Pages:
Author

Topic: is butterfly labs mining with those ASICs at the moment? - page 10. (Read 37508 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Inactive

Inaba.  I have valid concerns and others have the same take as I do.  (think about the PM traffic going around taking about both BFL developments)

Are we all 'bad customers' and we all need a refund since what customers think really can be a PITA sometimes?  Do we all "hate BFL" since we voice our concerns?

I really can't dignify your response any further.  It's just silly - every single point. 

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Thanks, you're right, vote with your BTC! 

1) That wasn't a straw man, I was condensing and restating his desires so far.  If they are incorrect, I wait for him to correct me and describe how what I've said is incorrect.
2) It's not, however, when there's an irate, irrational customer, it's best to fire them.  It costs more to deal with problem customers than the profit you make, so it makes more economic sense to part ways from a business perspective.  If people are unhappy, we will gladly issue a refund, because it takes far more time and effort to deal with the constant stream of complaints, most being imaginary or blown out of proportion, than it does to just refund the money and move on.  When the rare instance comes along with the complaint is legitimate and scaled properly, we are glad to deal with that.

So unfortunately, in cases like these, all the "money we'll be making" is less than all the money we'll be losing trying to satisfy people who just can't be satisfied, and believe me, there are a lot of them on this forum.

Huh, I never considered the fact that even if everyone canceled, we would still have the hashing power, but you're right.  That thought does not sit well with me though, I definitely do not want BFL or any single entity to have that much hashing power under one roof, jeez.  That would be a nightmare.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
You can't win in a flame war Inaba. Please take a more measured response and work on the "town hall" thing that has been setup.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Re:  Returns.  I wouldn't be so stupid to reveal my orders to you and not auction them off.  I'm def considering it.
Not for this, but since your glorious leader likes to scam old people in the mail.

So let me get this straight, just so we are clear:

1. You disagree with our non-existent policy to mine on main net with the ASICs we are not currently mining on main net with.
2. You hate BFL and everything we do because we are somehow "shady and dishonest"
3. I offer you a refund, but you don't want one because you
4. Want to sell your place in line to someone else, so you can profit on the loss of someone else buying your place in a supposedly shady company that you hate.

Riiighhhhtt... I guess that morality of yours just goes right out the window when it comes to your profit motive, huh? 

So which is it, are you greedy and only looking out for yourself or are you altruistic and really believe what you say?  If the latter, cancel your orders, vote with your dollars!  If the former, sell your place in line or keep them.  Either you believe what you say and you'll cancel or you are trolling, which is it?  I'm going to guess you aren't going to cancel your orders, your greed will win in the end.

donator
Activity: 151
Merit: 100
Assholier-than-thou retard magnet
So, it's ok for BFL to lack transparency, so that it's easier to perpetrate activities that the mining community would frown upon?  Interesting.  So very ethical of you.  That's exactly the kind of community focused company policy I enjoy.  Do you realize that every BFL customer made a purchase decision under the false pretense that BFL would not be participating in the mining of bitcoins?

Your questions and concerns would be an excellent addition to scary-eyed-batman's "town hall" list.
Activity: 252
Inactive
If the community did not react so violently to changes in statements made here, we would be more open about our plans, but as it is, if we make a statement and then later have to change that, it turns into a giant mess.

This is a glossing over of the matters at hand.

So, it's ok for BFL to lack transparency, so that it's easier to perpetrate activities that the mining community would frown upon?  Interesting.  So very ethical of you.  That's exactly the kind of community focused company policy I enjoy.  Do you realize that every BFL customer made a purchase decision under the false pretense that BFL would not be participating in the mining of bitcoins?

Nedbert9:  We have the best interests of Bitcoin as a whole at heart.  Since you disagree that keeping the security of the network is of paramount importance, please let me know what your order number(s) are and I will get your refund issued immediately so that you may pre-order elsewhere.

That is an amazing mis-characterization of my concerns.  A politically crafty statement to redirect attention from BFL misleading the community early on and falsely suggesting that it is technically, or practically, impossible to QC BFL units without impacting main-net.

Protecting Bitcoin means you need to QC - every unit for 24 hours - on main-net....  really?

Sinking pretty low eh?

Re:  Returns.  I wouldn't be so stupid to reveal my orders to you and not auction them off.  I'm def considering it.
Not for this, but since your glorious leader likes to scam old people in the mail.

donator
Activity: 994
It's not bad, I just don't want to make a commitment and then have to break it due to unforeseen difficulties. As to "why" those details were told to certain individuals at the conference, it was simply because they asked. I don't even know who the various individuals were that I explained our plan to.  If the community did not react so violently to changes in statements made here, we would be more open about our plans, but as it is, if we make a statement and then later have to change that, it turns into a giant mess.

Nedbert9:  We have the best interests of Bitcoin as a whole at heart.  Since you disagree that keeping the security of the network is of paramount importance, please let me know what your order number(s) are and I will get your refund issued immediately so that you may pre-order elsewhere.

Here's a thought: Just use a mining client which allows you to filter the difficulty of blocks as you generate them. Just artificially mine at a higher difficulty (e.g. 100 fold) than the main network. That means that you throw blocks away which meet the network target, but not your own target.
Simple yet efficient. Also works on the test net.

That would be a comprise solution. You forfeit some of the profits, but you get to mine on the main network...

Activity: 535
I specifically stated "customer hardware". I also think they need to disclose if they will be mining also.

Cablepair and Nzhang have been upfront about this.
Activity: 588
firstbits.com/1kznfw
Under NO circumstances should any hardware vendor be mining bitcoins for profit with customer hardware. There is NO excuse for this period.

It is also unethical for someone who works for said company to be competing against the customers of that company.

Just so we're clear on this: cablepair and ngzhang should not mine bitcoins at all.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/high-efficiency-fpga-asic-bitcoin-mining-devices-httpsbtcfpgacom-79637
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/avalon-asic-announcement-pre-order-pre-order-over-project-started-110090
Stop justifying their actions. This "no big deal" attitude is what has fostered the majority of the scams on here.

The owner of the company is a convicted felon on counts of FRAUD.

It matters to everyone who buys their product, period.

Difficulty rising for two weeks is bullshit and that's not the point. You have bought their products, in effect they are competing against YOU.

You and everyone else who pre-funded their product with limited or no recourse should at least expect to get your stuff quickly and without competition from your supplier.

How about the fact that there will only ever be 21 million coins ? You don't think it matters that they will have mined thousands of those with your hardware ?

Screw difficulty, the fact is you and everyone else can NEVER mine those coins.
legendary
Activity: 952
Testing on the main net only reduces customer profits for a MAXIMUM of 14 days, and in reality it's much lower than that. After 2 weeks of mining, the difficulty gets recalculated, and the BFL testing from 2 weeks before will have no further affect on your profits.
Testing on the main net is bullshit and everyone knows it.

It has been clearly stated many times that testing could be done easily on a variety of testing platforms which would not effect the main net or increase difficulty.

You don't compete against your customers in ANY business, period. It is illegal and unethical.

Under NO circumstances should any hardware vendor be mining bitcoins for profit with customer hardware. There is NO excuse for this period.

It is also unethical for someone who works for said company to be competing against the customers of that company.
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
Seems to be back to normal.

next dif 2796746.67390 13 days. Yesterday it said next dif 38*****.**.
Activity: 392
I don't think it's legal to throw those in the garbage in any of the 50 states lol.
Activity: 392
I still find it surprising that even if BFL would in the future run every customer's card for 24 hours and that makes like $15 or something so it knocks some price off the card since BFL would be making money and then you receive a fully tested and much more likely to work product and use it to mine for the other 364 days of the year and you still have a problem with that?  That's just dumb.

What I'd have a problem with is a "buy one get one me" deal where they actually cost $75 to produce so for every one BFL sells you, they buy themselves one and run it and basically mine against you forever with your own money Tongue I have a feeling they wouldn't do that, lol.
legendary
Activity: 1050
for some reason I was under impression that BFL would not disrupt network difficulty with customer's hardware (testing), I think someone from BFL mentioned it in one of threads few month ago.

For burn-in testing please consider setting up alternative test environment. 
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
It would be very simple for someone to make an alternate "testnet"

To repeat, for the cheap seats:
     testnet-in-a-box
     http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/testnet-in-a-box/

testnet-in-a-box is a simple setup that provides a two-node network suitable for fully validated, off-network testing.  testnet-in-a-box testing is fully private, and will not disrupt mainnet and or testnet.

Further, note that testnet has special rules just in case a miner blasts the difficulty through the roof, then disappears:
Code:
            // If the new block's timestamp is more than 2* 10 minutes
            // then allow mining of a min-difficulty block.

For BFL, testnet-in-a-box would provide validity testing without disrupting any public network.

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
To be honest, I don't really care much that they are going to do this, but they could mine against a p2pool that is modified to not submit the winning block, and simply log the success. This would mine on mainnet and still be verifiable.

Alternatively they could mine the coins PPS into individual wallets and sent a printout of the private key import details. I get the feeling that this isn't the same as the cars because those cars weren't driven to the financial benefit of anyone. If you found out that the reason the odometer was 300 was because Ford was renting the cars out on a daily basis and pocketing the money, then you might be less happy about it.

But ultimately I don't really care. I just want my ASIC to arrive working.

True that.  If they're throwing ASICs at the main block chain, then it means...ASICs exist.  They may even end up in people's hands!

+1

Please gentlemen can we please cut the bullshit?

I mean seriously, this argument is pointless.

If BFL Is mining with ASICs on main-net its for one reason and one reason only.

To make an incredible profit.

that way BFL could test their asics without disrupting the difficulty of main-net or test-net.

However it would be INCREDIBLY profitable for someone like BFL to "test" ASICs on main-net and this is the reason they would do so.

Then again their may be others that will put their systems on main-net with out us ever knowing.

However if you were one of the first to purchase your SC's using BTC valued at 4.6 - 6.4 USD then this could be a slap in the face...
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

BFL, Inaba, hugs  and kisses to both of you.

But Please.

Do not you dare test a difficulty changing amount of hashing power on mainnet.

THIS IS WHAT TEST NET IS FOR.

USE IT.

+1 or if you must.... the 1T units consider contacting the recipient of those units and use their credentials for that 24hr period

However...

If we tested on testnet, it would make testnet useless, since it would spike the difficulty to unmanagable levels. 

Regardless, we aren't testing any ASIC equipment on the live network either now or in the past, so it's pretty immaterial.  We already have a plan, which I explained to several people at the Bitcoin conference on how we are going to handle the live testing when that time comes.

Activity: 896
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
Please gentlemen can we please cut the bullshit?

I mean seriously, this argument is pointless.

If BFL Is mining with ASICs on main-net its for one reason and one reason only.

To make an incredible profit.

that way BFL could test their asics without disrupting the difficulty of main-net or test-net.

However it would be INCREDIBLY profitable for someone like BFL to "test" ASICs on main-net and this is the reason they would do so.

Pages:
Jump to: