Pages:
Author

Topic: is butterfly labs mining with those ASICs at the moment? - page 6. (Read 37508 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
yeah, they named it the same exact thing even though it's a different as can be.  Both the relatively slow FPGA products are yet to be released ASICs are called "bitforce" and their rigs look practically identical in all shots and mock ups I've seen.  So good luck telling photos apart Tongue

but WTF does 1,500MH/s?  That's no ASIC or FPGA rig.  Their rigs do 2,520 MH/s.  Did they upgrade them?
Activity: 888
Merit: 571
Payer sa baguette en BTC, c'est possible
good news for you !!!

you can see here how many users they are on eclipse
https://eclipsemc.com/

Active Miners    1497
Current Speed:    1.73 TH/s

of course they are asic miner who mining !!!!

here the production line
http://www.butterflylabs.com/mini-rig-production-line/
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
Can anyone prove that an ASIC miner capable of +25ghps actually exists at this moment in time?

Only if one exists
Activity: 696
Merit: 500
Can anyone prove that an ASIC miner capable of +25ghps actually exists at this moment in time?
Activity: 392
Or you can just pretend to accept all shares from miners at your current pool but actually ignore them then match their GH/s exactly with ASICs and target your own pool with those ASICs Cheesy  So if there's 450GH/s, start pretending to accept their shares instead of actually accepting them then fire up 450GH/s worth of ASICs and they'll never know the difference Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
By that, I mean I'll have to write a mini-pool to use the testnet in a box bitcoind basically.

Fortunately, I have a little bit of experience in that area from somewhere...
I thought it might.  Thanks for the clarification.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
By that, I mean I'll have to write a mini-pool to use the testnet in a box bitcoind basically.

Fortunately, I have a little bit of experience in that area from somewhere...
legendary
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to post the link.

It's odd that Josh says they will use test-net-in-a-box to test the units, then says that test-net-in-a-box is unsuitable, and he will develop a proprietary solution.  Either way though, it doesn't sound like they are planning to mine on the main net anymore, judging by the wording of that post.
legendary
Do some searching you will find it. Tongue
The search feature sucks.  I'd prefer that someone else who knows where it is simply link to it here.
Activity: 246
Merit: 100
Do some searching you will find it. Tongue
legendary
They said they wouldn't do it. I'll believe until proven that otherwise.

Mining with them does ruin future revenue. If they want to continue to sell hardware, then they need to be taken seriously and be honest and open.
Where did they say this?
Activity: 364
They said they wouldn't do it. I'll believe until proven otherwise.

Mining with them does ruin future revenue. If they want to continue to sell hardware, then they need to be taken seriously and be honest and open.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
A company's goal is to maximize profits, if mining asics while selling asics achieves this goal, then they should do it. it is not immoral at all.
It is when you've already sold the product. If BFL had inventory on the shelf and they disclosed that units that hadn't been sold were mining prior to your purchase, that would be one thing. Keeping units that customers have already paid for months in advance in order to mine with them for profit before shipping them out is another thing entirely.

If you bought a new truck from a dealership and it arrived on Wednesday but you can't pick it up until the following week because the salesman wants to haul a couple loads of lumber up to his cabin on the weekend, you'd be pretty pissed off too.
Activity: 252
Inactive
A company's goal is to maximize profits, if mining asics while selling asics achieves this goal, then they should do it. it is not immoral at all.

True.  Still, this is a one dimensional statement. 

Taken in context we are all in competition for the same revenue source - mining subsidy.  It is every participants responsibility to

1)  Understand their business/market.
2)  Make informed decisions.
3)  Protect their interests.

So, we shouldn't be surprised if miners challenge Bitcoin mining hardware vendors in order to understand/criticize vendor's business plan/practices.  Ultimately, "hobby" or "pro" miners should always be vigilant to monitor any potential market competition and take whatever action available to them to ensure their survival. 

It's surprising and sad that the "mining community" lacks sufficient cohesion to form a semi-formal mining association to represent interests and provide leverage in cases where vendors might threaten their existence.

Activity: 116
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
How is BFL mining with their own ASICs the developed any different then some well heeled hobbyist (read: ASIC engineer) rolling their own ASICs and the mass producing them for their own use? BFL is at least nice enough to offer us ASICs too.

Their money is in selling ASICs if they make a few bucks between now and then, who cares. There are enough competitors who wouldn't mind mining on their own ASICS that it seems like a moot point to stress over.
Activity: 420
I had the same thought yesterday and honestly i would not doubt it.  If you need to test the units anyways, why not make some $?

BFL has stated they test against a "testnet in a box" meaning it's not the normal test-net, it's completely isolated and inhouse.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
oh if i worked at BFL.. i would happily "working" overtime and nights to get the jobe done Grin Grin
Pages:
Jump to: