Pages:
Author

Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay - page 25. (Read 41580 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Ace of ♠♠♠♠
October 13, 2014, 08:22:22 AM
Who gets the profits from this?

I am not really sure.. I think the developers gets the profit.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
October 13, 2014, 07:56:23 AM

Buyers and sellers simple.  Just like the bitcoin network.

The developers "profit" from donations to start the platform.

Something i was wondering was what is stopping sellers from listing huge tons of items or duplicates and flooding the site.  This doesnt happen on ebay due to listing fees.
Activity: 490
Merit: 250
October 13, 2014, 03:01:23 AM
legendary
Activity: 1372
--------------->¿?
October 12, 2014, 11:56:18 PM
OpenBazaar is a great concept, and from the moment I learned of bitcoin, I kept wanting to build something like this myself (though sadly I never got around to it).

I think the beauty of the idea is that since it's decentralized by nature, anyone can build their own 'eBay' site/app to list the many products/services available throughout OpenBazaar.  It would be like if eBay was open source and you didn't have to ever go to 'ebay.com' to buy/sell anything.  I think early on this sort of concept would be best opened to developers to build applications/sites through which the later wave of public users could actually use.  At this stage, it's too early for wide usage.

The major flaw though is that there is no incentive for arbitrators because there are no fees.  And because there are no incentives for arbitrators, there will be a lot of scams abound ... or you'll have to rely on building trust over time; trustworthy buyers and repeat customers.  So, I don't see this turning into eBay per se, but more of a decentralized e-commerce platform for shops, though still, it can easily become scam central.

Really, in the end, unfortunately it will work best for dark markets, which may in effect possibly drive up bitcoin transactions more than legal markets.  Regardless of how much the OpenBazaar team claims to be against the sale of illegal goods/services, this platform will be best used for that purpose.

For it to work well for legal goods/services, there would have to be a fee structure with incentives for arbitrators/escrow services.

There will be fees to the arbitrators if arbitrage is needed. No fees apply only if the trade goes smooth.

I think this could potentially result in arbitrators receiving a higher then warranted level of trust within the community. The arbitrator could "oversee" hundreds of transactions and never have to intervene with their trust getting built up, however their judgement nor their ability to be trusted would be tested. This could result in people being able to scam because the arbitrator does not know how to tell a scam is being pulled off or because the arbitrator is in on the scam

It all depend on how the reputation system will work but I find very unlikely the arbitrators will receive any fees nor reputation "points" for transactions that went smooth and therefore didn't require their services.
I would think that "escrow" would receive something for a smooth transaction. If they only received credit for the mediated transactions then one party would likely always say they acted unfairly (otherwise they would not have had to step in the first place). Also if the escrow only gives a partial refund to one party then both parties could potentially give negative feedback because they do not agree.

I can't see any situation where escrow would receive anything except for when they are not needed to mediate

I'm not sure to get your point. If a transaction when through smoothly it means that both party (seller and buyer) would agree to sign the transaction. The escrow signature is therefore not being used so both parties shouldn't have the ability to vote either good or bad  and have a neutral effect on the escrow's reputation. Escrows don't have to step for transactions that go smooth.
Activity: 151
Merit: 100
October 12, 2014, 10:34:42 PM
OpenBazaar is a great concept, and from the moment I learned of bitcoin, I kept wanting to build something like this myself (though sadly I never got around to it).

I think the beauty of the idea is that since it's decentralized by nature, anyone can build their own 'eBay' site/app to list the many products/services available throughout OpenBazaar.  It would be like if eBay was open source and you didn't have to ever go to 'ebay.com' to buy/sell anything.  I think early on this sort of concept would be best opened to developers to build applications/sites through which the later wave of public users could actually use.  At this stage, it's too early for wide usage.

The major flaw though is that there is no incentive for arbitrators because there are no fees.  And because there are no incentives for arbitrators, there will be a lot of scams abound ... or you'll have to rely on building trust over time; trustworthy buyers and repeat customers.  So, I don't see this turning into eBay per se, but more of a decentralized e-commerce platform for shops, though still, it can easily become scam central.

Really, in the end, unfortunately it will work best for dark markets, which may in effect possibly drive up bitcoin transactions more than legal markets.  Regardless of how much the OpenBazaar team claims to be against the sale of illegal goods/services, this platform will be best used for that purpose.

For it to work well for legal goods/services, there would have to be a fee structure with incentives for arbitrators/escrow services.

There will be fees to the arbitrators if arbitrage is needed. No fees apply only if the trade goes smooth.

I think this could potentially result in arbitrators receiving a higher then warranted level of trust within the community. The arbitrator could "oversee" hundreds of transactions and never have to intervene with their trust getting built up, however their judgement nor their ability to be trusted would be tested. This could result in people being able to scam because the arbitrator does not know how to tell a scam is being pulled off or because the arbitrator is in on the scam

It all depend on how the reputation system will work but I find very unlikely the arbitrators will receive any fees nor reputation "points" for transactions that went smooth and therefore didn't require their services.
I would think that "escrow" would receive something for a smooth transaction. If they only received credit for the mediated transactions then one party would likely always say they acted unfairly (otherwise they would not have had to step in the first place). Also if the escrow only gives a partial refund to one party then both parties could potentially give negative feedback because they do not agree.

I can't see any situation where escrow would receive anything except for when they are not needed to mediate
legendary
--------------->¿?
October 07, 2014, 11:38:21 PM

Activity: 210
October 07, 2014, 01:46:10 AM

legendary
--------------->¿?
October 06, 2014, 01:37:37 PM

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
mining is so 2012-2013
October 06, 2014, 03:02:37 AM
can openbazaar be accessed without installing any type of software?
I mean,like ebay with an url

There are dependencies and software that needs to be installed. This isn't a site you go to with your browser, but a decentralized platform.

Someday as a buyer, it will probably be possible that a website will be set up that allows people to use OpenBazzar without the client.  The guys over at NXT did just that with SecureAE.  But don't expect it anytime soon. 
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
mining is so 2012-2013
October 06, 2014, 02:59:42 AM

To all ebay sellers:

Once open bazaar is ready, list all the things you sell on ebay at open bazaar.  Next time you make a sale send a card to your open bazaar shop for future customers.  Should be able to offer a discount with the savings, i will be Smiley

that is a good idea
Activity: 183
October 05, 2014, 11:09:49 PM
Scammers are everywhere and they will be! It's about law and speed of his executing. In point where Cryptos are now, that's very difficult..

Hurry up with the opening, because the price of BTC will fall to the basement! Cheesy
I can not wait to test the page!
I wish you BIG success with this project!
I don't think that the opening of open brazaar will cause the price of bitcoin to decline. Can you eliberate?

I agree that the site will be full of scammers and there will be little way to police them and little way to make others aware of their scams

There will be a reputation system using proof-of-burn as an option.

https://blog.openbazaar.org/proof-of-burn-and-reputation-pledges/
If you have to pay for reputation then you will have an incentive to keep it "clean" so you would be susceptible to bogus claims of fraud by buyers (I don't see anything about buyers needing to pay for reputation)

You don't have to pay for reputation. You can use proof of burn to speed up your reputation but this is optional.
If you don't need to pay/burn bitcoin for your reputation then why couldn't someone with little to no reputation try to scam? Or why couldn't someone make a bunch of sockpuppet accounts to build up "reputation" and then scam with their "reputable" account
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
October 05, 2014, 07:27:03 PM
and is there any way to install it in windows or only linux?

Linux and OSX only right now -
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar/wiki/Build-Instructions
https://blog.openbazaar.org/

Windows coming soon.
Activity: 714
Merit: 503
October 05, 2014, 07:08:06 PM

There are dependencies and software that needs to be installed. This isn't a site you go to with your browser, but a decentralized platform.
and is there any way to install it in windows or only linux?
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
October 05, 2014, 07:02:07 PM

Activity: 714
Merit: 503
October 05, 2014, 06:24:13 PM
legendary
--------------->¿?
October 05, 2014, 04:55:29 PM
Scammers are everywhere and they will be! It's about law and speed of his executing. In point where Cryptos are now, that's very difficult..

Hurry up with the opening, because the price of BTC will fall to the basement! Cheesy
I don't think that the opening of open brazaar will cause the price of bitcoin to decline. Can you eliberate?

I agree that the site will be full of scammers and there will be little way to police them and little way to make others aware of their scams

If you have to pay for reputation then you will have an incentive to keep it "clean" so you would be susceptible to bogus claims of fraud by buyers (I don't see anything about buyers needing to pay for reputation)

You don't have to pay for reputation. You can use proof of burn to speed up your reputation but this is optional.
Activity: 151
October 05, 2014, 04:27:42 PM

legendary
--------------->¿?
October 05, 2014, 02:30:44 PM
They are taking forever to open this - what's the delay?

Scheduled for early December.
legendary
Activity: 1267
October 05, 2014, 02:28:44 PM
They are taking forever to open this - what's the delay?
legendary
--------------->¿?
October 05, 2014, 01:43:37 PM

Pages:
Jump to: