Pages:
Author

Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay - page 33. (Read 41580 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital
June 23, 2014, 03:43:53 PM
I can see a lot of people are saying OpenBazaar is promising and they are excited etc etc. Can someone please give me the logical explanation of why they think an open & unregulated P2P marketplace be successful ? It'll be a scammers heaven IMO. Marketplace need to have consumer protection in place for the real world to accept it... except u r talking about illegal goods.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
June 23, 2014, 03:42:57 PM
I like the concept. I think the more things that become decentralised the better. It's the greedy fees that corporations take that will kill them in the end.
We need a decentralized exchange as well. I'm not sure if anyone is working on that though (might be, but keeping it a secret).
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
June 23, 2014, 03:16:27 PM
Looks extremely promising!

I assume there will be some sort of built-in escrow service to protect against fraud.
Activity: 230
Merit: 100
Come original.
June 23, 2014, 03:04:23 PM
I totally like this idea, imagine huge doves of people migrating over to OpenBazaar

I doubt it'll have that much of effect for a while but im guessing tormarkets will adopt the technology.
Activity: 976
Merit: 575
Cryptophile at large
June 23, 2014, 02:52:45 PM
I like the concept. I think the more things that become decentralised the better. It's the greedy fees that corporations take that will kill them in the end.
Activity: 378
Merit: 100
June 23, 2014, 01:58:02 PM
I totally like this idea, imagine huge doves of people migrating over to OpenBazaar
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
CoinBooster Rep
June 23, 2014, 11:02:47 AM
My friend and I want to try and create something like this, looks like we were beaten. Embarrassed but none the less pretty sick.
Activity: 64
June 23, 2014, 10:16:57 AM
OpenBazaar needs censorship resistance, and trustlessness, or it will be subject to the same fate as Silk Road. MongoDB running on a couple servers just doesn't cut it.

Mongo is more of a caching store not a monolithic data store for the network. Bitcoin core uses Berkeley DB. Does that mean it's centralized? I don't get your argument.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
June 23, 2014, 10:02:58 AM
I get that this is an awesome thing, but so far I'm not impressed. Everyone loves to hype their latest invention as being "distributed" and "decentralized", but the fact is OpenBazaar is using a local MongoDB instance to persist data. According to their GitHub repo, the only suggested improvement to this is a switch to SQLite.

How can they possibly consider this "distributed"? DB exists only in one place at a time unless it is copied manually to other servers. No matter what, they'll have to involve a trusted third party to be the steward of the all important DB. Bitcoin solved this problem with a blockchain.

MongoDB as you mentioned is what we are using right now for our reference client to persist data. This is not required for using the OpenBazaar network. The OpenBazaar is creating a Distributed Hash Table (DHT) using Kademlia-type topology to store data like listings across all of the peers participating. I would say this makes it pretty distributed and data is replicated across multiple nodes for redundancy as well. We also plan to use the blockchain for certain activities such as timestamping contracts or potentially nickname to pubkey mappings.

I'm not saying anyone should be impressed and certainly we have probably gotten more hype than deserved for what we've delivered so far, but we also need more support (programming and thought leadership), and our roadmap stretches out so it's not like we're saying here's the product judge us now.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073
June 23, 2014, 10:01:25 AM
I just purchase something and listed something for sale on CrytoThrift to try it out.

Hmm.... I am planning to purchase this item from Crypto-thrift.

https://cryptothrift.com/auctions/marketing-seo/offshore-bank-account-visa-card-controlpanleall-in/

I have never used the site before. Is it safe to spend my coins there?

Yes, it is a trusted site. I used that site many times before. Just buy only on trusted seller and always check the escrow option. If you have problems just contact the support and they will reply immediately.
Activity: 260
June 23, 2014, 09:49:47 AM
I get that this is an awesome thing, but so far I'm not impressed. Everyone loves to hype their latest invention as being "distributed" and "decentralized", but the fact is OpenBazaar is using a local MongoDB instance to persist data. According to their GitHub repo, the only suggested improvement to this is a switch to SQLite.

How can they possibly consider this "distributed"? DB exists only in one place at a time unless it is copied manually to other servers. No matter what, they'll have to involve a trusted third party to be the steward of the all important DB. Bitcoin solved this problem with a blockchain.

OpenBazaar needs censorship resistance, and trustlessness, or it will be subject to the same fate as Silk Road. MongoDB running on a couple servers just doesn't cut it.

I fail to see much of an advantage to this solution, when they could instead set up your own clone of Silk Road, add multisig, and match OpenBazaar feature-for-feature but have total control over the development process. It seems like this is what they'll end up doing with  their time if nothing changes.

Until something is done about this, I'm going to keep thinking that they don't have a distributed platform, they have an open source platform that many individual organizations will run on their own, that don't really talk to each other or persist data in a trustless distributed manner as does Bitcoin.

You are completely misunderstanding what this database is for. It only stores data for the local node, like configurations or things that the node learns about the network. This DB is not a datastore for the network. However, there are indeed hard problems that OpenBazaar has to solve such as reputation and distributed search.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073
June 23, 2014, 09:47:49 AM
Why I need to download? So OpenBazaar is an application like bitcoin and you don't need to use a browser?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
LIR Dev. www.letitride.io
June 23, 2014, 09:45:54 AM
Think this is a great idea, missed using Bitmit and not got round to trying Cryptothrift yet.

Anybody know when it'll be released?
Activity: 49
June 23, 2014, 09:33:13 AM
I fail to see much of an advantage to this solution, when they could instead set up your own clone of Silk Road, add multisig, and match OpenBazaar feature-for-feature but have total control over the development process. It seems like this is what they'll end up doing with  their time if nothing changes.

Until something is done about this, I'm going to keep thinking that they don't have a distributed platform, they have an open source platform that many individual organizations will run on their own, that don't really talk to each other or persist data in a trustless distributed manner as does Bitcoin.
June 23, 2014, 09:31:20 AM
June 23, 2014, 09:29:47 AM

Activity: 138
June 23, 2014, 06:48:14 AM
And as you might already know through earlier correspondence, my graphic design skills are always available for the project
Activity: 138
June 23, 2014, 06:46:50 AM
I've long had the dream of a decentralized marketplace of Magic players that list a few cards of their own on the market. Creating a diverse P2P network of magic players that "crowdcreate?" the most diverse selection of MTG cards available.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
June 23, 2014, 03:20:43 AM
I just purchase something and listed something for sale on CrytoThrift to try it out.

Hmm.... I am planning to purchase this item from Crypto-thrift.

https://cryptothrift.com/auctions/marketing-seo/offshore-bank-account-visa-card-controlpanleall-in/

I have never used the site before. Is it safe to spend my coins there?
Activity: 906
Merit: 657
Do due diligence
June 22, 2014, 08:30:42 PM

I just checked out Cryptothrift.   It is pretty cool.  Obviously it could use more listings, but I am sure it will soon...

Yeah and it has a way to go for building reputation as well.
I've been on ebay for a decade so it's pretty safe to say I'm not throwing out my perfect feedback score to scam someone.
Absolutely going to try OpenBazar too but for now my big items  like precious metals and the Ant S1 I've got listed will be stuck on ebay.
Pages:
Jump to: