Pages:
Author

Topic: Monero (XMR) Speculation thread - page 17. (Read 50218 times)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250
August 12, 2014, 09:54:54 AM
Im considering putting a little 0.1 BTC on there before the price goes up again. This high DRK price with low XMR price situation is ridiculous and it's only a matter of time before we break from it. XMR is pretty much destined to take DRK's place.

So where will the price go and when? Speculate plox.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 12, 2014, 09:20:34 AM
The Monero bloat argument is just a rehash of the old bitcoin bloat argument.

It's still a non-issue that's used as FUD by the nonbelievers.

I totally agree and consider it not bloat, but apart of the design.

Has a nuclear aircraft carrier got bloat because of all the pipes, wires, controls systems and dangerous fuel needed to run the reactor? It's not really bloat if it can sail non stop for 25 years vs an aircraft carrier that may be simpler with a diesel engine, but has to refuel throughout wartime degrading a country's military capabilities.

Is it really bloat if it can hide your wealth and purchase history from a third party?
legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 2790
Shitcoin Minimalist
August 12, 2014, 09:14:56 AM
The Monero bloat argument is just a rehash of the old bitcoin bloat argument.

It's still a non-issue that's used as FUD by the nonbelievers.
legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 2790
Shitcoin Minimalist
August 12, 2014, 09:03:55 AM
Cheap is relative. If you really believe the price will go up 10x anytime soon, then perhaps it is cheap.
legendary
August 12, 2014, 08:40:31 AM
Im considering putting a little 0.1 BTC on there before the price goes up again. This high DRK price with low XMR price situation is ridiculous and it's only a matter of time before we break from it. XMR is pretty much destined to take DRK's place.

Actually Monero is already as high as DRK.

The supply will be about 14,400,000 in four years, because this is when the fast release burns out and the 4 million coins after that will take a while.

So to invest you should plan for this four year scenario at least.

So Monero is currently worth about 50,000 bitcoin.

I believe Monero is worth easily 10 times that, however that is a big chance.

Please do not make the mistake thinking Monero is cheap, I really don't think it is. It's already number 5 on the marketcap charts.

I'm not sure how many DRK will be mined, I don't think it's a lot though.

TL:DR; Monero is current worth 50,000 bitcoin, don't invest thinking you're getting cheap coins.
Activity: 322
August 12, 2014, 08:37:32 AM
i was considering buy 0.0034 of bitcoin (100% of my budget XD) in monero.
Do you think it will be better to wait a bit to come down to 0.0033 or buy now at 0.0035?

I have no idea as I am not a wizard but, personally I think it cannot get any lower without hands starting to get nervous (panic buying in this case). I think 0.0025 is the super panic buy trigger but 0.0033 is the "guys we should be buying by now" trigger. It depends on how much you want to risk by waiting more to buy more cheap XMR.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
August 12, 2014, 08:34:47 AM
i was considering buy 0.0034 of bitcoin (100% of my budget XD) in monero.
Do you think it will be better to wait a bit to come down to 0.0033 or buy now at 0.0035?
Activity: 322
August 12, 2014, 08:26:26 AM
Activity: 283
August 12, 2014, 08:20:23 AM
Monero needs to break this downtrend first before we can rise up again..

EDIT:

Same line, only with support drawn @ 0.00334. Closing around 15-16 augustus, personally I think we will break upwards or move sideways, very little chance of breaking downwards.

Any other opinions on this?

Yeah, we will do a breakout. Less than a week.

Also, BR is trying to keep the price down, he knows he's good at manipulating so he uses that to buy in low. Anything else is smoke and mirrors baby, smoke and mirrors.
legendary
August 12, 2014, 02:13:10 AM
I'm so tired of this bloat FUD!

Is it bloat if the space is actively being used to ensure anonymity? Bloat is stuff that you don't want, as if the space is being used for stuff that we should get rid of.

It isn't bloat, the blockchain is 100% the way it is to ensure anonymity, something no other network can offer.

CryptoNote anonymity is the worlds first decentralized, digital cash. This requires space, and isn't really bloat.

Damn, the FUDsters will try anything!

If you don't want to worry about the space requirements, go back to paypal!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 12, 2014, 01:58:58 AM
However, if you make a thread to speculate about Monero, I'm free to add my speculation there.

I agree on this point. Both positive and negative views should be welcome. A speculation thread is not a promotion or cheerleading thread.

Activity: 50
Merit: 0
August 12, 2014, 01:52:56 AM
Wow, wtf? This is the dumbest thing I've heard. You say you are concerned with usability then dismiss a world class GUI for monero and instead switch the topic to bloat? Seriously? Pretty obvious you are either a troll or an idiot. Or both.

When a few months go by without a significant improvement to usability, interest will wane.

There is this crazy little thing called a brand new written-from-scratch-with-extensive-usability-testing GUI that was revealed last week to rave reviews and while a release date has not been announced more than a few months not a very good guess.

Personally, I'm watching Monero very closely.

Seems unlikely given that you didn't know about the GUI.

I'm less concerned with a GUI and more concerned with bloat. A GUI is a trifling thing compared to that. You want applause for delivering the most basic thing that a cryptocurrency could have? When I said usability, I meant real world practicality. Even if you guys released a perfect GUI tomorrow, I wouldn't shift my investments just for that.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
August 11, 2014, 11:42:27 PM
This is kind of what it feels like to hold Monero.

legendary
August 11, 2014, 11:28:26 PM
How anyone could trust anything but pocket change to closed source crypto is beyond my ability to imagine.

The vast speculative upside to XMR is predicated on maintaining a level of trustworthiness no less than that of the bitcoin project.  By virtue of learning from the lessons of that project, it should be feasible to raise the bar.  Thus far the development team has been up to the task.

I didn't get any interest in XMR from contacts at Two Sigma, but that may change when there is more liquidity - I don't think they hold any crypto at all institutionally.  I'll be pitching the hedge value of XMR to a couple of small desks that presently do bitcoin, next week.  

But it is really good for the coin, if I tell investors about it?  Concentrated accumulators don't help dispersion, but I think a few deep pockets can help the coin:  I would personally like a floor and low volatility appreciation, and my theory is that working in that direction will make it more attractive to a wider audience, and hence add to dispersion as demand audience enlarges.  It means I don't get to accumulate as much, but what I do hold is likely to appreciate faster, and with more enduring value retention.  

Volatility seems to be decreasing naturally, although you must assume other people are telling their "friends" about Monero too.

The more people that are introduced to the coin early on will only help to dampen the price fluctuation in my opinion.

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
August 11, 2014, 11:27:26 PM
@othe you are losing your time discussing with this troll (Brilliantrocket), I did the same mistake on the rpietila altcoin thread, this troll just keeps repeating the same thing again and again, he is a troll or a completely retarded.
Well, someone who is "completely retarded" has made better gains than you'll ever see in your life. And in the end that's what it all comes down to. I started posting on page 35 of the 2600 page Darkcoin thread. Let's just say, my life has never been better Smiley

Brilliantrocket,
What you're posts have done is generate some very well thought out and illuminating responses that will inform all about the current state as well as the potential of Monero.  I thank you for that.  I started investing in Monero before I fully understood it.  The more I learned the more I invested.  The other thing that is impressive is the way the devs and those close to Monero's development respond.  The later is most important because it leads me to believe that Monero's potential will be realized.  You don't have this belief and are waiting for more proof.  That is fine and perfectly understandable.

If you want to understand bloat I would recommend reading the recent discussion in rpietila's alt thread.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
August 11, 2014, 11:18:21 PM
@othe you are losing your time discussing with this troll (Brilliantrocket), I did the same mistake on the rpietila altcoin thread, this troll just keeps repeating the same thing again and again, he is a troll or a completely retarded.
Well, someone who is "completely retarded" has made better gains than you'll ever see in your life. And in the end that's what it all comes down to. I started posting on page 35 of the 2600 page Darkcoin thread. Let's just say, my life has never been better Smiley

Good for you, now stopping bashing Monero on the Monero threads please.
Unlike some others , I have the courtesy to stay out of your main thread. However, I feel that creating ten plus threads on this forum is arrogant. And I have a passionate distaste for arrogance.

I didn´t know you are a Mod of this forum.
Nor did i know its against the TOS of this forum.

This just shows how narrow minded you are.
People prefer to have clean threads with info and not 1 thread with 2500 pages and too much info to filter.
But you can´t accept other peoples opinions anyway so you offload your trashtalk and ruin ever thread with it.

Great work, you are such a valuable addition to human mankind. Get a life.

You're free to make as many threads as you wish, and I'm free to make my voice heard in the way I choose. Because I have decency, I don't say a single negative thing in your main thread. However, if you make a thread to speculate about Monero, I'm free to add my speculation there.
Activity: 532
August 11, 2014, 11:12:54 PM

Good for you, now stopping bashing Monero on the Monero threads please.
Unlike some others , I have the courtesy to stay out of your main thread. However, I feel that creating ten plus threads on this forum is arrogant. And I have a passionate distaste for arrogance.

I didn´t know you are a Mod of this forum.
Nor did i know its against the TOS of this forum.

This just shows how narrow minded you are.
People prefer to have clean threads with info and not 1 thread with 2500 pages and too much info to filter.
But you can´t accept other peoples opinions anyway so you offload your trashtalk and ruin ever thread with it.

Great work, you are such a valuable addition to human mankind. Get a life.
Activity: 826
August 11, 2014, 11:11:36 PM

So you came along at a good time. I did the same buying LTC with my BTC in early 2013. But things move fast...better to have an open mind my friend. Open your mind to Monero Smiley
Outside of BTC and 2 or 3 alts before I learned about shitcoins and the pump and dump cycle, I have only purchased one cryptocurrency. Could it be luck? I was arguing for the necessity of an anonymous cryptocurrency before Monero was a twinkle in thankful_for_today's eye.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
August 11, 2014, 11:08:17 PM
How anyone could trust anything but pocket change to closed source crypto is beyond my ability to imagine.

The vast speculative upside to XMR is predicated on maintaining a level of trustworthiness no less than that of the bitcoin project.  By virtue of learning from the lessons of that project, it should be feasible to raise the bar.  Thus far the development team has been up to the task.

I didn't get any interest in XMR from contacts at Two Sigma, but that may change when there is more liquidity - I don't think they hold any crypto at all institutionally.  I'll be pitching the hedge value of XMR to a couple of small desks that presently do bitcoin, next week.  

But it is really good for the coin, if I tell investors about it?  Concentrated accumulators don't help dispersion, but I think a few deep pockets can help the coin:  I would personally like a floor and low volatility appreciation, and my theory is that working in that direction will make it more attractive to a wider audience, and hence add to dispersion as demand audience enlarges.  It means I don't get to accumulate as much, but what I do hold is likely to appreciate faster, and with more enduring value retention.  

legendary
August 11, 2014, 11:05:30 PM

So you came along at a good time. I did the same buying LTC with my BTC in early 2013. But things move fast...better to have an open mind my friend. Open your mind to Monero Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: