Pages:
Author

Topic: Monthly average USD/bitcoin price & trend - page 4. (Read 118200 times)

Activity: 175
Merit: 100
I (would like) someone to start an E-Prime thread.
Activity: 722
Merit: 500

E-Prime FTW  Smiley
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
The 300k target is unrealistic expectation.

unrealistic?

It sure isn't incompatible with current facts.

By that definition, we'll only know wether it has been a realistic expectation after the fact.

You probably meant to say: "that 300k target is improbable from my point of view"?
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
I had no idea shaking this tree would wake up so many poop-throwing trolls!   Roll Eyes

What's awesome about bitcointalk?  You can ignore posters.   

rpietile adds value to these boards.  He deduces outcomes based on history and numbers.

If others would like to contribute something other than opinions (i.e. price targets with dates) as rpietile has done (signing his name to his forecasts), I look forward to reading it.

Otherwise, STFU.

Activity: 235
Merit: 102
Now, by applying log-scale and drawing a trendline using the linear regression with least square error, we find that the equation of the trendline is:

-2.8 + 5.2/57(number_of_months_since_Jan_2009).

- Bitcoin went from being a laggard to being overvalued in Nov, 2010.
- Highest overvaluation was reached in June, 2011, when the price was $18.5 on average, but the price trendline was only at $0.70.
- Despite the crash in 2011, actual undervaluation started only in April, 2012 and continued until Feb, 2013.
- The peak of April 2013 saw slight overvaluation, and after the peak, bitcoin has again been slightly undervalued and still is.
- Target price October 2013: $251, Nov: $310, Dec: $382.

More long-term targets:
- $1000: May 2014
- $10,000: April 2015
- $300,000: August 2016.

Do you seriously believe that these targets are achievable? May 2014 is already passed by.

That was written in Oct-13. If you don't recall, $1k was reached in the following month. Reaching $10k by Apr-15 is nothing, and the only reason that I don't bet with people for the outcome, is that simple investing in bitcoins gives me much better odds  Grin

The 300k target is unrealistic expectation.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
$1000 by 2014 it is
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Now, by applying log-scale and drawing a trendline using the linear regression with least square error, we find that the equation of the trendline is:

- Highest overvaluation was reached in June, 2011, when the price was $18.5 on average, but the price trendline was only at $0.70.
- Despite the crash in 2011, actual undervaluation started only in April, 2012 and continued until Feb, 2013.
- The peak of April 2013 saw slight overvaluation, and after the peak, bitcoin has again been slightly undervalued and still is.

More long-term targets:

Do you seriously believe that these targets are achievable? May 2014 is already passed by.

That was written in Oct-13. If you don't recall, $1k was reached in the following month. Reaching $10k by Apr-15 is nothing, and the only reason that I don't bet with people for the outcome, is that simple investing in bitcoins gives me much better odds  Grin
Activity: 154
Merit: 100

More long-term targets:

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Respectfully request June update.

Bumping this awesome thread.
Activity: 317
Hi rpietila,

I would suggest that drawing a trend line through the price is not the best way to do it. A better and simple model that's in the same spirit is that the difference in the logarithm of price is independent and identically distributed Normal. For details, see here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/non-spreadsheet-long-term-predictions-600802

Please let me know what you think.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Is that your house?

Yes, I bought it with the profits afforded by the following of the trendline model last winter Smiley

Very nice. I'm a lot later to the party than you are, but I'm hoping to at least get my (modest) house paid off from following the trend line for one or two more cycles.
Activity: 406
Is that your house?

Yes, I bought it with the profits afforded by the following of the trendline model last winter Smiley

So are you hosting the big 10k bit coin bash? I need to reserve tux.  Grin
donator
Is that your house?

legendary
Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000
Extrapolation doesn't work well on trading.

A quick way to poor house if anyone using this method to trade.

LOL, I must be doing really bad then, having followed the method methodically in the last bubble..

If you are talking trend trading with proper risk management, then yes, it works very well on strong directional market.

Nice building. Is that your house?
Activity: 608
Merit: 509
Well I dunno about YOU (or anyone else here, either... people gotta make their own financial and investment decisions for themselves, of course, and taking ANY "internet advice" of any ONE person's opinion too seriously is never a good idea) but I'm personally not looking at this as "trading" but rather ONLY as possible long-term investment value in a brand-new, nascent technology or industry category.

Day to day?  It's clear that BTC prices (value?) can be all over the map.  Up down up down anything can happen wheee, just like a roller coaster amusement park ride, LOL. 

I've personally only ever paid in the $800-$400 range for each of the bitcoins that I've ever bought (starting around the time it hit $1000+ when I finally woke the hell up and started paying attention to it, LOL).  So that means technically I'm still in the hole, looking at a "losing investment" to date, even though dollar-cost averaging has helped a bit (my average price paid per BTC has gone from $711 when I started to now about $625).

Do I wish I was smart enough to recognize what's going on with all this when it was in the $10-100 range? 
Ummm... duh?  Stoopid question LOL

But does that mean anyone only getting into it NOW has totally missed the boat?
Maybe, but let's hope NOT, if SS's model is correct...?  There's still plenty of room to run!

But, no, it's not "trading"... it's long term committed investment.  At least for me.  And if it all goes bad and tanks to ZERO at least it was a pretty good shot to try and take: it looks like a good decision to me NOW, and even IF it fails to pay off, I won't be sorry for having TRIED.

Just my "two satoshi's" philosophy for today Wink
donator

LOL, I must be doing really bad then, having followed the method methodically in the last bubble..

legendary
Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Update:
https://i.imgur.com/zQTRX1i.png
http://pastebin.com/qpsd3pwM

Pic in the first post is quite outdated. It would be nice if rpietila replaced it with new one.
donator
Here is updated tonico's chart made with R:
Code:
https://i.imgur.com/ycT9ulP.png
Can we get an update?

Official prices for April and May updated. You can see that May average was higher than that of April, so the downtrend is over from this perspective also!

The trend is rising so fast that we are still -0.339 below the trend, with the record being set at -0.446 in 2014-5-19.
Activity: 233
Merit: 101
Here's the right thread for all you need to know about Stephen's (Slippery's) logistic model.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stephen-reeds-million-dollar-logistic-model-366214

Amazing work. And great complement to this thread/model.
Pages:
Jump to: