Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Moonlander 2 Driver and Support Thread - page 5. (Read 71401 times)

legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
Ok new issue.   But this seems to be related to the cp210x.  In ubuntu 18.04 LTS linux distro, I have successfully got the moonlander mining Verge coin.  The problem I am having is when I connect a Gekkoscience newpac miner to the system.  I am not Linux tech savy enough to correct the issue.   What happens is that when moonlander is running it'll start erroring out with input/output errors.  I can't have both of them running at the same time.  Even with Moonlander connected to a USB2.0 port and running the newpac on a USB 3.0 port.

When I run the following command: dmesg | grep ttyUSB it appears the cp210x will disconnect from ttyusb0 (moonlander is on) and connect to ttyusb1 (gekko newpac is on) and alternate between the two causing bfgminer to fail on the moonlander.

Any ideas on how to keep it from alternating like this and have both running together?  I tested on my windows machine and both are able to work together without issue.  Ubuntu on the other hand no so.  When I ran the below command 'before' launching the mining software, it showed correctly moonlander device on usb0 and the gekko on usb1.  'After' running the miner, the below is what happens and I believe is the reason for the issue.  Soon I will be attaching an Arduino Uno for some electronic projects I am working on and believe this will possibly create issues with it as well.  Help is appreciated.  Just don't know how to correct.   Thanks

You need to figure out which tty each is attached too, and make sure you specify in bfgminer/cgminer to not auto-scan (ie use the -S /dev/ttyUSB0) flag.

My driver is pretty good at filtering out the right ASIC before injecting commands to the chip, but im pretty sure gekkosciences driver starts sending commands as soon as it finds a UART chip, which is why it screws up the moonlanders. Make sure auto-scan is not enabled will keep each driver from trying to send commands to the wrong usb miner.

Check out the first page, answers are in the FAQ section.
Is this possible to do on Terminal? What is the command to turn off auto-scan? I how do I discover the USB bus address?

I know you don't manufacture the device, but it seems that the VCP driver used with the MacOS ML2 install causes cgminer to not be able to detect the NewPacs. Do you think rerouting both devices to their specific corresponding USB address would avoid this error?

I'm new to this and have really been enjoying learning through this trouble shooting process. My next step is to crib from the Linux process described in the original response to your above post #1894.

ALSO, I ordered the BTC full node and 2 standard units to pair with it. I dig your ethos, man. Thanks.

Check out the FAQ section on the first page of this thread...answers are in there.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Ok new issue.   But this seems to be related to the cp210x.  In ubuntu 18.04 LTS linux distro, I have successfully got the moonlander mining Verge coin.  The problem I am having is when I connect a Gekkoscience newpac miner to the system.  I am not Linux tech savy enough to correct the issue.   What happens is that when moonlander is running it'll start erroring out with input/output errors.  I can't have both of them running at the same time.  Even with Moonlander connected to a USB2.0 port and running the newpac on a USB 3.0 port.

When I run the following command: dmesg | grep ttyUSB it appears the cp210x will disconnect from ttyusb0 (moonlander is on) and connect to ttyusb1 (gekko newpac is on) and alternate between the two causing bfgminer to fail on the moonlander.

Any ideas on how to keep it from alternating like this and have both running together?  I tested on my windows machine and both are able to work together without issue.  Ubuntu on the other hand no so.  When I ran the below command 'before' launching the mining software, it showed correctly moonlander device on usb0 and the gekko on usb1.  'After' running the miner, the below is what happens and I believe is the reason for the issue.  Soon I will be attaching an Arduino Uno for some electronic projects I am working on and believe this will possibly create issues with it as well.  Help is appreciated.  Just don't know how to correct.   Thanks

You need to figure out which tty each is attached too, and make sure you specify in bfgminer/cgminer to not auto-scan (ie use the -S /dev/ttyUSB0) flag.

My driver is pretty good at filtering out the right ASIC before injecting commands to the chip, but im pretty sure gekkosciences driver starts sending commands as soon as it finds a UART chip, which is why it screws up the moonlanders. Make sure auto-scan is not enabled will keep each driver from trying to send commands to the wrong usb miner.

Is this possible to do on Terminal? What is the command to turn off auto-scan? I how do I discover the USB bus address?

I know you don't manufacture the device, but it seems that the VCP driver used with the MacOS ML2 install causes cgminer to not be able to detect the NewPacs. Do you think rerouting both devices to their specific corresponding USB address would avoid this error?

I'm new to this and have really been enjoying learning through this trouble shooting process. My next step is to crib from the Linux process described in the original response to your above post #1894.

ALSO, I ordered the BTC full node and 2 standard units to pair with it. I dig your ethos, man. Thanks.
Activity: 51
Merit: 1
Just fired up my Moonlanders again for giggles!
Got 4 of 6 running real easy.  The other 2 show the green LED but cant see them.  Any clues?

Sounds like your hub might not have enough power for those two, do they do the startup LED dance when you start bfgminer?

Also little thought experiment for you...you started them up just now because LTC is on a tear again...why didn't you have them running this whole time and collecting a little LTC in the background for years during the bear market, and that LTC would have been worth hundreds now?

I always tell people, best time to mine is not now, but during bear markets when difficulty is lowest and you mine the most LTC with your devices.

They do not do the dance.  I actually took them down because of the hubs I had them on burned out.  Happened on another one here recently from an auction and thought what the hey.  I've been running my Apollo though, don't worry lol.  I did apply that logic to DOGE and got laughed at until it hit that .07 cent mark the other day and I went to work with some brand new tools.

Haven't upgraded to the full node Apollo yet but I run my PC as a node to help with the decentralizing.  I'm just a balcony farmer though.
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
Got 4 of 6 running real easy.  The other 2 show the green LED but cant see them.  Any clues?

Sounds like your hub might not have enough power for those two, do they do the startup LED dance when you start bfgminer?

Also little thought experiment for you...you started them up just now because LTC is on a tear again...why didn't you have them running this whole time and collecting a little LTC in the background for years during the bear market, and that LTC would have been worth hundreds now?

I always tell people, best time to mine is not now, but during bear markets when difficulty is lowest and you mine the most LTC with your devices.
Activity: 51
Merit: 1
Activity: 19
So just tried the ubuntu os. The newest 64 bit version. Tried rhe sudo commands and still no luck. I am not the greatest with linux. But do not understand why it is so difficult to get bfgminer onto the pi??? On a windows device. Done in minutes. Pi. Bein of my existence
I am using the raspberry pi 4 with 1.5ghz processor and 8gb memory

Hello and thank you. I appreciate the help. I did not use that particular link. But the link I used has the same identical information. I will reflash the pi tomo and try again. But the libncurses.so.5 error. Think it has to do with a 32 bit or 64 bit issue of some kind. I tried to download both 64 and 32 bit versions of libncurses.so.5 and kept getting error the file can not be found or does not exist. I am at a loss. I am using powered hubs for everything, including my perhiphals. Know the pi does not like too much power draw. I just want to use the pi to run bfgminer. I have 13 moonlanders sitting idle....
Ahoy fellow Raspberry Chum!

I have found that my raspberry pi zeros absolutely HATE any usb 3 cable (the blue ones). They will never ever recognize, however when I got a cable from the dollar store, and connected that to the powered Usb hub, it recognized.

I used Raspbian Stretch Lite when i initially set mine up, however it would appear it has now been replaced with "Raspberry Pi OS Lite" , https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/operating-systems/

I like that since it removes excess bloatware and apps that I did not need, and gave a barebones starting point for troubleshooting.

Did you follow the standard old setup instructions on the pi for the moonlander?
This is the tutorial I had followed. https://steemit.com/raspberry/@qctechno/howto-install-futurebit-moonlander-2-usb-scrypt-miner-with-raspberrypi-3

I'd recommend starting over on the Pi image, since it can get all borkled from too many different file versions.

hope it helps!

"May Jstefanop grace thee with thy holy crypto-blessings."

Still no idea what this L2F part is... But it smells like my old "electronics 101" classroom in here.

I can not figure out how to post a photo on here. But the error is ./bfgminer: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

Hello and thank you. I appreciate the help. I did not use that particular link. But the link I used has the same identical information. I will reflash the pi tomo and try again. But the libncurses.so.5 error. Think it has to do with a 32 bit or 64 bit issue of some kind. I tried to download both 64 and 32 bit versions of libncurses.so.5 and kept getting error the file can not be found or does not exist. I am at a loss. I am using powered hubs for everything, including my perhiphals. Know the pi does not like too much power draw. I just want to use the pi to run bfgminer. I have 13 moonlanders sitting idle....

I have found that my raspberry pi zeros absolutely HATE any usb 3 cable (the blue ones). They will never ever recognize, however when I got a cable from the dollar store, and connected that to the powered Usb hub, it recognized.

I used Raspbian Stretch Lite when i initially set mine up, however it would appear it has now been replaced with "Raspberry Pi OS Lite" , https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/operating-systems/

I like that since it removes excess bloatware and apps that I did not need, and gave a barebones starting point for troubleshooting.

Did you follow the standard old setup instructions on the pi for the moonlander?
This is the tutorial I had followed. https://steemit.com/raspberry/@qctechno/howto-install-futurebit-moonlander-2-usb-scrypt-miner-with-raspberrypi-3

I'd recommend starting over on the Pi image, since it can get all borkled from too many different file versions.

hope it helps!

Still no idea what this L2F part is... But it smells like my old "electronics 101" classroom in here.

Activity: 5

hope it helps!

Hello how is everyone? I am trying to use my pi for my moonlanders. I have powered hubs for my miners. The issue is that after installing everything when I try to run the batch file. I get an error that libncurses.so.5 no directory? I am using the full raspberrian operating system. Is there a command that would fix this? Thank you.
Activity: 9

Yeah, the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is important. I got an ear full from the wife and the kids about the Antminers when I fired just one up.

Had to move them from the workshop, where our hangout spot is, to the garage. Nice thing is, the garage is warm now when you're letting the dogs out in the middle of the night.  Cheesy
I still have to build a "cabinet" for them now that cuts down on the noise, filters the air, and keeps it cool in the summer....

I figured that part would be either an oscillator or a voltage regulator. At this point I'd give them a nice sendoff and pick up either 2 more of those, or another Apollo.  Grin
That works. Smiley

How do you like the Apollo? I almost got one of those but it just didn't have the H/s I was looking for.

I can't quite make out the lettering on the U2 part. If you can read it, do a search at Digikey.com and it might come up with the part or one that's very similar so you'll at least know what it is.

While you're mining with the Moonlanders, do you get a lot of messages like,

Code:
Pool 0 is sending mismatched block contents to us (0 is not 2-3)
and
Pool 0 is issuing work for an old block

I get those a lot...

Usually only get them on certain pools. I set a lower difficulty, added the skipcbcheck and xnsub and it seemed to help too.

Queue length maybe?

Also.. it def says L2F on it. Might be an oscillator or ic chip according to digikey. I was hoping for a ceramic capacitor maybe...but if it's one of those other.. I might just viking funeral them.

https://i.ibb.co/Z24Rqrx/IMG-20210111-204333156.jpg

I like the Apollo.. mainly for the low power usage, and near silent fan. Market it to husband's who's wives get angry about the noise. Pretty sure that's a legit trending topic on crypto reddit groups.  Grin
That works. Smiley

How do you like the Apollo? I almost got one of those but it just didn't have the H/s I was looking for.

I can't quite make out the lettering on the U2 part. If you can read it, do a search at Digikey.com and it might come up with the part or one that's very similar so you'll at least know what it is.

While you're mining with the Moonlanders, do you get a lot of messages like,

Code:
Pool 0 is sending mismatched block contents to us (0 is not 2-3)
and
Pool 0 is issuing work for an old block

I get those a lot...
Are they actually making money for you, or is this just for fun?

I ask because I have 2 and have been less than impressed with their stability and function. While I can mine for days at about 2.6 MH/s on each, that's not earning me more than a few pennies worth of coins a month.

I picked up a couple of Antminer L3+ for $99 each and since I'm running an oversized solar panel system I don't have to worry to much about electric costs. At an average of 570 MH/s they're on track to make between $60-90 a month each.

I'm just curious why you want to invest more in them if they aren't really making anything.

Point them at scrypt alt-coins, set it and forget it. The solar thing you have setup is my perfect dream. My apt complex however charges a tiered electric rate.. 0-100 .13kwh, 101-200, .14kwh, 201-300, .15kwh. you see my problem there. So these little guys fulfill my desire to "mine" a few cents, while only costing a few cents. Wife is happy with the minimum noise as well.

I have an apollo also in eco mode, but these moonlanders make great gifts to blockchain curious.

Any idea what that U2 component is?
Are they actually making money for you, or is this just for fun?

I ask because I have 2 and have been less than impressed with their stability and function. While I can mine for days at about 2.6 MH/s on each, that's not earning me more than a few pennies worth of coins a month.

I picked up a couple of Antminer L3+ for $99 each and since I'm running an oversized solar panel system I don't have to worry to much about electric costs. At an average of 570 MH/s they're on track to make between $60-90 a month each.

I'm just curious why you want to invest more in them if they aren't really making anything.
Greetings all, I have many moonlanders, and finally, after years of service two happened to crap out around the same time. (ONE AT MY HOUSE, ONE AT MY FRIENDS)

No green power lights on either. One of them.. I am certain the component at U2 fried. (The smoke, smell, and melted chip is pretty obvi) the other all visually appears ok. Both were running at stock speeds (600).  I can make out a L2F on the fried component.

Number 1: clearly something went poof.
https://i.ibb.co/PTNg45P/IMG-20210110-152002297.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wRT4wHP/IMG-20210110-151838909.jpg

Number 2: Unknown issue
https://i.ibb.co/b6fzjsm/IMG-20210110-152032116.jpg

Looking for some ideas, or replacement parts?

I've been having trouble with the miner's reliability...
So far, I haven't been able to keep it going for more than 4 hours.
In this forum the two explanations I've been able to gather are that either the power supply is too low, or the memory voltage is too low. I'm fairly sure the power is enough, because the miner starts (correct me if that is a wrong conclusion), and even though I've tinkered with the memory voltage it doesn't seem to make a difference. Not only does it not last, but it doesn't last in an unpredictable way - it can last anywhere from 30mins to 4hrs.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Hi I have am having exactly the same issues with my 4 moonlanders, externally powered is polar hub 2.5 amps per port. Tried all versions of changing core and memory voltages, but runs for short time 20 mins- 2 hours and then hash rates crash and the HW errors jump,did you ever find an answer for this.
Thanks

Solution I found was to write a script to restart every hour. Had something to do with a memory buffer, but that was on raspberry's. Not sure how it could equally affect a larger computer.
Activity: 114
Merit: 2
It can certainly be repairered.  

Can you show us a pic of one that is not broken off...or  top of the part that did break off?

mouser.com or digikey.com should be able to get the part...then it just a matter of finding someone or having the smt gear to resolder this.  It wil be lead free solder.  

OP post is one img well detailed..here we go.

V memory Probe Point

thx for reply.

PD:

searching around i found that in 2018 someone had the same issue

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.32768319

Activity: 1251
Merit: 135
It can certainly be repairered.  

Can you show us a pic of one that is not broken off...or  top of the part that did break off?

mouser.com or digikey.com should be able to get the part...then it just a matter of finding someone or having the smt gear to resolder this.  It wil be lead free solder.  
Pages:
Jump to: