Author

Topic: [Mining OS] SimpleMining.net - Manage Your GPU farm the easy way! (30 days free) - page 462. (Read 835480 times)

Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
Most likely it is not capable of providing that many lanes of PCIe to support 8+

I have two H81 BTC Pro boards but idk if buying two $25 things just to add one more GPU per is worth..
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
[
Crap I don't believe mine is powered which will, in my experience with this bleeding edge hardware, will cause issues..

I don't recall the listings for the splitters I purchased mentioning anything about them being powered, which is why I was surprised to discover it was powered when the first one arrived and is also why I mentioned here.
Thanks for the info - I'll post when mine gets here. Should be sometime this week.

I have a 7 card rig on a H81 BTC mobo, it is powered via molex OR sata, but i can only use 2 out of 3 slots -- and this board somehow doesnt go beyond 7 cards in W10 or in Linux - smos.

It must be something to do with the mobo. This MSI Z170A M5 Gaming with all the right BIOS may well be the reason it can support so many cards.
[
Crap I don't believe mine is powered which will, in my experience with this bleeding edge hardware, will cause issues..

I don't recall the listings for the splitters I purchased mentioning anything about them being powered, which is why I was surprised to discover it was powered when the first one arrived and is also why I mentioned here.
Thanks for the info - I'll post when mine gets here. Should be sometime this week.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
[

how many cards can you stick into the splitters - its has 3 slots - did you use all three?

Yes, I used all three slots. I have 6 risers plugged into 6 PCIe slots on the board, the 1 to 3 splitter plugged into the 7th PCIe slot, and 3 risers plugged into the splitter. Note that the 1 to 3 splitter is powered, I believe it has a Molex connector.

how many cards can you stick into the splitters - its has 3 slots - did you use all three?

Yes, I used all three slots. I have 6 risers plugged into 6 PCIe slots on the board, the 1 to 3 splitter plugged into the 7th PCIe slot, and 3 risers plugged into the splitter. Note that the 1 to 3 splitter is powered. I believe it has a Molex connector.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Also, this board can handle more than 7 cards. Cheesy
Will it work up to 8 or can it go to 9 or 10?

All I can say is that my boards are stable for weeks at a time running 9 RX 470 4GB cards. I haven't tried 10 cards because my rigs have been so damn stable with their current setup, I didn't want to risk introducing new issues, especially with mining difficulty increases as of late, since the prospect of obtaining additional RX 470s at a reasonable price appears to be minimal at best.

I have a vague recollection of Tytanick mentioning that smOS can handle up to ten cards, but he needs to update scripts before it can handle more, though I may be way off base with my recollection.

Are you using that modified BIOS that's floating around or did you tweak it yourself?

Are you using a 1->3 "splitter" or a M.2 slot adapter?

I am using the latest MSI BIOS. It was my understanding from my research that the "hacked BIOS" was created before MSI introduced the latest BIOS and was thereafter obsolete.

I am using the 1 to 3 PCIe splitter. It comes in a blue box, and it looks like all of the Amazon and eBay vendors are selling the same product.
Awesome, thanks for the info! Already have one of those on the way and I'll be buying two of the M.2 adapters since they're so damn cheap and trying those as well.

Are you using that modified BIOS that's floating around or did you tweak it yourself?

I am using the latest MSI BIOS. It was my understanding from my research that the "hacked BIOS" was created before MSI introduced the latest BIOS and was thereafter obsolete. I didn't make any other changes to the BIOS other than selecting the settings noted in both of our posts.

I am using the 1 to 3 PCIe splitter. It comes in a blue box, and it looks like all of the Amazon and eBay vendors are selling the same product.

All I can say is that my boards are stable for weeks at a time running 9 RX 470 4GB cards. I haven't tried 10 cards because my rigs have been so damn stable with their current setup, I didn't want to risk introducing new issues, especially with mining difficulty increases as of late, since the prospect of obtaining additional RX 470s at a reasonable price appears to be minimal at best.

I have a vague recollection of Tytanick mentioning that smOS can handle up to ten cards, but he needs to update scripts before it can handle more, though I may be way off base with my recollection.

Activity: 116
Merit: 10
I am getting very inconsistent hashrates in smos using Claymore. I have 570s that hash at ~29 MH. In Claymore in smos I am getting a very inconsistent readout jumping back and forth from 29MH and 19MH (and sometimes somewhere in between). Anyone else experience this?

Also, I'd like to try sgminer for eth, does smos support that? I only see sgminer for cryptonight, pascal, and nicehash in the beta dashboard.
Activity: 63
hi, today i received my m.2 to pci-e adapter and tried them out on two of my cards, when they are pluged in 2 of the 4 remaining cards that are on the regular pci-e slots go nuts, the cooler jumps for a minute to 100% and repeats that every couple of minutes...when i plug all the cards back to the pci-e slots the coolers work like they should..any ideas?

asus prime h270 and 6x 570 elpida

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172584561470?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
For those waiting on the info for the MSI Z170A M5 Gaming board and 7x GPU support I finally have it working on both of my boards.

1) Make sure you're running the latest BIOS!
2) Enable 4G
3) Set PCIe support to "Auto" - DO NOT MANUALLY SET TO GEN1. THIS CAUSES MAJOR ISSUES
4) Enable onboard graphics startup as first! I believe this is changing "PEG" to "IGD" or something in the Advanced BIOS
5) Plug your monitor into the ONBOARD graphics
6) Use either simpleminer-RX-v1093-4.11.rc8-16.60-enableexe0ANDips0.imgc or simpleminer-RX-v1093-4.11.rc8-16.60-enablerc60.imgc (sorry, I don't remember which I used!)

My 14x GPUs have been stable all night long!

Glad you were able to get this mobo working with 7 cards. Your instructions are substantively identical to mine from over a month ago (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18423032 and https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18756984). Sorry for not pointing this out earlier, but other commitments (i.e., yard work) have been taking up all of my free time as of late. For whatever reason, there were a handful people who simply couldn't get their mobo to work for  5+ cards, so don't be surprised if people report back that your instructions don't work for them.

Activity: 112

Dumb question:

I have 2 x MSI 480 8GB X graphics cards, getting around 24 mh/s out the box. Wanting to overclock to get closer to 29 mh/s. I presume I do this via the overclock settings in simple mining rather than on my windows dual boot?

I changed the core on simplemining to 1095 and the memory to 2000 and saw no increase in hash-rate...
You need to save original bios, modifu under polarisbios editor (copy 1500 strap to all above) save, flash, reboot, and then try to overclock memory to 1980-2100 - you will have much more like 28MH.
If you want 29+ then you need custom timing strap for memory (not dummy copying) .

Perfect, cheers.
legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1096
Simplemining.net Admin
how can i connect to internet on simplemining os ?
i am using mobile modem or wifi
I dont support any wifi or modems Smiley
Only Normal Ethernet cable.

Dumb question:

I have 2 x MSI 480 8GB X graphics cards, getting around 24 mh/s out the box. Wanting to overclock to get closer to 29 mh/s. I presume I do this via the overclock settings in simple mining rather than on my windows dual boot?

I changed the core on simplemining to 1095 and the memory to 2000 and saw no increase in hash-rate...
You need to save original bios, modifu under polarisbios editor (copy 1500 strap to all above) save, flash, reboot, and then try to overclock memory to 1980-2100 - you will have much more like 28MH.
If you want 29+ then you need custom timing strap for memory (not dummy copying) .
I have a problem. I have 6 rigs but only 2 of them has trouble.

GPU1 hangs in opencl call says always. what should i do ?
Lower the overclock on that card.
Activity: 448
Merit: 88
I have a problem. I have 6 rigs but only 2 of them has trouble.

GPU1 hangs in opencl call says always. what should i do ?
Activity: 441
Merit: 252

With multiple jobs tugging at my time and a significant adversion to downtime, I just couldn't afford the extra time needed to continue tuning.  I had so many GPUs come in that I didn't have a test bench anymore! With 5 z87 boards maxed out at 7 cards each that were super stable, I was just going to see if I could find a few more. Thanks again, you've given me the added problem of having to find a few more gpus in order to max out my z170a boards!

Now, if I could only get risers to stop dying on me.  Between some junky new USB risers and the old ones I have from 2013, it seems like anytime I have to move or reboot a system, there's a riser issue. I've been meaning to say something for a bit but I wanted to give a shout out to the guys from Miningparts. I just bought a bunch of new risers from them and they're my go to when a gpu starts acting flakey.

Thanks Decay!

We stand by our gear too if anything goes bad. We're happy to replace defectives.
Jump to: