Pages:
Author

Topic: Is taxation theft? - page 12. (Read 75960 times)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
August 05, 2018, 04:44:21 PM
Well, if we look up the word "theft," we'll notice it means 'dishonestly taking something that belongs to someone else and keeping it (or stealing, i.e. taking something without the permission or knowledge of the owner and keeping it).'
The key words here are without the permission or knowledge , which contradicts the process of taxation. I mean, you know that they are taking the money from you, but on the other hand, they never ask you for permission or whether or not you are willing to do so Wink
So, it's a theft only by half and only providing you're not willing to do so. If you are, then it isn't a theft at all, IMHO.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
August 05, 2018, 04:34:57 PM

If you look at old pictures of the future back when roads were first being developed you had airships, airplanes all over, walkways from building to building, etc. We only have a car dominated transportation system we have now because the roads are "free". There would be many different sorts of transportation if roads were not free.

Then again, you are certainly not the first person to ask about the roads when it comes to no taxes.

Here is the official "what about the roads?" thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-official-what-about-the-roads-thread-345749

Right! And the only one to make money off virtually everything is Government. Think of the postal system. UPS and FedEx have to jump through all kinds of legal hoops to get to deliver packages. And they are almost always required to use the postal system for part of their delivery. And they aren't allowed to deliver mail like the postal system does. So government has their monopoly hands in almost everything.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
August 05, 2018, 02:05:27 PM
I didn't realize that Disney buys up so many roads. I guess it makes sense. I like the story with the bridge between the US and Canada. I wonder what it is that made the governments so horrible as making the bridge profitable, even at a higher price. What was it that made it easier for the private company to monetize the venture? Aren't there some government policies that prevent cell phone companies from endlessly raising their prices? I think it's called collusion, right? Without government regulation, are there some natural tendencies that would prevent collusion?

Monopolies cannot exist without government force. It just doesn't work.

I can only site one case of a natural monopoly in the United States that did not use the force of government. That is the company that manufactures those little white pieces of cardboard for priests to wear around their collars. I'm thinking the only reason it was a monopoly was that there was not much motivation to disrupt that industry and the company likely kept prices low for ideological reasons.
I'm not understanding something here. Are you equating monopolies to collusion? Isn't a monopoly when one company takes over an entire market? They may buy out competitors or just run them out of business with more competitive prices. Collusion is something else, if I understand correctly. Price collusion happens when you have multiple companies providing the same service. They would typically compete on price to win more of the market, but they can promise each other that none of them will go over a certain prices. They may also all agree to raise prices. In the example with the roads, couldn't this happen? The private road owners would realize that there is no choice but to use roads. They could take advantage of that. They could collude with all the other road owners and agree to raise prices. People could sort of become slaves to the road owners. Why shouldn't that be a concern?

Collusion is almost the same as a monopoly, it's just an oligopoly. Again, it cannot exist without government. They require the government to ensure that nobody outside of their group comes in and takes all of their customers by providing a lower price. Governments tend to provide that service (the service of keeping competition out of the market).

Imagine the road running next to a long piece of farm land, through collusion, is making $100k per year just for that strip. The farmer knows that the same square meters of his land only brings in $20k per year. He is now incentivized to build a road on his property instead of food. He can then undercut the road company and take all of the customers. Same with every single property next to the road. Without the government there would be no way an oligopoly would stop people from competing.

If you look at old pictures of the future back when roads were first being developed you had airships, airplanes all over, walkways from building to building, etc. We only have a car dominated transportation system we have now because the roads are "free". There would be many different sorts of transportation if roads were not free.

Then again, you are certainly not the first person to ask about the roads when it comes to no taxes.

Here is the official "what about the roads?" thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-official-what-about-the-roads-thread-345749
Activity: 11
August 05, 2018, 10:31:18 AM
Depends. If it is gobbled up corrupt politicians, definitely theft. If used for social welfare, maybe not.
Activity: 14
August 05, 2018, 03:53:35 AM
Personally, I do feel it is theft, I never consented to any taxation. I feel that this video helps explain the video quite well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMQZEIXBMs

The video is very persuasive, I'd say  Cool, but what if everyone chooses not to "help George," even those who can afford to "help a thousand Georges?"
The society must then come with a new paradigm of providing funds to do public works, like road repairs, sanitation, etc., etc.
I'm not saying that forcing all people to "help George" is okay. I'm merely trying to understand what opitons we have in this respect...
Activity: 14
August 05, 2018, 01:42:00 AM
Letting me keep my property (money) would be one of those improvements I would like to see.

Cool

Yeah, that would be a huuuge improvement  Grin
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
August 04, 2018, 05:33:05 PM
I didn't realize that Disney buys up so many roads. I guess it makes sense. I like the story with the bridge between the US and Canada. I wonder what it is that made the governments so horrible as making the bridge profitable, even at a higher price. What was it that made it easier for the private company to monetize the venture? Aren't there some government policies that prevent cell phone companies from endlessly raising their prices? I think it's called collusion, right? Without government regulation, are there some natural tendencies that would prevent collusion?

Monopolies cannot exist without government force. It just doesn't work.

I can only site one case of a natural monopoly in the United States that did not use the force of government. That is the company that manufactures those little white pieces of cardboard for priests to wear around their collars. I'm thinking the only reason it was a monopoly was that there was not much motivation to disrupt that industry and the company likely kept prices low for ideological reasons.
legendary
August 04, 2018, 05:01:47 PM
Get out the law dictionaries and encyclopedias. Look up the word taxes/tax/taxation. The dictionaries and encyclopedias use other words to describe and define taxes/tax/taxation. Look those words up, as well, and then the definitions of those words, etc., on and on. What you will finally come to as the definition of taxes/tax/taxation is, fraud. What this means is that the the word theft isn't what taxation really is. Rather, taxation is robbery via fraud.

Cool
Activity: 19
August 04, 2018, 02:44:50 PM
Personally I kinda feel taxation IS a theft, but it's one of the prehistoric conventions and I'm not sure we can actually change anything about it.
legendary
August 04, 2018, 10:34:38 AM

Aren't there some government policies that prevent cell phone companies from endlessly raising their prices? I think it's called collusion, right? Without government regulation, are there some natural tendencies that would prevent collusion?

It's called competition.

Government is colluding with the companies to keep prices up much higher than they would be without the collusion. They do this to get more tax money.

Cool
legendary
August 04, 2018, 10:02:22 AM
Letting me keep my property (money) would be one of those improvements I would like to see.

Cool
Activity: 18
August 04, 2018, 06:33:49 AM
Looks like that because you don't see the improvements you expect to see.
Activity: 15
August 04, 2018, 06:12:22 AM
Nope. Unless a country's leaders do anything wrong with the tax money, in which case it's obviously a theft.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
August 04, 2018, 02:08:31 AM
this could be an interesting take, its not a theft as it is used for your own welfare by the government. We use those things in daily life and then debate if it is a theft?

Wow, that's different from the 1000 other sheep in this thread. Thank you for the valuable insight.

You are all paying taxes on the few scraps you get from your signature campaigns...right?

Because the ends justifying the means and all.
Activity: 27
Merit: 2
August 03, 2018, 10:58:16 PM
this could be an interesting take, its not a theft as it is used for your own welfare by the government. We use those things in daily life and then debate if it is a theft?
Activity: 722
Merit: 258
August 03, 2018, 05:33:58 PM
Taxes were always.even 1,000 years ago.Only it was called differently-a tribute to.What taxes are needed for-to create conditions for a decent life.Are these requirements now being met?Of course not.Hence the question-why pay taxes at all?
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
August 03, 2018, 05:01:29 PM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. This really is an interesting subject. You do a good job of explaining it. In terms of the roads, the way I understand it, private companies would own different parts of the roads? I guess one company could run the roads in one region and another could own the roads in the next region over. Each company would sell memberships to people. They would make contracts with each other to allow their "members" to use to other company's roads. Does that sound about right? Shouldn't we be concerned at all that the roads are private? Couldn't they jack the prices up unreasonably or discriminate again certain groups of people, for example?

There are some examples of private roads, and most people who are for privatizing would require some sort of easement to ensure that people are not locked in their homes. I imagine road systems would be local, regional and national. Where local roads are treated differently from national roads.

If you have ever been to Disney World you have driven on a private road. Disney wants people to be able to get to their park easily so they purchased all of the roads going into their park and have built them and maintained them on their own so that they don't have to worry about huge traffic jams or degrading roadways for their customers. Most believe that local roadways would be paid by businesses that want people to have easy access to drive to their stores. Ever turned off of the government road onto a large shopping center parking lot with roads? Those are all private.

There was a bridge between the US and Canada that was losing money for the governments of both sides even though they charged a large fee for everyone crossing. They ended up privatizing it and not only did the company that bought it lower prices but they made it profitable.

Phone companies could also raise prices on those cell towers as well. Make it so expensive so that only the world's richest can use cell phones. So why don't they do that? Could it be that companies that are in business to make money actually want to make money? Private roads would be the same. More customers equals more money. Why would they want to push people out of the system by making it harder for people to use their service?

I'm just one person on the Internet with an idea of how private roads could work. But if they were private there would be tens of thousands of people with entrepreneurial spirit trying to figure out a better solution to beat the current competition to offer better solutions. We would go from our current system in the same way that we used to have our home phone lines to an advancement system in roadways akin to our current smart phones in our pockets.

In a way, people who want taxes to pay for roads are getting in the way of the potential that transport could achieve. If it weren't for the government monopoly.

And if they raise the price on a certain group of people....

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.

Activity: 16
August 03, 2018, 04:05:17 AM
Whether a theft or not, we can only judge on a case-by-case basis. Because it first emerged with a basic idea of keeping things in order. Unfortunately, some politicians seem to ruin that idea because they are corrupt, but this doesn't make it a "theft," does it? Wink
Activity: 19
August 02, 2018, 06:46:42 PM
Of course it's a necessity, but not a theft definitely. (Sometimes, depending on the government, it could look like the theft)
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
August 02, 2018, 04:09:10 PM
If taxation is done as intended, it definitely is not theft. However, it's only human to want to use taxpayers' money for personal financial gain and, probably, very few people can resist it Sad

What does it matter what a thief does with the money once he has stolen it?

There are two separate issues here. How the money is obtained. And how the money is spent.

How the money is spent does not affect how the money is obtained.

That is what people do not understand.

If I kill a guy, then roast him up in a fine meal that I then give to some hungry people on the street, would you be trying to justify the murder because some people got fed? Would you not even care that someone was killed? Would people even have to ask the question "is killing people to feed people murder?". Would you be criticizing those that call it murder as being heartless? Not wanting hungry people to be fed. What about those poor starving children that just want a meal? How dare you call it murder?

If this has been done for millennia, nobody would consider it murder. If someone else chimed in and said "maybe we can feed people without killing people" then the majority would have no clue how it could be done. So they would say that the killing is justified. Oh, but only "if the meal is prepared correctly". Because they cannot fathom any other way.
Pages:
Jump to: