Author

Topic: IOTA - page 685. (Read 1473233 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Reality is stranger than fiction
February 04, 2016, 03:11:56 PM
It's a Yes from me!

This coin has a huge potential - it can be for IOT what BTC is now for the pre-iot era - so any improvement is more than welcome.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
February 04, 2016, 02:59:18 PM
48 hrs before genesis and this?
I'm not saying its a bad idea but it is frustrating that this comes up now.
You've been working this for a year... this should have already been done in prep
Im gonna have to say NO, assuming the suggested improvement can come in a fork.

Genesis this weekend as planned imo.

Genesis is ready. What do you mean by "48 hrs"?
Activity: 225
Merit: 100
February 04, 2016, 02:58:49 PM
CFB, why do you ask people to allow you to do better things than they are already?  Grin

To make people be more involved, right now the level of involvement is pretty upsetting.

Genesis IOTA and you will see how this community performs

You shall not be disappointed as child_harold is my witness
legendary
February 04, 2016, 02:57:23 PM
Can you explain the potential problem.  What do you mean by worse consensus convergence, in this case?

If a balance is 100 IOTA and there are two payments - for 70 and 80, then which one to accept as legit? With input/output system ambiguity is impossible.
legendary
February 04, 2016, 02:53:13 PM
CFB, why do you ask people to allow you to do better things than they are already?  Grin

To make people be more involved, right now the level of involvement is pretty upsetting.
Activity: 225
February 04, 2016, 02:49:43 PM
48 hrs before genesis and this?
I'm not saying its a bad idea but it is frustrating that this comes up now.
You've been working this for a year... this should have already been done in prep
Im gonna have to say NO, assuming the suggested improvement can come in a fork.

Genesis this weekend as planned imo.
legendary
Activity: 1225
February 04, 2016, 02:06:30 PM
Hey, guys and gals. I'd like to get your feedback on the following:

In it's current implementation Iota's ledger is based on inputs and outputs like Bitcoin. There is another way - balances of accounts like in Nxt and Ethereum.

Now I see that if Iota used the latter it would be more efficient because:
1. No need to send the change back to myself which makes the tangle smaller
2. A lot of dust inputs could be spent with a single payment and this would be more secure because every address reuse leaks the private key
3. A new address wouldn't be needed for every incoming payment (this would make acceptance of Iota donations simple, in the current design it's PITA for humans)
4. Off-tangle payments would become simpler
5. RAM requirement for full nodes would be relaxed

The only problem that might arise in balance-based Iota is worse consensus convergence, but after analyzing the issue I don't see what could break.

I'm thinking if it's worth to do a little redesign that could take few days of extra work...

Sure sounds good

+1 I always liked the account approach a lot more than input/output
Activity: 131
February 04, 2016, 01:56:00 PM

In it's current implementation Iota's ledger is based on inputs and outputs like Bitcoin. There is another way - balances of accounts like in Nxt and Ethereum.

2. A lot of dust inputs could be spent with a single payment and this would be more secure because every address reuse leaks the private key
3. A new address wouldn't be needed for every incoming payment (this would make acceptance of Iota donations simple, in the current design it's PITA for humans)

The only problem that might arise in balance-based Iota is worse consensus convergence, but after analyzing the issue I don't see what could break.

I'm thinking if it's worth to do a little redesign that could take few days of extra work...

I have no issues with delays at all as long as it is for the betterment if IOTA.
Activity: 481
Merit: 250
February 04, 2016, 01:39:49 PM

Sure sounds good
legendary
Activity: 1619
Merit: 1004
Bitcoiner, Crypto-anarchist and Cypherpunk.
February 04, 2016, 01:30:22 PM

Balances of accounts like in Nxt and Ethereum Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1073
February 04, 2016, 01:28:35 PM
CFB, why do you ask people to allow you to do better things than they are already?  Grin

I suppose CfB is asking because this will make dates shift a little bit...

In general, I believe the benefits of proposed redesign considerably outweigh the impact of few days delay, so its definitely is worth to do (of course if this is really turn out to take  just several days, not weeks) Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1470
February 04, 2016, 01:11:02 PM
Can you explain the potential problem.  What do you mean by worse consensus convergence, in this case?

+1, otherwise sounds okay to me.
rlh
Activity: 804
February 04, 2016, 01:01:34 PM
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1005
February 04, 2016, 01:01:25 PM
legendary
Activity: 1540
February 04, 2016, 12:55:17 PM
No problem for me!!  Grin Grin
legendary
February 04, 2016, 12:52:22 PM

Activity: 304
February 04, 2016, 11:43:52 AM
Take me to the Ryver
News from IOTA's Ryver channel. PM users iotatoken or yassin54 for an invite.

Quote:
IOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTA

msinMon 11:04pm
@David will he Beta include a rough client UI or will it be similar to the current console? Thanks.
Tuesday, February 2nd 2016

David SonsteboTue 1:05am
@msin it'll be a beautiful UI
@msin this is actually the reason for the postponements. We decided to hire a professional team whose expertise is UI to make a beautiful UX. I have given them my vision and their responsibility is to implement it
I feel that UI will be really important due to the 'first impression' factor

IOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTAIOTA
End Quote

Screenshot

Thanks! Please keep us updated here. It's less time consuming to get updates through forums than chat.

Ryver is both though, you can easily pin any chat message as a forum post within Ryver

Ryver is a great platform/tool.

Making sure progress is conveyed here is also great, too.

Thanks again to the devs for such an innovative and powerful project.
legendary
Activity: 1540
February 04, 2016, 03:33:14 AM

last price for KIOTA was 350 NXT for 1000 IOTA, that would evaluate IOTA at a marketcap of 349999999 NXT or 7756 BTC or 2,792,159 USD

can you please give me the asset ID ?

found the post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1262688.680
there is not order sales, all sell!!  Tongue

I advise you this, if you need iota https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13639083

more detail here https://nxtforum.org/asset-exchange-general/(ann)-iota-asset/msg206652/#msg206652
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
February 04, 2016, 12:22:21 AM

last price for KIOTA was 350 NXT for 1000 IOTA, that would evaluate IOTA at a marketcap of 349999999 NXT or 7756 BTC or 2,792,159 USD

found the post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1262688.680
Activity: 173
February 04, 2016, 12:18:14 AM

Jump to: