Pages:
Author

Topic: [OFFICIAL]Bitfinex.com first Bitcoin P2P lending platform for leverage trading - page 6. (Read 723558 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
Bitfinex was able to raise a billion dollars that was presumably used to repay the loan to tether.

The NYAG action has more or less been won by Bitfinex -- they no longer have to produce documents to the NYAG, and the order obtained by the NYAG has been reduced to prohibit bitfinex and tether from conducting related party transactions for some number of months.

The fact that Bitfinex lost the $850M to begin with is alarming, though. They can't launch a token every time this happens. The market won't keep bailing them out -- it needs to not happen again. That risk is real.

The NYAG had no power to do anything. I don't even understand what they were trying to accomplish. I'd be a lot more concerned about federal agencies. They spend years building cases before pouncing. The CFTC investigation goes back something like 1.5 years.
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298
Looking to start using bitfinex for lending again, how has the site been recently? Any issues with the site or reasons why it would be a bad idea to use them? 

they're facing some pretty scary legal issues and were technically insolvent not long ago. they had $850 million seized by law enforcement agencies, then used a loan from tether to cover the shortfall. the NY attorney general obtained a court order against both companies. the USDOJ is also in the middle of a criminal probe of both companies.

so i would account for the legal risks when considering whether to loan there.
Bitfinex was able to raise a billion dollars that was presumably used to repay the loan to tether.

The NYAG action has more or less been won by Bitfinex -- they no longer have to produce documents to the NYAG, and the order obtained by the NYAG has been reduced to prohibit bitfinex and tether from conducting related party transactions for some number of months.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
Looking to start using bitfinex for lending again, how has the site been recently? Any issues with the site or reasons why it would be a bad idea to use them?  

they're facing some pretty scary legal issues and were technically insolvent not long ago. they had $850 million seized by law enforcement agencies, then used a loan from tether to cover the shortfall. the NY attorney general obtained a court order against both companies. the USDOJ is also in the middle of a criminal probe of both companies.

so i would account for the legal risks when considering whether to loan there.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive
Looking to start using bitfinex for lending again, how has the site been recently? Any issues with the site or reasons why it would be a bad idea to use them?  How have rates been recently? Are they better elsewhere?
Activity: 3
Merit: 0

Beware of your Bitfinex accounts. They entered my account, removed my orders and exchanged all my coins for PASS. My account went from 400usd to 30usd. All movements are registered.
Bitfinex is not responsible. Who else happened to him?
Activity: 215
Merit: 3
https://cryptoslate.com/bitfinex-users-unable-withdraw-funds-430-million-drained-exchange/

When it's Binance/Bitfinex, everyone seems fine.
But when it comes to other exchange (take HitBTC for example), everybody loses their shits. Lol standard standard  Grin
copper member
Binance was hacked multiple times last year, loosing a billion dollars plus and used reserves to cover the losses.

Wait, what? Source? Or are you talking about a different exchange?

Binance was hacked multiple times last year, loosing a billion dollars plus and used reserves to cover the losses.

I don't know this, source?

Binance was never hacked buddy or they didn't say it Wink

Link please.

https://binance.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028031711

So far it doesn't seem that Binance themselves got hacked, but that they were simply unable to save less cautious users from themselves.
In regards to the billion dollar loss incurred by binance, I am having trouble finding a link to support this. iIRC it was from a hack in late 2017 or early 2018, and it may have been another exchange. I will keep looking.

In regards to the hack today in the amount of 7k btc, the available facts make it appear API and 2FA keys were stolen from their customers, although it may have been the hacker somehow tricking binance into creating new keys for each customer whose account was withdrawn from.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

Link please.

https://binance.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028031711

So far it doesn't seem that Binance themselves got hacked, but that they were simply unable to save less cautious users from themselves.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 2369
Link please.
Activity: 73
Merit: 1

Activity: 187
Merit: 45

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

copper member
https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/new-report-ousts-bitfinexs-plans-of-raising-1-billion-in-bizarre-initial-exchange-offering/

Bitfinex are planning to do an IEO according to a fella who's had plenty of dealings with them. My money will be remaining in my own pocket, ta.

i've read a couple articles about this and i'm confused. an IEO for what exactly?

is it basically a revamp of their 2016 scheme---issue BFX tokens that represent shareholder equity in ifinex, then sell those tokens in order to pay off the $850m losses? they figure it worked in 2016 so why not now, right?

so what happens the next time a half billion dollars gets frozen? they'll just keep issuing tokens? sounds legit......
If the basic facts in the articles are correct, they are raising money by selling equity. Current owners will end up with less percentage of the company.

On net, the customers are not affected because they can receive the total amount they have in deposit.

Binance was hacked multiple times last year, loosing a billion dollars plus and used reserves to cover the losses. I am having trouble finding a link to support this. I believe it was late 2017 or early 2018
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
is it basically a revamp of their 2016 scheme---issue BFX tokens that represent shareholder equity in ifinex, then sell those tokens in order to pay off the $850m losses? they figure it worked in 2016 so why not now, right?

I think that's it. I've never bothered to follow up on previous token type things. I presume they performed adequately enough to satisfy the weirdos who bought them. Presumably that poos all over multiple securities laws but in for a penny, in for a pound.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/new-report-ousts-bitfinexs-plans-of-raising-1-billion-in-bizarre-initial-exchange-offering/

Bitfinex are planning to do an IEO according to a fella who's had plenty of dealings with them. My money will be remaining in my own pocket, ta.

i've read a couple articles about this and i'm confused. an IEO for what exactly?

so what happens the next time a half billion dollars gets frozen? they'll just keep issuing tokens? sounds legit......
legendary
Welt Am Draht
The author doesn’t appear to understand the plan. The plan, if real, would be to sell equity in either Bitfinex, tether or both and use the proceeds to repay the loan from tether.

I have no idea if the report is true or not.

Also reported from Coindesk but it looks like it's from the same source ultimately - https://www.coindesk.com/bitfinex-is-planning-to-issue-an-exchange-token-shareholder-says

I would've thought a concerted and transparent plan regarding getting the supposedly seized money back would be healthier, but there's no point in expecting that from them.
copper member

Thr author doesn’t appear to understand the plan. The plan, if real, would be to sell equity in either Bitfinex, tether or both and use the proceeds to repay the loan from tether.

I have no idea if the report is true or not.
legendary
Welt Am Draht

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
you can't run an exchange without following proper KYC laws...

Customers' integrity isn't the issue here, we're talking about the integrity of the exchange (or the people managing the exchange).

I wish you could buy and sell BTC at a bank, or in some good old-fashioned brick and mortar store.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004
So Bitfinex lost 850 Million (seized).
We know the total marketcap is fake numbers. If the masses use exchanges to withdrawal to fiat those exchanges will shutter due to lack of real usd money hence why this is a ponzi of a system that can t sustain
Pages:
Jump to: