Pages:
Author

Topic: POLL: What's the *real* reason you ever got into Bitcoins? - page 4. (Read 13686 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
to help establish an decent, alternative currency.

This.  Not sure why all the options center around getting rich or getting a shot of adrenaline.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
a combination of crypto, decentralization, (near) anonymity, and to help establish an decent, alternative currency.
Activity: 12
I did it for the crypto. :-)
Activity: 22
I want to make money! I'm a freshman in high school, and I want to get started early. I'm extremely tech-savvy - my friend and I are working on building a huge rig in his open garage with VNC to manage the computers.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Meh, not so many Sad There is still a long road ahead. After earning some BTC I went in search for something to buy, you know..anything just to see the thing actually working. Found nothing worth buying unfortunately, the market is still evolving I suppose?
Oh, the reason...free great video cards (that I can only dream about before) great hardware, cool weird looking rigs humming away while warming the house and making some money along the way...how can you resist that?
Activity: 353
Merit: 250
I went here because of it's an interesting value free of fees
and also it is accepted on many sites
Activity: 45
"hand over your wallet.dat" - I want to see that line in a movie! Awesome!
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
I'm interested to see how the economy develops. There's not currently many vendors in my area, and perhaps I'll work some to change that...

I'm really interested in getting tangible in-person goods and services (e.g. contracting, mechanic work, restaurants) to be exchanged for bitcoin.

As a necessary precursor we will need to make it easier (as in, trivial for a novice computer user) to use a secure two-wallet system.

In our current economy (= USD/EUR/etc credit/debit system economy) a lot of fraud prevention is built in after the fact, and laws and policing enforce a kind of loose cap on the maximum amount of fraud you can get away with. In the bitcoin system, the individual takes on all of that responsibility. We need to provide them with tools that keep the total conceptual overhead down to a minimum, but still has good resistance to the main threat models: (loss of wallet, and wallet stealing, both on disk and in-memory)

-s

This is true as in the risks users of this system are now taking on themselves and with that amount of control you have over you financial resources, you now have responsibility to treat them in the same way as if you have a bag of cash.  Not advertising you have large amounts of money and physical security are very important for your own well being.

Dal
Activity: 29
I'm interested to see how the economy develops. There's not currently many vendors in my area, and perhaps I'll work some to change that...

I'm really interested in getting tangible in-person goods and services (e.g. contracting, mechanic work, restaurants) to be exchanged for bitcoin.

As a necessary precursor we will need to make it easier (as in, trivial for a novice computer user) to use a secure two-wallet system.

In our current economy (= USD/EUR/etc credit/debit system economy) a lot of fraud prevention is built in after the fact, and laws and policing enforce a kind of loose cap on the maximum amount of fraud you can get away with. In the bitcoin system, the individual takes on all of that responsibility. We need to provide them with tools that keep the total conceptual overhead down to a minimum, but still has good resistance to the main threat models: (loss of wallet, and wallet stealing, both on disk and in-memory)

-s
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
*Real Reason*

My real reason comes from the sheer amount of monetary history that I have read and now understand what has happened here and where it is going.  My goal is to add as much legitimacy and trust to the Bitcoin Ecosystem.  The more of that we bring to Bitcoin, the more accepted, disruptive and farther it will go.    First step for me is to create a mining company so we can add more infrastructure to the network and produce capital so we can open more doors.

Down the line, there are some critical services that will need to be developed and those are some other companies I will be developing with my partner. 

Any questions, please send me messages direct or quote this post and ask away.  I'll do my best.

Dal
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
I see my bitcoin holdings as gambling for nerds. Acording to http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=21000000+%2F+world+population evenly distributed everyone would own 0.00309 bitcoins, so even owning one bitcoin gives you the theoretial buying power of 323 average people. I'm part of the 1%  Grin (of bitcoin)
Activity: 10
Just a camgirl looking to expand her business a little.
Activity: 560
40% Greed
10% Money I can "make" myself
10% Money I Control
10% A Globalized currency
10% Truly Decentralized
10% peer-to-peer
10% Its Digital
Activity: 609
Because I'm a Libertarian and figured if the Federal Reserve is allowed to make money illegally why can't I!

+1 on all accounts. Smiley
Activity: 6
I thought is was very interesting and maybe it would be the currency of the future !
Activity: 4
I got in because of greed. Is it good?

Depends on who you ask.

I'm a semiotician specializing in economic history, which means I'm interested in how people craft money and the specific forms that it takes. Bitcoin is very interesting to me from an academic standpoint.
Activity: 25
I got in because of greed. Is it good?
Activity: 44
The "real" reason was because I saw a great SPIDER! crawling on my wall. When I tried HITTING! it I accidentally went on google and somehow pushed enter and the first search on there was the wiki on bitcoin and started reading it and thought it sounded amazing. I was finally thinking we could save the world from papershortage!

Or.

A friend told me about it and was wondering if we could mine to keep our rented server up.
Activity: 9
It just feels so future. Like something out of Cryptonomicon.
Activity: 8
mine your own free money?
Hell Yeahz
Pages:
Jump to: