Pages:
Author

Topic: Opinion on the US - page 9. (Read 18959 times)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100
November 14, 2013, 11:39:34 AM
I think every country has the government it deserves, maybe not always true for dictatorships but often true for other countries.

Why exclude dictatorships?  Obviously the people chose the dictator, or the previous government (which was not a dictatorship) failed to stop the dictator, etc., etc.  They brought it on themselves Smiley
How 'bout them Germans?

North Korea could have been a really nice state without dictatorship, they are smart and hard working, they would likely have prospered like the other Asian Tigers.

Germans like order and authority, this mania for order also had some bad side-effects, but it's a logical consequence of a social-Darwinist mindset.

But education and culture are very important and they are the mainstays of our society. Humans are not animals, They can change, evolve and choose other values.
Activity: 980
Merit: 500
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
November 14, 2013, 11:38:07 AM
Why do you mean with 'blind patriotism'? Following a figure and not concerning your thoughts by yourself?

Yes, you nailed it.

Some dubious stuff happened which leads to escalation...
US President: Thailand has crossed the final line, we will have to act immediately. This means war!
Citizen #1: YEAH, fuck those taiwanese pigs! We are so much better than them, we will surely win this one. Stars and stripes!
Citizen #2: But.. We were the ones who blew up their research facility at the first place...
Citizen #1: Serves them right! Are you doubting our leader? Are you doubting the american dream, the land of the free?! Goddamn hippie communist traitor!

I don't think patriotism is a bad thing by itself. It has some advantages though.

Yes, for example when you need to promote your own products, like Ford vehicles over import cars. That's surely beneficial for local economy and people.

It's crazy how many resources are spent on importing/exporting stuff in the world, which IMO can and would be avoided. But that's a different conversation.
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
November 14, 2013, 11:16:13 AM
I don't know whether trying being powerfull or making profit is really a bad thing.. I don't think so. As long as you as you keep ethics in mind.

Why do you mean with 'blind patriotism'? Following a figure and not concerning your thoughts by yourself? I don't think patriotism is a bad thing by itself. It has some advantages though.

I'm a patriot and I'm proud of it!
But there is a difference, I love my country and I would  die for it but the author probably referred to the "blind patriotism" for the people influenced by the american propaganda, those "blind patriots" can be harmful for the rest of the world as they don't know the facts and just always assume that their country is on the right side Smiley

I spend a lot of time reading about stuff connected to my country so I know  when someone is playing against us, this kind of patriots who know what they're talking about and are not just "bullying" other countries as the US does are okay and not at any level dangerous, knowledge is the key of being fair Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
November 14, 2013, 10:44:21 AM
I don't know whether trying being powerfull or making profit is really a bad thing.. I don't think so. As long as you as you keep ethics in mind.

Why do you mean with 'blind patriotism'? Following a figure and not concerning your thoughts by yourself? I don't think patriotism is a bad thing by itself. It has some advantages though.
Activity: 980
Merit: 500
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
November 14, 2013, 10:07:07 AM
i think governments all across the world do not represent the average citizen.

Add to this, that there aren't average citizens so much as individuals.  Each of whom have different ideas.

American people are more or less  good or bad as everyone else but
american government is absolutely bad and I have the worst opinion of them.
All they want is profit and power.

As an American, I agree with this statement.

Americans are bad because they are electing and supporting their shithead leaders. Also blind patriotism is not a good thing.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
November 14, 2013, 09:51:31 AM

Add to this, that there aren't average citizens so much as individuals.  Each of whom have different ideas.

Statistically, a majority of Americans agree with it as well.
Not likely to see that on a ballot though.
Activity: 210
November 14, 2013, 07:10:30 AM
I think every country has the government it deserves, maybe not always true for dictatorships but often true for other countries.

Why exclude dictatorships?  Obviously the people chose the dictator, or the previous government (which was not a dictatorship) failed to stop the dictator, etc., etc.  They brought it on themselves Smiley
How 'bout them Germans?

legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
November 14, 2013, 05:55:50 AM
American people are more or less  good or bad as everyone else but

There is nothing wrong with the people of US its just that they are being brainwashed from a century so its not easy waking up from a century long sleep.

The more people I meet, the more it seems to me that humans generally, irrespective of race and/or national origin, have a pretty uniform distribution in terms of their methods of thinking.  There is kind of a 'fat middle' of people who can be pushed into a mushy general orientation by culture and state influenced education, but also a contingent of outliers who are just sort of in-born with characteristics that put them in a certain non-standard frame of reference.

I'd say that American culture generally is better than average at allowing the outliers to be themselves.  In other words, the culture is less constraining and less effective at molding the 'fat middle' contingent than many.

It does seem to me though that a pretty fair percentage of humans do have an ugly side.  There is relatively little concern among our population for the people we kill in the Middle East, for instance.  To some extent a lot of people are simply to pre-occupied, but there are plenty of people here to either just don't care or actually like that we do it.  Some of this has to do with our mainstream media to be sure.

Activity: 388
Merit: 250
November 14, 2013, 04:33:58 AM
I don't suppose it would be a matter of time until a third political force start to challenge both the Republicans and the Democrats?
Activity: 434
November 14, 2013, 04:13:33 AM

Americans wanted a cowboy for president that starts wars, they had Bush, after they wanted a black President to get any credit, they have Obama.

Russians want a strong leader who can take decisions by force, they have Poutine.

Chinese people want a strong central goverment to be their political father who can direct them into their common goals.

In the Nordic countries, the People and their politicians are the most trusting and the least corrupt in the world.

Yes, Joseph de Maistre was right: "Every country has the government it deserves". Americans have the power to change, and if everybody complains about how bad the government is doing, it's their own faults for putting them in the first place.

i think that is just broad brushing. gore actually won the popular vote, so more people voted for him than they did bush. and even if he didn't win the popular vote, it was still basically something like 48% vs. 48%. to say that a country of 300 million people deserved bush because 48% of the people voted for him is.. kind of reaching far.

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
November 13, 2013, 10:56:43 PM

Americans wanted a cowboy for president that starts wars, they had Bush, after they wanted a black President to get any credit, they have Obama.

Russians want a strong leader who can take decisions by force, they have Poutine.

Chinese people want a strong central goverment to be their political father who can direct them into their common goals.

In the Nordic countries, the People and their politicians are the most trusting and the least corrupt in the world.

Yes, Joseph de Maistre was right: "Every country has the government it deserves". Americans have the power to change, and if everybody complains about how bad the government is doing, it's their own faults for putting them in the first place.

Very broad generalizations.  Often US presidents have had less than 50% "approval ratings" for much of their time in office:

Usually just a pick of two choices, most do not get what they want, even when they think they do.
Activity: 146
November 13, 2013, 10:43:55 PM

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com
November 13, 2013, 02:36:39 PM

There is nothing wrong with the people of US its just that they are being brainwashed from a century so its not easy waking up from a century long sleep.
Activity: 364
November 13, 2013, 02:14:08 PM

Activity: 294
November 13, 2013, 02:13:04 PM
Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com
November 13, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
USA is really crossing their limits  Angry  Will there ever be enough of their corporate plunder ?
Are their any hackers from Anonymous group here, wreck havoc on USA already !
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
November 13, 2013, 12:40:24 PM
That "Nah, all is okay" was the reaction to "finding out" (as if they did not know, how dense can you be?) that the NSA was basically wiretapping all of germany. Months ago.

The "ALARM! ZHE americans are spying on us" was the reaction a few weeks ago to "finding out" that Merkels phone was tapped. Somehow it makes me kinda angry that our politicians seem to think they are that much more improtant than, say, me. Oh well, derailing the thread.

November 13, 2013, 11:37:13 AM
The spying was bad. At least the german governments reaction was worse. For months all the politician were like "nah, zhe americans are our vriends! all is a-ok". Later it urns out the NSA and the GCHQ were spying on Chanceller Merkels "MerkelPhone" and everybody throws a hissy fit. Idiots.

Well, at least we won't have to fear Merkel commiting any acts of terrorism, I guess.

why would they think americans aren't their friends?
they couldn't possibly know that they were spying them :/
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
November 13, 2013, 11:27:56 AM
The spying was bad. At least the german governments reaction was worse. For months all the politician were like "nah, zhe americans are our vriends! all is a-ok". Later it urns out the NSA and the GCHQ were spying on Chanceller Merkels "MerkelPhone" and everybody throws a hissy fit. Idiots.

Well, at least we won't have to fear Merkel commiting any acts of terrorism, I guess.
November 13, 2013, 11:10:07 AM
I find USA to be hypocratic, two-faced, noisy and too dominant to other countries Cheesy
There noisyness is sometimes useful but mostly it's just not Cheesy
For example they spied on almost every major person in most European country altough they have no possible threat from those countries..

Take down the USA Babylon  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: