Pages:
Author

Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency? - page 5. (Read 3626 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 10
April 13, 2018, 03:42:28 AM
I think its both. Grin Because Bitcoin can be a currency or also an asset especially when investing to bitcoin, so bitcoin has many function that depends on the people who are using it.
Activity: 224
Merit: 1
“Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data”
April 13, 2018, 03:38:10 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

the aim is to make bitcoin a currency, but the truth is that it's not being used a currency right now. It's being used as an asset for investment purposes mostly....
Activity: 100
Merit: 0
April 13, 2018, 01:29:44 AM
I think Bitcoin is a currency and an asset. We can use Bitcoin to buy some everyday items. We can use Bitcoin to buy a car to buy a house. Bitcoin is also a good investment asset. Bitcoin rose by 700% in 2017. Bitcoin is a perfect currency and asset.
Activity: 252
Merit: 102
April 13, 2018, 01:26:54 AM
Bitcoin is an asset not a currency. Because currency need approval of government and there should be the base of valuation of currency which Bitcoin does not have. In future Bitcoin may be currency.
Activity: 110
April 13, 2018, 01:18:49 AM
As far as I know, bitcoin is now considered as an asset and a payment method in some country. It's a very long way for bitcoin to be a currency.

It will depend on us on how we treat bitcoin.  If we use bitcoin to earn money or gain profit we treat as an asset. We use bitcoin for payment transaction we think it is a currency. So we heard lots of opinion yet our own decision is more. important .
Activity: 794
Merit: 272
April 13, 2018, 01:08:31 AM
It doesn't matter what people treat Bitcoin as, what academics think, and what needs to happen to be treated in a certain way.
This is the whitepaper:
Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System
https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

There's nothing else that needs to be said. This is irrefutable evidence that Bitcoin is a currency.
We don't need NYU's 'dean of valuation' to say that it is, we already know.
Interesting logic of your reasoning. Bitcoin is an electronic money system of the peer-to-peer network. There is no doubt about this. However, this conclusion does not come up at all from the conclusion that bitcoin is a currency. The fact is that not every money is a currency. Currency is money that is used by states for international financial settlements. Bitcoin is not yet a currency. In principle, we now do not really care who thinks bitcoin. While it is very important for us that bitcoin was recognized in most states as a legitimate means of payment.

Well there is a HUGE difference between money and a currency. Money actually holds intrinsic value and thus only gold and to a lesser degree silver is really money. But Bitcoin, if it is a currency, is one of the worst around due to their being huge shifts on the demand curve also followed by inevitable shifts on the supply curve due to block halvings. This gives us hyper-deflation which is just as damaging to an economy as hyper-inflation. It is basically a knee jerk reaction in the opposite direction. I love the other things crypto is good it is not really good or reliable in maintaining any sort of value due to no price mechanisms being in place. The halving schedule is far far too rigid in nature.
Activity: 224
April 13, 2018, 12:59:41 AM
Bitcoin for me is just aiming to make money. I do not think it's going to be a common currency. They will not allow it.
It can not be a precious metal like gold, diamond, silver.
I think human-made products can not hold much in the market.
Activity: 84
April 13, 2018, 12:54:57 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
CEO of Bitcoin: Bitcoin is a Digital Asset, Not a Currency.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 108
April 13, 2018, 12:49:03 AM

If you consider bitcoin as a currency or an asset, bitcoin is most suitable for determining the currency. Bitcoin is an electronic monetary system of a peer-to-peer network. On the other hand, dictionaries tell us that a currency is any monetary unit of any state that is used as a means of payment. Bitcoin and other crypto currency are now used by many as a means of payment. Therefore, it must be considered a currency.
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
April 13, 2018, 12:46:37 AM
Intriguing rationale of your thinking. Bitcoin is an electronic cash arrangement of the shared system. There is no uncertainty about this. In any case, this conclusion does not come up at all from the determination that bitcoin is a money. The truth of the matter is that only one out of every odd cash is a money. Cash is cash that is utilized by states for worldwide budgetary settlements. Bitcoin isn't yet a cash. On a fundamental level, we now don't generally mind who thinks bitcoin. While it is imperative for us that bitcoin was perceived in many states as a real methods for installment.
Activity: 2296
Merit: 225
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
April 13, 2018, 12:33:34 AM
It doesn't matter what people treat Bitcoin as, what academics think, and what needs to happen to be treated in a certain way.
This is the whitepaper:
Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System
https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

There's nothing else that needs to be said. This is irrefutable evidence that Bitcoin is a currency.
We don't need NYU's 'dean of valuation' to say that it is, we already know.
Interesting logic of your reasoning. Bitcoin is an electronic money system of the peer-to-peer network. There is no doubt about this. However, this conclusion does not come up at all from the conclusion that bitcoin is a currency. The fact is that not every money is a currency. Currency is money that is used by states for international financial settlements. Bitcoin is not yet a currency. In principle, we now do not really care who thinks bitcoin. While it is very important for us that bitcoin was recognized in most states as a legitimate means of payment.
Activity: 209
Merit: 1
April 12, 2018, 04:38:18 PM
bitcoin is a digital currency that is pefectly working online, which we called online money investment, where people saved it as an asset, because it appreciate in values, and the other way round bitcoin is money, because at the end point it need to be converted to cash for our daily need.
Activity: 112
April 12, 2018, 03:54:44 PM
bitcoin is both an asset and currency. if you have it in your wallet, it is an asset because of the value. it becomes a currency when you use online to buy stuffs or when you sell it and you get a generally accepted currency which can be used to acquire an asset or for payment
Activity: 112
April 12, 2018, 12:38:02 PM
I see Bitcoin as a kind of asset. Since I work and accumulate Bitcoin, then sell to people in need to increase income. Whether Bitcoin is a trading currency or an asset depends on each person's views and usage of Bitcoin. But in my country, trading in Bitcoin is illegal. So, I see Bitcoin as a cumulative asset. My law does not prohibit this.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
April 11, 2018, 09:11:43 PM
In my opinoin. Bitcoin was intended to be a currency, but right now, it is in fact being treated as an asset way more than a currency. Sure there are people out there who are actually buying stuff using bitcoins, but mostly, people are just investing in it so they can trade or hold until it increases in price. It's not a bad thing, and it can't be helped either since this is the trend that bitcoin grew upon.

I agree! Way back in the time that bitcoin have been created, it was really intended to be a medium of exchange. I remember how much bitcoin was used to purchase a slice of pizza. And now, its value drove up so high that turn as an asset to invest in. Greatly, bitcoin advanced and moved forward as the technology did so.
Doen't matter whether it is an asset or a currency, everyone is really earning from it.
Activity: 840
Merit: 10
April 11, 2018, 08:57:35 PM

To make bitcoin became currency its take a lot efforts because many government and central banks do not want to regulate cryptocurrency. Cryptocurrency will disrupting bank bussiness and thats why banks lobby will talk to government to not regulate and ban crypto as payment
Activity: 2
April 11, 2018, 08:55:01 PM

https://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

either way your are right sir.. but the reality is we can take it as an asset if were going to buy them at low and sell them on high.. and the perspective that it can rise again or sooner or later its value is much higher compare to the time you bought it.. and we take it as an investment or an asset.. but In the 2nd scenario if you convert your bucks into btc in order for you to pay your stuff or your bills then it would be treated like currency.. that's why I said in my intro either way you are right.. thank you so much..
Activity: 104
April 11, 2018, 08:49:57 PM
For me, Bitcoin in general was conceived primarily as a payment system, although this function has already not been fully implemented because of its slow transactions. So bitcoin is closer to currency by nature. However, under the classical concept of currency, the whole of the crypto currency is not at all, because when this concept was drafted, nobody could assume the existence of digital money.
Activity: 98
April 11, 2018, 08:49:20 PM
I think that Bitcoin is an asset, a digital asset. the statistical properties of bitcoin, find that it is essentially uncorrelated with traditional asset classes such as stocks, bonds and commodities, both in normal times and in periods of financial turmoil. The analysis of transaction data of bitcoin accounts shows that bitcoins are mainly used as a speculative investment and not as an alternative currency and medium of exchange.
Activity: 133
April 11, 2018, 08:48:43 PM
Bitcoin is both asset and currency but it is true that bitcoin is still not a legal currency in any part of the world. Also In some of the countries where bitcoin have got legal status as only asset and not as currency.
Pages:
Jump to: