Author

Topic: IOTA - page 683. (Read 1473233 times)

Activity: 288
Merit: 250
February 04, 2016, 07:45:16 PM
Dude.

I will hold some long-term,

but relying on me and people like me to make highly sophisticated technical decisions at short notice is not the way forward.

you are the guru and you lead the way. So,

Lead Us

Heh, these were not technical questions, I just asked what features you'd like to see in Iota. Regarding leading, I'm just a hired coder in a company that created Iota.

But you already proved in Nxt leaders are needed. And a big % of IOTA holders like me have no technical knowledge to make this kind of decissions.
When you ask if you should do one or the other, you shouldnt mention it will take a few days extra, because it is not relevant in the decission making process to take the better option.
Would anyone care if now they told them what if Nxt released x.x version 4 days earlier? As with this, long term it would make almost 0 difference.

And because 2 investors are nervous to sell and are here flaming, dont do what they said, because there have been many more who silently said they just want the best option for iota.

Just take the option that should work better for IOTA.
Activity: 840
Merit: 500
February 04, 2016, 07:40:57 PM
Hey, guys and gals. I'd like to get your feedback on the following:

In it's current implementation Iota's ledger is based on inputs and outputs like Bitcoin. There is another way - balances of accounts like in Nxt and Ethereum.

Now I see that if Iota used the latter it would be more efficient because:
1. No need to send the change back to myself which makes the tangle smaller
2. A lot of dust inputs could be spent with a single payment and this would be more secure because every address reuse leaks the private key
3. A new address wouldn't be needed for every incoming payment (this would make acceptance of Iota donations simple, in the current design it's PITA for humans)
4. Off-tangle payments would become simpler
5. RAM requirement for full nodes would be relaxed

The only problem that might arise in balance-based Iota is worse consensus convergence, but after analyzing the issue I don't see what could break.

I'm thinking if it's worth to do a little redesign that could take few days of extra work...

I would rather see a working implementation quicker and we can make decisions on presentation of balances later.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
February 04, 2016, 07:25:52 PM
Dude.

but relying on me and people like me to make highly sophisticated technical decisions at short notice is not the way forward.

Lead Us

Heh, these were not technical questions, I just asked what features you'd like to see in Iota. Regarding leading, I'm just a hired coder in a company that created Iota.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
February 04, 2016, 07:23:00 PM
But all these Q's like:

should I release SC's
or
Should I make it like Ethereum
or whatever

How the fuck should I know?

I don't know how but you should know what you want Iota to be. At least if you are going to hold some long-term.

Dude.

Lead Us
legendary
February 04, 2016, 07:21:04 PM
But all these Q's like:

should I release SC's
or
Should I make it like Ethereum
or whatever

How the fuck should I know?

I don't know how but you should know what you want Iota to be. At least if you are going to hold some long-term.
February 04, 2016, 07:16:59 PM
Please.

Enough of the enigmatic monosyllabic replies

I propose that we launch immediately and push improvements into future forks. Can we rock the genesis or not?

I believe the ICO literature proposed a launch post xmas (2015)? Or am I once more mistaken?

No more delays. You have had plenty of time to prepare and you raised nearly $500,000 so can finish your masterpiece as we go. savvy?

FUCK IT. IM RIGHT.

I thought we couldn't do the release without beta testing but if you and the others insist... I don't mind.

As an IOTA holder, I want it released when it is ready. If the lead developer (?) CFB thinks we need beta testing (as is standard for any software ever in history) then I want it done.

Personally, I think having the mainnet also running as the current beta testing on initial launch if FUCKING ridiculous. Child_harold's personal agenda's are his business. It's unfortunate that IOTA isn't slotting into his plan but that's the reality of software development (delays and missed deadlines).

Yes we need beta testing . But all these Q's like:

Should I release SC's?
or
Should I make it like Ethereum?
or whatever

How the fuck should I know? I rely on CfB to make the executive decision and to certainly have made it by now! Am I crazy??
CfB expresses disappointment about community activity? i haven't even had a chance yet…

this was one year in the making and thes Q's are raised now? this is dubious and I think David will concur.

Lets march on as expected

The crowdsale was made on the premise that genesis would have already been launched.
Bottom-line: there is an obligation here, unless of course I misunderstood the terms.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
February 04, 2016, 07:09:03 PM
Please.

I propose that we launch immediately and push improvements into future forks. Can we rock the genesis or not?

I believe the ICO literature proposed a launch post xmas (2015)? Or am I once more mistaken?

No more delays. You have had plenty of time to prepare and you raised nearly $500,000 so can finish your masterpiece as we go. savvy?

FUCK IT. IM RIGHT.

I thought we couldn't do the release without beta testing but if you and the others insist... I don't mind.

As an IOTA holder, I want it released when it is ready. If the lead developer (?) CFB thinks we need beta testing (as is standard for any software ever in history) then I want it done. If he wants to make a change pre-release that will improve the overall product (and can't be hard forked?) then it should be done without a doubt.

Personally, I think having the mainnet also running as the current beta testing on initial launch if FUCKING ridiculous. Child_harold's personal agenda's are his business. It's unfortunate that IOTA isn't slotting into his plan but that's the reality of software development (delays and missed deadlines).
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1004
February 04, 2016, 07:05:58 PM
Just Do it!

How long about the extra work it will take? Smiley

Several days, but they fit into beta testing period and won't delay the release. The question is about doing that last moment change or not.
If it's good for IOTA long term secure running,I did not see the reason why not do it.
 Smiley
February 04, 2016, 07:05:31 PM
Just Do it!

Several days, but they fit into beta testing period and won't delay the release. The question is about doing that last moment change or not.

how can a last moment change ever be good?

as I said i really thought (and can evidence why) we'd be rocking and rolling by now so to be having these convos at this time leaves me infuriated beyond words (at least english ones)

asking the community to make technical decisions at short notice is fucking idiotic IMO and makes me very worried

I stand by that.

DO some testing and launch ASAP please.
Activity: 588
Merit: 503
Free Julian Assange
February 04, 2016, 07:02:33 PM

My vote is to wait and implement. No matters the times it takes. This is not a race.

Thanks Cfb for your hard work.
legendary
February 04, 2016, 07:02:07 PM
we r already late and CfB has had enuff time - improvements come later

Such kind of improvements can't be added later unless someone just launches Iota 2.
legendary
February 04, 2016, 06:59:22 PM
Just Do it!

February 04, 2016, 06:57:53 PM
I edited my above post.
As far as Im concerned we do genesis now - that was the deal

we r already late and CfB has had enuff time - improvements come later

otherwise Im out
legendary
February 04, 2016, 06:57:30 PM
Please.

FUCK IT. IM RIGHT.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1004
February 04, 2016, 06:55:40 PM

In it's current implementation Iota's ledger is based on inputs and outputs like Bitcoin. There is another way - balances of accounts like in Nxt and Ethereum.

2. A lot of dust inputs could be spent with a single payment and this would be more secure because every address reuse leaks the private key
3. A new address wouldn't be needed for every incoming payment (this would make acceptance of Iota donations simple, in the current design it's PITA for humans)

The only problem that might arise in balance-based Iota is worse consensus convergence, but after analyzing the issue I don't see what could break.

I'm thinking if it's worth to do a little redesign that could take few days of extra work...
Just Do it!

Another,How long about the extra work it will take? Smiley
February 04, 2016, 06:51:01 PM
@CFB

Speaking selfishly as an individual who admittedly hoped to turn some of his IOTA investment into Ethereum (remember "some"), sometime before Ethereum went to $5 a piece, I will speak thusly:

A) Your reputation precedes you

B) You are now introducing an idea that has existed since NXT, and ETH? I dont get this… given A (see above)

C) You have been working on this for the last 12 months and you ask this of your community now?

D)  Am I tripping? Shouldn't we have launched already? No joke.

RESULT: a weird feeling for me, and not good weird

I just wanna get this show on the road…
Can we launch yet?

LETS DO THIS.

Interesting, if there will be people buying during beta testing. Anything can happen during that period, even a rollback.

Please.

FUCK IT. IM RIGHT.
legendary
February 04, 2016, 06:39:59 PM
@CFB

Speaking selfishly as an individual who admittedly hoped to turn some of his IOTA investment into Ethereum (remember "some"), sometime before Ethereum went to $5 a piece, I will speak thusly:

B) You are now introducing an idea that has existed since NXT, and ETH? I dont get this… given A (see above)

C) You have been working on this for the last 12 months and you ask this of your community now?

Can we launch yet?

LETS DO THIS.

Interesting, if there will be people buying during beta testing. Anything can happen during that period, even a rollback.
February 04, 2016, 06:30:29 PM
@CFB

Can we launch yet?

LETS DO THIS.

Activity: 175
Merit: 100
February 04, 2016, 06:04:31 PM

+1

Great Idea! I think redesign worth it. Good thing there is you noticed. I am in favor, also if it takes more than a few days work.
I think it must be not only so as with Bitcoin, it has to be better than in Ethereum, Nxt and other Bitcoin 2.0.
legendary
February 04, 2016, 05:18:58 PM
So are we looking at dropping both txs from your example then?

What do you mean?
Jump to: