Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 175. (Read 458255 times)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
legendary
Activity: 1428
MtGox users please test the Namecoin registration page, choose MtGox from the client menu.

+1, just registered my old address
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
MtGox users please test the Namecoin registration page, choose MtGox from the client menu.

Since I'm not going to be able to finish processing NMC payments until MtGox users are registered, and I'm about to walk out the door, I'll try to make time to get online on the trip to do it.
Cool, I knew Luke-jr, was a Christian (so am I) so I figured it was something like that.

thanks for the info!
Activity: 737
Merit: 500
One more thing I am curious about where does the name come from?

Saint Eligius is the patron saint of goldsmiths, other metalworkers, and coin collectors.
Interesting...

Well thank you for taking the time to explain everything to me, now I understand what the "Luke-Jr Method is" I really dont mind waiting, I have mined extensively at every other pool out there, and this one is my preference. One more thing I am curious about where does the name come from?

p.s. have a great vacation Luke-Jr - see ya when you get back Smiley
legendary
Due to the law of large numbers, the buffer will get closer and closer to 0 over time. Sad
Luke-JR is a smart man, if you were to calculate a ratio of pool owner profitability against pool speed his pool is probably the most profitable one out there without charging any kind of up front fee. Genius.

I suppose if he shut down today, he's be a rich man.  Well, not rich given the current exchange rates, but you know what I mean.

But until he shuts down, that buffer is available to come back to us miners if we become unlucky in the future.
Luke-JR is a smart man, if you were to calculate a ratio of pool owner profitability against pool speed his pool is probably the most profitable one out there without charging any kind of up front fee. Genius.
ok I guess I did not understand how he pays out.  I understood he pays SMPPS, but I assumed he had a wallet full of coins to cover for when the luck is bad, like many other pools that offer pay per share type payouts. So basically the pool is broke and we have to wait until it makes some money to pay us off.

that kinda sucks.

what happens to the 50 btc that are awarded when the pool solves a block in like 30 mins and we are all stick with .05 ?

The pool is not broke.  it does have a huge stash of BTC in a wallet.  But the automatic payment systems don't use that stash.  They only pay out with generation transactions which are limited to 50 BTC per block.  When the queue gets painfully long (3-4+ days in the past), Luke does a manual payment using the pool's wallet to clean up the backlog.  Normally that doesn't happen.  Normally we are lucky relatively quickly after we are unlucky and the queue fixes itself automatically (because when we are lucky, a round awards less than 50 BTC but can still pay out the full 50 BTC so it "catches up" the queue a little bit).

Edit: You can see how much BTC is in the pool's wallet by looking at the Pool Buffer column of this page: http://eligius.st/~artefact2/blocks/
I understand now. Smiley Thank you. I guess I never took the time to really understand how this thing works, and every day since I started mining I have been getting paid everyday. It seemed odd to me that when we have a really quick round we only get paid a little but when we have a long round we get paid a lot, I guess its the way everything evens out, on every other pool I've ever mined on the exact opposite is true, or its the exactly the same every round no matter the length.

One other tip in reading the queue page.

If you look at the top of the queue, first skip passed all the people who have been waiting a long time.  The people who have been waiting 3+ days all probably just recently finally passed the minimum payment and jumped to the top of the queue because they have been working so long at building their balance.  You eventually notice a few people with balances of 2-3+ BTC that have been waiting for a bit over 2 days.  

That 2 days is basically the frequency of how often people will get paid assuming they have enough hashpower to build their balance passed the minimum quickly.  If you had a 100 GH/s of hashpower and started mining right now, you'd surpass the minimum payment quickly but would not get paid for 2 days.  

That is of course if luck hypothetically is neutral going forward.  If we are lucky, that number drops.  If we continue to be unlucky, that number increases.

So, until we are lucky, don't expect to get paid more often than once every 2 days.  Of course you'll get bigger payments, so it will be a wash.
very cool piece of code you got here, and I already understand how his payment system works. But you must admit it seems like things are not moving as quickly as they usually do....

Ever since I started mining at this pool I would receive at least 1 payout per day, today I have not received any. It looks to me like things are backed up and thats why I asked Luke-Jr the question I did.

There is no mystery.  Look at the blocks found in the last 36 hours.  The average number of shares per block was approx 2.5 million shares.  The difficulty is a bit less than 1.5 million.  That's 36 hours of blocks taking 60% longer than normal on average.  A long string of bad luck means repeated blocks awarding more than 50 BTC into people's balances.  But because each block can only actually pay 50 BTC, we end up with a growing backlog of due payments (the payout queue).  Yes, there were a couple quick rounds but they were not short enough to make up for the preceding long rounds in terms of backlog.

Add in that the current round has been going for 15 hours, and you can see that actually most people haven't gotten paid today.

Nothing is wrong.  We have just been unlucky in the recent past and the queue won't catch up until we have an equivalent lucky streak.
very cool piece of code you got here, and I already understand how his payment system works. But you must admit it seems like things are not moving as quickly as they usually do....

Ever since I started mining at this pool I would receive at least 1 payout per day, today I have not received any. It looks to me like things are backed up and thats why I asked Luke-Jr the question I did.
has anyone else not seen a payout at all today?

My unpaid reward is at almost 5 BTC now...

Luke-Jr: Any thoughts?
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
make sure you using the wallet with the registered address and make sure your window is wide enough to copy the key from one line.
Activity: 504
  I can't for the life of me get the NMC registration to work. I am sure I am messing something up.  http://eligius.st/~luke-jr/nmc-register.php

I input both my BTC and NMC addies, loaded up your custom bitcoind, sent the command bitcoind signmessage bitaddy "date: I auth, blah: nmc addy" as copy and poasted formt he site. the command window returns a 'key', I copy and paste it into Bitcoin-Signature. Then it says verification failed, blah...

Stupid me and my winblowz..  I tried it again as I was typing this. Left it here in case anyone else has the same issue.
 Seems the trouble was even though I was stretching my stupid notepad window out it was still word wrapping and chopping off the last few chars of the Sig. I finally noticed on my last try that the = was missing at the end of my paste into the form and checked the entire Sig. Sure enough, missing the last few characters that got wrapped. Even though I had copied them all, the unseen windows line char was chopping it.   Embarrassed

Cheers
legendary
stats/payouts
Also, please recall that I only do the pool core (ie, payouts) and APIs. Updating stats will need someone to step up to take over maintaining (or at least provide a patch for) it. Any volunteers? If someone does a major update and takes over maintenance, they're free to replace the donation address for the stats (currently, it's the address for the original author).

One thing that I worry about as well is that now you have gone public with you plans to be away for 10 days you are almost certain to be the target of an attack (this exact same thing happened to slush if you remember around spring time)
Well, considering the ramifications (potentially delayed NMC payouts), I really had no choice but to announce it. I won't be totally offline, though, so if there's an emergency I can probably get on to get things going again. I would suggest (as usual) having failover setup just in case.

I know the last thing you (or your family) wants to do is be worrying about your pool while on vacation but If you have the means to monitor remotely and also have means to reboot remotely from smart phone etc that would be helpful...
That being said, I don't have any way to automate monitoring it. The only way I will know there is a problem is if miners call or IM me. I can be reached at sip.voip.dashjr.org (SIP) or luke at dashjr / org (Jingle/XMPP/Google Talk) so long as I'm within a T-Mobile service area.
Jump to: