Pages:
Author

Topic: List of motherboard that require shorting pin A1 B17 for pci-e 1x to work. - page 5. (Read 99769 times)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10
when is shorting required ?

I have MSI Z77A-G45 and i can see 6 GPUs in Win7 x64 with 2 of them with driver errors (code 43).

Do i need Shorting for these 2 slots?
Or is shorting required just to see them in the system settings?

Which ATI Cat do you use for 4+ GPUs ?
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
I shorted A1-B17 on the 16x slots for 16x-1x riser on the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z mobo successfully.  Thanks to the OP for the original article.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
I'd fight Gandhi.
MSi K9N Neo-F V3

Needed to short both 1x slots to get each one working. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2020681
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3
requires pin shortening
added

I gotta say i just found this thread ...once again in the crypto world is a never ending journey of learning

To ask a couple of $64,000 dollar questions that have been driving me nuts

When trying to run 4 cards on risers (MSI 990fxa GD80) the 4th card will drop off after a while and long story short  u have to drop it back to the mobo to get the rig stable ...  u end up with best case 3 on non-powered risers and 1 on the board ... (as they get older 2 on board and 2 on risers etc ) I take it that there is no enough extra power from the mobo getting to all 4 cards risers add another level of overhead to this problem Huh

And finally Long story short powered risers will fix this bullshit Huh

This being true (please say its so ) i should be ok with a shorted A1->B17 and powered  16-> 1x riser on the 1 x slots on the gd 80 and also be able to get 6 gpu's (7950's) per board ??

Thanks in Adavance
donator
Activity: 746
Merit: 502
Looking for advertising deal
Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3
requires pin shortening
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Think I got it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5noexk5yr3r9j42/2013-04-06%2017.48.11.jpg
The damage to the slot that the man is holding in his hand confused me.

That's how I did it; be aware that when you stick the card in it tends to warp the pins with insertions in them.
Activity: 67
Think I got it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5noexk5yr3r9j42/2013-04-06%2017.48.11.jpg
The damage to the slot that the man is holding in his hand confused me.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002
Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na
Asus M4N98TD Evo requires shorting pin A1 - B17 for PCIe 1x  Smiley
Works great BTW.
I have an AMD X6 1055T on it, running at 0.9 Vcore and 1000MHz (multiplier @ 5x). Very cool and energy efficient.

My M3A32-MVP Deluxe board died, so I had to use another board.
donator
I'm somewhat confused by the information I've read after reading this thread. First, some information.

I'm using a 1x-16x riser with an HD 6950 on an XFX 750i Intel 775 DDR2 Motherboard. The OS(Win7x64) recognizes the card and I'm able to mine when I use a 16x-16x riser. I don't need to short the card or use a dummy plug. So, since I also purchased a 1x-16x riser (as I have an additional PCI-E slot, though it's only 1x) I figured I'd give the card a try in the 1x slot to see if I can still mine on the card. The card boots, but Win7 doesn't even show the card in the device manager.

So, here are some questions:
  • Will I need to short the riser or use a dummy plug?
  • How am I to short an extender from the motherboard side instead of the GPU side? Judging by the picture above, I have to remove the cables that are already attached to the extender and short it that way? Why do I have to destroy my brand new riser to make it work?
  • Am I shorting the extender at the motherboard or am I shorting the extender at the card?

What picture are you looking at ? It's obvious the cable is entirely separate, (taken from a cat5 cable.)

On destroying brand new risers .... I MEAN ,,, no destruction needed but these things are ~4$ each.

you are shorting, end of the story, It doesn't matter where you short, you can do the above directly on the motherboard slot.
Activity: 67
I'm somewhat confused by the information I've read after reading this thread. First, some information.

I'm using a 1x-16x riser with an HD 6950 on an XFX 750i Intel 775 DDR2 Motherboard. The OS(Win7x64) recognizes the card and I'm able to mine when I use a 16x-16x riser. I don't need to short the card or use a dummy plug. So, since I also purchased a 1x-16x riser (as I have an additional PCI-E slot, though it's only 1x) I figured I'd give the card a try in the 1x slot to see if I can still mine on the card. The card boots, but Win7 doesn't even show the card in the device manager.

So, here are some questions:
  • Will I need to short the riser or use a dummy plug?
  • How am I to short an extender from the motherboard side instead of the GPU side? Judging by the picture above, I have to remove the cables that are already attached to the extender and short it that way? Why do I have to destroy my brand new riser to make it work?
  • Am I shorting the extender at the motherboard or am I shorting the extender at the card?
donator
legendary
Solid core 24 AWG , solderinh ?

Problem?  The rig seems happy enough.  It was just a dab to get it to stick to the staple.
donator
Solid core 24 AWG , solderinh ?
legendary
Okay, shorted successfully using 4 mini staples soldered to two cut molex cable wires and successfully activated 2x PCIe 1x slots with risers on an eVGA 680i motherboard.  Yay!  If you have mini staples they're perfect for this, although once you stick the card in it bends the normal wire and messes up the slot permanently for use without the short.  Not really a big deal though.
donator
How do you guys usually do the short?  Just cut it out of the ribbon and then connect them with a wire?
You see the picture in the OP ? This red thing is a wire,

Use a solid core cat5 braid and insert in behind the pin of either the extender or the slot itself.

How do I keep it from making contact with the other nearby pins?
Look at it a little longer,
Every pin are isolated in their own little compartment, stick the wire in there. (On the motherboard side, not gpu)
legendary
How do you guys usually do the short?  Just cut it out of the ribbon and then connect them with a wire?

Use a solid core cat5 braid and insert in behind the pin of either the extender or the slot itself.

How do I keep it from making contact with the other nearby pins?
donator

legendary
Pages:
Jump to: