Author

Topic: Official Anoncoin chat thread (including history) - page 111. (Read 530606 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 508
hashrate and price are slowly creeping up Smiley

Q. What will you do with your anoncoin profits once ZC is implemented?
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
Now that the lightweight wallet Electrum has been ported to Litecoin.  I feel strongly that we should start a crowdfunding campaign for a bounty for porting Electrum to Anoncoin.  And the building of an Electrum plugin for Zerocoin.
You would have to find a person who does this. I dont see Electrum as healthy for the network. Im not talking about the trust/security issue.

There's now a lot more sole mobile and lightweight devices users then there is people who have access to their own PC.  Plus sooner rather than later Electrum will be officially in the Android Play store.  
Dosnt matter, its a security/trust issue which i/we (depends what the others think about it) dosnt fit in our threat-model.
Just because most ppl use it, dosnt mean we will make things more vulnerable so its accessable on these "devices".

PS: no offense, i dont visit scumbook links.

No offense taken I'm not really a fan of closed garden social networks much either but the FBook does have a lot of content.  I2p is being developed for Android so why not potentially an Android wallet via I2p.  Instead of an Electrum build blockchain.info code could potentially be ported and exteneded for Zerocoin.  I'm a desktop PC nerd with a big HDTV for a monitor user myself, but for a large majority of people now it's either smartphones, tablets, netbooks and nettops only.  Although the amount of full PC's in use worldwide is expected to still grow by 25% over the next five years.  So it's certainly not the end of the world staying full and paper wallet only.  Or at least until I2p on Android is fully developed?
I have no idea what the current state of I2P @ Android is, you would have to ask [email protected] about it (clearnet address is [email protected]).

If I2P works @ Android then we would need a decentralized way of supplying the wallet, so no centralized things like electrum/blockchain.info or similiar. We would have to patch bitcoinj (as this is used normaly) with ANC and ZC support which seems infeasible. We could however deploy anoncoind for the devices and create a GUI around it. This we development dosnt have to happen twice and if new features come into ANC, the android wallet will also have it.
Im against targeted software (software which only runs on platform or device X), as its a waste of time/ressources.

PS: it is possible to flash most android phone with a real linux system Wink tough normal users wont do that.

What about an Android client that is not a full Anoncoin node, but instead talks (over I2P) to a server that the user sets up on their own PC, or syncs up with it over LAN when the user is at home? This would still be fully decentralized, since it's one of the user's devices trusting another device owned by that same user, rather than trusting a server run by somebody else.

I'm a bit skeptical that the current generation of smartphones can verify blocks containing a lot of Zerocoin mints and spends, and store the required amount of ZC spend proofs. It might require more cores, more flash, better battery technology, etc.

EDIT: And w.r.t. matthewh3's statistic about the number of smartphone users, we should not consider the general Internet population, but instead the privacy-conscious Internet population as our customers, and much more of them would be reluctant to use smartphones for purposes that require good anonymity (for life-or-death situations, etc.) It's become more or less common knowledge among such types that smartphones are a highly opaque hardware and software stack compared to PCs, and much less certain that there are no backdoors... therefore, we would expect the privacy-conscious demographic to be skewed toward more PCs and fewer smartphones.
If its implemented like i said, then ti dosnt matter where the full node resides. all you need is a connection to the RPC. This also would solve the issue with too few ressources wrt CPU/RAM.
I also agree on the look wrt devices, ppl who want ANC+ZC in the future are certainly not the most stupid folks.
Activity: 249
Merit: 250
Graphics are now working on the wiki (thanks Meeh!). Feel free to upload anything you want. Here is an example

Anoncoin press materials
Activity: 298
Ugh Sad I barely have time to follow updated being made here.

hope all is fine! And think of advertising ... I once did the suggestion to go to https://www.fiverr.com/categories/online-marketing/#layout=auto&page=1
and check out some of these people to get Anoncoin to some PR, maybe even outside the darkweb.
Activity: 527
Merit: 500
All devs at the same page, this ever happened??   Wink

zANC  up  BTC down

Grin Grin

@gnosis,   everything go as planned?

@meeh,   any sleep these days?

@K1,   24/7h security guy, keep working   Smiley

I almost forgot,  good to see you Brotroxer!

Regards to all ANC supporters, and have a nice weekend!

Activity: 101
Merit: 10
Now that the lightweight wallet Electrum has been ported to Litecoin.  I feel strongly that we should start a crowdfunding campaign for a bounty for porting Electrum to Anoncoin.  And the building of an Electrum plugin for Zerocoin.
You would have to find a person who does this. I dont see Electrum as healthy for the network. Im not talking about the trust/security issue.

There's now a lot more sole mobile and lightweight devices users then there is people who have access to their own PC.  Plus sooner rather than later Electrum will be officially in the Android Play store.  
Dosnt matter, its a security/trust issue which i/we (depends what the others think about it) dosnt fit in our threat-model.
Just because most ppl use it, dosnt mean we will make things more vulnerable so its accessable on these "devices".

No offense taken I'm not really a fan of closed garden social networks much either but the FBook does have a lot of content.  I2p is being developed for Android so why not potentially an Android wallet via I2p.  Instead of an Electrum build blockchain.info code could potentially be ported and exteneded for Zerocoin.  I'm a desktop PC nerd with a big HDTV for a monitor user myself, but for a large majority of people now it's either smartphones, tablets, netbooks and nettops only.  Although the amount of full PC's in use worldwide is expected to still grow by 25% over the next five years.  So it's certainly not the end of the world staying full and paper wallet only.  Or at least until I2p on Android is fully developed?
I have no idea what the current state of I2P @ Android is, you would have to ask [email protected] about it (clearnet address is [email protected]).

If I2P works @ Android then we would need a decentralized way of supplying the wallet, so no centralized things like electrum/blockchain.info or similiar. We would have to patch bitcoinj (as this is used normaly) with ANC and ZC support which seems infeasible. We could however deploy anoncoind for the devices and create a GUI around it. This we development dosnt have to happen twice and if new features come into ANC, the android wallet will also have it.
Im against targeted software (software which only runs on platform or device X), as its a waste of time/ressources.

PS: it is possible to flash most android phone with a real linux system Wink tough normal users wont do that.

What about an Android client that is not a full Anoncoin node, but instead talks (over I2P) to a server that the user sets up on their own PC, or syncs up with it over LAN when the user is at home? This would still be fully decentralized, since it's one of the user's devices trusting another device owned by that same user, rather than trusting a server run by somebody else.

I'm a bit skeptical that the current generation of smartphones can verify blocks containing a lot of Zerocoin mints and spends, and store the required amount of ZC spend proofs. It might require more cores, more flash, better battery technology, etc.

EDIT: And w.r.t. matthewh3's statistic about the number of smartphone users, we should not consider the general Internet population, but instead the privacy-conscious Internet population as our customers, and much more of them would be reluctant to use smartphones for purposes that require good anonymity (for life-or-death situations, etc.) It's become more or less common knowledge among such types that smartphones are a highly opaque hardware and software stack compared to PCs, and much less certain that there are no backdoors... therefore, we would expect the privacy-conscious demographic to be skewed toward more PCs and fewer smartphones.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
:)
Last time I tried to upload a pix on the anoncoin wiki it complained about folder permission...

Full infographic: (https://cdn.anonfiles.com/1412242631687.jpg)
[posted in https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/ and in /r/cryptocurrency too (already burried  Grin )]

I'll check, and make sure you can upload them. But send me your address to meeh at sigterm, and I will pay you for those images, they where awesome! Smiley
legendary
/dev/null

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

No offense taken I'm not really a fan of closed garden social networks much either but the FBook does have a lot of content.  I2p is being developed for Android so why not potentially an Android wallet via I2p.  Instead of an Electrum build blockchain.info code could potentially be ported and exteneded for Zerocoin.  I'm a desktop PC nerd with a big HDTV for a monitor user myself, but for a large majority of people now it's either smartphones, tablets, netbooks and nettops only.  Although the amount of full PC's in use worldwide is expected to still grow by 25% over the next five years.  So it's certainly not the end of the world staying full and paper wallet only.  Or at least until I2p on Android is fully developed?
legendary
/dev/null

legendary

There's now a lot more sole mobile and lightweight devices users then there is people who have access to their own PC.  Plus sooner rather than later Electrum will be officially in the Android Play store.   
Activity: 290
Simple ANC price view for mobile in BTC, USD, NOK. http://www.digital1.no/crypto.php
legendary
/dev/null
legendary
Now that the lightweight wallet Electrum has been ported to Litecoin.  I feel strongly that we should start a crowdfunding campaign for a bounty for porting Electrum to Anoncoin.  And the building of an Electrum plugin for Zerocoin.

I think it's a little too early for a lot of people to be using non-standard wallet software, especially one that requires trusting server operators. I could be wrong; please try and support your position further Smiley

Most people use mobile or lightweight devices for bitcoin and running a full wallet is not an option to the majority of users.  It will really hamper Anoncoin adoption not having lightweight wallets like Electrum plus mobile wallets.  Maybe someone could fork the blockchain.info GitHub for a suitable bounty instead.  We do need lots of people running full nodes though.  To try and avoid the sybil attack problem  So maybe we should look at the Peercoin model.  Where full nodes get paid via staking by running full time nodes 24/7/365.  This would of course make the coin inflationary in nature although it could be done a very small rate. 
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
Now that the lightweight wallet Electrum has been ported to Litecoin.  I feel strongly that we should start a crowdfunding campaign for a bounty for porting Electrum to Anoncoin.  And the building of an Electrum plugin for Zerocoin.

I think it's a little too early for a lot of people to be using non-standard wallet software, especially one that requires trusting server operators. I could be wrong; please try and support your position further Smiley
legendary
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
wrt Cryptsy Xactions, @K1773R knows how to fix them ....

One I had stuck had 400 inputs, I think K1773R rebroadcast it ... not sure, maybe that's something a cron script anywhere can do ... just my bit's worth
No, the person with the stuck tx (sent or recieved) has to rebroadcast it, so i recieve it. all i did was changing max tx size and block creation settings. i pointed this out at some other posts already.

I've only had issues with transactions originating from cryptsy; never between wallets or friends. Just my $0.02. And I thought I saw a post about Darkcoin/ #drk, going open source? Does anyone else find it amusing that, (if it's true and they finally released the code) they took these steps now; with just a few weeks left until fill implementation of ANC/ZC? Just thought the timing was interesting... lols, there can be only one...

Yes. I do find it interesting. My perspective is that of the two holy grails of crypto currency - decentralization and anonymity , we now see a surge in the momentum of the anonymity attribute as being the differentiator in the crypto world. The race to substitute BITCOIN started with the origin of alternate cryptocurrency space. The race is starting to get hot now!!!!
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1116

One I had stuck had 400 inputs, I think K1773R rebroadcast it ... not sure, maybe that's something a cron script anywhere can do ... just my bit's worth
No, the person with the stuck tx (sent or recieved) has to rebroadcast it, so i recieve it. all i did was changing max tx size and block creation settings. i pointed this out at some other posts already.

I've only had issues with transactions originating from cryptsy; never between wallets or friends. Just my $0.02. And I thought I saw a post about Darkcoin/ #drk, going open source? Does anyone else find it amusing that, (if it's true and they finally released the code) they took these steps now; with just a few weeks left until fill implementation of ANC/ZC? Just thought the timing was interesting... lols, there can be only one...

I've been hearing 'within weeks of zerocoin implementation' for ever. Is there an actually date yet?
Please be so kind to READ THE FAQ.

And please be so kind as to scroll up
Activity: 249

I've been hearing 'within weeks of zerocoin implementation' for ever. Is there an actually date yet?
Please be so kind to READ THE FAQ.
Jump to: