Pages:
Author

Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay - page 31. (Read 41580 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
September 04, 2014, 01:03:04 AM
if they think they wont hold any responsibility for counterfeit items or any other wrong illegal activity they are clearly wrong and shouldnt go about it this way.  wasnt piratebay kinda decentralized also and look what happened to it?
Exactly what happened to it?
I'm using it this very moment.
The point of decentralized here would be that they don't hold responsibility, which is great (based on some sort of trust system from what I've read).

but that means they cant collect no profit from it whatsoever?  Also if they wanted to advertise on the site that might be the only way they can make money am I right?  But still they will have to have a team of lawyers and they will have to share or hand over the network, also it can be shutdown by the higher ups is the next question.

Who cant collect profit Piratebay or Openbazzar? I think the point of the latter is not to make any money but it be a free exchange with no fees they people are free to use.
I think the point is to be a place where people can buy illegal things from. To say that they do not take responsibility is crazy when they market themselves as being a place to buy and sell illegal items via TOR.

They made it clear it is not targeted for illegal usage but that they also have no mean to stop people doing so. I think people will mostly stay on SR for illegal purchases as a lot of vendors already have their reputation built and will not want to start over.
I received a spam PM from one of their alt advertising accounts with a link to a youbube video that talked about how you can buy illegal things on the website and not get caught. AFAIK the site is also only accessible via TOR and there is little reason for everyone to only visit a specific website via TOR unless the site is involved in illegal activity.
Activity: 434
September 03, 2014, 09:13:07 AM
Do we have any circa relase date? I'm really currious how ebay, amazon etc will try to protect themselves from loosing customers, this bazaar is actualy really good idea!

I dont think amazon or ebay are at risk of losing customers to this market for awhile. It is going to take a particular type of consumer to shop at open bazaar rather than Amazon because of how easy it is to use.

ehhh This is where you will be wrong.

Look at ebay, most sales are from oversea stores. (Chinese traders). Amazon marketplace is more for domestic retailers.

OpenBazzar will be adopted by Chinese ebay stores as their margin is already quite thin. The Ebay tax is way too high.

Ebay better accept Bitcoin as payment soon in order to compete
I've not been talking about openbazaar loosing customers but about ebay and amazon loosing them, and also loosing sellers cause of these sites fees.
ALOT of them will SURE move to openbazaar as every % of fee = harder to profit.
Neg
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
September 03, 2014, 04:10:36 AM

But surely it's inevitable that people will use this technology for a Silk Road-like site? I think it's a good thing. These eschnages need to be decentralised because they still charge rip off fees and are always getting 'hacked'.

If successful people will use the site for everything yes.  I would very much like to transfer my ebay business there but would need a customer base.

What is the best way to get the word out about openbazaar?

Probably the same way we get the word out about bitcoin: just keep telling people about it. Unfortunately I still think it's going to be a long time before openbazaar gets a massive userbase, though I'm sure it will grow steadily. I look forward to sites that compete with ebay though. About time they lost some marketshare.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
September 03, 2014, 03:44:23 AM
if they think they wont hold any responsibility for counterfeit items or any other wrong illegal activity they are clearly wrong and shouldnt go about it this way.  wasnt piratebay kinda decentralized also and look what happened to it?
The point of decentralized here would be that they don't hold responsibility, which is great (based on some sort of trust system from what I've read).

but that means they cant collect no profit from it whatsoever?  Also if they wanted to advertise on the site that might be the only way they can make money am I right?  But still they will have to have a team of lawyers and they will have to share or hand over the network, also it can be shutdown by the higher ups is the next question.

Who cant collect profit Piratebay or Openbazzar? I think the point of the latter is not to make any money but it be a free exchange with no fees they people are free to use.
I think the point is to be a place where people can buy illegal things from. To say that they do not take responsibility is crazy when they market themselves as being a place to buy and sell illegal items via TOR.

They made it clear it is not targeted for illegal usage but that they also have no mean to stop people doing so. I think people will mostly stay on SR for illegal purchases as a lot of vendors already have their reputation built and will not want to start over.

But surely it's inevitable that people will use this technology for a Silk Road-like site? I think it's a good thing. These eschnages need to be decentralised because they still charge rip off fees and are always getting 'hacked'.

If successful people will use the site for everything yes.  I would very much like to transfer my ebay business there but would need a customer base.

What is the best way to get the word out about openbazaar?
Activity: 274
September 03, 2014, 03:41:59 AM
Do we have any circa relase date? I'm really currious how ebay, amazon etc will try to protect themselves from loosing customers, this bazaar is actualy really good idea!

I dont think amazon or ebay are at risk of losing customers to this market for awhile. It is going to take a particular type of consumer to shop at open bazaar rather than Amazon because of how easy it is to use.

Look at ebay, most sales are from oversea stores. (Chinese traders). Amazon marketplace is more for domestic retailers.

OpenBazzar will be adopted by Chinese ebay stores as their margin is already quite thin. The Ebay tax is way too high.

Sadly I think it'll be a long time before ebay needs to accept bitcoin in order to compete, but I believe they're looking at it, but I reckon they'll just be looking at how they can take their massive cut from it. IT seems like a direct competitior to Paypal so I'm not sure how it'll work.
Activity: 976
Merit: 575
Cryptophile at large
September 03, 2014, 03:06:43 AM
if they think they wont hold any responsibility for counterfeit items or any other wrong illegal activity they are clearly wrong and shouldnt go about it this way.  wasnt piratebay kinda decentralized also and look what happened to it?

but that means they cant collect no profit from it whatsoever?  Also if they wanted to advertise on the site that might be the only way they can make money am I right?  But still they will have to have a team of lawyers and they will have to share or hand over the network, also it can be shutdown by the higher ups is the next question.

Activity: 235
September 03, 2014, 02:44:25 AM

legendary
Activity: 1092
September 03, 2014, 02:36:48 AM
Will OpenBazaar be a tor site or will it be run as a distributed torrent based network?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
September 03, 2014, 01:30:20 AM

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
September 03, 2014, 01:19:53 AM

Activity: 420
September 03, 2014, 01:10:51 AM

I have never used any of the dark net sites to buy/sell, but I have visited them many times over the years just to see what it looks like. Since SR was seized, many established vendors did advertise that they were a well known vendor on another site that is trusted.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
September 03, 2014, 01:09:38 AM
Beta is OUT, has anyone tried it?

I just finished installing it on Ubuntu, didnt have time to test it.
Activity: 434
September 03, 2014, 12:35:06 AM
legendary
Activity: 1372
--------------->¿?
September 03, 2014, 12:18:16 AM

Activity: 308
September 02, 2014, 10:54:26 PM
if they think they wont hold any responsibility for counterfeit items or any other wrong illegal activity they are clearly wrong and shouldnt go about it this way.  wasnt piratebay kinda decentralized also and look what happened to it?

but that means they cant collect no profit from it whatsoever?  Also if they wanted to advertise on the site that might be the only way they can make money am I right?  But still they will have to have a team of lawyers and they will have to share or hand over the network, also it can be shutdown by the higher ups is the next question.

Neg
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
September 02, 2014, 01:25:47 PM

Activity: 378
August 30, 2014, 06:20:08 AM

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 30, 2014, 06:08:27 AM
Activity: 378
August 30, 2014, 05:52:09 AM
legendary
Activity: 1316
August 30, 2014, 03:56:11 AM
I have one question. Can I buy something illegal there? If it is decentralised it is hard to track and I will be good platform to sell/buy not-so-legal products...

Im assuming what you can buy there is down to what people sell there, nobody would have the power to stop sellers selling something or buyers buying something since its decentralized.
Pages:
Jump to: