Pages:
Author

Topic: List of motherboard that require shorting pin A1 B17 for pci-e 1x to work. - page 3. (Read 99769 times)

Activity: 708
Merit: 502
How are you running the 5 r9 290s? I have 4 of them and have nothing but trouble... They are totally unstable. I'm about to RMA them for r9 280x's which I know run great.

i run them stable at 820 mhash each 24/7, what you mean trouble?

Do you use default BIOS settings? Any jumpers on PCI-E? How many Kh/s do you get per card?

almost default - usung PEG2 for pci-ex 16x with 16x extensions
any jumpers - you mean PCI-ex shortening A1 B17 pins - yes.
How many Kh/s - 820 each
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Hello,

Does anyone know if an Asrock 970 Extreme4 needs pin shorting? I'm struggling with using it with powered risers (1x to 16x).  Huh

yeah would be nice to know ...
i got two different opinions ... some say "yes" some say "no"

a question all around ....
when i use a dumy plug i don't have to short the port or are this two different things ?!

which wire-type is the best .. any suggestions? any cheap source to get one?
broken usb cable perhaps?! or anything else?

This info was like gold for one of my boards! This guy on another forum went out of his way to show me how he did it so i will return the favor!

Here is the cable im using! Its sitting on the manual for my gd80.. You notice how there are some strands I have pointing downwards and the rest is pointing straight ahead!

First off the cable is from an old power supply! Just clipped of the molex connectors and stripped a quarter of an inch or so of plastic to show the bare wire.

Then i pulled 8 strands or so and pointed them downwards! The rest that were pointing straight i cut off!!

The total length should be about 3inches or so.. I then cut off the other side and stripped and pulled 8 strands and twisted while the rest i cut!

Here is the resulting cable!

Then ends are the 8 strands of wire twisted! That will fit in the pcie hole so you can short it!

Here is a nice photo i found online showing which holes on the pcie slot to put the ends in!

The picture next to it shows the 1x pcie cable inserted while the shorting cable is there!

I hope that helps you on your quest! Be careful not to insert in the wrong pcie hole! Do it while power supply is off!
Double check everything and then power it on. See how on my finished cable there is a bunch of hanging wire on one of the ends .. besides the twisted thread!   Dont do that! Make sure you cut off all the cable you are not using on the ends. Dont wanna short something you had no intention of shorting! I went back and fixed mine!

Zedicus

Activity: 462
Merit: 251
Hello,

Does anyone know if an Asrock 970 Extreme4 needs pin shorting? I'm struggling with using it with powered risers (1x to 16x).  Huh

yeah would be nice to know ...
i got two different opinions ... some say "yes" some say "no"

a question all around ....
when i use a dumy plug i don't have to short the port or are this two different things ?!

which wire-type is the best .. any suggestions? any cheap source to get one?
broken usb cable perhaps?! or anything else?
Activity: 104
Merit: 12
How are you running the 5 r9 290s? I have 4 of them and have nothing but trouble... They are totally unstable. I'm about to RMA them for r9 280x's which I know run great.

Do you use default BIOS settings? Any jumpers on PCI-E? How many Kh/s do you get per card?

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

Hey. I'm planning on getting this board for my first mining rig, and was wondering if you could tell me how many cards you're using on the board?

I'm planning to make a rig with 7 cards, and the ASRock Z87 Killer (Fatal1ty) does have the slots, but I can't find any information regarding whether or not it supports having all slots active.

Thanks!

I have 7 cards setup - works ok, but requires a monitor to boot. 5 cards setup on same MB - does not require monitor connected - not sure what this problem connected to (

Hey mate just wondering how you are going with the asrock z87 killer, what slots your shorting etc, how many cards you are using? got pics of the setup?

I just ordered this motherboard with 4x R9 280X GPUs and got a 7950 spare from my gaming rig so hoping to get 5 cards up and running in it.

Thanks mate

sorry so late ) I have 3 rigs with 7 5 and 5 r9 290 cards attached

will post photos if you still need `em - post questions it`s awesome MB imho
legendary

You likely need to set them to Gen1 bus speed. Leave the top 16x at Gen2 and set bottom 2 to Gen1. This is how your motherboard would be configured for a 3x Crossfire/SLI setup and it is the configuration it needs to be able to detect all the cards and power them properly. You aren't using much bandwidth on the bus when mining so it is fine to set them to lower speed. This is the same reason we can get away with plugging cards into the x1 slots. I highly doubt you need to short them.

Hmm.. went to advanced and all it shows is pcie GEN3    Auto or disabled is the choice? .. Cant really specify which card its just one choice i guess for all?

EDIT : DISABLED IT.. The 4th card didnt get detected  ..

legendary
^^ ok i will give that a shot. Ill report back if i find that it works.
^^ @Vyker

Whoa .. i didnt realize you can short the 16x pcie slots..

The last 2 16x pcie slots on my board arent working with risers attached.. (msi z77a-gd80)

I read somewhere that i can only use then number 3 and 6 slots or the 1 and 4  slots at the same time for the 1x pcie slots so im using 3 & 6.

Im using the  3 and 6 with the check marks and ive tried shorting with no go for the others.

Is there something in bios i should look for! Whats PEG Gen" to "2"?

Does it apply to gd80? Can it get me past 3 cards. I would be ok running 5 at this point.

https://i.imgur.com/pW2gZ4x.jpg

You likely need to set them to Gen1 bus speed. Leave the top 16x at Gen2 and set bottom 2 to Gen1. This is how your motherboard would be configured for a 3x Crossfire/SLI setup and it is the configuration it needs to be able to detect all the cards and power them properly. You aren't using much bandwidth on the bus when mining so it is fine to set them to lower speed. This is the same reason we can get away with plugging cards into the x1 slots. I highly doubt you need to short them.
legendary
^^ @Vyker

Whoa .. i didnt realize you can short the 16x pcie slots..

The last 2 16x pcie slots on my board arent working with risers attached.. (msi z77a-gd80)

I read somewhere that i can only use then number 3 and 6 slots or the 1 and 4  slots at the same time for the 1x pcie slots so im using 3 & 6.

Im using the  3 and 6 with the check marks and ive tried shorting with no go for the others.

Is there something in bios i should look for! Whats PEG Gen" to "2"?

Does it apply to gd80? Can it get me past 3 cards. I would be ok running 5 at this point.

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
Z87-G45

You can run 6 cards on this.

Leave slot 4 empty and short slot 7 and that should be all.

In terms of the BIOS, change the "PEG Gen" to "2" in Advanced> PCI.

See here ... http://www.overclock.net/t/1455347/help-losing-my-f-head-mining-rig-r9-290-x-7-on-win-8-1-but-not-a-single-working-one#post_21513603

and here ... https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/z87-g45-6-gpu-rig-working-398955

ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer needs shorting.

Hey. I'm planning on getting this board for my first mining rig, and was wondering if you could tell me how many cards you're using on the board?

I'm planning to make a rig with 7 cards, and the ASRock Z87 Killer (Fatal1ty) does have the slots, but I can't find any information regarding whether or not it supports having all slots active.

Thanks!

I got 5 up and running on it. Tried to do 6 but something with the dual PSU setup was screwing up the output. Either that or shorting the very top 1x bus confuses the motherboard as it expects to send video from the 16x main bus. You could maybe do 6 if you skipped that top 1x bus. I didn't fool around with it too long though as I figured I'm already maxing out a 1600w GPU with 5 cards. I got another 5 GPUs here that I'm gonna do the same with. One tip for this board, you have to set the timings for the PCI-E busses manually in the UEFI in this order: 2nd gen, 1st gen, 1st gen under chipset configuration. This is the configuration for 3-way Crossfire/SLI. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out because anytime I'd add more than 1 card to the thing it wouldn't give me any output, yet it claimed to be able to handle 3x Crossfire/SLI. A quick peek through the manual showed the correct bus speeds for the 3-way. Even though we aren't running the cards this way, you need to trick the board into thinking that you are. Having them set to auto doesn't work. Other than that this is a great board. I just bought another one to set up the rest of my GPUs with. Shorting the pins is easy if you use twisted pair from inside a CAT5.

For a first build 5x GPUs is plenty. I was like you and wanted to go all out, planned to run 6 off this system with dual PSUs, but over the past month of experimenting with hardware I've found that 5 GPU + 1600w PSU is the perfect setup. After 5 GPUs it starts to get unstable and finicky. Might as well just build another rig at that point.

Hope this helps. Smiley
Activity: 28

Thanks!
legendary
How about the MSI Z77-GD80? Supposed to be like the Z77A-GD65 but with thunderbolt!

Cant get more than three cards detected! Im using pcie x1 slot #3 and #6 and then x16 pcie in slot 2!

I was hoping to do 6 cards..

Activity: 432
Merit: 500
gigabyte 990xa-ud3

To get all 5 cards working, the middle x16 slot needs to be shorted. All other slots work without any shorting at all.

If you short out pin A1 and B17 on the x16 slot the motherboard will not power on. You MUST short out pin A1 and B81 - B81 is the second to last pin at the very end of the slot.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
hi guys
im using 4x7970 on z87a mobo with 3220 haswell
i want tot add 5th card but not detecting by windows
im using powered risers and x1 slots are ok  the second x16 slot not recocnizing gpu

Have you tried shorting the pins for the 1x slot card? It will more than likely need it done.
Activity: 14
hi guys
im using 4x7970 on z87a mobo with 3220 haswell
i want tot add 5th card but not detecting by windows
im using powered risers and x1 slots are ok  the second x16 slot not recocnizing gpu

Try older drivers.
Pages:
Jump to: