Pages:
Author

Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency? - page 20. (Read 3628 times)

Activity: 575
Merit: 250
February 24, 2018, 08:28:06 PM
In my opinion a bitcoin is a currency. You can trade bitcoin instead of cash. Bitcoin is not your property as it can disappear instantly. You see bitcoin as a buy and sell item. You never store it. bitcoin.
Activity: 192
Merit: 11
February 24, 2018, 07:51:11 PM
The traditional definition of money is "general equivalent". In other words, people agree that this thing can be used as a measure of the price of other goods, and that's the currency.

Bitcoin has now been able to trade most of the French currency on the Internet, and I think that's already a currency.
Activity: 392
Merit: 10
February 24, 2018, 07:48:34 PM
Strictly speaking, although the designer wants to make it a currency

the current credibility and liquidity are clearly not in the usual "currency" standard.
Activity: 392
February 24, 2018, 07:46:50 PM
I think BTC is an asset, not a currency or a commodity!

Bitcoin is certainly not the currency of financial regulation. Because these laws assume that the currency is issued by the state, it can control the exchange of money and can be regulated. Bitcoin certainly doesn't have these features. When these laws are enforced, bitcoin is not a currency.
Activity: 336
February 24, 2018, 06:46:48 PM
For me can bitcoin become an asset because some people almost get there money from bitcoins. From bitcointalk forum. In my own experience bitcoin is my asset right now. Because this is the only way that i can get free money and profit.
Activity: 196
Merit: 0
February 24, 2018, 06:15:38 PM
Bitcoin is a valueable used for transaction all over, for our usage, a "cryptocurrency" means the native currency of a Blockchain which is open and publicly accessible and derives its value from its status as a new type of money that anyone in the world can receive, send, and earn through participation in the blockchain. Bitcoin and Ether are examples. Permissioned blockchains, don't enable cryptocurrencies under this definition. An "asset" is a token which is issued onto a blockchain, and generally represents something which does not derive its value directly from the chain. We can but have a good reason for calling bitcon an **ASSET**
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
February 24, 2018, 05:58:59 PM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
Damodaran wrote in a blog post that "bitcoin is not an asset, but a currency, and as such, you cannot value it or invest in it. You can only price it and trade it." We have different opinions when it comes in crypto currency, but for those people who doesn't have enough and still deals with crypto world just to earn money bitcoin, I and others considered it as a currency because earning and turning it into cash to help us a lot to support our daily needs.
Activity: 33
February 24, 2018, 04:50:23 PM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

I think its both, but many people think its only an asset
Activity: 280
February 24, 2018, 07:14:14 AM
if called bitcoin it is currency.

An example of a decentralized cryptographic currency is Bitcoin. The value of a decentralized cryptographic currency can be transferred from one party to another directly, with a system of recording and verifying through several decentralized bookkeeping points.

About Cryptocurrency
Cryptocurrency or cryptographic currency (sometimes called virtual currency) is a digital-shaped asset designed as an intermediary exchange using cryptographic techniques to secure transactions and control the administration of its currency units.

So BITCOIN is the currency. and we invest in Cryptocurrency and that is our new ASSET name in cryptocurrency because not only bitcoin there are many other coins like ETHEREUM, RIPPLE, STEELAR etc .. well it's just called our ASSET.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 503
Someone is sitting in the shade today...
February 24, 2018, 07:07:42 AM
Bitcoin is a publicly available ledger with a cryptographic numbers help to used as a currency without having backed by central banks. 
Activity: 310
Merit: 103
Rookie Website developer
February 24, 2018, 06:56:22 AM
Its both an asset and a currency a pleasure seeking for these kind of asset though, aside from the advantages of bitcoin, its really a cue and a bright side for everyone.
Activity: 266
February 24, 2018, 05:45:40 AM
As a newbie I read a lot about Bitcoin, doing some reasearch and study.

Based on what I read I understand that Bitcoin is a digital asset that designed by its inventor to work as a currency, commonly referred to cryptocurrency.

Bitcoin is an asset, has a value. This is why mostly people are investing in Bitcoin.
Activity: 308
Merit: 3
The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem
February 24, 2018, 05:44:14 AM
I think bitcoin is a kind of asset. The things you hold can be converted into cash, which is the property. Talking bitcoin is not the correct cash, because bitcoin has not been accepted yet. Some people do not know bitcoin. Can not say bitcoin is money. They have not been circulated and some countries have not accepted bitcoin yet.
Activity: 192
February 24, 2018, 05:17:25 AM
I have not been too familiar with this, because I just started joining this. I think bitcoin is like an asset even the best asset today because so many people are investing in bitcoin. Smiley
if my currency does not know bitcoin is currency or not?
Activity: 322
Merit: 110
elysian.finance
February 24, 2018, 05:07:04 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

Bitcoin is a digital currency that can be used to trade and then get some profit. It can be an asset if btc will become your investment for a long term.  Because btc has its value then i consider it as an asset.
Activity: 4
February 24, 2018, 04:58:35 AM
It could still be seen as a currency, although it has become more of an asset due to its value and growth. Similar to gold I suppose, was once used and still could be seen as a currency, but considered an asset and safe-haven.
Activity: 2744
Merit: 541
Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man
February 24, 2018, 03:45:08 AM

i dont care what other people think or treat about bitcoin,but for me this is an asset and currency in one..asset because in time this can bring lots of earning most specially when the price pumps,and currency because anytime i can pay my bills using this and some online transactio
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
February 24, 2018, 03:43:10 AM
Until now, disputes about what is actually a crypto-currency - a financial instrument, a commodity, a payment instrument or something else, that does not fit into the existing classification of assets and require a new definition for the world of modern finance, have not been abated yet. This age-old question about the nature of bitcoin has become a cornerstone for regulators and legislators of many countries.
Activity: 406
Merit: 13
February 24, 2018, 03:33:13 AM
It is more on an asset compare to a currency because of its unstable value. Once you have a bitcoin you can consider that as one of your investment because in the future that might be one of the key for you being rich. Unlike being a currency requires stability of the value it may change also but just a bit because for the case of bitcoin it is really unpredictable.
Activity: 910
Merit: 501
February 24, 2018, 03:29:41 AM
That is a question of definition.
A currency is usually a medium of exchange. When you look at bitcoin it can be used as payment, but with the high transaction fees it had, most people did not use it as that.
An asset is something you put money in in order to get more money for it later.
Bitcoin qualifies for both, being a currency and being an asset.
In reality I would say that bitcoin has become an asset.
The high volatility makes it perfect to get more money out of it at a later point. And most people do net sell something like that, so they do not use it as a medium of exchange either.

Pages:
Jump to: