Pages:
Author

Topic: Police State? - page 13. (Read 25882 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
April 23, 2013, 05:06:42 PM
How do you handle scammers in a non-police state? Just kill anyone you think is cheating for some reason? (That would end up with 1 person left standing eventually)
With respect, Matt, this deserves it's own thread. Putting it in here is just going to get it all dirty.
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
April 23, 2013, 05:05:42 PM
What country is so free that by comparison the US is repressive enough to qualify as a police state?

The Press Freedom Index has 31 countries ahead of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

You must mean this revision:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Press_Freedom_Index&oldid=551856168

Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
April 23, 2013, 05:05:05 PM
How do you handle scammers in a non-police state? Just kill anyone you think is cheating for some reason? (That would end up with 1 person left standing eventually)
April 23, 2013, 05:04:03 PM
Would you like to bring up the mis-typed pip instead of pipe for the three thousandth time, douchebag?
No, you do that well enough.

Evidence or it didn't happen, douchebag.

Would you like to bring up the mis-typed pip instead of pipe for the three thousandth time

Though since you mention it, why were so many people on the outside of those APCs, if they were worried about explosives? Wouldn't they be safer on the other side of the armor?
Sure.  What's your point?  That while the pipe bombs were not being thrown there were people sticking their heads outside APC's?  So what?  America is not Iraq.
No, that they were riding on the sides of said APCs. If one is concerned about explosives (which is why you stated the APCs were brought out) one would be wise to at least not provide human shields for your tanks.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
April 23, 2013, 05:02:40 PM
What country is so free that by comparison the US is repressive enough to qualify as a police state?

I've worked in Finland which is the free-est and the US; both for a year or 2.  Its hard to argue that the US is so much less free than Finland that its repressive. If I compare either of them to China, then the words "repression" and "scary" come screaming out but its China that was horrible, not Finland or the US.

Does anyone really feel that Finland is so much more free than the US that the US rates are a repressive country to live in?
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
April 23, 2013, 05:00:03 PM
Define "police state." Surely we all live in police states in that we all have police and we all provide them with whatever firepower we think they might need?

police state: a state or country in which a repressive government maintains control through the police

in every police state there are people who maintain the government is not repressive, or is necessarily so.

Repression is not an objective term; it can only be assessed in comparison to others.

Imaginationland. Equestria. Teletubby Fun Land. To name but three...
April 23, 2013, 04:59:19 PM
and so we are like a police state?  the 31st most free country on earth is like a police state?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
April 23, 2013, 04:58:15 PM

April 23, 2013, 04:57:06 PM
Webster says a Police State is:

a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures

America is NOTHING like that description.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
April 23, 2013, 04:56:24 PM
It's all in how you twitch the cape in front of the anvil to get el Toro to charge.

"Why pay taxes?" still gets them inflamed, based on some the posts I've seen here.
legendary
April 23, 2013, 04:55:28 PM
Define "police state." Surely we all live in police states in that we all have police and we all provide them with whatever firepower we think they might need?

police state: a state or country in which a repressive government maintains control through the police

in every police state there are people who maintain the government is not repressive, or is necessarily so.

Repression is not an objective term; it can only be assessed in comparison to others.

April 23, 2013, 04:55:14 PM
maintains control through the police

That is not a good definition of a police state.  Please look up the DICTIONARY definition.

Which dictionary?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/police+state?s=t
April 23, 2013, 04:53:07 PM
maintains control through the police

That is not a good definition of a police state.  Please look up the DICTIONARY definition.

April 23, 2013, 04:52:02 PM
Would you like to bring up the mis-typed pip instead of pipe for the three thousandth time, douchebag?

Evidence or it didn't happen, douchebag.

Though since you mention it, why were so many people on the outside of those APCs, if they were worried about explosives? Wouldn't they be safer on the other side of the armor?
Sure.  What's your point?  That while the pipe bombs were not being thrown there were people sticking their heads outside APC's?  So what?  America is not Iraq.
April 23, 2013, 04:50:59 PM

I do not hold this simplified view of the world.  Like my conversation with so many morons in this thread I was simply reacting to the terrorist loving douche-bags repeated accusation that America is (or ?Massachusetts? is) a Police State.  That was my best momentary attempt at:
"I hate you I hate you infinity".  Which sums up the level of discourse in this and so many similar threads.

don't you see that conflating social criticism with support for acts of terrorism is a fundamental part of the propaganda narratives of a repressive (police) state?
legendary
April 23, 2013, 04:42:56 PM
April 23, 2013, 04:33:54 PM

April 23, 2013, 04:29:37 PM
Would you like to bring up the mis-typed pip instead of pipe for the three thousandth time, douchebag?  Or can we agree that America is not now, never has been and hopefully never will be a Police State?
April 23, 2013, 04:27:01 PM
I hate you I hate you infinity.
Well, your well-reasoned, scathing rebuttal has certainly won the day, sir.  Cheesy
April 23, 2013, 04:24:09 PM
Anyone with a different opinion is a terrorist. Everyone!

I do not hold this simplified view of the world.  Like my conversation with so many morons in this thread I was simply reacting to the terrorist loving douche-bags repeated accusation that America is (or ?Massachusetts? is) a Police State.  That was my best momentary attempt at:
"I hate you I hate you infinity".  Which sums up the level of discourse in this and so many similar threads.

Webster says a Police State is:

a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures
Pages:
Jump to: