Pages:
Author

Topic: Monero (XMR) Speculation thread - page 14. (Read 50216 times)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250
August 13, 2014, 09:54:10 AM
Remember, these guys are most likely paid for their posts. These services exist these days. It can also be a bought campaign, which sadly doesn't mean as much, as a group of individuals posting against Monero.

It is what it is - no matter what, very encouraging too:)
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
August 13, 2014, 09:41:17 AM
The only guy that everyone should listen to is rpietila. Rpietila is for president!
For the Moon president! And everyone who think that I'm a scam/troll is a rpietila hater!

Hm, if I am included in "everyone", that leads to an interesting contradiction... Cheesy

But really, even Bitcoin is not suffering this kind of campaign. It really strengthens my conviction that we are doing things right.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
August 13, 2014, 09:38:28 AM
The only guy that everyone should listen to is rpietila. Rpietila is for president!
For the Moon president! And everyone who think that I'm a scam/troll is a rpietila hater!
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
August 13, 2014, 09:33:21 AM
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
August 13, 2014, 09:23:48 AM
They're just troll/spam accounts that for some reason have now adopted a strategy of posts that are just as poorly written as the previous I-hate-XMR posts but are now I-love-XMR. Why they are doing this (other than increasing post count) I have no idea.

They must have an anti-XMR agenda and they are trying to distract us from honest discussion, is how I see it. It's enough for me to start up a few sockpuppets and go populate the DRK threads with stuff like this.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 13, 2014, 09:21:52 AM
They're just troll/spam accounts that for some reason have now adopted a strategy of posts that are just as poorly written as the previous I-hate-XMR posts but are now I-love-XMR. Why they are doing this (other than increasing post count) I have no idea.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 13, 2014, 09:17:26 AM

As you noticed,
As we all noticed, you are the best speaker in this whole forum! So we are trust everything what you saying.

I love how rpietila explains his opinion. He is the best one and nobody can't argue with that.
Yeah! Have no idea how people can be disagreed with him. It is forbidden.

EDIT: My previous post was a bit harsh.

Guys, please tone down the rpietila and Monero fanboyisim, it gives the wrong impression for our coin Monero.
August 13, 2014, 09:09:43 AM
Activity: 14
August 13, 2014, 08:56:28 AM
As you noticed,
As we all noticed, you are the best speaker in this whole forum! So we are trust everything what you saying.
August 13, 2014, 08:40:44 AM
I love how rpietila explains his opinion. He is the best one and nobody can't argue with that.
Yeah! Have no idea how people can be disagreed with him. It is forbidden.
Activity: 13
August 13, 2014, 08:18:50 AM
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
August 13, 2014, 05:05:50 AM
Rpietila and other observers are kind to share their research, findings, and opinions with the community - this is how I feel. If you disagree, I am sorry.

How do you feel this way when he can't even answer a simple question like how is XMR less volatile than BTC as he claims?

You would think as a gifted analyst he would be able to answer this right away instead of avoiding the question altogether.

I did not see your question. And even if I did, I "pick my battles" (choose which questions to answer) by the following criterion:

Does the answering to the question give me an excuse to deliver a message or drive home a point, intended for the general audience?

If it does not, I make a new post or new thread. If it does, I reply to the previous one.

As you noticed, this is "avoidance of the question" but hey if your time was worth as much as mine, you also would not assume a responsibility of responding to Internet trolls for free, just because they so request.  Cheesy
kbm
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
August 12, 2014, 09:24:39 PM
Monero was launched by thankful_for_today, not by us. It only really started to become "ours" on April 30th, and on May 7th the crippled hashing code was fixed and released (2.5 weeks after launch).

On May 4th when the network was 20 000h/s (the the crippled miner was in use). At that stage mining on one of my dedicated servers ran at around 11h/s, and an Amazon EC2 c3.8xlarge slice ran at just under 50h/s. Thus the network speed at that stage was the equivalent of 400 Amazon c3.8xlarge slices - considering a newly registered EC2 user can run 50 spot instances (spread across the regions) without increasing their limit, this is still within what we'd expect. And lest we forget that leading up to that point, Monero's hash rate hovered at about half of that.

But wait! There's more!

Block reward stayed consistent and exactly in line with the published mathematics.

And the emission curve stayed exactly as expected.

Absolutely nobody had some super-fast miner from the outset. It's plain, simple, and clear to see that there was no unfairness, no cheating.

The situation on the other side of the pond is vastly, vastly different: [1] [2]

I'm bookmarking this post. Visually observing the comparison here should make sense to anyone, especially those who have no prior experience with cryptocurrencies .. whom are looking for solid factual information that's easy to digest. What their choice is .. that's clearly up to them.

I was wondering what set the trend for this insane wave of week-long 'instamined' PoW coupled with a PoS forever after that .. seems this could have been what sparked the idea for it. It showed that people were okay with these types of things happening .. that this was an error that people were willing to let slide. Before that .. I can't think of anything else that was similar. What kind of message does that send to people? Are people still willing to let it slide?
legendary
August 12, 2014, 09:22:38 PM
relevant at this juncture (beyond the stigma for DRK)

"Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

The stigma is the point. Stigmas exist for a reason, which is to punish and deter socially harmful behavior. Fucking up coin launches is not something that can be excused. Even if (and this is a big if) there was nothing fraudulent in this case, merely incompetent, an atmosphere where such things are considered acceptable only opens the door to further fraud (which by its nature is almost always disguised as something, sometimes incompetence).

Coins with bad launches should be shunned and to the extent of their technical merit, if any, relaunched, cloned, learned from to do better, etc.

The fact that DRK is worth several times more than Monero is evidence that you're wrong. You're talking about your ideals, which do not necessarily reflect reality. Personally, I don't give two shits about fairness.

The game is not over. But if DRK in fact continues to be worth far more than XMR you will turn out to be right. Ultimately though, what you personally give two shits about doesn't matter. What matters is what helps or harms adoption over time, ie the growth rate, and any stigma that attaches to the coin, particularly when easily backed up by hard facts including charts, will continue to hurt growth rate more or less forever. Every one of these coins is currently very small in the grand scheme of things, even including XBT, but certainly all the alts.

BTW, I'm not sure DRK is still much bigger than XRM when considering the future capitalization at the current price (which I have argued is a better measure than current cap), given that XMR is less fully mined than DRK. I haven't worked out the numbers though so I don't know.

EDIT: looks like DRK is currently 1.47x more mined out than XMR, so the difference in effective market cap is less than a factor of three.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
August 12, 2014, 09:16:25 PM

The stigma is the point. Stigmas exist for a reason, which is to punish and deter socially harmful behavior. Fucking up coin launches is not something that can be excused. Even if (and this is a big if) there was nothing fraudulent in this case, merely incompetent, an atmosphere where such things are considered acceptable only opens the door to further fraud (which by its nature is almost always disguised as something, sometimes incompetence).

Coins with bad launches should be shunned and to the extent of their technical merit, if any, relaunched, cloned, learned from to do better, etc.

The fact that DRK is worth several times more than Monero is evidence that you're wrong. You're talking about your ideals, which do not necessarily reflect reality. Consider the fact that DRK is worth over $20 million, even though the instamine is well known. Outside of envious trolls and jaded altcoin developers, most people don't care.
legendary
August 12, 2014, 09:03:55 PM

Activity: 60
August 12, 2014, 08:44:39 PM
Great post fluffypony ! It is just insane how fucked up DRK's instant/pre-mine is, when you compare the pictures. Monero had truly one of the best coin launches ever.

Again, great post.

I usually don't like to do this, but...

+100

Excellent post, FluffyPony.
legendary
Activity: 981
Merit: 1005
No maps for these territories
August 12, 2014, 06:52:08 PM
Don´t feed the trolls, ignore them, and continue with the speculation, sirs
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
August 12, 2014, 06:04:18 PM

Interesting.  I'd say it's a sad sign for you to spend so much time here instead of some other thread.  Self-definition by negation is a tough way to live.

I'd say we're all sad for sitting around here wasting our precious lifetimes arguing about literally nothing. Does it really matter what thread you are wasting your precious, God-given lifetime in?

Some questions are just too dumb to be addressed.

You're a fucking idiot.

Priceless Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
August 12, 2014, 05:15:00 PM
Some questions are just too dumb to be addressed.

Rpietila and other observers are kind to share their research, findings, and opinions with the community - this is how I feel. If you disagree, I am sorry.

How do you feel this way when he can't even answer a simple question like how is XMR less volatile than BTC as he claims?

You would think as a gifted analyst he would be able to answer this right away instead of avoiding the question altogether.
Pages:
Jump to: