Pages:
Author

Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay - page 27. (Read 41580 times)

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
September 22, 2014, 07:03:06 AM
Sounds awesome, checked their website, it have great potential
We will see if it will deliver
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
September 22, 2014, 07:02:06 AM
Is the software available so anyone can choose to use it and set up their own version of OpenBizarre? So there can be illegal tor markets but also legal ebay-like sites? Can the owners moderate content etc? If it's so open people will obviously try to sell illegal goods on there and your intention might just to be like ebay etc.
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
September 22, 2014, 07:00:48 AM

I'm really looking forward to how this is going to work and if it takes off. It could be huge in my opinion. People are getting fed up with ebay.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
September 22, 2014, 06:58:12 AM
OpenBazaar Beta 1.0 launched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E1U3UcHZLc
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
September 18, 2014, 09:41:47 AM
So how is the beta going?  Patiently waiting for a Windows binary here...

+1

Any news/date when binary beta2 will be available?

I tried to compile it on mac, but got stuck with dependencies...
Activity: 476
September 16, 2014, 09:31:30 PM
How are you guys going to deal with scammers on both sides? Cryptothrift has escrow, so the scammers just convince people to go outside it.

If a buyer does the deal outside of the platform they wont have the protection from the arbiter is how i think it will work.  So if you are stupid enough to forgo this protection on a deal you should except a higher risk of being scammed. 

Ebay is like a nanny state which protects buyers but not sellers.
The "nanny state" that protects the buyers also helps the sellers attract buyers as they know they are protected. Without the dispute system in place with ebay buyer would be reluctant to bid/buy products from sellers. It is very similar to how people are generally unwilling to sign up for a signature campaign when the campaign manager is not willing to use escrow
Activity: 251
Merit: 100
September 15, 2014, 09:10:08 PM
How are you guys going to deal with scammers on both sides? Cryptothrift has escrow, so the scammers just convince people to go outside it.

Escrow is not scam-proof.

Scammers have a lot of imagination.

Activity: 24
Merit: 0
September 14, 2014, 11:53:23 AM
Many typos.
"Auction businessed must have KYC"
"It’s predecessors"
"Everything old becomes new, long ago bazaars"
"Its time to take control back"
"and the fund’s are at their mercy"
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
September 14, 2014, 07:32:41 AM

If a buyer does the deal outside of the platform they wont have the protection from the arbiter is how i think it will work.  So if you are stupid enough to forgo this protection on a deal you should except a higher risk of being scammed. 

Ebay is like a nanny state which protects buyers but not sellers.
Activity: 434
September 14, 2014, 07:13:15 AM
So the question here is... can one safely order some weed on there or what
This isn't dark marketplace with illegal items, it's only peer to peer market wich means there are no fees.
Ordering drugs is never safe!
Activity: 111
September 14, 2014, 07:07:26 AM
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
September 14, 2014, 06:57:06 AM

At this rate they wont be taking ebay customers but other auction site customers.  Lots of complaints about ebay technical problems for weeks not being sorted out.  Right now i cant even access ebay.
Activity: 182
September 14, 2014, 05:57:10 AM
Hey, there is an Exclusive interview here about the Open Bazaar:

http://bitcoinpricelive.com/openbazaar-decentralized-marketplace/

OpenBazaar is a new and intresting project about to get released to the Bitcoin public. As you can see in the video a non-restricted free to use marketplace environment is being worked on right now. We asked the Operations Lead for OpenBazaar Sam Patterson, a few questions about what can users expect from the project and what might lie in store for the future.

Which kind of new options will merchants and customers receive from the OpenBazaar compared to ebay or Amazon?

Using OpenBazaar, merchants will not need to pay the sellers fees and PayPal fees, and they don’t have to follow the rules of a particular marketplace for what items they can list. Both the merchants and the customers will also have the ability to choose their own arbitration. Right now, if you use an ecommerce platform and run into a problem, you may not get very personalized or quality dispute resolution. OpenBazaar will have a market for arbitration, so people will be able to choose who the third party is based on reputation and ratings.

What kind of products you imagine would be the first to hit on the virtual shelves of the OpenBazaar?

We think the first use case will be something like BitMit was, where the bitcoin community has a platform to buy and sell goods among themselves. Over time, once the platform has grown and proven itself, we expect that merchants using traditional ecommerce platforms will begin listing their products on OpenBazaar as well, due to the lack of seller fees and better arbitration.
Ultimately, we’re creating an open source platform that anyone can use, and we don’t know beforehand how people are going to use it to make their lives and their communities better. It’s exciting to consider how peer to peer commerce online could change the world.

Continued...
Activity: 476
September 14, 2014, 02:54:51 AM
I believe that you actually choose which arbitrator and notary will be used prior to the transaction being finalized. If it turns out that the arbitrator is an alt of the person you are dealing with then you will be out of luck. 

I don't understand your reasoning. A decentralized escrow works the same as a centralized one with regards to trust but there is more competition. In a centralized one you are forced to pick one arbitrator, in a decentralized one you either have the choice of only using one arbitrator if you trust no one else just like with centralized ones or you have the freedom to choose a new arbitrator.

The only downside to this is with extra liberty comes extra risks associated with stupid users picking arbitrators that they don't know and have no reputation.  So with a centralized escrow arrangement you may have less dumb users making mistakes but at the expense of higher fees because of less competition and added centralized risks of from attacks from governments (silk road/atlantis), from hackers who may not waste their time targeting an account that is only holding escrow for one person instead of everyone, and corrupt employees.

When you have competition then the escrow will generally want to make the person who drives more business to them happy. If one side of a transaction tends to drive a lot of business towards the escorow then the escrow will have a reason to side with them regardless of the facts
This is a good point. I think that escrow services will likely work on tips and when one party directs a lot of business to a certain escrow service and allows tips to be directed towards the escrow then the escrow service will likely side with that person (who would likely be the seller). This would make using escrow a moot point in many/most situations.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
September 13, 2014, 11:26:44 PM
So the question here is... can one safely order some weed on there or what
Activity: 406
September 13, 2014, 08:21:23 PM
This is looking good and if done right could have the potential to be big Smiley would definitely give eBay a run for it's money that is for sure so I am really looking forward to seeing this.
Activity: 308
September 13, 2014, 07:56:17 PM
I believe that you actually choose which arbitrator and notary will be used prior to the transaction being finalized. If it turns out that the arbitrator is an alt of the person you are dealing with then you will be out of luck.  

I don't understand your reasoning. A decentralized escrow works the same as a centralized one with regards to trust but there is more competition. In a centralized one you are forced to pick one arbitrator, in a decentralized one you either have the choice of only using one arbitrator if you trust no one else just like with centralized ones or you have the freedom to choose a new arbitrator.

The only downside to this is with extra liberty comes extra risks associated with stupid users picking arbitrators that they don't know and have no reputation.  So with a centralized escrow arrangement you may have less dumb users making mistakes but at the expense of higher fees because of less competition and added centralized risks of from attacks from governments (silk road/atlantis), from hackers who may not waste their time targeting an account that is only holding escrow for one person instead of everyone, and corrupt employees.

When you have competition then the escrow will generally want to make the person who drives more business to them happy. If one side of a transaction tends to drive a lot of business towards the escorow then the escrow will have a reason to side with them regardless of the facts
Activity: 420
September 09, 2014, 11:07:36 PM
How do they get reputation in the first place? It is essentially purchased. If you can purchase enough reputation cheaply enough to be able to scam for more then the cost of the reputation.

Placing a bond or proof of burn is only one layer of reputation. Reputation is gained with a trusted name through ones history and past trades. If we are speaking about a marketplace with mainly legal items than the arbitrators usually use their real identities and thus can't and wont sell their accounts. If we are talking about illegal items being sold I would rather take my chances with decentralized escrow than trusting a centralized escrow system as the histories of "hackers" stealing all funds is really bad for dark markets.
Bonds or accounts with proof of burn can easily be bought. If the marketplace is brand new then there will be no history that anyone has.

An arbitrator that uses his real identity can still sell his account, but he would likely need to be more desperate to do so because of the added risk to him. 
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
September 08, 2014, 09:36:25 PM
How do they get reputation in the first place? It is essentially purchased. If you can purchase enough reputation cheaply enough to be able to scam for more then the cost of the reputation.

Placing a bond or proof of burn is only one layer of reputation. Reputation is gained with a trusted name through ones history and past trades. If we are speaking about a marketplace with mainly legal items than the arbitrators usually use their real identities and thus can't and wont sell their accounts. If we are talking about illegal items being sold I would rather take my chances with decentralized escrow than trusting a centralized escrow system as the histories of "hackers" stealing all funds is really bad for dark markets.
Activity: 420
September 08, 2014, 07:38:36 PM

The only downside to this is with extra liberty comes extra risks associated with stupid users picking arbitrators that they don't know and have no reputation.  So with a centralized escrow arrangement you may have less dumb users making mistakes but at the expense of higher fees because of less competition and added centralized risks of from attacks from governments (silk road/atlantis), from hackers who may not waste their time targeting an account that is only holding escrow for one person instead of everyone, and corrupt employees.

Pages:
Jump to: