Pages:
Author

Topic: Politics, statism, anarchism, racism; split from: Wall Observer thread - page 16. (Read 5403 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
So how many more coins need to be stolen before it's no longer a problem? What if coinbase were to disappear? Bitstamp? OKCoin? Houbi? Bitfinix? Are you cool with those companies having no oversight and all those people having their coins and fiat disappear overnight? I'm personally not. I believe in consumer protection.
To each his own. I get it though, the argument is always protection. Fact is we have laws already, and they're sufficient. The people running those companies face a lot of criminal and civil liability. If they aren't being transparent enough, move somewhere else or get out and wait until something else comes up that fits your needs. If they steal your money, they've violated the law and they should face those lawful ramifications.

But if companies are doing business on the consumers behalf, they should at least be held accountable to some standards.
They are... we already have laws that protect against theft, fraud, and more no?

Could you imagine if we followed your "Free market" corrections? Would you want to go to a doctor that doesn't have a license that is overseen by a board that makes sure he/she is qualified to treat you?
The assumption here is that a board wouldn't be created in a free market. Why?

Or would you be okay with dying knowing that eventually the free market will get rid of that doctor....and either another unfit doctor will take his place (and will be replaced once negilance occurs  by the free market) or maybe you will get a good doctor to take their place? Or maybe it doesn't matter since you'd be dead anyways right?
Lots of shitty doctors get by your so called "boards" (a lot of which I'd guess are market-driven and not governmental) just like lots of shitty drugs and food/beverage get passed the "FDA." Your assumptions are that "centralized authority is benevolent and more intelligent than the people who vote those people into authority." I can't subscribe to that assumption because it's patently false. It's surely comforting for people that are lazy and would prefer to defer due diligence. I'm different I guess.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
World Class Cryptonaire
Allow some regulation, especially of businesses that store/hold bitcoin is good for the community as a whole. We don't want another Gox or inputs.io tragedy. As far as consumers go regulation will be light, and if it isn't well there is a reason why bitcoin is psuedoanonymous Cheesy
It's my belief that centralized regulations nurture apathy and a lack of personal accountability. To suggest that the free market wouldn't fill a void for "quality-proofing" an industry is misguided to me. Lots of people learned a valuable lesson from MtGox. Likely 90%+ of those people (including myself) won't make the same mistake again. That's progress, and it's positive. The more people learn through experience and adapt, the better. Coddling is negative.

P.S. Panopto is a POS.

So how many more coins need to be stolen before it's no longer a problem? What if coinbase were to disappear? Bitstamp? OKCoin? Houbi? Bitfinix? Are you cool with those companies having no oversight and all those people having their coins and fiat disappear overnight? I'm personally not. I believe in consumer protection.

Let the consumers be free to spend/transfer bitcoins whenever and whereever they want. But if companies are doing business on the consumers behalf, they should at least be held accountable to some standards.

Could you imagine if we followed your "Free market" corrections? Would you want to go to a doctor that doesn't have a license that is overseen by a board that makes sure he/she is qualified to treat you? Or would you be okay with dying knowing that eventually the free market will get rid of that doctor....and either another unfit doctor will take his place (and will be replaced once negilance occurs  by the free market) or maybe you will get a good doctor to take their place? Or maybe it doesn't matter since you'd be dead anyways right?
Pages:
Jump to: