Pages:
Author

Topic: is butterfly labs mining with those ASICs at the moment? - page 9. (Read 37510 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
I didn't realize that Inaba had 400-500GH/s. This triggers one question: with that much hashing power what kind of work does Inaba do?

I mean... last time I checked this kind of power should net him around $60k/month. Wouldn't it make sense to make mining a full time job? I'm not sure what is the deal between BFL and Inaba in his employee contract, but it better be worth it to Inaba.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I'm curious, what's "interesting" about it, exactly?  My hashrate hops off, the pool drops by the same amount and that's interesting?

It's clear you are proud of it  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I'm not skirting the question, I simply do not have an answer at this time.  I have *never* had a definitive answer to that, since it's not really high on the priority list of things going on around here.  We're more concerned with actually getting a finished product prepped and shipped at this point. 
Alright, thanks for the response.

....as his sig says he's mining at 480 GH/s lol.  Let me just tell everyone, if I invented a device that mines really fast, fuck y'all, I'm mining with it.  So anything short of that is quite a bit better lol.  I mean have like a room full at least.  What company doesn't use their own product?  Ford, McDonalds, Dyson, everyone!  Even investment bankers invest in their own funds.  If it works, use it.

And once again, if BFL wants to make $XXX amount of money period, then they either make 100% from your purchases of hardware or they go like 90% hardware 10% small mining operation.  Plus, if they're paying big bucks to have a Taiwanese develop custom chips to make BTC mining quicker, cheaper, easier, and better for the environment, not funding it with bitcoin mining almost seems stupid.  So like I said, if they don't buy themselves 1 rig for every rig they sell, I'm fine with most other things than that, lol.
I agree - I don't really care if BFL mines with them on main net, I just want them to be open and admit it if they are.
legendary
Activity: 952
I'm curious, what's "interesting" about it, exactly?  My hashrate hops off, the pool drops by the same amount and that's interesting?
I fully believe you when you say you are not testing ASICs. I just I just never realized you have > 500GH/s. Out of curiosity, why does it come and go?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

I'm guessing that he's implying you're testing ASICs and that's causing the large swings.

Inaba, can you link to the presentation you gave it the Bitcoin conference? Some forum members have described a demonstration of a working SC prototype, but no one here seems to have any information on it.
Similarly, could you describe where you are in your production process? Specifically, have you actually received prototype silicon and have tested it functionally to ensure that a respin isn't needed?
legendary
Activity: 1260
legendary
....as his sig says he's mining at 480 GH/s

That's the entirety of the pool he operates.

Or is it?
No. EMC is ~ 2TH/s, IIRC.

Edit: When I checked earlier, they were reporting 1.9TH/s on their website. His sig has dropped to 5GH/s, and their pool has dropped to 1.5TH/s. These are all estimates, and can quite easily be way off, but it's interesting nonetheless.
donator
Activity: 994
...chips to make BTC mining quicker, cheaper, easier, and better for the environment, mining more difficult not funding it with bitcoin mining almost seems...

FTFY
legendary
....as his sig says he's mining at 480 GH/s lol.
Activity: 392
....as his sig says he's mining at 480 GH/s lol.  Let me just tell everyone, if I invented a device that mines really fast, fuck y'all, I'm mining with it.  So anything short of that is quite a bit better lol.  I mean have like a room full at least.  What company doesn't use their own product?  Ford, McDonalds, Dyson, everyone!  Even investment bankers invest in their own funds.  If it works, use it.

And once again, if BFL wants to make $XXX amount of money period, then they either make 100% from your purchases of hardware or they go like 90% hardware 10% small mining operation.  Plus, if they're paying big bucks to have a Taiwanese develop custom chips to make BTC mining quicker, cheaper, easier, and better for the environment, not funding it with bitcoin mining almost seems stupid.  So like I said, if they don't buy themselves 1 rig for every rig they sell, I'm fine with most other things than that, lol.
legendary
I'm not skirting the question, I simply do not have an answer at this time.  I have *never* had a definitive answer to that, since it's not really high on the priority list of things going on around here.  We're more concerned with actually getting a finished product prepped and shipped at this point. 

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
1. You disagree with our non-existent policy to mine on main net with the ASICs we are not currently mining on main net with.
Josh, why do you keep skirting this question?  You know you WILL mine on the main net with the ASICs (if you weren't, you would have denied it by now).  We all know it too, which is why it is being brought up.  No one thinks you are mining on main net now with ASICs, but that's not the question that is presented.  We just want to hear you say it.

Will you be testing the ASIC miners for 24 hours each on main net?
Activity: 392
Just keep in mind, BFL, this isn't a normal business.  In the bitcoin world, especially this forum, there's 2 types of people:

1. paranoid
2. careless and stupid for not being paranoid

People could think the cards aren't coming and you're a made up Russian syndicate government communist scam sting operation if they so much as don't like your grammatical structure Tongue But blindly trusting ANYONE with btc operations is incredibly stupid regardless of the circumstances.  I could go find that guy on the forums with 6000+ posts, hero status, now marked as as scammer.  Reputation doesn't mean a whole lot to me.  So just put up with the haters and flamers until the units ship, then they can probably simmer down and relax.  Until then, be prepared to be suspected of everything and anything Tongue

But the legal history and secrecy isn't helping though, lol.

P.S. who the hell deleted my hilarious roll post with the cute little lab puppies?  Fuck it, I'm reposting lol.

Welcome to...BUTTERFLY LABS!

Activity: 535
Merit: 500
Okay, I understand now.

Thankfully I get paid more sitting in my armchair than you do pouring gas on shit storms.

That's what happens when you start and run a successful business on your own for nearly ten years.

legendary
All sorts of people love to give armchair advice to the people doing actual work.  It's easy to make pronouncements on how to do something when you don't actually have to do it... unfortunately 99.9% of the time, those pronouncements are miserable failures; I suspect deep down they know they would fail if they tried the "suggestions" in the real world.  

You see it in sports all the time.  The fat dude on the couch yelling at the TV about what a player should have done.  Really?  If it's so easy, why aren't you out there doing it?  

Same goes for business advice - if you know exactly how to do things, why aren't you a rich and successful business person, instead of some dude sitting behind a computer screen trying to convince people you know exactly how things should be done?  
You know what was meant by customer service, it is the totality of the service. Not simply an email request or phone call, but ALL avenues of customer interaction, including this forum.

I care because I actually give a shet about bitcoin as part of a social movement.

I know most here subscribe to the kill or be killed philosophy, I don't.

Yes I have run a business for almost ten years. I have a degree in political science and I am half way through an MBA program.
legendary
Your takes on business and customer service are laughable. You have clearly never run your own business nor do you have the proper training/demeanor to run one.
You can cancel/refund my order, I've never had one because I don't loan people my money for free to develop their product lines.

A) If you need customer service, shoot them an email. Their email support is very helpful, and can be done in privacy. Arguing on forums is hardly a way to work out any issues you have.

B) Wait, you've never ordered anything from BFL? Then why do you care?!
Many here have provided excellent advice about good PR and customer service.

Josh/Inaba in the past you have done some good things for bitcoin. You have run a great pool, written guides, etc. but you are currently failing as a spokesman for a company which is in need of someone to improve its image.

Your takes on business and customer service are laughable. You have clearly never run your own business nor do you have the proper training/demeanor to run one.

I don't mean have a single employee(yourself) as running your own business.

"Pain in the ass" customers tell far more people about you and your company then completely satisfied customers.

PR is about tact and consistency. You lack both.

I'm sure you don't appreciate my criticism, but if you want to succeed in your current position I would suggest you take a deep think and rework your personal strategy on this.

Also, kill your dual persona, it means nothing to people anymore. You ARE JoshBFL, period.

You can cancel/refund my order, I've never had one because I don't loan people my money for free to develop their product lines.
donator
Activity: 994
Huh, I never considered the fact that even if everyone canceled, we would still have the hashing power, but you're right.  That thought does not sit well with me though, I definitely do not want BFL or any single entity to have that much hashing power under one roof, jeez.  That would be a nightmare.

One problem of being a big mining entity is that you suddenly have to spend a lot of money on cyber security and you become a target for authorities.

@Inaba: if you're reading this what about the proposal of reduced profits I stated earlier. Can you comment on that?
Here's a thought: Just use a mining client which allows you to filter the difficulty of blocks as you generate them. Just artificially mine at a higher difficulty (e.g. 100 fold) than the main network. That means that you throw blocks away which meet the network target, but not your own target.
Simple yet efficient. Also works on the test net.

That would be a comprise solution. You forfeit some of the profits, but you get to mine on the main network...

BTW I find it justified if a company decides to use their products to make profit. And I don't see the company as competing with miners, because it just engages in OWNERSHIP transfer when it takes the unit and sends it out to the customer. Big difference!
legendary
So which is it, are you canceling your orders are selling your place in line?  Greed or Morality, choose!  Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: