Pages:
Author

Topic: List of motherboard that require shorting pin A1 B17 for pci-e 1x to work. - page 4. (Read 99769 times)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
Hello,

Does anyone know if an Asrock 970 Extreme4 needs pin shorting? I'm struggling with using it with powered risers (1x to 16x).  Huh
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
ECS A780GM-A Version 1.1 is NOT on this list.

All 3 PCI-E slots work just fine without a jumper.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
I'm running an Asus H81M Plus and it needs the 3 1x slot pins shorted to run 4 GPUs
Activity: 252
all these seems old chipsets.

how about new chipsets? some also require pin short?
Activity: 163
Merit: 100
so its best to avoid these motherboards right? I would think a list where they are NOT requiring a shortage would be even better.
Activity: 560
hi guys
im using 4x7970 on z87a mobo with 3220 haswell
i want tot add 5th card but not detecting by windows
im using powered risers and x1 slots are ok  the second x16 slot not recocnizing gpu
Activity: 18
Using Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 and can't get all of the 1x slots working.

It has the following ports
x16 x1 x1 x16 x1

both x16 slots work fine with with risers with no shorting required.
the far right x1 slot works with no shorting required.

the middle 2 1x slots I can not get to work at all, even if they are the only slots in use it will never detect the cards, even with shorting, anyone have any ideas?

Ideally I would like a 4x GPU rig using this mobo, so I just need one of the slots to work
Activity: 71
I was wondering if anybody try below 2 mobo,

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev.1)
asrock z68 extreme7 gen3

with ashrock i can only use 3 GPU (port 1,4,6). in the manual it says if anything plug in port 2, will disable all other port. In this case wich port i need to short to enable all port? all my card connected with power raiser.

port 2 and 5?

or port 1,3,4,5,6?

with gigabyte mobo , its took the 4 GPU first time, but didn't try with 2 pciex1 port yet. waiting on the x1 to x16 raiser. i found this mobo doesn't always turn on after a power cycle. anybody have any experience with these mobo?

thanks

asrock z87 killer lga 1150
also use PCI-E 2.0 settings for 16x ports if using extension PCI-E 3.0 does not work with low quality affordable cables ))

Hey mate just wondering how you are going with the asrock z87 killer, what slots your shorting etc, how many cards you are using? got pics of the setup?

I just ordered this motherboard with 4x R9 280X GPUs and got a 7950 spare from my gaming rig so hoping to get 5 cards up and running in it.

Thanks mate
Activity: 708
Merit: 502
asrock z87 killer lga 1150
also use PCI-E 2.0 settings for 16x ports if using extension PCI-E 3.0 does not work with low quality affordable cables ))
Activity: 59

MSI 990FXA-GD65V2  (at least mine anyhow)
Activity: 411
Merit: 101
Tested with both x16 and x1 slots. It doesn't work for me on either of them: the PC won't boot up ( actually won't do anything ). When i remove the wire between A1 B17, shut down pc, then try again, it works. Haven't heard anyone having this problem. What should i do ?. I mean, my motherboard AsRocK H77PRO4-M Socket 1155 won't work even with this method.

However, i have to admit it works, without any wire, if i connect only 1 GPU, in any x1 or x16 slot. If i connect multiple GPUs, it doesn't work anymore. If i don't use risers, the PC works with multiple GPUs plugged in, so it's deffinitely because of the x1 slots/risers.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
Does this only work for the x1 slot or is it possible to use this technique for x16 slots too ? ( eg: if you have only x1 to x16 risers, insert an x1 to x16 riser into the mobo x16 slot - with the risers x1 pin and the riser's x16 into the GPU )

AFAIR it should work.
Activity: 411
Does this only work for the x1 slot or is it possible to use this technique for x16 slots too ? ( eg: if you have only x1 to x16 risers, insert an x1 to x16 riser into the mobo x16 slot - with the risers x1 pin and the riser's x16 into the GPU )
Activity: 133
Res Et Non Verbum
tested
990fxa-gd80
990fxa-gd55
990fxa-gd70

all require shortening pin
after that work like a clock Smiley

Yesterday I purchased 3 990fxa-gd80 v2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130649) we're talking about the same MB?

I'm planning setting up 6 gpu's on each.. do you think was a good choice?

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002
I'm using a 1x-16x riser with an HD 6950 on an XFX 750i Intel 775 DDR2 Motherboard. The OS(Win7x64) recognizes the card and I'm able to mine when I use a 16x-16x riser. I don't need to short the card or use a dummy plug. So, since I also purchased a 1x-16x riser (as I have an additional PCI-E slot, though it's only 1x) I figured I'd give the card a try in the 1x slot to see if I can still mine on the card. The card boots, but Win7 doesn't even show the card in the device manager.
I ran into the exact same issue and it took me some time to work it out. I had 2 GPU's working in a rig. I then put them on 16x risers and they still worked great. Then I tried them on 1x risers and, while the OS displayed on them (Windows), they were not recognized as 3D cards and didn't show in the device manager. After lots of trial-and-error, the answer was simple: once you've filled the new slots with your GPU's, re-install the ATI/AMD display drivers. All of the cards will be detected.
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106
tested
990fxa-gd80
990fxa-gd55
990fxa-gd70

all require shortening pin
after that work like a clock Smiley
Does anyone know if this:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68MA-G45--B3-.html
can handle 4 gpus with or without shorting?

It has z68 chipsets and i want to use it with 4x 7950 cards. Does anyone have experience with z68 chipsets?
It is very cheap available for only 50€ thas around 65$ (including taxes)
Activity: 14
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5, Finally got it stable with 6 cards

Lots of problems with the mobo at first, some cards would work with 1x extenders and some wouldn't and never got it to detect 6 cards at the same time. Ended up solving it by shorting A1 to B17 in the 16x_2 and 8x slot and it seems to have fixed it (16x_1 slot might have to be shorted as well but got a card in that slot that seems to work in any motherboard and slot no matter what, pins are shorted on the card itself perhaps?) 4x and 1x slots working by default. Using flexible 1x extenders in all slots.

It seems most Gigabyte motherboards doesn't like PCI-E riser even for x16 to x16. I myself is still trying to figure out how to get Gigabyte motherboard to find all of my 7970 connected to all the 4 x16 slot. I'm now able to see 3/4 Graphics card on riser with Xubuntu when i run the command "aticonfig --lsa" and out of the 3 only 1 seems to be working as the other 2 is not getting any temperature, core GHz, mem GHz, etc information.

I tried shorting pin A1 to B17(PCI-E x1, don't think this would work for me as I'm trying to get x8 and x16 slot on my motherboard to work with riser) and A1 to B48 (PCI-E x8) and A1 to B81 (PCI-E x16) each done separately.

Am hoping you would share exactly how you manage to get your PCI-E x16 slot to work. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP7. Thanks in advance...

Apparently the problem was from the riser cable not from the Gigabyte motherboard or graphics card. I tried it on my ASUS motherboard with ASUS graphics card and out of 4 riser cables only 1 is working without problem the other 3 is bad. The guy from cablesaurus offer to refund me if I send the bad cables back.
Activity: 14
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5, Finally got it stable with 6 cards

Lots of problems with the mobo at first, some cards would work with 1x extenders and some wouldn't and never got it to detect 6 cards at the same time. Ended up solving it by shorting A1 to B17 in the 16x_2 and 8x slot and it seems to have fixed it (16x_1 slot might have to be shorted as well but got a card in that slot that seems to work in any motherboard and slot no matter what, pins are shorted on the card itself perhaps?) 4x and 1x slots working by default. Using flexible 1x extenders in all slots.

It seems most Gigabyte motherboards doesn't like PCI-E riser even for x16 to x16. I myself is still trying to figure out how to get Gigabyte motherboard to find all of my 7970 connected to all the 4 x16 slot. I'm now able to see 3/4 Graphics card on riser with Xubuntu when i run the command "aticonfig --lsa" and out of the 3 only 1 seems to be working as the other 2 is not getting any temperature, core GHz, mem GHz, etc information.

I tried shorting pin A1 to B17(PCI-E x1, don't think this would work for me as I'm trying to get x8 and x16 slot on my motherboard to work with riser) and A1 to B48 (PCI-E x8) and A1 to B81 (PCI-E x16) each done separately.

Am hoping you would share exactly how you manage to get your PCI-E x16 slot to work. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP7. Thanks in advance...
Pages:
Jump to: