Pages:
Author

Topic: List of motherboard that require shorting pin A1 B17 for pci-e 1x to work. - page 6. (Read 99769 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Asus F1A75-V EVO does also
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
ASUS P5Q DELUXE also needs this fix
Activity: 566
Merit: 500
ah ha! helps if you read the manual... installing a card in the second pci x16 slot disables the 3 x1 slots... ungh...

No shorting needed on a GA-965P-DQ6 !
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Think. Positive. Thoughts.
The Foxconn Destroyer needs both x1 and x16 slots to be shorted to use extenders (x1-x16 or x1-x1).
No luck... must be a bad cable. I have some new ones coming Monday. Will post back again later.
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
Does the slot on the board have to be shorted or can I sort the pins on the end of the cable?

I figured the shorting is why my board doesn't see a card (Gigabyte 965P-DQ6)? I'll post more specific results tonight.

Either or should work. Also if you insert the jumper on pcie x1 slot, as you slide an adapter in the slot, the wire gets secured.
Does the slot on the board have to be shorted or can I sort the pins on the end of the cable?

I figured the shorting is why my board doesn't see a card (Gigabyte 965P-DQ6)? I'll post more specific results tonight.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
The ASRock Z75 Pro3 1155 does not require short pinning of the PCIe x 1 slot, but I do not receive the correct mhash/s.

Hmmm... I would get the same hash rates using a 7970 on either a x1 or x16. Although, I did need to reconfigure (such as workload, size, cpu or gpu ram, bfi, etc) the 7970 when it was newly installed in the x1 slot, but I'm assuming you already did that?  PCIE bus clock probably isn't the problem, you have more than enough bandwidth to do mining on x1 pcie.
The ASRock Z75 Pro3 1155 does not require short pinning of the PCIe x 1 slot.
Shouldn't this thread be transformed into a wiki (and organized by platform/socket)? Probably be little easier to find a specific board/cpu/manufacturer, just an idea  Grin.

EVGA P55 Micro:

-x1 needs shorting, and powered riser; unstable when booting into Win 7 64 (using a 6850 or a 7970)
-Legacy PCI slot with riser to PCIE x16 and a powered riser makes system unstable and locks, won't reach Win 7 64 login.

Wiki, Well I'm trying to update OP with new board contribution.

Are you sure you need powered extender for, what 2-3 cards ?  It is recommended when going 5 gpu and above.

If I use a video card on the x1 slot, it apparently won't be detected unless it is a powered riser (while other slots are populated with gpus), I do not know why that is. I use a powered riser on the PCI slot just to be cautious, given that it provides lower wattage at the slot.

I am going to be testing out my pcie x 1 slot with an adapter & a card.

Would any type of overclocking while using the pcie x 1 slot, fry the pcie x 1 slot and/or the gfx card?

What are you guy's thoughts?

I am taking extreme caution before preceding.

Of course, this question is for the slot being shorted and not shorted.

I tested running only a 7970 on x1 of my P55 micro, I was able to raise from stock 925 MHz up to 1200 MHz without any issues. Although, needless to say, once you start increasing clock, wattage will increase, it should not be an issue if the card is receiving enough power (and good cooling).

Ok, fantastic, ty. I was worried as stated here in the thread, few come back saying this or that fried.

Are you using a powered riser? or a combo of x1 to x16 followed by a x16 to x16 with a molex power adapter?
Shouldn't this thread be transformed into a wiki (and organized by platform/socket)? Probably be little easier to find a specific board/cpu/manufacturer, just an idea  Grin.

EVGA P55 Micro:

-x1 needs shorting, and powered riser; unstable when booting into Win 7 64 (using a 6850 or a 7970)
-Legacy PCI slot with riser to PCIE x16 and a powered riser makes system unstable and locks, won't reach Win 7 64 login.

Are you sure you need powered extender for, what 2-3 cards ?  It is recommended when going 5 gpu and above.

If I use a video card on the x1 slot, it apparently won't be detected unless it is a powered riser (while other slots are populated with gpus), I do not know why that is. I use a powered riser on the PCI slot just to be cautious, given that it provides lower wattage at the slot.

Would any type of overclocking while using the pcie x 1 slot, fry the pcie x 1 slot and/or the gfx card?

I tested running only a 7970 on x1 of my P55 micro, I was able to raise from stock 925 MHz up to 1200 MHz without any issues. Although, needless to say, once you start increasing clock, wattage will increase, it should not be an issue if the card is receiving enough power (and good cooling).

Ok, fantastic, ty. I was worried as stated here in the thread, few come back saying this or that fried.

EVGA P55 Micro:

donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

EVGA P55 Micro:

Are you sure you need powered extender for, what 2-3 cards ?  It is recommended when going 5 gpu and above.

EVGA P55 Micro:

Activity: 22
Do I need this shortcut trick to plug card into full 16x slot with only 1x to 1x riser on my 890FXA? I guess so (to let mobo know that it can use just 1x mode) but you know better to be safe then soory so I am asking first Smiley
Activity: 50
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5, Finally got it stable with 6 cards

Lots of problems with the mobo at first, some cards would work with 1x extenders and some wouldn't and never got it to detect 6 cards at the same time. Ended up solving it by shorting A1 to B17 in the 16x_2 and 8x slot and it seems to have fixed it (16x_1 slot might have to be shorted as well but got a card in that slot that seems to work in any motherboard and slot no matter what, pins are shorted on the card itself perhaps?) 4x and 1x slots working by default. Using flexible 1x extenders in all slots.

I realise this post is a bit dated but I hope the OP will see it.

I would really appreciate some more detail here. I have two of these Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 boards and I am damned if I can get anymore than 3 5850's working on each board. Each board acts exactly the same. That is after trying all of the above and anything else that I can think of.  ie 16 -> 16 extenders 1 -> 16 extenders powered and non powered, jumpers and no jumpers. It simply will not see the cards in the "lspci" command.

Specifically what version of the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 are you talking about and which version of Bios are you using?? I have the current Bios Version F8 installed. My board is marked as "V 1" ie it is the version that came preflashed for the AMD Bulldozer chip whereas I believe the earlier boards did not. I am starting to wonder if there may have been other changes made as well

I am trying to use Xubuntu 11.04 64b, SDK 2.4 with 11.6 drivers and CGMiner 2.3.2 -4.2.

Thanks

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
EVGA 790i SLI Ultra needs shorting on 1x and 16x slots.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Activity: 546

• MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3

Also the MSI 990FXA-GD80 needs it.  I presume this is a successor to the 890.  I just got the 990 and tried the fix and it worked.  My x1 slots were not working before the fix either, but after the fix bot the x1 and x16 slots worked.

Now I have a few more ribbons to solder... I see the suggestion of shorting with B18 because B17 simply needs to see ground.  And seeing ground always will be ok for the mobo (is that so?).  For ease of soldering tomorrow I will solder B17 to a molex connector.  That should be just as good right?  My ribbons have molex power supplies to the 5 power wires so each ribbon has a free ground on the molex for me to use.
Pages:
Jump to: