Pages:
Author

Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency? - page 17. (Read 3628 times)

Activity: 424
Merit: 108
March 05, 2018, 09:04:17 PM
What I Understand is In long term bitcoin be consider as asset because the rate which appreciating is very positive so in near future it will be very big asset for those who holding Bitcoin. There is no doubt Bitcoin is currency (cryptocurrency) the thing is we are started now to use is in our day to day life this usage will sure increase very near future that means it is currency only.
Referring to the recent development of bitcoin, I consider bitcoin as digital asset and as digital currency / cryptocurrency. It depends on how we use bitcoin in our daily life. Today we can buy or invest in bitcoin and then hold it. After price become higher we can sell for profit taking. Here it is an asset. At another time, our bitcoin can be used to buy or pay something electonically / non cash transaction or also can be converted to local currency to buy every things we need. At this time, bitcoin can treated as currency but not as fiat money / fiat currency.
Bitcoin is a digital currency and can be an asset as well because i can confidently say that bitcoin is profitable. I am a bounty hunter here and i am earning bitcoin here by joining signature bounty campaign and i am doing constructive posts in a specific thread that they require and require post that they need to pay me back.
Activity: 384
Merit: 100
March 05, 2018, 08:56:34 PM
What I Understand is In long term bitcoin be consider as asset because the rate which appreciating is very positive so in near future it will be very big asset for those who holding Bitcoin. There is no doubt Bitcoin is currency (cryptocurrency) the thing is we are started now to use is in our day to day life this usage will sure increase very near future that means it is currency only.
Referring to the recent development of bitcoin, I consider bitcoin as digital asset and as digital currency / cryptocurrency. It depends on how we use bitcoin in our daily life. Today we can buy or invest in bitcoin and then hold it. After price become higher we can sell for profit taking. Here it is an asset. At another time, our bitcoin can be used to buy or pay something electonically / non cash transaction or also can be converted to local currency to buy every things we need. At this time, bitcoin can treated as currency but not as fiat money / fiat currency.
Activity: 146
Merit: 10
March 05, 2018, 08:27:18 PM
For me i considered it an asset because they are untethered from the regular economy, where fiat currencies more traditional form of exchange and value transfer. These asset began in 2009 and the year trading around $10,000 is certainly impressive.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
March 05, 2018, 04:39:04 PM
Bitcoin is a worldwide payment system, using peer-to-peer network.

It can be used to buy merchandise anonymously. Also international payments can be made easily and cheap because BTC are not restricted to any country.
Hence we could call it a currency not an asset.
So to answer the question, bitcoin represented both.  Bitcoin is a currency because it is indeed a currency.  It is a digital currency which was created for online use.  An asset because having bitcoin right now can give you a good future.  As its value continue to goes up.
َ
Yes that is right, bitcoin is both currency as well as assets, In fact bitcoin is created as online currency, and now it is not only use only for online purpose but also in some places people are using bitcoin in their local shops, in future i think that bitcoin will really  replace the fiat currency and we all the people will be dealing everything in bitcoin.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
March 05, 2018, 03:19:34 PM
Absolutely if it is treated as common currency it would have been empowered even earlier but that's not gonna happen anyways
Activity: 994
Merit: 544
March 05, 2018, 10:30:50 AM

It can be used to buy merchandise anonymously. Also international payments can be made easily and cheap because BTC are not restricted to any country.
So to answer the question, bitcoin represented both.  Bitcoin is a currency because it is indeed a currency.  It is a digital currency which was created for online use.  An asset because having bitcoin right now can give you a good future.  As its value continue to goes up.
Activity: 158
March 05, 2018, 10:27:39 AM

Activity: 400
Merit: 59
March 05, 2018, 10:04:42 AM
This topic exist for a quite long time up to now but isn't both an asset and a cryptocurrency and fall on different category. The question realy makes sense but its not a big deal since we use bitcoin efficiently.
Activity: 83
Merit: 1
March 05, 2018, 09:36:13 AM
Bitcoin is mainly used as an alternative currency .It can also be used as an asset and will serve different purpose.Currency be characterized as a medium of exchange a unit of account and a store of value , an asset does generally not possess the first two features and can be clearly distinguished from a currency. Bitcoin mainly used as currency to pay for goods and services it will compare to fiat currency such as dollar it will mainly be used as an investment and will compete with asset .Whether it is currency or an asset ,the potential to influence the economy as a whole depends on the success of Bitcoin, similar alternatives compared existing currencies and financial assets.
Activity: 138
Merit: 15
March 04, 2018, 07:04:48 PM
Bitcoin is both a currency and an asset because the classification of bitcoin falls on both categories a bitcoin is a currency because it is use as a mode of payment for something acquired also bitcoin is an asset because cash or fiat is an ownership called asset as holding bitcoin as an investment will even classified it as an long term investment or asset.

You're right, bitcoin is in both categories. An asset is anything that an invidual can use and that has value and probably bitcoin falls in its definition so I think it can be considered as an asset. While currency is a form of money that can be used in transactions by many and bitcoin also falls in this category. So I guess we dont have an argument whether bitcoin is a form of currency or even an asset. As long as we have bitcoin. And it also depends on how you would treat bitcoin by yourself.
Activity: 658
Merit: 102
March 03, 2018, 12:45:26 AM
This debate of whether bitcoin is a currency or asset still continue. While many people use it as a currency, some well known business personalities consider bitcoin as a commodity or asset.
I think the bitcoin has the ability to function as both money and an asset. Like gold, the value of bitcoin will continue to climb as it become more of scarce commodity that people want to own. Bitcoin might behave as an asset, until reach a total market saturation.
Activity: 770
Merit: 102
March 03, 2018, 12:17:50 AM
There are several different answers or comments to this question. As for me, I want to say that it is more suitable to consider bitcoin as digital asset.This asset has great economic value and can be traded or invested for future higher value or price.In it' s operation, it can be used as an alternative payment method to replace cash especially for non cash transactions or electronic transactions.Because of this condition, some people consider it as currency, that is as cryptocurrency.
Activity: 420
Merit: 11
DISRUPTING THE $23.5 B SCIENCE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY
March 02, 2018, 11:50:50 PM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

for me, bitcoin is both because I make it as a currency to buy something with bitcoin and I also use it as my future asset in investment
Activity: 598
March 02, 2018, 11:18:58 PM
The bitcoin plays both role in the society, they can be an asset to obtain the bright future that you are dreaming for and currency that can be used in all kinds or means of commercial transactions or trade.
Bitcoin can be an asset and it can be currency.Bitcoin is an asset in order to trade to get profit from it to fullfill our dreams in the future.Bitcoin is also a currency we used it for a mode of payment in any transaction or trade.
Activity: 350
March 02, 2018, 03:27:25 PM
The bitcoin plays both role in the society, they can be an asset to obtain the bright future that you are dreaming for and currency that can be used in all kinds or means of commercial transactions or trade.
Activity: 45
March 01, 2018, 11:03:32 AM
Its better as asset as it is harder to pull out android set and enter wallet id to transfer least 10 cents than to directly hand it over the counter
Activity: 434
March 01, 2018, 10:39:18 AM
Bitcoin is an asset and currency at the same time. Bitcoin is a kind of asset that is intangible because no one can feel or touch but it exists.
When we talk if bitcoin is a currency, Yes. Bitcoin is also a kind of currency which we called a cryptocurrency.
Activity: 896
Merit: 267
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
February 28, 2018, 01:08:43 PM
I think that is a currency since you can use that for payments for various services. For traders I believe even USD or EURO is believed to be asset.
Indeed. It depend to you if you want to use as currency where you can use it for payment in some services or product. However, there are some people prefer to use it as an asset or investment and we all know that it is good investment where will help you to multiply you money.
Activity: 384
February 28, 2018, 12:46:52 PM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

I think that's both. Sometimes it can become a currency and sometimes become an asset. I also do not understand why some people say this is different. Maybe I do not understand what bitcoin is. So I tried to find the best answer in this thread.
Activity: 630
February 28, 2018, 12:45:14 PM
ita an crypto currency , people use it like asset.
point is people came in hare without research, that why people think its a asset.
Pages:
Jump to: