Pages:
Author

Topic: POLL: What's the *real* reason you ever got into Bitcoins? - page 5. (Read 13686 times)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I got introduced to bitcoin through betcoin (poker room), and then started reading up more about it, and then started mining, and the rest...
Activity: 20
I got into bitcoin because it is AWESOME. viva la hash
Activity: 21
I happened across an article about it that piqued my interest, then found out I (as a gamer with AMD cards) was in the right place at the right time. Now I'm pumping out ~900 Mhash/s without having invested anything (yet) into hardware costs.

Video card upgrades that pay for themselves? May even turn a profit? Sign me up for that.
Activity: 5
benchmarking my systems and getting paid for it Smiley
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
Lower Fees/Known inflation risk

I do not think you know the inflation risk, until now it is still unpredictable.

If you are just referring to the daily new minted coins, you do not see the whole picture.
Although, right now there are more BTC in circulation (more than 6 mill) than at the beginning (0!) --apparent inflation

right now 1 BTC is worth more; in terms of products you can buy.

Remember: the 10000BTC one pizza.
so deflation

Is it predictable?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Lower Fees/Known inflation risk
Activity: 113
1.investment opportunity
2.Low fees (0?) transactions
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
So I can buy things from normal people over the net without a middleman. Just that simple. all the speculation, arbitrage, etc. that came later. The real strength of bitcoin is simplicity. 
Activity: 10

Just pure experiment, as GPU mining is non economical here
due to high electricity costs...
Activity: 590
Merit: 500
The easiest way to send and receive money worldwide

While it may be very simple to send Bitcoins to anyone anywhere (as long as they have a Bitcoin address AND you already have the Bitcoins in your wallet), it's a whole 'nother matter to start the process from cash in hand.

Cash in hand > bank > dwolla > MTG/TH > personal wallet > other person

A real big pain in the ass chain that can take as long as a week to get through and has several fees along the way. The entire process needs to become faster, cheaper, and more user friendly. Hell, just for the bank to dwolla part my bank wants:

- $3 to transfer in three business days
- $10 for next business day
- afraid to even list price for same business day

As long as the money is in my account, WTF should this even take more than a few hours? It's a routine, AUTOMATED transfer by the banks computers, no human even needed. No need to delay or charge high fees although you might end up with next day instead of same day if you transfer late in the day or after hours. Sending a money order directly to MTG/TH would both speed up the process and make it cheaper BUT that's a meatspace work-around to a digitalspace problem.

I'm starting to rant so I'll just stop here  Undecided

i am consistently amazed by the stupidity that is moving money in the US.

interac e-transfer - money moved in 30 minutes or less.
Activity: 15
I wanted to code a trading bot for fun and profit, but i failed so now I'm the bot.
Activity: 84
Its an interesting concept that people all across the world can trade with one form of currency.

Its fun to be part of Bitcoin project because sometime in the near future we will find out if bitcoins become something greater or fade away in history.

So I would say Bitcoins is a hobby for me.
Activity: 84
I need an new box...

While it may be very simple to send Bitcoins to anyone anywhere (as long as they have a Bitcoin address AND you already have the Bitcoins in your wallet), it's a whole 'nother matter to start the process from cash in hand.

Cash in hand > bank > dwolla > MTG/TH > personal wallet > other person

A real big pain in the ass chain that can take as long as a week to get through and has several fees along the way. The entire process needs to become faster, cheaper, and more user friendly. Hell, just for the bank to dwolla part my bank wants:

- $3 to transfer in three business days
- $10 for next business day
- afraid to even list price for same business day

As long as the money is in my account, WTF should this even take more than a few hours? It's a routine, AUTOMATED transfer by the banks computers, no human even needed. No need to delay or charge high fees although you might end up with next day instead of same day if you transfer late in the day or after hours. Sending a money order directly to MTG/TH would both speed up the process and make it cheaper BUT that's a meatspace work-around to a digitalspace problem.

I'm starting to rant so I'll just stop here  Undecided
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Activity: 22
The whole decentralized currency was an intriguing concept to me, I figured I'd check it out.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
decentralizedhashing.com
BTC is the best idea I've seen in a long time.
Activity: 35
FREE VIDEO CARDS  Grin
Activity: 24
my username, free of charge. long before bf3
Activity: 8
I got involved with BTC mining because I like to dabble in mathematical projects....

I've been with distributed.net almost since the beginning My team page is here: http://stats.distributed.net/team/tmsummary.php?project_id=8&team=10621.

I've also been involved with factoring large integers for ~3 years (http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)...
Activity: 70
Free cash, baby. Cheesy
this.  my first BTC was donated to Dark Shikari, lead developer of x264.  haven't spent any coins yet.  you guys should donate some coins to him if you like x264. Wink (his address is 1M97B78c7TBvuU8XRfwifP5yxBZdLRhjaP)
Pages:
Jump to: