Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 160. (Read 458255 times)

vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
While there are personal attacks in this thread which are bad, most of the discussion of what was done with the pool and coilcoin (or whatever it is) are relevant to the topic of the pool and should not be deleted.
Why does it seem like people don't read anything? The Coiledcoin nonsense is NOT RELATED TO THE POOL.

It is directly related to the pool since you used it to attack the coin, your users should be informed of your actions with their hashing power. Then consider what you will do with it in the future whenever your next target comes up.

He just stated he didn't use the pool to do it.  I was mistaken that he used merged mining.  You should read his post better.
Took long enough to clarify that. Slightly different slant on it now.

I will apologize now for mentioning the merged mining, as I misunderstood how things were done. 

I would, however, like to point out how often I was personally insulted as a result of disagreeing.  I would say that certain individuals that have responded in this thread need to reevaluate their behavior.  While those individuals might disagree with what luke-jr did, there was no point in making insults. 
vip
While there are personal attacks in this thread which are bad, most of the discussion of what was done with the pool and coilcoin (or whatever it is) are relevant to the topic of the pool and should not be deleted.
Why does it seem like people don't read anything? The Coiledcoin nonsense is NOT RELATED TO THE POOL.

It is directly related to the pool since you used it to attack the coin, your users should be informed of your actions with their hashing power. Then consider what you will do with it in the future whenever your next target comes up.

He just stated he didn't use the pool to do it.  I was mistaken that he used merged mining.  You should read his post better.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

+1000
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Activity: 504
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
@littleshop and bitlane

Anything relevant to the pool will not be removed, and I wasn't planning to delete anyways.  I'm going to clean it out, but will probably split all the purely flaming stuff into another thread and throw it in Off-topic.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I heart thebaron
If you guys are going to just constantly flame each other, take it to Off-topic.  If this little war keeps up I'm going to have to go through and clean this thread and split a bunch of stuff, really don't want to have to do that.... well I'll probably have to clean this thread out anyways.

As long as we can agree that all relevant information in regards to the misuse of the pool's resources and the malicious attack stay up as they should, you will not read another inflammatory comment from me.
Cheers.
legendary
Activity: 1386
If you guys are going to just constantly flame each other, take it to Off-topic.  If this little war keeps up I'm going to have to go through and clean this thread and split a bunch of stuff, really don't want to have to do that.... well I'll probably have to clean this thread out anyways.

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Maybe a bunch more chains would be useful, I wonder how many chains at once Luke would bother setting up to attack? A dozen? Two dozen? A hundred?

Seeing as it took less than a day, without any significant cost, and without affecting any of his pool's miners my guess is he could out-mine 1 alt-coin a day.  Given 300GH likely wasn't needed he probably could do a couple a day.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 966
Keep it real
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
I don't particularly have any incentive to respond to the scammers that I foiled, given the significant cost (in time) to do so. Nor do I have any financial loss or care particularly if people want to stop mining on Eligius because they were in on the scam (or any other reason). I will clarify that Eligius miners were not adversely impacted by this, and that the CLC mining involved only adding data that I hashed myself to my own transactions; and I was careful to ensure that nobody lost any confirmed CLC. If any Eligius miner wishes to inquire further, I will take the time to answer specific to-the-point questions which are signmessage'd with an active (ie, has mined in the past week) Eligius payout address that has earned at least 2000 TBC (5.36870912 BTC) over all time.

Eligius is a Bitcoin mining pool and I am, as always, committed to doing my best to contribute to and protect the Bitcoin ecosystem. Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation. I hope CoiledCoin will be the last of such scams now that it is clear there are people (not just myself) willing to stand up to them. Namecoin alone demonstrates a legitimate, innovative use of Bitcoin technology, and while I don't personally agree with their ideals/goals, I see it as a good thing for Bitcoin and worth cooperating with.

cablepair, regarding Devcoin, I don't see any reason to treat it as different from any other scamcoin. I will at least discuss it with you on IRC before doing anything other than mining it with the almost-unmodified (zero txn fee, zero post-maturity delay) Devcoin client.

P.S. While the opposition seem to be very venemous and vocal, I have gotten a lot more positive support from a head-count perspective.
legendary
Activity: 1022
BitMinter
No matter how intelligent you are if you have no heart people will never respect you. At least in real life...
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Heh well if advance announcement is a criteria, let me remind everyone once again of such chains as Martian BotCoins, United Kingdom Britcoins, Canadian Digital Notes, CZech Bitcash, bitNicKeLs, General Mining Corp and General Retirement Corp. Just because you don't see them around a lot doesn't mean they are creeping up to surprise anyone, there has been plenty of forewarning of them.

Oh and just because Unthinkingbit didn't have any use for Groupcoins once Devcoins were developed doesn't mean they no longer exist, either. In fact they have merged mining patches now just like Devcoin does, hoped to provide a slight lead time test before Devcoin's merged mining kicked in but in practice I don't think anyone who has figured out how to actually attempt to merged-mine has tried them yet to see if it actually works.

Maybe a bunch more chains would be useful, I wonder how many chains at once Luke would bother setting up to attack? A dozen? Two dozen? A hundred?

-MarkM-
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
People that sabotage others just because they can are rats in my eyes. You can try to talk this nice all day long.

People who deceive others about the security of alt-chains in order to make a quick buck are rats in mine. Er, well rats is a bit too intense. I think there are a lot of misguided people and a few greedy people (and even more who wonder wtf all this noise is).  ... People who are making all this noise instead of doing something innovative and fixing the problem (hell, I gave several probably adequate solutions) strike me as kinda whiny.  It's like you want your get rich quick without even putting some effort into it.

the rest of the required pieces seemed to fall into place...almost seamlessly, to finally label you as such: a Lukejr-Cronie.

Luke is sometimes little crazy but he's intelligent, committed, straight-forward, hard working, and he usually seems pretty kind. (Though I agree blowing up makomk's work so quickly wasn't exactly kind— but neither was Makomk's surprise introduction, surprise altchain introductions maximize the get-rich-quick factor) I've certainly disagreed with Luke, sometimes I think he's overly pedantic and difficult to compromise with. But he's done a number of good things for the Bitcoin community, and I respect him for it. I think it's ironic that more of the code in CoiledCoin was written by (designed by, argued for, and tested by) Luke than the proponents of that chain.

If that makes me a cronie— well, I've been called worse things. Last week I was a patsy to the state or something. I'd wear you allegation with a badge of honor, but it would be too inscrutable to anyone outside of this bizarre little niche of a niche that some people seem to feel is so important.

legendary
BitMinter
People that sabotage others just because they can are rats in my eyes. You can try to talk this nice all day long.
I heart thebaron
I don't believe I advanced any positions there that I haven't advanced here.  Thanks for the retractions of your false allegations, by the way, oh wait. You didn't bother.

The only allegation made against YOU was that you were suspected of being a Lukejr-Cronie......
..and I didn't see the point in removing it, since it was clearly proven TRUE (all by you none the less).

When you first came out casting doubt, offering reason and basically strengthening Luke's position, almost making excuses for him and WHY he did what he did.....people took notice (and some responded).
THEN, when you were quoted as part of the 'Crash Celebration' in an IRC chat log, being sure to credit Luke warmly and openly, the rest of the required pieces seemed to fall into place...almost seamlessly, to finally label you as such: a Lukejr-Cronie.
vip
Did deepbit just delete his post or did a mod do that?

He did, since gmaxwell is defending himself now..
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
Though I doubt that is going to discourage your attempted character assassinations in the slightest.
Actually, you did a pretty good job of that to yourself, with your performance in the above chat log that I re-posted.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.677863
No harm no foul...LOL

I don't believe I advanced any positions there that I haven't advanced here.  Thanks for the retractions of your false allegations, by the way, oh wait. You didn't bother.

Sad enough that some of the mods seemd involved in this shabby action !

My involvement is limited to disagreeing with the people who are very upset about this.  Instead I think this is an interesting and informative exercise in the area of bitcoin and alt-chain security which was conducted in a non-harmful (/minimally harmful, I regret that my positions have upset Makomk) manner, and I hope it will be a useful learning experience for all involved.
I heart thebaron
Though I doubt that is going to discourage your attempted character assassinations in the slightest.
Actually, you did a pretty good job of that to yourself, with your performance in the above chat log that I re-posted.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.677863
No harm no foul...LOL
legendary
BitMinter
I can take it that since the admin/mods deleted my posts in an on topic thread that they support luke and his immoral ungodly actions? Why is this forum, something that I support with bitcoins weekly doing this? luke is an asshole, he abused his power and broke trust, but this forum broke mine. Why were my posts censored???

WTF is this shit?

I bitched about rogue mods before and guess who it is again... yeah ban me you cock sucker. Censor my ass..  

Sad enough that some of the mods seemd involved in this shabby action !
Jump to: