Pages:
Author

Topic: jgarzik goes berzerk in #bitcoin-dev, wtf? - page 10. (Read 28980 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
November 30, 2012, 07:50:22 PM
Let me repeat myself, because it seems that most of people here don't get it:

It is also clear that after this topic and "Iranians start to use Bitcoin" article on Buisnessweek, there is no stopping Iranians from using Bitcoin, and hundereds of pages of posts will only make it worse by spreading the topic further into the Interwebz.

**The longer you discuss on this topic, the more Iranians will eventually start using Bitcoin**

(jgarzik should not have censored the guy in the first place, but it's too late for it now)

Streissand Effect is a bitch.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
November 30, 2012, 07:34:23 PM

I like your faith in fellow humans, though.  I think I was born without that part of the brain. :-)

That's just because it's late. I get more mellow the darker it gets.
donator
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
November 30, 2012, 07:28:49 PM
Jgarzik is quite right in his assessment. The US government doesn't give a fuck about freedom of speech. They sacrificed that privilege long ago for homeland security. If something threatens the US dominance even in an indirect way - it will get silenced or at least corrupted.

If someone wants to promote something like the Iranian adoption of bitcoin, they need to use the unofficial channels.
legendary
Activity: 1498
November 30, 2012, 06:46:27 PM
I'll make it easy.

Ya, I didn't comment on that because honestly I think this thread is stupid. #bitcoin-dev is a developer related channel, not a channel for requesting upvotes on an extremely controversal and political topic article. Jeff gave a warning and followed with a ban. I dont think he 'went berzerk'

ber·serk/bərˈzərk/
Adjective:   
(of a person or animal) Out of control with anger or excitement; wild or frenzied

+100000000

Honestly the guy did what any OP on any IRC channel would do.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
November 30, 2012, 07:27:46 PM
Are you reverse-engeneering compiled, for-the-masses, versions?...
That's very simple to do, anyone can anytime they want.

Far from the truth. Have you reverse-engeneered any of official compiled versions and compared the code with source? I doubt.

Shouldn't it be possible to compile the source on a similar system, then just check for byte differences between "official compiled versions" and your fresh compile in a hex editor?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
November 30, 2012, 06:38:03 PM
Maybe his time is better spent working on Bitcoin dev, but now we talk about the time he spent censoring someone who was asking for a Bitcoin language transaction. And probably your time is too better spent managing your bitinstant bussiness

Agreed. It's 6am and Ira and I have stayed up all night coding some new features. Now we are eating chicken nuggets and I'm reading the forums before I crash in my bed Grin I hope thats ok with you.

trying to excuse Garzik's behaviour,

Oh dear, do you read my responses before commenting?

I'll make it easy.

Ya, I didn't comment on that because honestly I think this thread is stupid. #bitcoin-dev is a developer related channel, not a channel for requesting upvotes on an extremely controversal and political topic article. Jeff gave a warning and followed with a ban. I dont think he 'went berzerk'

ber·serk/bərˈzərk/
Adjective:   
(of a person or animal) Out of control with anger or excitement; wild or frenzied

It's really not a delicate situation. His time is better spent working on Bitcoin dev, which is his job, not wasting his time on threads like this.

because matches the "full legit Bitcoin cosmovision" your Bitcoin foundation professes.

lol what does that even mean? Don't answer, I should not have even started this debate. Your right, I'm wasting my time here.

It's not MY bitcoin foundation, it belongs to Bitcoin and its members. Hence the reason the board is elected every 2 years.

Activity: 597
Merit: 500
November 30, 2012, 06:31:14 PM
It's really not a delicate situation. His time is better spent working on Bitcoin dev, which is his job, not wasting his time on threads like this.

Maybe his time is better spent working on Bitcoin dev, but now we talk about the time he spent censoring someone who was asking for a Bitcoin language translation. And probably your time is too better spent managing your bitinstant bussiness or developing Bitcoin than coming here, trying to excuse Garzik's behaviour, because matches the "full legit Bitcoin cosmovision" your Bitcoin foundation professes.
Activity: 686
Wat
November 30, 2012, 06:29:24 PM
I think Jeff needs to do what others have suggested and come back under i2p if hes that concerned about things he has no control over.

Rather than censor people on sensitive topics.

We had the same argument with nefario and look what happened to glbse.
legendary
November 30, 2012, 06:23:22 PM
So long as there's an active community watching the code then public opinion has somewhere reliable to get its facts from and to contribute to.

Are you reverse-engeneering compiled, for-the-masses, versions? If not, looking at the code is waste of time.

Thats absolutely not true. The reason for Open Source is for people to read, check, and criticize the code by bringing good arguments for and against it.

If the community feels need be, code will be reverted and miners and clients can chose wether to accept or reject a new update.

In fact, you can read the changelog and see this happend more then once https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Changelog

However, after the warning, the topic changed to new translations of the Bitcoin software. I think it is completely unreasonable for Jeremias to have been banned for that.

The ban took place 63 seconds after that topic was first brought up.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
November 30, 2012, 06:20:02 PM
jgarzik launched recently a new client - picocoin.
Should I fear about some backdoor in it?

(Technomage: Hyvä, Suomi! Viro on puolellasi! Olen puhunut puhelimitse Jeremiaksen kanssa. Voin olla varma, et Cryptedmemo on turvallinen kanava. Terveiset hänellekin!)
Activity: 496
November 30, 2012, 06:19:52 PM

I agree that it wasn't the place for asking for upvotes, and that the title of this thread is exaggerated. However, after the warning, the topic changed to new translations of the Bitcoin software. I think it is completely unreasonable for Jeremias to have been banned for that.
legendary
November 30, 2012, 06:14:42 PM
Good post Charlie. I appreciate everything you do. I also know you're not one of those guys who is pissing his pants over this. Everyone on the board of Bitcoin Foundation is actually very brave and I appreciate all of them.

that's right, but it never hurts to have more transparency, which is why i wish jgarzik would come here and diffuse this thread with some explanation.

that's right, but it never hurts to have more transparency, which is why i wish jgarzik would come here and diffuse this thread with some explanation.

I think he will. Give him time. It's a delicate situation and probably requires thinking it through. It's also better when the heated drama cools down a bit.

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
November 30, 2012, 06:12:08 PM

I think he will. Give him time. It's a delicate situation and probably requires thinking it through. It's also better when the heated drama cools down a bit.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
November 30, 2012, 06:09:48 PM
Good post Charlie. I appreciate everything you do. I also know you're not one of those guys who is pissing his pants over this. Everyone on the board of Bitcoin Foundation is actually very brave and I appreciate all of them.

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
November 30, 2012, 06:07:48 PM
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
November 30, 2012, 06:03:13 PM
This looks more like monopoly money than federal reserve notes to me.

Agreed on the colored notes, but definitely not on the coins.

The coins look like U.S. government money as much as your coins do, Casascius.

Let's hope you don't become the next von NotHaus.  Are you ready to spend some time in the big house?

Actually they don't.  Casascius coins have no resemblance to the style of US coins other then the fact that they are around and made of metal.  

The Liberty Dollar coins use both the statue of liberty and the word "LIBERTY" at the top of the coin in a near identical fashion to genuine US coins.  

I am not saying they should be illegal, but the case is quite clear under current US law.  

Also Casascius coins are NOT pegged to the dollar.  
legendary
November 30, 2012, 06:02:56 PM
Someone stated smartly in THE Bitcoin Foundation thread that we need to separate de Bitcoin project from the USA.

Now we have USA devs, working in a Washington based foundation and forums with USA moderators fearing USA laws censoring worldwide users.

Fuck, I need a hamburguer now    Angry Angry Angry

I have to say that I'm starting to agree with this. If the people in the US are too afraid of the US government, we have a problem. I'm not saying they shouldn't be afraid. Maybe they do need to be afraid. What I'm saying is that maybe we need to decentralize a little more. Having so many "major players" of Bitcoin in the US is not necessarily a very good thing.

Hey,

No offense, but I'm the one on the front line here and when the US Gov't goes after Bitcoin I'll be one of the first people put in jail.

I agree that we need to decentralize more, and thats why I've created a contingency plan for myself and my team.

Someone stated smartly in THE Bitcoin Foundation thread that we need to separate the Bitcoin project from the USA.
Now we have USA devs, working in a Washington based foundation and forums with USA moderators fearing USA laws censoring worldwide users.

+1000

And to say more, by calling it *THE* Bitcoin Foundation they only made it worse, because it's like saying "Hey, we are the CENTRAL Bitcoin Authority !". Not very smart if you don't want to be first target in case of "some" government decides that Bitcoin is illegal after all.

Oh dear, I must have said this 15 times. Its NOT called The Bitcoin Foundation. It's simply Bitcoin Foundation. The 'the' is only used when referencing this specific foundation.

In fact, you can create your own foundation. I know people who are in the process of doing so.

This foundation was simply created to fund Bitcoin projects and for Bitcoin companies to allocate their resources for a shared and common goal.

I know we all hate government and central authority, but I must have said this 15 times, this foundation has no teeth nor power to change Bitcoin.

Anyone who understands Bitcoin should understand that. I would assume you do.

Bitcoin is not something that can be made 'illegal'. It's a protocol and a standard, like VOIP or HTTP. You can't shut down BitTorrent for the same reasons, and believe me they have tried. (Offtopic: GREAT article about how the 1/3 of BitTorrent downloads are legal and how BT is working with the music industry http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/25/bittorrent-matt-mason-interview/)

What would the government do? Ban cryptography? If they ban Bitcoin, we can simply change the nane. They can't ban math.

However, they can choke us by shutting down companies like BitInstant, which is why I've created my own contingency plan to make sure this does not happen.

-Charlie

+1 from me too

An USA based foundation, the top of the idiocy

While I agree the USA sucks in terms of regulatory pressure (I know firsthand as my office is based in NYC) we need to be on the frontlines and take themhead on
Activity: 868
November 30, 2012, 05:57:14 PM
I have to say that I'm starting to agree with this. If the people in the US are too afraid of the US government, we have a problem. I'm not saying they shouldn't be afraid. Maybe they do need to be afraid. What I'm saying is that maybe we need to decentralize a little more. Having so many "major players" of Bitcoin in the US is not necessarily a very good thing.

It's not just the US which is enforcing sanctions against Iran - the UK and the EU are as well and it's likely that other nations/economic co-operation organisations will follow.  The possibility of Iran becoming the new Cuba is not remote and "major players" are vulnerable, both as businesses and as individuals, if that happens and they fail to enforce the sanctions.

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
November 30, 2012, 05:41:30 PM
+1 from me too

An USA based foundation, the top of the idiocy
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
November 30, 2012, 05:37:48 PM
Someone stated smartly in THE Bitcoin Foundation thread that we need to separate the Bitcoin project from the USA.

+1000

And to say more, by calling it *THE* Bitcoin Foundation they only made it worse, because it's like saying "Hey, we are the CENTRAL Bitcoin Authority !". Not very smart if you don't want to be first target in case of "some" government decides that Bitcoin is illegal after all.
Pages:
Jump to: