Pages:
Author

Topic: [LEAKED] Private Bitcoin Foundation Discussions On Blacklisting, more (ZIP dump) - page 11. (Read 61169 times)

Activity: 279
Merit: 250
Yes they pay Gavin, but that's only because we accept their changes and update our software. If we stop doing that and fork QT, the need for them diminishes quickly.
Gavin doesn't need BF to get paid. He could open a ReDonate account tonight and get enough people to sign up to support whatever salary requirement he has.

I like you, let's be friends.

Question is whether or not Gavin would be willing to break away from the Foundation. Hint: the answer is [probably] no.
Maybe this is all part of Gavin's scheme.

He's said before that he is in favor of a heterogenous network composed of multiple implementations - perhaps Bitcoin Foundation's job is to piss us all off and get people to take a serious look at btcd and Bits of Proof.

I wonder what it would take to make Armory work with btcd instead of bitcoind...

Well, I am always reminded of this post by satoshi:

I don't believe a second, compatible implementation of Bitcoin will ever be a good idea.  So much of the design depends on all nodes getting exactly identical results in lockstep that a second implementation would be a menace to the network.  The MIT license is compatible with all other licenses and commercial uses, so there is no need to rewrite it from a licensing standpoint.

Although there are so many scenarios Satoshi could not have been expected to plan for. I've always been a fan of alternative implementations although they must be maintained and tested with utmost care and precision.
Activity: 661
Merit: 500
Paging Satoshi for cleanup on aisle 7....
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Yes they pay Gavin, but that's only because we accept their changes and update our software. If we stop doing that and fork QT, the need for them diminishes quickly.
Gavin doesn't need BF to get paid. He could open a ReDonate account tonight and get enough people to sign up to support whatever salary requirement he has.

Question is whether or not Gavin would be willing to break away from the Foundation. Hint: the answer is [probably] no.
Maybe this is all part of Gavin's scheme.

He's said before that he is in favor of a heterogenous network composed of multiple implementations - perhaps Bitcoin Foundation's job is to piss us all off and get people to take a serious look at btcd and Bits of Proof.

I wonder what it would take to make Armory work with btcd instead of bitcoind...
Activity: 476
Imagine Bin Laden is still around.

Anyone playing the bin Laden card as an argument for why Bitcoin should be debased and debilitated can be safely dismissed.

You're dismissed.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

I would not donate to an effort led by Gavin.  I do not believe that he has the mindset to lead a unique and important effort such as Bitcoin.  That is not to say I don't think he's a good guy or lacks skill or whatever.  He's just not the right guy for the  job in this case.

The reason I say this is that the first thing out of his mouth at the SJ 2013 'state of bitcoin' presentation was the standard faire 'we must rapidly innovate or be left behind' sentiment that permeates the thinking in the valley.

I would not say that this is necessarily true or false in the case of Bitcoin, but it certainly needs to be carefully considered and not taken as a standard and obvious given as might be the case with lesser software systems.

My personal feeling is that Bitcoin had a huge potential just as it was/is, and by far the most critical focus should be to make it rock solid and defensible against all potential attacks even if we have yet to witness them.  This is very much the opposite of adding various bells and whistles.

Worse yet, my interpretation of the direction of the project is that the 'defense' is to build in and/or retain constructs necessary  to comply with the interests of more powerful entities.  I am certain that this acquiescent defense will be a mistake in direction and will end in failure.  The shame of it would be that Bitcoin probably has the basic architecture to survive in a very hostile environment.  Barely.  Giving up a position of strength is a bad move in my opinion.

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer

Truly, they work for him.

legendary
Activity: 1400
I like Peter Todd's response the most:

When you are chair of a position you have to accept that you no longer are speaking for yourself, especially when you are specifically talking about an idea positively and in relation to setting official policy. In bureaucrat speak, that's promoting an idea, and given his other posts he's promoting it pretty heavily.

You know I mentioned this debacle today to someone I know who is a high-profile government bureaucrat. They read jdillon's initial post and their response was pretty blunt: the fact that this blew up as quickly and as big as it did by itself indicates that Mike doesn't know what he's doing.
An important part of not being disorganized on the inside is accepting common principles - there is rough consensus that fungibility and privacy is important and that blacklists and coin taint are bad ideas. Given that the first few times the idea has come up it's been thoroughly shot down a good committee chair would put their personal opinions aside, and work with that consensus to figure out how to best implement it into policy that was accepted by the community and achieved the goals of the community. Instead Mike is pushing a very minority opinion and is wasting his time and credibility.

Now if Mike did want to fix this situation he could do so very easily: Just say that while his personal opinions differ, as chair he accepts that the community is strongly opposed to any form of blacklist, redlist or whatever is the latest name applied to them, and in his official capacity will respect that and will honestly work towards policy that reflects those desires.

I think it's time for Mike to reconsider his role. Even if the redlisting thread was just a thought experiment/discussion, he should have known better. The Foundation (and Mike) have done quite a bit in the past to piss off the community, but I think these most recent events could pose a real problem for the Foundation moving forward.

In the past most threats against the Foundation have been idle (imo), but even now I get a very bad feeling in my stomach about this. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing the BF forums get DDoS'd, defaced, among other things. Given the poor standing of other notable members  (see: Peter Vessenes), the future of the Foundation is very fragile. Yes they pay Gavin, but that's only because we accept their changes and update our software. If we stop doing that and fork QT, the need for them diminishes quickly. It would be in their benefit to remember that.

And while I do believe there is a certain level of overreaction here, there is no doubt Mike (and others) are in support of this idea--whether or not they are willing to openly admit it anymore is another question. Redlisting was always going to happen, question was who was going to push the idea and implement the software. Never did I ever think we would see something like this from the Foundation who has claimed to champion the fungibility of the protocol.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer

you are out of the topic . The truth is Laden bought weapons using USD not bitcoin ,so why not ban USD worldwide ? Because it's not money's fault .
+2 bitcents:
If he'd been using bitcoin, he'd have been found sooner.  Not to mention bitcoin transactions take technology, modern electronic communication and connectivity... all things he was forbidden to use and forbidding others around him to use.  From a practical perspective, this terrorist funding angle is vulnerable to accusations of being a false premise, or worse yet, a theoretical fear floated to grab authority.  It is fine to discuss it, but why be surprised when it invites severe criticism?  It borders on the trollish.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
I am to the point where I would take a serious look at a codebase released from a group of people I trust to evolve the protocol in a healthy direction which rectifies some of the deficiencies.  gmaxwell, retep, and adam3us come to mind.

Ideally releases from the more desirable codebase would track and inter-operate with releases blessed by the Bitcoin Foundation.  Until they didn't.

You already have a codebase released from that group, the one at http://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

If it is changed in a way that is seriously objectionable, as opposed to minor disagreements about engineering tradeoffs, believe me, you will see alternative releases from myself and many others pop up.

The way I envision this is that a separate repository holds the source code, but it exactly matches the 'Bitcoin Foundation' one (for lack of a better term.)  Releases would come off of it and be distributed via a different channel.  The implementation of the protocol would be the same of course.

There would be several goals:

- People could express their interest in either Mike and Gavin's conception of Bitcoin by taking the 'official' release, or alternately, express their support for the philosophical principles of a different set of developers by taking from the alternate channel.  There would be no difference in function, but it would be a good way to gauge community sentiment.

- A distribution channel would be primed, tested, and already in use if there came a point when the differences exceeded the 'minor disagreements about engineering.'

---

I am not aware of any other project which has a construct such as I've described, but Bitcoin is a bit unique in the open-source world in that

- there are some real and deep philosophical differences about how monetary systems work (and don't work.)

- there is a large amount of value riding on the solution and it's trajectory, not to mention some significant socio-political considerations.

- consequences of a mis-step in terms of protocol direction would be very difficult to back out of and would leave a lot of residual baggage in the block chain.

Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Blacklisting is so stupid, soon enough the government will make you register your name and contact info with each btc address.
Activity: 15
Does this alert thing do what I think it does? It looks as if it sends the user a message to upgrade with a link? If this is the case and there was a hard fork wouldn't the guy with the key control the upgrade path of those who weren't paying attention to recent on goings? It would take advantage of users ignorance.

BF is absolutely useless private club. They answer regulator questions? Why to talk to govs, when they are dead in future with their monetary system?

Why they hide their conversations? Maybe they also should close the bitcoin code?

I will completely stop using official client when centralized shit will be added. I already don't like alert keys trojan. Who owns keys? Who will protect owner from external pressure of interested parties?

You will not stop the crime with centralization, but kill bitcoin while crime will grow. Crime is a standalone system out of Bitcoin.

Stop spread the FUD about terrorism. Bin Laden and Al-Kaida were created by CIA. Almost every "evil dictator" US fighted with was created by CIA. They created evil and now they scare us by it. How Bitcoin is responsible for that? Fuck the binladen, fuck the US.

US invaded into Afganistan and control biggest fields of poppy. They spread drugs around the world. How Bitcoin is responsible to this? Why Bitcoin should submit its features to US authorities who fuck the world in the ass?

You know what? Governments are the real crime. Stop speak to them. Fuck them off. They will eat themselves in the end.
Activity: 19
It seems like for a lot of people involved in bitcoin, there's a need for drama all the time.  Talking about issues and possible solutions is not a reason to freak out.  And just because people might not agree with you on something doesn't mean they're the spawn of satan. 

I'm a big believer in btc but there sure are a lot of people in this community who seems to always have something to scream about.  Chill out.
legendary
Activity: 938
BF is absolutely useless private club. They answer regulator questions? Why to talk to govs, when they are dead in future with their monetary system?

Why they hide their conversations? Maybe they also should close the bitcoin code?

I will completely stop using official client when centralized shit will be added. I already don't like alert keys trojan. Who owns keys? Who will protect owner from external pressure of interested parties?

You will not stop the crime with centralization, but kill bitcoin while crime will grow. Crime is a standalone system out of Bitcoin.

Stop spread the FUD about terrorism. Bin Laden and Al-Kaida were created by CIA. Almost every "evil dictator" US fighted with was created by CIA. They created evil and now they scare us by it. How Bitcoin is responsible for that? Fuck the binladen, fuck the US.

US invaded into Afganistan and control biggest fields of poppy. They spread drugs around the world. How Bitcoin is responsible to this? Why Bitcoin should submit its features to US authorities who fuck the world in the ass?

You know what? Governments are the real crime. Stop speak to them. Fuck them off. They will eat themselves in the end.
Activity: 10
If bitcoins become somehow confiscable because of this meassures, _the_ gold 2.0 will be dead.
Real bitcoins are like cryptonite to super-cleptocrats..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102
Activity: 532
Merit: 261
­バカ
Reading this is disappointing for a number of other reasons...

Taint tracking is precisely why we need ZeroCoin or CoinJoin or whatever. Do it now.
[...]

I don't think that the Bitcoin Foundation (as a whole) is going to encourage ZeroCoin nor CoinJoin as they are looking for the approval of the government. Although I believe some members of the Foundation (like gavin and gmaxwell) have good intentions, I'm still very sceptically of the real intentions behind it.
Activity: 364
-As for Mike Hearn, I contacted him directly about Inputs.io and the fact that it was promoted by the administrator of this site.  I suggested he make announcements somewhere else and no longer support Bitcointalk.org because it was defrauding new users with the ads.  he told me to "go away" and hire my own programmer to fork the code.

I know this is a bit of an aside, but what has the admin of this site got to do with any of us who use it?

If you don't like it, leave. God knows I've got issues with the way this place is run but it is what it is. Even so, whatever suspicions you or someone else may have (me included), there is no evidence. That's a slippery slope you're asking for and is just mob rule.

Not sure what any of this has to do with forking the code?

Agree that maybe the foundation should have read only forums for Joe Public. It's not like anything posted there is confidential because anyone can pay a few bucks to read it. I think you'll get a handful of trouble makers picking up on every little thing (like today) but at least you can't be accused of doing things behind people's backs.

Also, whenever people throw words like cheerleader around they're just name calling and insinuating rather than discussing facts. You're better than that so please don't stoop that low.

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
Their biggest problem is to have a members only forum. They should open it up to non-members, just maybe restrict commenting to members only if they wish.
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
That is exactly what the core devs are looking at already. CoinJoin, BIP32 and Luke-Jr's test to incentivize unique address use (which comes for free with BIP32 - just need to get more wallets to implement it!!).

Can you elaborate on incentivizing unique address use? I hope you are referring to single use addresses, not re-using the same address permanently.

I think he means this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/miners-time-to-deprioritisefilter-address-reuse-334316
Pages:
Jump to: