range each (60-72Watts total).  I don't know for sure, just assuming based on similar fans I am using as replacement.  My fans are running at 4040/4440  so it's using a little more juice then yours.  It's also connected to a power strip via a long power cord 15 ft which I'm sure doesn't help the efficiency.    Forgot to mention a Raspberry PI controller for the Avalon attached to it too but that's probably very tiny wattage.    Also not sure how accurate Wemo Insight is either.  In any event if we simply just use Bitmain's 1290W at 93% rating and not even bother with the guess work from my Wemo insight.   We can see at lower than 90% efficiency for these IBM PSU, we're rocking the 4KW at 100% load or higher with 3 S7 running at 700M.  I'm actually doing it at 731M for stress test now while the weather is cold to see how hot it will get and whether I do have some head room.   I'm going to standardize my next 20 S7 deployment with this exact configuration so I want to make sure it will work without killing the PSU or overheating them too badly that it won't work in the spring.  
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Not sure Kilo,  when I was testing via the EVGA which connects the S7 to my 120V outlet to my Wemo Insight, it was showing pulling 1540W at the wall.  I would assume the EVGA G2 1300W efficiency rating is similar to the IBM PSU or worst as the 2KW PSU is not Platinum.    So if I use 1540 x 90% which I doubt the IBM PSU is that efficient = 1386W x 3 =4158W.  Seems overloaded to me but I don't have any tools to measure wattage for my 240V line.

Also I think your math above may be off by 1 digit perhaps typo or close key, but 1290W at 93% efficiency from Bitmain info x 3 S7 is 3870W.  These PSU are no where near 93% and even if they can get 90% they're at 100% load.  I think people are saying these are somewhere in the high 80s range efficiency right?  That would make it way over.  I'm running them now and the garage is plenty cold so it's not an issue right now, but concern when spring / summer hits.

That is odd, i ran my S7 B8 on two EVGA gold efficiency and i was getting 1440W, i dont think a 1% efficiency edge could possibly account for the difference. And with P2 PSU, i get 1415 at the wall with fan at 3400RPM.
Not sure Kilo,  when I was testing via the EVGA which connects the S7 to my 120V outlet to my Wemo Insight, it was showing pulling 1540W at the wall.  I would assume the EVGA G2 1300W efficiency rating is similar to the IBM PSU or worst as the 2KW PSU is not Platinum.    So if I use 1540 x 90% which I doubt the IBM PSU is that efficient = 1386W x 3 =4158W.  Seems overloaded to me but I don't have any tools to measure wattage for my 240V line.

Also I think your math above may be off by 1 digit perhaps typo or close key, but 1290W at 93% efficiency from Bitmain info x 3 S7 is 3870W.  These PSU are no where near 93% and even if they can get 90% they're at 100% load.  I think people are saying these are somewhere in the high 80s range efficiency right?  That would make it way over.  I'm running them now and the garage is plenty cold so it's not an issue right now, but concern when spring / summer hits.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
Anyone know if these IBM PSU will automatically shutdown at certain temperature threshold?  Just preparing for the summer especially since power 3 x S7 Batch 8/9 will be maxing these PSU at 100% load.  Want to make sure there's some extra safety built into these PSU like how the Antminer have auto shutdown at 80C

You have headroom to spare, 3 S7's is like 3630 and those PSU's can handle 2000+ each with adequate cooling. 
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
Anyone know if these IBM PSU will automatically shutdown at certain temperature threshold?  Just preparing for the summer especially since power 3 x S7 Batch 8/9 will be maxing these PSU at 100% load.  Want to make sure there's some extra safety built into these PSU like how the Antminer have auto shutdown at 80C

I know the 2880's and the 2980's do.  It may be the 2000 BB's do as well.  However, I've never had the 2000 BB's.  So, I cannot say for certain.
Anyone know if these IBM PSU will automatically shutdown at certain temperature threshold?  Just preparing for the summer especially since power 3 x S7 Batch 8/9 will be maxing these PSU at 100% load.  Want to make sure there's some extra safety built into these PSU like how the Antminer have auto shutdown at 80C
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
Yes, sorry just been super busy with work, not able to spend time on here.  Thanks J4bber for chiming in, I am soon to receive a large order of DPS-2000's, and I'm hoping all/most of them are early revision which case if they are I'll be able to drop the price on them.  Thanks, replying to PM's now (and for the next 2 hours)

STILL no firm ETA on the sideplates, I am at the mercy of a local machinist now.  They are being made out of sheetmetal, and will update as soon as I can with pricing etc.  I am still hoping to match J4bberwock's price on the sideplates.  Also, my 24"PCIe cables as well as C19-C20 cables will be arriving sometime late this week or early next week, then packages can resume sale.
Anyone hear from Finksy at all?  Wonder if he's on vacation or just super busy.
Finksy,

You got PM for more orders. 

P.S Are the FAN mounts ready for selling yet?
legendary

Finksy can you tell us which revision we need to look for ?

thanks

I could be wrong but from what I remember you need S8 or below.  Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, S8 or below if you want to use the external voltage adjust.
DPS2500BB will not work for voltage adjust.

If you don't need voltage adjust, any revision will be fine.

Merci Smiley (Thanks)
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

thanks

I could be wrong but from what I remember you need S8 or below.  Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, S8 or below if you want to use the external voltage adjust.
DPS2500BB will not work for voltage adjust.

If you don't need voltage adjust, any revision will be fine.
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

thanks

I could be wrong but from what I remember you need S8 or below.  Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit see here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13061344
legendary
Very nice! May I ask why the older revision PSUs fetch a slightly higher price?

Finksy can you give us this information please ?

thanks

I believe that those are harder to find and those are the ones that you can modify the voltage.

Any word on the side plates yet?

My bad i quoted the wrong question !

/fixed

At this time I am finding them harder to source with certainty (that they are older revision), whereas the non-voltage-adjustable units can use any of the DPS-2000BB PSU.

thanks

legendary
Very nice! May I ask why the older revision PSUs fetch a slightly higher price?

Finksy can you give us this information please ?

thanks

I believe that those are harder to find and those are the ones that you can modify the voltage.

Any word on the side plates yet?
legendary
At this time I am finding them harder to source with certainty (that they are older revision), whereas the non-voltage-adjustable units can use any of the DPS-2000BB PSU.

thanks
legendary
Can't wait until you get the side plates done.  Is it better to have the fans push air into the PSU or pull air out?  I assume a push/pull setup with 4 fans would be overkill and you would only need one side plate per 4k psu pair.

I have my 2 FANs sitting at the bottom pushing air up and it's sufficient.  2 x Ultra KAZA fans for $35 on Amazon.  No need to waste an extra $35 on more fans.  Pushing air side ways was ok too.  These fans are quiet and can do 3K RPM.  You won't hear them while the S7 is running.    Please see Phillip's post for the detail different layouts and pics.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1284563.new#new

Thanks nhando.  I read his post and saw your pictures.  Just waiting for finsky to get the side plates in stock now.
Can't wait until you get the side plates done.  Is it better to have the fans push air into the PSU or pull air out?  I assume a push/pull setup with 4 fans would be overkill and you would only need one side plate per 4k psu pair.

I have my 2 FANs sitting at the bottom pushing air up and it's sufficient.  2 x Ultra KAZA fans for $35 on Amazon.  No need to waste an extra $35 on more fans.  Pushing air side ways was ok too.  These fans are quiet and can do 3K RPM.  You won't hear them while the S7 is running.    Please see Phillip's post for the detail different layouts and pics.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1284563.new#new

legendary
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
Pages:
Jump to: