Pages:
Author

Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency? - page 13. (Read 3626 times)

Activity: 966
Merit: 500
March 17, 2018, 06:10:00 PM
The answer to this question really depends on your usage of the coin. Do you buy bitcoins because you want to use it to purchase things and pay for services or do you buy bitcoin because you want to hold and sell at a higher price? If your intentions is to use it for buying and payment then it becomes a currency. If you use it as an investment in order to make profits, then it becomes an asset.
Activity: 156
Merit: 0
March 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
I think it depends on which country you are in because every country has different rules about bitcoin, there are some countries that accept bitcoin as a means of payment transactions and of course it serves as a currency even if it isn't legal.
But we know if majority of countries consider bitcoin as a business asset instead of a currency.
Activity: 105
March 13, 2018, 01:57:10 PM
I think it should be a asset
Because payment with BTC is very slow
Activity: 596
Merit: 10
March 13, 2018, 01:51:36 PM
For me, bitcoin is only an investment, as it gives me the opportunity to earn. As the currency I spend can not, and do not want.
Activity: 798
Merit: 253
March 13, 2018, 01:18:52 PM
I think is both, Currency because it is a kind of crypto currency that convertable into different currencies like pesos or dollars, so it become asset because you  earn and own it.
I believe in this too. Bitcoins are not only asset but a currency. And if we think over it, by researching, we come to know that developing team developed bitcoins as a currency that can be used like other currencies. But later on, people found best trading and investing methods and they started getting amounts by selling and buying hence bitcoins got shaped of an asset. But I believe it is combo.
Activity: 32
March 13, 2018, 12:48:38 PM
As of my opinion, Bitcoin is an asset as well as an currency. Because currency has no long-term expected return because, although it is a risk exposure, it is not an economic asset for which a long-term risk premium exists. Investors do not invest in currencies to capture a risk premium; instead, they invest in international assets denominated in a foreign currency.
THANK YOU!!
Activity: 563
Merit: 102
March 13, 2018, 12:45:16 PM
As far as I know, bitcoin is now considered as an asset and a payment method in some country. It's a very long way for bitcoin to be a currency.

For me, I consider it as both. for long term investment of bitcoin it will be an asset. and for daily trading of your bitcoin and using it bitcoin in buying online items that accept bitcoins , I consider it as currency . so for me both, It depends actually on how you use bitcoin in your life.
Activity: 25
March 13, 2018, 12:34:13 PM
Btc is a currency but the way it is growing, it is becoming asset for some people.
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
March 13, 2018, 12:27:50 PM
Bitcoin is surely an asset for me. Being stored and sold is definitely an asset and not being used to buy anything like a currency. There may be some countries that are already accepting bitcoin, but I never had any transaction like this yet. So asset for now.
Activity: 339
Merit: 250
March 13, 2018, 12:24:36 PM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

It depends on each individual assume bitcoin like what. Indeed bitcoin is sometimes like an asset because we hold it for long and unspecified time. Sometimes also bitcoin is treated like a currency. Back again to the thoughts of each individual. It's confusing but we all need to know that bitcoin is always in use like a currency. That's just my thinking. How bitcoin we use like an asset or currency. So no need to debate.
Activity: 154
March 13, 2018, 12:15:22 PM
Bitcoin is unique, we already know that bitcoin is not just any asset it is also  a currency. Just be thankful that we have a bitcoin and appreciate the bitcoin community what they have done to us.
Activity: 378
ADAB ADAB ADAB ADAB
March 13, 2018, 11:27:51 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

In my own opinion, bitcoins is an asset because it is not a cash or a physical item and it is not usable for every transactions but maybe in the future, if they are planning to live a cashless country then they can use bitcoins as the currency for everyone to use.
Activity: 504
Merit: 103
March 13, 2018, 11:26:06 AM
Clearly for me bitcoin is an asset. For now I never had any idea on where to spend bitcoin directly without converting it to fiat money so being a currency is out of the question. Maybe in other countries it could be a currency, but definitely not in our country for the moment.
Activity: 266
March 13, 2018, 05:47:40 AM
I think that bitcoin is an asset rather than a currency because if you compare it with the currency that is always stable on a daily basis, the asset always does not stand still.
Activity: 181
Industry 4.0 is called Bitcoin
March 13, 2018, 05:38:55 AM
Bitcoin is like a currency, it is more practiced as FIAT, but it continues accepted in the crypto community. More and more countries have shopping malls that accept Bitcoin as a form of payment instead of FIAT so that we can treat it as a currency.
I'm not an anarchist or even much of a libertarian. I do find the idea of a truly global cash-like, low-fee, border-permeable exchange medium decoupled from government policy and corporate oversight to be pretty appealing, although I see it as a complement rather than a replacement for government fiat currency.

Whether Bitcoin is just the first draft of that exchange medium or it's the longterm answer, I have no idea. My suspicion is the former outcome, but I'm happy to have thrown a bit of disposable income into a speculative bet on the latter. While I think the odds are somewhat good that my investment's future value is 0, the potential nonzero value makes it an attractive commodity to buy into in a small way.

Because of that upside potential, I think everybody who has the means should hold at least one, and if you're in as an investor, it makes sense to buy more as needed for use in the burgeoning Bitcoin economy.
Activity: 672
March 13, 2018, 05:26:18 AM
Bitcoin is like a currency, it is more practiced as FIAT, but it continues accepted in the crypto community. More and more countries have shopping malls that accept Bitcoin as a form of payment instead of FIAT so that we can treat it as a currency.
Activity: 97
Merit: 2
March 13, 2018, 05:23:33 AM
I think it's a bit of both, hence the reason regulators are struggling so much I think. It displays characteristics of both in my opinion 

Activity: 134
March 13, 2018, 05:20:34 AM
Bitcoin can not be a commodity, because it does not solve a human problem, Bitcoin is not an asset because it does not generate cash flow in the future. I think that Bitcoin has generated cash flow because it can lend Bitcoin and collect interest, making a profit, this process takes place, turning Bitcoin into a loan and this loan is considered is the property. From the above arguments, I think that electronic currencies have more traits closer to the currency than the kinds of assets or commodities.
Activity: 266
March 13, 2018, 05:18:03 AM
I think this is more active, but you can also calculate the currency to some extent because it is a digital currency that you can pay for it and have the same profit as an asset.
Activity: 365
March 13, 2018, 05:03:48 AM
Call bitcoin whatever name it remain an asset. This is because it is used for trading and a lot of people are making good amount of money by holding. More and more people will keep investing in bitcoin to make lifes. Any investment is an asset.

Pages:
Jump to: