Pages:
Author

Topic: [LEAKED] Private Bitcoin Foundation Discussions On Blacklisting, more (ZIP dump) - page 13. (Read 61169 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 501
This is why we need alternative blockchains. Bitcoin is going mainstream.
Or an alternative, true, foundation?

No, no centralization please. Existing members of the BF should consider withdrawing their membership.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Stuff about the us gov actions...

You've misunderstood my point. I was showing how the media and the gov and the public will react.

How the gov actually behave themselves has nothing to do with it. All the media, but perhaps the US particular, have to take a lot of the blame for not raising merry hell about what's gone on. However, it's nothing to do with my point and I don't trust any gov to anything related to blacklisting. It'd be a disaster of epic proportions and cannot be allowed.

However... That does not mean something can be done to prevent the gov doing a major hatchet job such as a third party verification service mandated for all crypto currencies. I don't want anything done but that's wishful thinking. Too much is at stake.
Activity: 280
Merit: 257
bluemeanie
It looks like the foundation is attracting a lot of wanna-be central bankers

How many times - read read read. Stop just reading a headline and throwing out a random statement based on fiction. No wonder Fox News has such a huge effect - people don't want to think for themselves, they just want to be outraged.

Virtually no one wants tainting. Based on the forum posts the op put up, the foundation members don't either.

did you read this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/libor-scandal/10394831/City-workers-face-investigation-over-Libor-fixing.html

who do you think is culpable?
It looks like the foundation is attracting a lot of wanna-be central bankers

How many times - read read read. Stop just reading a headline and throwing out a random statement based on fiction. No wonder Fox News has such a huge effect - people don't want to think for themselves, they just want to be outraged.

Virtually no one wants tainting. Based on the forum posts the op put up, the foundation members don't either.
bluemeanie
watching

does anyone think it's a coincidence that we have a huge run up in BTC price EXACTLY at the time this stuff is going on behind closed doors?

certainly suggests and implicates various parties in some dastardly doings.
Obviously.

Some "groups" have concluded that Bitcoin will go mainstream and it has to be controlled before it can harm their business and powers.

well if the insiders(who are supposed to be representing the community) covertly agree to work in controls that are beneficial for capital interests, then they know its safe to start buying BTC, and they know this before the general public does and can profit from it.
None of what you said has anything to do with what I said. Talk about someone not reading...

I'm just saying I came here looking for a solution for this CoinValidation business. I got none. And not only that, but the foundation is actually talking about its merits.

Regulators, debates, meeting the government... cool story bro. But it's off topic. I'm just talking about how I'm not seeing any solutions to the CoinValidation issue coming from the Foundation.

CoinValidation was literally only just announced and is not even what's under discussion! You're conflating issues.

The foundation themselves are nothing to do with it. I hope I'm not being out of turn but I contacted Mike Hearn and he said he doesn't know about their plans. They need to be looked at and an approach formulated because you can bet govs will love CoinValidation - it could give them more than they ever dreamed. Imagine the US or your knowing every single thing you spend, when, maybe even where. It turns bitcoin into our worst nightmare.

However, if the bitcoin crowd refuse to budge, we'll see a gov supported crypto or a layer on top of bitcoin and it'll all get unnecessarily messy and no one will win. Man in the street doesn't know or care about is, and they don't trust bitcoin anyway. Don't trust govs or banks much either but money wise I guarantee they will trust the dollar or a Visa card many times more than this currency that looks like a ponzi to them and is used by criminals apparently (just putting across a common pov).

So you may not want anyone speaking to regulators or the gov, but you're not thinking it through and whether you agree or not, it isn't on to start making personal attacks and throwing around inaccurate information as we've seen (I'm not saying you are yourself!).
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1006
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
watching

does anyone think it's a coincidence that we have a huge run up in BTC price EXACTLY at the time this stuff is going on behind closed doors?

Obviously.

Some "groups" have concluded that Bitcoin will go mainstream and it has to be controlled before it can harm their business and powers.
bluemeanie

The only people with their knickers in a twist over a simple discussion are people here.

Why does it seem we have so many British on this side of the discussion lately?  Also the IBM rep who was poking around was also London based.

I think maybe theyre concerned this might happen again:  http://www.no-debts.com/anti-federalist/files/ownmoney.txt

@ffssixtynine

I see you like government involvement, or at the very least - you think that there's no use in resisting it. With your little crafted example of Bin retard, for instance. Fear as a tactic? Its working for the DHS rather well, isn't it? So naturally you adopt this stance and say "Well, look - we can catch bad people if we do X, Y and Z" without stopping for one second and looking at the principles being violated.

Personal freedom and financial freedom are worthwhile, no matter how many horrible counter-examples you can give. For every system there are positives and negatives, and I'm not going to give up this fight just because someone is scared the "bad guys" will abuse it.

As for the "Bitcoin Foundation", all they've done is raise Bitcoin's visibility towards the very forces that can cause us harm (Depending on where you live, I guess.). Thanks a load, guys, you're really pals. Entertaining or "just discussing" these issues with government aren't helping anyone, at all.

All they'll end up achieving is crippling U.S. involvement with Bitcoin, and then other countries will take the torch and leave them in the dust.

This is simply idiocy.

Can I just clarify that no no no I'm not in favour of any of it. I have said that several times Smiley

However, some form of regulation is going to happen. It doesn't matter what you say, what I say, what the foundation say, it is going to happen. Just like with KYC with exchanges. Refusing to discuss it internally, let alone externally, is folly in the extreme. You'll then have people like yifu having the regulator's ear instead. That would be an utter nightmare - there would be no balance.

They haven't raised Bitcoin's visibility in this respect - this is being discussing heavily at regulators world wide and multiple companies are working on how they can make money by getting in bed with the gov at our expense (some may even believe it's the right thing to do). I've known this was under discussion in the UK and US since July. It only takes a few contacts to know what's going on, plus enough has been said in public, and many other people here know this too. The only people with their knickers in a twist over a simple discussion are people here.

Let me make clear the difference between something being discussed to as to know how to deal with questioning, which is absolutely essential, and coming out and saying at we should do x.  It's important to recognise the difference. In order to counter arguments for black green grey etc listing, you need to have discussed it, including technical approaches. Not doing so means being caught with your pants down.

Regulators are not necessarily your enemy, but governments and law enforcement certainly can be. Regulators are the guys in the middle. It's all rather more complex than you seem to realise.

Btw This issue goes way beyond the US.
bluemeanie
There is alternatives.

http://www.assets-otc.com/gocoin/

He's code looks sane, as go code usually does.

have you actually tried this?

apparently a web link is some sort of new form of argument proof in our modern times.

argumentum ad hrefium?
Activity: 462

Imagine Bin Laden is still around.

We find out his Bitcoin address. It contains 10,000 Bitcoins and we can see transactions entering it.

We then see outgoings, some of which are traced to weapons used to kill 1000s of Americans, think a major bomb or subway incident.

Keep your fairytails to yourself... the CIA works with the Saudis to run all those merc groups in the middle east.  Wake up.  Not to mention Mossad
bluemeanie
watching

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
I am to the point where I would take a serious look at a codebase released from a group of people I trust to evolve the protocol in a healthy direction which rectifies some of the deficiencies.  gmaxwell, retep, and adam3us come to mind.

Ideally releases from the more desirable codebase would track and inter-operate with releases blessed by the Bitcoin Foundation.  Until they didn't.

You already have a codebase released from that group, the one at http://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

If it is changed in a way that is seriously objectionable, as opposed to minor disagreements about engineering tradeoffs, believe me, you will see alternative releases from myself and many others pop up.

you do realize that code base is a labyrinthine maze of C code, GOTOs, global variables, and other off-putting things?

there are only a few people who are effectively capable of modifying the bitcoin code in any serious way.  The only alternative client is BitcoinJ, written by Mike Hearn, who appears to be at the center of this whole controversy.

Given that not many people here seem to even know the basics of software engineering, that leaves precious few people who can have an impact and haven't been bought out.

There is alternatives.

http://www.assets-otc.com/gocoin/

He's code looks sane, as go code usually does.

-

I was thinking that if this rubbish is implemented, the network will become a battlegound for hacking and attacks. And with the crap that gov is likely to contribute, those attacks will likely succeed.

The foundation needs to improve the strength of the protocol and its resilience, not bend it to anyone's will
bluemeanie
We need an altcoin that improves the weaknesses bitcoin has
So none of the altcoins out there already, to be clear. They all use addresses like Bitcoin and are data-minable just as Bitcoin is. Perhaps more so given their smaller blockchains and lack of alternative clients.

at best you will duplicate the pattern and buy some time perhaps?  If the underlying technology is identical, then it's not immune to the same effects.  Some of the altcoins have departed considerably from the basic Bitcoin structure thus it takes more work to couple the various commercial systems to them, but it's not a major barrier.  All the alt-coins are structurally similar if not identical to Bitcoin.

Confidence Chains IS immune to these effects.  I re-factored some very low level elements.
bluemeanie
I am to the point where I would take a serious look at a codebase released from a group of people I trust to evolve the protocol in a healthy direction which rectifies some of the deficiencies.  gmaxwell, retep, and adam3us come to mind.

Ideally releases from the more desirable codebase would track and inter-operate with releases blessed by the Bitcoin Foundation.  Until they didn't.

You already have a codebase released from that group, the one at http://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

If it is changed in a way that is seriously objectionable, as opposed to minor disagreements about engineering tradeoffs, believe me, you will see alternative releases from myself and many others pop up.

you do realize that code base is a labyrinthine maze of C code, GOTOs, global variables, and other off-putting things?

there are only a few people who are effectively capable of modifying the bitcoin code in any serious way.  The only alternative client is BitcoinJ, written by Mike Hearn, who appears to be at the center of this whole controversy.

Given that not many people here seem to even know the basics of software engineering, that leaves precious few people who can have an impact and haven't been bought out.
Activity: 434
Every smart person owning bitcoins will rush into altcoins if those plans become reality, altcoins will rise, bitcoin will fall ... you'll loose nothing, they loose everything. Stay calm. The technology is here to stay.
No need to rush into any altcoins, a simple hard fork is all we need.

You people are so stupid I need to go find popcorn to watch this.
You are fighting your own shadow. Let me repeat this:

Bitcoin Foundation is not imposing anything
Bitcoin Devs are not doing anything along these lines
Bitcoin miners wont allow anyone to go against the best interests of network.

It's a closed book. please stop all this stupid banter.
'

you shouldn't be so inflammatory and call people stupid, especially when you don't know the meaning of the word banter:

an exchange of light, playful, teasing remarks; good-natured raillery.
verb (used with object)
to address with banter; chaff.
verb (used without object)

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
So far what I'm reading is a very adult conversation about serious issues Bitcoin faces as it grows up. I'm not seeing the sort of thread that would happen here or Reddit.

It's not decisions being forced by the Foundation and I'm tired of seeing it put across like that. It's a discussion and it's a really important one. Here is why:

Imagine Bin Laden is still around.

Bitcoin is not supposed to be a tool that replaces the incompetence of law enforcement.

We need an altcoin that improves the weaknesses bitcoin has, hence allows people to be free once again, and not treated as potential Bin Ladens.

You know this

Ya and we know how successful the altcoins are. Go take a rest.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
Every smart person owning bitcoins will rush into altcoins if those plans become reality, altcoins will rise, bitcoin will fall ... you'll loose nothing, they loose everything. Stay calm. The technology is here to stay.
No need to rush into any altcoins, a simple hard fork is all we need.

You people are so stupid I need to go find popcorn to watch this.
You are fighting your own shadow. Let me repeat this:

Bitcoin Foundation is not imposing anything
Bitcoin Devs are not doing anything along these lines
Bitcoin miners wont allow anyone to go against the best interests of network.

It's a closed book. please stop all this stupid banter.
Pages:
Jump to: