Pages:
Author

Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay - page 29. (Read 41580 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
September 07, 2014, 12:43:02 PM
When the trust comes into place decentralization lose its flavor. If it is about chosen escrow then either I'll do the trade on BitcoinTalk marketplace using a forum escrow or will use a eBay type site that is legacy centralized. When the volume of sell goes up, manual escrow system becomes obsolete.
Centralized escrow has proven to be vulnerable as there is one failure point where funds can be stolen by governments(silk Road) or either hackers or the black market operators(Too many examples to cite).

So what exactly is the problem with a reputation based arbitration market?

Because then reputation will be sold, like u see on BitcoinTalk. If u r not aware, check the Digital Goods section of this forum. Moreover, manual escrows are not a feasible solution for high trade volume.
This. Plus the fact that in the beginning no one will have any trust at all, so how will anyone know who is appropriate to trust?

By using proof-of-burn https://blog.openbazaar.org/proof-of-burn-and-reputation-pledges/

Can u please tell me the difference between Proof of Burn and Buying Reputation ? If reputation is bought, NOT earned, it'll also be SOLD... effectively jeopardizing the whole system. In a centralized marketplace like eBay, reputation is of highest importance to them because their reputation is not in competition within the system but outside of the system. In a de-centralized marketplace, the scenario will be different. Escrows are part of the free market supply-demand and hence reputation will itself become a commodity, leading to the formation of a reputation buying/selling system. A stable marketplace cant run like this... though I'm not sure about the black market dynamics.
This is a very good point. Reputation would essentially be something that could be freely traded. I would say that people will likely trust people with more bitcoin then their reputation is worth. You would also have the issue of blackmail. If one person is willing to risk their reputation then they could threaten to leave negative reputation to the other person unless something is done in their favor. I would argue that a person's reputation would only be valid until the first dispute comes up at which point it would likely be ruined even if they are in the right.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
--------------->¿?
September 07, 2014, 12:00:46 PM
When the trust comes into place decentralization lose its flavor. If it is about chosen escrow then either I'll do the trade on BitcoinTalk marketplace using a forum escrow or will use a eBay type site that is legacy centralized. When the volume of sell goes up, manual escrow system becomes obsolete.
Centralized escrow has proven to be vulnerable as there is one failure point where funds can be stolen by governments(silk Road) or either hackers or the black market operators(Too many examples to cite).

Because then reputation will be sold, like u see on BitcoinTalk. If u r not aware, check the Digital Goods section of this forum. Moreover, manual escrows are not a feasible solution for high trade volume.
This. Plus the fact that in the beginning no one will have any trust at all, so how will anyone know who is appropriate to trust?

By using proof-of-burn https://blog.openbazaar.org/proof-of-burn-and-reputation-pledges/

Can u please tell me the difference between Proof of Burn and Buying Reputation ? If reputation is bought, NOT earned, it'll also be SOLD... effectively jeopardizing the whole system. In a centralized marketplace like eBay, reputation is of highest importance to them because their reputation is not in competition within the system but outside of the system. In a de-centralized marketplace, the scenario will be different. Escrows are part of the free market supply-demand and hence reputation will itself become a commodity, leading to the formation of a reputation buying/selling system. A stable marketplace cant run like this... though I'm not sure about the black market dynamics.

Who cares if people buy and sell reputations? It does not change the fact that there is very low incentive to crap on a good reputation you bought at high cost. It's not fool proof of course but it decrease significantly the risks of fraud.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1001
https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service
September 07, 2014, 11:34:40 AM

I believe that other dark market sites have asked for a "bond" to be paid to the site that would be used to protect buyers from losses in the event they scammed early on. After a certain amount of time and after a certain amount of successful transactions then the bond would be returned to them as they now have a sufficient trust level to make their account worth enough to have an incentive to not scam. Also if a user's business were to turn out to not be very profitable then the user could "quit" and receive a refund on their "bond". With proof of burn it would not be possible to get your money back in the event that your business turns out to be unprofitable, or less profitable then anticipated.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital
September 07, 2014, 11:24:23 AM

legendary
--------------->¿?
September 06, 2014, 11:34:19 PM

Activity: 588
September 06, 2014, 10:48:45 PM

Activity: 658
Merit: 501
September 06, 2014, 10:03:53 PM

Because then reputation will be sold, like u see on BitcoinTalk. If u r not aware, check the Digital Goods section of this forum.

The reason usernames are sold on bitcointalk is because they aren't attached to real identities. Many arbitrators use real names and identities and thus wouldn't and couldn't sell their reputation so easily.

https://www.bitrated.com/u

Moreover, manual escrows are not a feasible solution for high trade volume.

In multisig escrow the arbitrator doesn't need to get involved in 99% of the cases, everything is automated. The escrow is only "manual" if a dispute arises just like with credit cards chargebacks. I would consider visa and MasterCard to be high volume transaction processing despite manually arbitrating disputes.

legendary
September 06, 2014, 08:12:11 PM

Activity: 435
Merit: 250
September 06, 2014, 08:08:51 PM
Cant wait
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
September 06, 2014, 08:04:43 PM

legendary
September 06, 2014, 06:32:21 PM

OpenBazar is going to be a ScamBazar. Deals cant take place without escrow system and OpenBazar completely neglects that fact. P2P markets will never go mainstream and Bitcoin does not need it at all.
what are you talking about?... muti-sig escrow if one of OpenBazaar's key features

https://gist.github.com/drwasho/405d51bd1b1a32e38145

Decentralized escrow is nothing but a pure BS. Escrow means centralization. If u want to decentralize that just for the sake of decentralization, u'll only invite scammers.

e.g. What will u do if the buyer/seller pretends as escrow ?

What about the chosen escrow needs to be agreed by both party based on a reputation system?

Activity: 476
September 06, 2014, 06:28:30 PM

OpenBazar is going to be a ScamBazar. Deals cant take place without escrow system and OpenBazar completely neglects that fact. P2P markets will never go mainstream and Bitcoin does not need it at all.
what are you talking about?... muti-sig escrow if one of OpenBazaar's key features

Decentralized escrow is nothing but a pure BS. Escrow means centralization. If u want to decentralize that just for the sake of decentralization, u'll only invite scammers.

I think this will be a big problem. I think that scams will likely be rampant on the site, which will eventually prevent it from being successful.
legendary
--------------->¿?
September 06, 2014, 04:46:26 PM

What about the chosen escrow needs to be agreed by both party based on a reputation system?
legendary
September 06, 2014, 04:29:00 PM

Activity: 87
Merit: 10
September 06, 2014, 04:22:42 PM
This would be like a application such as Bitcoin core.You install a client the point to certain network location then you could be able to browse the Openbazaar.Or would just be like typical browsing through the internet?
Activity: 500
September 06, 2014, 03:41:46 PM
Just like bitcoin it's an interesting concept and experiment for sure. As I understand it anyone can use the software to set up their own sites so new ebay-like sites and also darknet sites will surely rise up. I really would love seeing a competitor to ebay arise, especially one that is free. Why wouldnt people use it?
The only issue I see is the complicated method of setting up shop so far. Your everyday "ebay seller" won't have a clue how to do this they barely can turn on a computer....
https://blog.openbazaar.org/openbazaar-beta-1-0-tutorial/

Yeah that's a good point actually. I'll have to read a bit more into that. I'm sure like most technology it will get easier and simpler to use as time goes on.

I know somebody who has an ebay business. They would love to not have the fees. I could easily see them using this tech.

At the same time, ebay/paypal makes buyers feel safe. And ultimately buyers need a way to feel safe. If a buyer is buying drugs that they can't get elsewhere, yes an open bazaar is worth a try. But if somebody just wants to buy regular things, amazon and ebay offer much more consumer protection. Until this point is addressed very well, this kind of tech will have problems.

I am an optimist and I do believe that it will eventually be addressed.

Open Bazaar will offer notary, arbitration and reputation system using proof-of-burn. When everything will be geared up, I don't see why it will be any less secure than ebay/paypal.
It would be less secure because the arbitrator could potentially be influenced by one of the parties. Or the arbitrator could actually be one of the parties. When you are dealing with a site like eBay, you know that arbitration will follow a certain set of rules (regardless if you agree with these rules or not) so if you have the right evidence and enough evidence to show you are in the right then you would know with reasonable certainty that eBay will side with you. 
I agree. I think that users would be very vulnerable to potential fraud by shill escrows. This would be especially a problem at first because there would be no established system of trust in place to know which "escrow" users to trust. 

But any new site will have to deal with this and there are several measures you could put in place. There's always going to be scammers but the trustworthy people quickly show themselves and rise to the top.
legendary
--------------->¿?
September 06, 2014, 03:26:09 PM
Just like bitcoin it's an interesting concept and experiment for sure. As I understand it anyone can use the software to set up their own sites so new ebay-like sites and also darknet sites will surely rise up. I really would love seeing a competitor to ebay arise, especially one that is free. Why wouldnt people use it?
The only issue I see is the complicated method of setting up shop so far. Your everyday "ebay seller" won't have a clue how to do this they barely can turn on a computer....

Yeah that's a good point actually. I'll have to read a bit more into that. I'm sure like most technology it will get easier and simpler to use as time goes on.

I know somebody who has an ebay business. They would love to not have the fees. I could easily see them using this tech.

At the same time, ebay/paypal makes buyers feel safe. And ultimately buyers need a way to feel safe. If a buyer is buying drugs that they can't get elsewhere, yes an open bazaar is worth a try. But if somebody just wants to buy regular things, amazon and ebay offer much more consumer protection. Until this point is addressed very well, this kind of tech will have problems.

Open Bazaar will offer notary, arbitration and reputation system using proof-of-burn. When everything will be geared up, I don't see why it will be any less secure than ebay/paypal.
It would be less secure because the arbitrator could potentially be influenced by one of the parties. Or the arbitrator could actually be one of the parties. When you are dealing with a site like eBay, you know that arbitration will follow a certain set of rules (regardless if you agree with these rules or not) so if you have the right evidence and enough evidence to show you are in the right then you would know with reasonable certainty that eBay will side with you.  
I agree. I think that users would be very vulnerable to potential fraud by shill escrows. This would be especially a problem at first because there would be no established system of trust in place to know which "escrow" users to trust.  

That's actually being put in place. It's being addressed somewhere in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_iZvKw0IZU
Activity: 308
September 06, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Activity: 77
Merit: 10
September 06, 2014, 02:13:01 PM
I like the concept. I think the more things that become decentralised the better. It's the greedy fees that corporations take that will kill them in the end.
legendary
--------------->¿?
September 06, 2014, 12:30:46 PM

Maybe you're right, but I don't see why any of these issues couldn't be addressed.
Pages:
Jump to: