Author

Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs - page 1986. (Read 2984135 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500
I oppose pre launch public auction, as that means 400 BTC IPO is going into someone pocket  at current prices.

If developers want 400 BTC more, why they also need 15% stake too  (which is 600 million Nem)

Money is used to pay for ecosystem dev, etc. Those stakes are only worth 400 BTC because of our efforts, so what is the problem?

Those stakes are NOT worth 400 BTC because of your efforts as nothing is released. They are worth 400 BTC because of the entire community and supporter.

So let get this straight.

(1) You want 15% of stakes  -- that's 600 stakes for anyone not counting, or 600 million Nem --   (reserved 10% more for future)
(2) You want 66 BTC and several thousand Nxt that were collected during IPO
(3) Now on top of that you want to sell 200 more stakes before the launch for additional 400 BTC (which is essentially a second IPO)
(4) No definite statement made about what you will do with unclaimed stakes.

The whole thing is intended to make 8 "developers" rich very fast before the launch (or just after).

Good luck to "rest" of the community since if developer dump even 50% of the 15% (300 million) it will tank the prices for all of you bought it on Nxt AE, while developers are already rich.  

Activity: 252
Merit: 251
My Head is a Ritz

Actually, i think the rationale behind alot of the "average joe" user goes a bit like this:

1. They read FUD in mainstream media which in often cases only reports on stories that are controversial or negative (on the subject of crypto's that is) - negativity is frequently good clickbait as people are more inclined to express outrage or negativity then they are praise. It's a human trait. (Although granted, Bitcoin deserves criticism in many respects, if it didn't, i wouldn't invest in non-PoW coins, however mainstream media tends to literally spread FUD when it deals with Cryptocurrency, largely through ignorance and a agenda, this leads to outright scorn, not criticism. )

2. The corresponding opinion as a result of mainstream media makes them uninterested or inclined to believe Crypto's are scams or unsafe - and in many respects, they're right. This forum is full to the brim of scamcoins. Even bitcoin, being still rather young, is volatile in terms of valuation -this makes it unsafe to stash away your hard earned savings/money in it.

With the above things in mind, NEM will likely struggle to make it into mainstream adoption unless it's able to market itself like Bitcoin did; on the allure of "money for nothing" or "mining". I for one think a few viral video's and some well placed, timed Facebook marketing is in order - but obviously on more honest and transparent principles.

The biggest thing going for NEM right now is it's rather large initial distribution - this gives it more security, and the more who already join in, the more secure it will become.

There's no way I could put it better than that, especially point #1. Someone in my family hits me up at least once a month saying "Sell all your Bitcoin now, did you read the latest news article". I then have to spend at least 10 minutes explaining to them what is really going on.
Activity: 299
Merit: 250
Let me address some of the issues.

Regarding dev fund, as of today UF already spend 10.5BTC for UI/UX. And the estimate is another 10btc till Aug.
The dev fund is controlled by dev team, the accounts are in first post.

There are/were two main reasons for public auction:
  • get more stakeholder, to have 3000 stakes altogether,
  • get funds for future work (mainly for external expenses),
  • public auction would most likely be held AFTER BETA.

When it comes to me (and I think I express view of other devs too), I'm here for NEM, not for btc.
Whether public auction will be held (I think it should as it was promised), and how many stakes
will there be, is TBD. We will definitely take Eadeqa's fears and doubts into consideration.
(Give us few days time for some internal discussion)

Regarding 15%, keep in mind there is 400/100/100 split there, so it's not only dev but also promotion and ecosystem.

The 10% reserve, is supposed to go for FUTURE projects and it will be LOCKED (using NEM business rules).

How about we use a large percentage of the auction proceeds to benefit Sean's outpost or another non-profit organization.  This would be a great public relations event.

I think it's probably better to use the funds to grow and improve nem, at least initially.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
NEM Enthusiast
My Head is a Ritz

Why wait? NEM has a strong community. Once the open alpha releases, the APIs will be made public shortly after. I hope the community can start building on top of NEM at that point while the core team is still focused on the core blockchain features.

Just wanted to make sure people saw this. I can't wait to see what people come up with before the launch.
I'm currently examining some other cryptos API for practice  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
I am not Dorian Nakamoto.
When it comes to me (and I think I express view of other devs too), I'm here for NEM, not for btc.
Whether public auction will be held (I think it should as it was promised), and how many stakes
will there be, is TBD. We will definitely take Eadeqa's fears and doubts into consideration.

Regarding 15%, keep in mind there is 400/100/100 split there, so it's not only dev but also promotion and ecosystem.

The 10% reserve, is supposed to go for FUTURE projects and it will be LOCKED (using NEM business rules).

Very reasonable IMO. I am an early investor in Nxt and a stake holder in NEM and allow me to chime in my perspective here: Eadeqa's FUD is widely off the mark.

When Nxt was out of the genesis block there were a radom 8 people who held 5% of the total coin each. There were at least two other peope who sent the Btc twice or more and they had 5% of the total coin each too. Comparing to NEM current scheme in which the core dev. get about 2% for doing allmost all the works up to V1 blockchain (which is up to current Nxt blockchain specification as I understand).

I am questioning this Eadeqa's motive. He doesn't care that a random person holding 5% of Nxt but worry so much that a NEM core developer getting 2%? Isn't is suspicisous ? I would demand his explanation before considering any of his FUD request.

As a business owner and a technocrat myself, I believe in hardwork being rewarded. As a regular investor (in other businesses), I am always looking for the clues that the key people of that entities having proper incentives for doing a good job of running the show. As a NEM stakeholder, I think it is the best for NEM that the core dev. and other key peope in marketing and business having a sizeable chunk of NEM so that they have an interest in developing and building NEM for a longer term success.

Add: As a community, we have to treat our developers well. They are NEM founders and deserve to be treated as such.

Please join in and help us build things! Feel free to come on trello.

Unfortunatly I'm not a programer, but I'm good in marketing and selling products.
Also, I'm creativ and dedicated.
My english is good and I have a great german in speech and writing which makes it no problem for me to organize several activities and stay in contact with different people, organizations or bloggers, etc. .
I'm following this coin nearly from the beginning. But at least from next week on, I'll have a lot of time in which I have the intention to introduce myself even more.
So is there anything left I could do for this coin on trello, when the time comes?
It's in the responsibility of us all to make NEM a success and to take care for our community.

You can join the trello promotion board and post ideas on there. You can also propose marketing ideas by sending xtester a PM.
Activity: 275

Very reasonable IMO. I am an early investor in Nxt and a stake holder in NEM and allow me to chime in my perspective here: Eadeqa's FUD is widely off the mark.

When Nxt was out of the genesis block there were a radom 8 people who held 5% of the total coin each. There were at least two other peope who sent the Btc twice or more and they had 5% of the total coin each too. Comparing to NEM current scheme in which the core dev. get about 2% for doing allmost all the works up to V1 blockchain (which is up to current Nxt blockchain specification as I understand).

I am questioning this Eadeqa's motive. He doesn't care that a random person holding 5% of Nxt but worry so much that a NEM core developer getting 2%? Isn't is suspicisous ? I would demand his explanation before considering any of his FUD request.

As a business owner and a technocrat myself, I believe in hardwork being rewarded. As a regular investor (in other businesses), I am always looking for the clues that the key people of that entities having proper incentives for doing a good job of running the show. As a NEM stakeholder, I think it is the best for NEM that the core dev. and other key peope in marketing and business having a sizeable chunk of NEM so that they have an interest in developing and building NEM for a longer term success.

Add: As a community, we have to treat our developers well. They are NEM founders and deserve to be treated as such.

Unfortunatly I'm not a programer, but I'm good in marketing and selling products.
Also, I'm creativ and dedicated.
My english is good and I have a great german in speech and writing which makes it no problem for me to organize several activities and stay in contact with different people, organizations or bloggers, etc. .
I'm following this coin nearly from the beginning. But at least from next week on, I'll have a lot of time in which I have the intention to introduce myself even more.
So is there anything left I could do for this coin on trello, when the time comes?
It's in the responsibility of us all to make NEM a success and to take care for our community.
legendary

legendary
The auction as you may remember emerged as an idea from the community(while NXT AE wasn't around and wasn't even a though) with the purpose to attract a good deal of attention and helping a lot of other people to join before our official launch(There was a high demand for it). After we did the NXT AE listing the auction remained in place because of the same reason and because it is still relatively hard for new people to buy NEM via NXT AE.

There is a big difference. Nxt AE trades are done among users. The auction money will again be controlled  by the "developers". Why so much centralized money controlled by just a few people? That's in addition to 25% Nem that they will control and nothing yet known about what will happen to unclaimed stakes (could be 25% more -- potentially making total 50% controlled by a just a few).

If they want to do auction, how about doing it with their 15% of the stake (which is equal to 600 stakes a very big chunk)

If auction will be held, i hope that collected money will be used for the development process before the launch. In this case we need transparency and puplic vote system to determinate how the money will be spend and who is in charge of the process.

Until V1, funds are in control of the core dev team: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/makoto1337/NEMlogos/master/handout/page3.jpg

I think it is important to do this so that we have clear direction and can get things off the ground. Around V1 launch, the community should step in and start to lead everything.
Activity: 756
Merit: 506
Moderated threads scare me a bit.
Or we need a certain level of generosity I think.

Go see the non-moderated where the shit hits the fan and you will see there is reason Undecided

It was brought in because one person made 550 posts since Friday and almost all of them were directed at NEM.  His posts were full of terrible and annoying english.  99% of it was lies, he impersonated being the leader of NEM, tried to scam money by pretending to be in charge of tokens, regularly claimed to had owned a lot of NEM stakes, annoyed newcomers, et cetera.  He was also preventing, due to his volume and annoying posts, any actual discussion about NEM.

Either the guy is an unemployed lunatic or someone hired him because who frankly has time to make 550+ messages within a few days, of which 500 were directed at NEM?
legendary
I oppose pre launch public auction, as that means 400 BTC IPO is going into someone pocket  at current prices.

If developers want 400 BTC more, why they also need 15% stake too  (which is 600 million Nem)

Im thinking quite same, what is the purpose for collect more BTC ? Otherwise, could we use that money to big marketing campaign or made bounties to new devs ? Or just share all btc with old stake holders  Grin

It's basically designed to collect even more money.

So first we had an IPO (which we are not supposed to call "IPO") that collected 60+ BTC and several thousand Nxt.

Then we will have a second IPO where 200 more stakes are "auctioned" again for even BTC, this time at muh higher prices (potentially 400 BTC).

Double the fun.

Then 15% developer stakes and 10% more reserved for future (25%) -- and no answer on what will happen to unclaimed stakes that could be as high as 25% more (making 50% controlled by "developers")

I agree that things are a little bit too shady now about how the funds will be used. Many things have been decided by "the community", but in the end only a handful of people have had any influence to the decisions made.

I think that the decision making should be much more transparent. More voting on the official NEM forums (there should be more urging here on BTT to register there) and let the stakeholders have a say on how these reserved NEMs should be used in NEM's benefit. I agree on that we need a big fund to promote NEM, but we also need to be much more transparent about the use of this fund.

Also, how will be the BTC collected from the auction be used? Will this go to promotion fund, too?

How funds will be used is explained here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/makoto1337/NEMlogos/master/handout/page3.jpg
legendary

Money is used to pay for ecosystem dev, etc. Those stakes are only worth 400 BTC because of our efforts, so what is the problem?

Everyone has equal opportunity to get more NEM by joining in and helping us build and promote NEM and NEM services: https://trello.com/b/GEWEPSZJ/nem-promotion
Activity: 281

Go see the non-moderated where the shit hits the fan and you will see there is reason Undecided
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Activity: 497
Merit: 501
The costs.  Tens of thousands for flights / hotel rooms / booth rental only to advertise to the hundred or so people who show up, most being from other coins.

That, in bold.

In order to get NEM to have a wider adoption outside of those already familiar with crypto's, things like youtube and facebook would be my first port of call.

I completely agree with this point. IMO Bitcoin would have reached way more people by now if the marketing stopped focusing on the tech side, and focused much more on the usability side.

A lot of people are happy letting banks hold onto their money simply because it's the most convenient option for them, once a crypto is proven to be as convenient as online banking, I think we will see a huge adoption rate (honestly there is no reason that it shouldn't be way more convenient than online banking, there's no BS signup and verification process with NEM).

Actually, i think the rationale behind alot of the "average joe" user goes a bit like this:

1. They read FUD in mainstream media which in often cases only reports on stories that are controversial or negative (on the subject of crypto's that is) - negativity is frequently good clickbait as people are more inclined to express outrage or negativity then they are praise. It's a human trait. (Although granted, Bitcoin deserves criticism in many respects, if it didn't, i wouldn't invest in non-PoW coins, however mainstream media tends to literally spread FUD when it deals with Cryptocurrency, largely through ignorance and a agenda, this leads to outright scorn, not criticism. )

2. The corresponding opinion as a result of mainstream media makes them uninterested or inclined to believe Crypto's are scams or unsafe - and in many respects, they're right. This forum is full to the brim of scamcoins. Even bitcoin, being still rather young, is volatile in terms of valuation -this makes it unsafe to stash away your hard earned savings/money in it.

With the above things in mind, NEM will likely struggle to make it into mainstream adoption unless it's able to market itself like Bitcoin did; on the allure of "money for nothing" or "mining". I for one think a few viral video's and some well placed, timed Facebook marketing is in order - but obviously on more honest and transparent principles.

The biggest thing going for NEM right now is it's rather large initial distribution - this gives it more security, and the more who already join in, the more secure it will become.
Activity: 182
Can anyone explain API in simple terms what is API ? Also Fiat notes have a serial number>
cryptocurrency coins , do they all have a unique serial numbers ?

Application Programming Interface

It tells other people that might use or interface with your system how to do it. So if some other person or entity wants to write some other application, say a mobile app, that talks to NEM (let's say an auction house that uses NEMs Asset Exchange under the covers), it tells them how to write code to interface with it. I'm sure others can do a better job than I did.

As for serial numbers, I think it comes down to your philosophical belief in things like Dark coin. Should people be able to transact anonymously? In a Libertarian sense I say yes, but it would also make black markets and illegal activity much more difficult to police. It's a double edged sword. Again, crypto geeks will probably have a better idea about the block chain and what the analogy is there with respect to a coin being minted. I'd guess not since the denominations are not pre-set.
Thanks i kinda get it, will give it some thought whilst meditating over a football match  Smiley

My Head is a Ritz

Edit: I think my point here is that I talk to a lot of people daily that don't quite get this whole "bitcoin" thing. When I explain things like frictionless transactions and native currency exchanges from buyer to seller their eyes light up and they say "yeah my brother has to wire money to his daughter in university over seas and it's such a total drag! that sounds great". Then give them a way to easily do that from their mobile, and they are hooked and they tell a friend and so on. So maybe while not trade shows (those people already get cryptos right?), we need some sort of community awareness thing. Maybe parents attending university orientations or something... put a booth up next to the Greek community and give them a QR code for the app in the app store Tongue.

The task we are charged with is helping people see the relevance to their lives. Why should I use this if I can just use the money in my pocket today? To show them this has use, and isn't just some funny Internet money. Libertarians get it, and underworld figures get it, and certainly the governments and banks get it. Everyone is fighting for the hearts and minds of the common man who ultimately is the one that decides what is to prevail. What useful functions can it serve for mere mortals? This is a cultural shift. People have to trust it. They can trust it when they can see how easy it is to move between fiat and nem. Banks and governments won't make that easy for us. Things like VirWox / SLL, Cryptsy, and the 10 other sites you need to jump through to move between the two is one of our big headaches. I know my mom would never be willing to deal with any of that. I don't think you can move to people using it exclusively until they feel at ease moving between what they do today and something new. I could be wrong.

I completely agree with this point. IMO Bitcoin would have reached way more people by now if the marketing stopped focusing on the tech side, and focused much more on the usability side.

A lot of people are happy letting banks hold onto their money simply because it's the most convenient option for them, once a crypto is proven to be as convenient as online banking, I think we will see a huge adoption rate (honestly there is no reason that it shouldn't be way more convenient than online banking, there's no BS signup and verification process with NEM).

Activity: 180
Can anyone explain API in simple terms what is API ? Also Fiat notes have a serial number>

Application Programming Interface

It tells other people that might use or interface with your system how to do it. So if some other person or entity wants to write some other application, say a mobile app, that talks to NEM (let's say an auction house that uses NEMs Asset Exchange under the covers), it tells them how to write code to interface with it. I'm sure others can do a better job than I did.

As for serial numbers, I think it comes down to your philosophical belief in things like Dark coin. Should people be able to transact anonymously? In a Libertarian sense I say yes, but it would also make black markets and illegal activity much more difficult to police. It's a double edged sword. Again, crypto geeks will probably have a better idea about the block chain and what the analogy is there with respect to a coin being minted. I'd guess not since the denominations are not pre-set.
Activity: 182
legendary
Activity: 1279
Merit: 1018
WP on the new thread.
Jump to: