Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 228. (Read 442041 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
May 12, 2012, 10:33:26 PM
^Right, the general restrictions are noted - that much I was aware of when creating an account.

My question was whether the specific criteria should be communicated on that sign-up page. I know I for one would have found the information useful.

The only reason I see not to include it is in case the specific restrictions are apt to change from time to time, so it's easier to do it ad hoc as necessary and not also have to update registration-related text.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
May 12, 2012, 10:06:44 PM
It's on the page where you register, twice. You even have to check a mark beside one of them.

and then this at the bottom

May 12, 2012, 09:45:42 PM
Thanks for making more-clear this policy.

It was something I'd questioned when creating an account for the forum.

Perhaps the stipulations should be added to the text on http://bitcointalk.org when creating an account?
Lem
Activity: 78
May 12, 2012, 04:06:16 PM
Yeah this makes a lot of sense as to why I couldn't send messages
I'm wondering if these restrictions just encourage "newbies" to post mundane messages like this one to the newbie channel.  Smiley

Of course they do. Smiley
--
Bye
Activity: 26
Merit: 9
May 12, 2012, 06:04:59 AM
Yeah this makes a lot of sense as to why I couldn't send messages

Oh! It only took me several months to realise this was why I couldn't post!

Given that I've chatted on the irc channel for a few months now, and even contributed to the bitcoin-qt project, it does feel a little odd to be considered a newbie, and I'm not entirely sure how 5 posts on a newbie channel indicates I'm any less a newbie, but I guess there needs to be some way to reduce troll traffic. I'm wondering if these restrictions just encourage "newbies" to post mundane messages like this one to the newbie channel.  Smiley
Activity: 3
May 11, 2012, 05:07:51 AM
I must participate in order to participate. I like that logic--and so do the spammers.  Grin
ar3
Activity: 8
May 10, 2012, 09:51:47 PM
a bit counterproductive i think
Activity: 7
May 10, 2012, 06:57:49 PM
Wow.  I guess I assumed that the old bitcoin forums were the same postcounts and such.  I've been regged for a year, but never needed to ask any questions that weren't answered already, or felt it necessary to make any noise.  Imagine my surprise when I couldn't Post, or send msgs anymore..  WEll, One down, 4 to go.
May 09, 2012, 12:15:59 PM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts.

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also:
- You must have made one post in order to send PMs.
- You need 10 posts to put a link in your signature.

Note that it may take up to 10 minutes for your PM or posting permissions to be granted.

And so begins my journey!
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
May 09, 2012, 12:11:44 AM
Hi. These restrictions are highly counterproductive. That is all.

Counterproductive?  Not really considering some loser has been spamming the boards over 20+ times in less than an hour with the same horrible business pitch.
Activity: 9
May 08, 2012, 11:59:04 PM
Hi. These restrictions are highly counterproductive. That is all.
Activity: 2
May 06, 2012, 09:18:15 PM
hows it going? im DJ from md
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
May 05, 2012, 12:47:37 PM
I need to be whitelisted as soon as possible. Bitcoin is a P2P cryptocurrency. Blocks are generated by hashing random data to try to get the right amount of 0s. The reward that generating a block gives you will decrease over time, starting at 50 BTC. Verification means the person who created the next block recognizes that the BTC someone sent you actually belongs to you and not another person.

Enough proof I understand? I'm another user on this forum, only have this account for anonymity.

You can PM Theymos, the admin on these forums, about the issue.

Go to https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/whitelist-requests-want-out-of-here-15911 to submit a whitelisting request.
May 05, 2012, 11:41:47 AM
I need to be whitelisted as soon as possible. Bitcoin is a P2P cryptocurrency. Blocks are generated by hashing random data to try to get the right amount of 0s. The reward that generating a block gives you will decrease over time, starting at 50 BTC. Verification means the person who created the next block recognizes that the BTC someone sent you actually belongs to you and not another person.

Enough proof I understand? I'm another user on this forum, only have this account for anonymity.
Activity: 6
May 03, 2012, 09:32:45 PM
that seems like a perfectly reasonable solution.
May 03, 2012, 06:55:48 PM
This is the first time that I have come across this form of restriction to stop trolling / spamming etc.
Inconvenient, but understandable.

As Steve Gibson says though "convenience and security are mutually exclusive"

If I really want to engage in the community, then I will jump a few hoops to do so.

This is message #2

See you all soon
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
May 03, 2012, 01:38:02 PM
How does the server intemperate the 4 hours on the site.  Is it by time span of get requests or does it work in sessions?

Time span of get requests, but if they come too fast they don't count.
Activity: 14
May 03, 2012, 01:00:01 PM
How does the server intemperate the 4 hours on the site.  Is it by time span of get requests or does it work in sessions?
Activity: 14
May 03, 2012, 12:50:41 PM
post number 1  Grin
Activity: 6
May 03, 2012, 11:24:51 AM
Long time reader, first time poster. Looking forward to being able to ask the questions I want.
Jump to: